• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse 2 in the Works and it Could be Multiplatform, Xbox Insider Says to Have Heard

Andodalf

Banned
first one was ok. Super pretty tho. Knowing Xbox's luck a sequel will be multiplatform and become a hit.
They've let so many franchises slip out of their fingers. Mass Effect, Saints Row, TitanFall, Sunset Overdrive

They never owned any of those games. A better comparison would be Alan Wake, which doesn't even really have a sequel, but which they actually did have the right to.

Barlow

They never owned any of those games. A better comparison would be Alan Wake, which doesn't even really have a sequel, but which they actually did have the right to.
Uhm MS never owned the IP they had the console publishing rights..

Last edited:

Fahdis

The first game was amazing on the hardest setting. It gave you a serious challenge on how to play more strategically. And everytime you were able to fight the battles properly, you felt amazing. I think you learn the battle system by the time you're at the place with the seige and barbarians keep coming up above the ladders.

By the time you get to the final battle and final cutscene QTE without the prompts. You are so good at everything that you feel like a god. Amazing game.

Romulus

They need to go bigger. Something between Mount and Blade and Ryse 1, but more accessible(not easy) combat and mechanics. I wanna see hundreds of legionnaires of squaring off against barbarian hordes, not this linear bullshit with smoke and mirrors to appear bigger than it is. The cpu technology is there, fuck having slightly shiner armor, give us AAA with scale.

Last edited:

Goalus

They need to go bigger. Something between Mount and Blade and Ryse 1, but more accessible(not easy) combat and mechanics. I wanna see hundreds of legionnaires of squaring off against barbarian hordes, not this linear bullshit with smoke and mirrors to appear bigger than it is. The cpu technology is there, fuck having slightly shiner armor, give us AAA with scale.
I don't agree.
They just need to evolve what they already have. More enemy variety, tone down the QTEs, and make the story and characters more interesting (the game already had a few great moments, they just didn't utilize them to the full extent and the characters were a bit to distant to make me really care about them like those in Gears of War). The result would be a 85 to 93 MC game.

Last edited:

Romulus

I don't agree.
They just need to evolve what they already have. More enemy variety, tone down the QTEs, and make the story and characters more interesting (the game already had a few great moments, they just didn't utilize them to the full extent and the characters were a bit to distant to make me really care about them like those in Gears of War). The result would be a 85 to 93 MC game.

I just think the game was way too simple. Fighting the same 3 enemies over and over with different skins. We need something that stands on it's own, and even improving ryse 1 would still be an ultra simple game.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be my first choice but ok. Played through the first on my xsx and found it to be alright but not amazing. Maybe it could be evolved into something better? I’m a bit sceptical about this one.

Edit: I just now realized this thread was from may.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Im surprised theres a sequel ,i thought the first one had alot of QTE and wasnt that fun.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Underrated fun game that looks great. The combat was simplistic but not everything needs to be ball breaking. Nice other platforms may get to enjoy it. Played it on the PC.

Banned
the first game is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played... it is so unfathomably terrible it's almost hard to believe it released the way it did... I get that the development was very troublesome but holy shit...

so if they actually make a second game, they basically can't use a single piece of gameplay relevant code from the original, because all of it is so fucking shit... I CAN NOT emphasise enough HOW FUCKING BAD this game is... it was like if a 6yo who started dabbling in Unity Engine tried to make a fighting system without knowing how to make one... that's basically Ryse in a nutshell... IT IS SO BAD...

I was repeating myself here a lot... but it is genuinely hard to bring across just how shit this game is

this clip from IT Crowd is what comes to mind thinking about playing Ryse

Last edited:
I love how people dunk on Ryse and then praise God of War. There are just as many, if not more, scripted and QTE-style button events in GoW. Cracks me up. Look at the first 10 minutes of this and tell me it's not the same with a different skin.

If you played Ryse on the higher difficulties you enjoyed the game and it's not that far removed from modern PS games IMO. Take a look at this 2:49:45 -

They both have on the rails mission design, they both have attack/defend/evade/ranged, they both have button prompts and mini-QTE third person events during combat, they both take control from the player for story, in engine cutscenes & QTE bits while you're playing the mission. Same shit different shovel.

I'd love another Ryse. The story was really well done, multiplayer was fun for a bit and the single player was quite enjoyable on higher difficulties. I think Ryse sold itself out on normal difficulties, where it sucked. It's a pity the OG Xbone was a shite selling console and this game didn't get more exposure.

Last edited:

Banned
I love how people dunk on Ryse and then praise God of War. There are just as many, if not more, scripted and QTE-style button events in GoW. Cracks me up. Look at the first 10 minutes of this and tell me it's not the same with a different skin.

If you played Ryse on the higher difficulties you enjoyed the game and it's not that far removed from modern PS games IMO. Take a look at this 2:49:45 -

They both have on the rails mission design, they both have attack/defend/evade/ranged, they both have button prompts and mini-QTE third person events during combat, they both take control from the player for story, in engine cutscenes & QTE bits while you're playing the mission. Same shit different shovel.

I'd love another Ryse. The story was really well done, multiplayer was fun for a bit and the single player was quite enjoyable on higher difficulties. I think Ryse sold itself out on normal difficulties, where it sucked. It's a pity the OG Xbone was a shite selling console and this game didn't get more exposure.

I am always telling people that God of War 4 is overrated like crazy, there is nothing special about it...
BUT...
Sorry but Ryse is legitimately just a fucking dogshit game from start to finish, everything about the gameplay is pure and utter trash.

The fighting system is a crime against humanity, the animations are beyond trash, there is literally NO system here to see... it's button mashing without any rime or reason... no combos... no depth... but that isn't even the worst about it. the worst part is just how fucking retarded it feels to play, I was think about a word that best describes how it feels to play Ryse... and retarded is the only word that truly describes it. It feels like there is something fundamentally wrong with every part of the character controller script in this game.

everything feels delayed, everything feels sluggish, everything feels semi-scripted and automated...
so yeah, I think the only true way to describe Ryse is that it feels retarded, like it had a severe birth defect, even shitty licensed games like Avatar The Burning Earth don't play and feel this bad, and actually have more depth to their gameplay than Ryse.

I am known by many on this forum from constantly shitting on Uncharted and TLOU for their shallow gameplay and all show + no substance to their gamedesign, but Ryse... Ryse takes this to a whole 'nother level, to a level that is almost not believable given that it was made with a AAA budget and a big first party launch title... it makes The Order 1886 look like a decent game, that's how bad it is.

so don't you dare compare it to God of War which has a mediocre but not terrible fighting system and has more than 3 enemy types...

I am always telling people that God of War 4 is overrated like crazy, there is nothing special about it...
BUT...
Sorry but Ryse is legitimately just a fucking dogshit game from start to finish, everything about the gameplay is pure and utter trash.

The fighting system is a crime against humanity, the animations are beyond trash, there is literally NO system here to see... it's button mashing without any rime or reason... no combos... no depth... but that isn't even the worst about it. the worst part is just how fucking retarded it feels to play, I was think about a word that best describes how it feels to play Ryse... and retarded is the only word that truly describes it. It feels like there is something fundamentally wrong with every part of the character controller script in this game.

everything feels delayed, everything feels sluggish, everything feels semi-scripted and automated...
so yeah, I think the only true way to describe Ryse is that it feels retarded, like it had a severe birth defect, even shitty licensed games like Avatar The Burning Earth don't play and feel this bad, and actually have more depth to their gameplay than Ryse.

I am known by many on this forum from constantly shitting on Uncharted and TLOU for their shallow gameplay and all show + no substance to their gamedesign, but Ryse... Ryse takes this to a whole 'nother level, to a level that is almost not believable given that it was made with a AAA budget and a big first party launch title... it makes The Order 1886 look like a decent game, that's how bad it is.

so don't you dare compare it to God of War which has a mediocre but not terrible fighting system and has more than 3 enemy types...

Do you actually enjoy games? Honest question.

Banned
Do you actually enjoy games? Honest question.

I enjoyed God of War :) I'm just not as easily impressed by "muh graphix" than most people, so I see right through those wannabe Hollywood games like Uncharted... but that isn't even needed for Ryse, because that game is so bad it is like a twilight zone episode whenever I hear people defend it.

I enjoyed God of War :) I'm just not as easily impressed by "muh graphix" than most people, so I see right through those wannabe Hollywood games like Uncharted... but that isn't even needed for Ryse, because that game is so bad it is like a twilight zone episode whenever I hear people defend it.

Fair enough if that's your reaction. I enjoyed a playthrough for Ryse, story was great, action was fun (for a limited time and higher difficulty setting) and I'm not burnt out on games that use these combat systems as I don't play that many. I have no interest in buying a PS for Uncharted or GoW as I'm not there to "play" a movie. Games like Rayman, Halo, Apex, Forza, Mario, Zelda etc. They all hold my attention and gaming time far more. Thoroughly enjoyed ACIV black flag but I don't play "all" the other UBI games, so again I'm not burnt on that style of combat or mini-in-game-QTE stuff.

I think a sequel to Ryse could do really good. They have a nice based to build from. I'd enjoy a more complex combat system but not too much more, it just creates tedium over fun IMO. I think that's where we differ. Shit like Dark Souls holds zero interest for me, millisecond timing, repeat until you learn a pattern, die while learning then repeat and repeat again. Borrrring.

That's just a daft comparison to make

Banned
Fair enough if that's your reaction. I enjoyed a playthrough for Ryse, story was great, action was fun (for a limited time and higher difficulty setting) and I'm not burnt out on games that use these combat systems as I don't play that many. I have no interest in buying a PS for Uncharted or GoW as I'm not there to "play" a movie. Games like Rayman, Halo, Apex, Forza, Mario, Zelda etc. They all hold my attention and gaming time far more. Thoroughly enjoyed ACIV black flag but I don't play "all" the other UBI games, so again I'm not burnt on that style of combat or mini-in-game-QTE stuff.

I think a sequel to Ryse could do really good. They have a nice based to build from. I'd enjoy a more complex combat system but not too much more, it just creates tedium over fun IMO. I think that's where we differ. Shit like Dark Souls holds zero interest for me, millisecond timing, repeat until you learn a pattern, die while learning then repeat and repeat again. Borrrring.

it's not even about the "type" of combat system. Batman Arkham did this "type" of combat amazingly. Ryse on the other hand is pure garbage of the highest degree. you literally walk along a corridor and fight the same enemy types over and over, using the worst iteration of this Assassin's Creed/Batman style fighting system ever created.

I just played it again a few months ago just to test how it looks on PC, and even thinking back I thought "well it can't be as bad as I remember right?"... and oh boy was a I wrong. It literally feels like there is something fundamentally wrong with their character controller... like they downloaded a really shitty one from the Unity asset store and just slapped it in there, that's how Ryse feels to play.

This has nothing to do with the type of game it is, or with the type of fighting system it uses, it is all about the execution of both, and the execution in this game is so bad that it really is hard to believe, I was shocked when I played it again, even at 100fps it feels so sluggish that you'd think there's something wrong with your controller

Last edited:
That's just a daft comparison to make
There's a lot of info in your post for me to parse, I'll take some time to ponder your insight.
it's not even about the "type" of combat system. Batman Arkham did this "type" of combat amazingly. Ryse on the other hand is pure garbage of the highest degree. you literally walk along a corridor and fight the same enemy types over and over, using the worst iteration of this Assassin's Creed/Batman style fighting system ever created.

I just played it again a few months ago just to test how it looks on PC, and even thinking back I thought "well it can't be as bad as I remember right?"... and oh boy was a I wrong. It literally feels like there is something fundamentally wrong with their character controller... like they downloaded a really shitty one from the Unity asset store and just slapped it in there, that's how Ryse feels to play.

This has nothing to do with the type of game it is, or with the type of fighting system it uses, it is all about the execution of both, and the execution in this game is so bad that it really is hard to believe, I was shocked when I played it again, even at 100fps it feels so sluggish that you'd think there's something wrong with your controller

Agreed Batman Arkham did the combat far better. Spidey is another one that excels in that combat space. One has to remember Ryse was 6 years earlier than Batman though.

There's a lot of info in your post for me to parse, I'll take some time to ponder your insight.

Not sure what else i should say. It's clear you haven't played GoW if you think its even remotely similar to Ryse beyond being a third person hack and slash

Again. Daft comparison

Last edited:
Not sure what else i should say. It's clear you haven't played GoW if you think its even remotely similar to Ryse beyond being a third person hack and slash

Again. Daft comparison
They both have on the rails mission design, they both have attack/defend/evade/ranged, they both have button prompts and mini-QTE third person events during combat, they both take control from the player for story, in engine cutscenes & QTE bits while you're playing the mission

So none of that true then? I get there's more to GoW, it's a larger dev team, budget, established franchise and other elements to the game. Specifically the argument posters have about Ryse being a button/QTE pusher are pretty directly comparable to games like GoW or Batman etc. Batman/Spidey is far better than Ryse, GoW not so much IMO.

So none of that true then? I get there's more to GoW, it's a larger dev team, budget, established franchise and other elements to the game. Specifically the argument posters have about Ryse being a button/QTE pusher are pretty directly comparable to games like GoW or Batman etc. Batman/Spidey is far better than Ryse, GoW not so much IMO.

Ryse was shat on because it was a shallow QTE game. Not becuse it had QTE's. Fuck tons of games have them. God of War's combat doesn't even revolve around the QTEs like it does with Ryse so I don't even get your point there

What you're trying to argueis equivilient to comparing Homefront to something like DOOM. The former's gunplay is trash but who cares they're both still FPS games right?

Last edited:
Ryse was shat on because it was a shallow QTE game. Not becuse it had QTE's. Fuck tons of games have them. God of War's combat doesn't even revolve around the QTEs like it does with Ryse so I don't even get your point there

What you're trying to argueis equivilient to comparing Homefront to something like DOOM. The former's gunplay is trash but who cares they're both still FPS games right?

You're being reductive. The videos I posted have actual direct combat comparisons. You can see the same semi-freedom of movement within on the rails missions, players then "aiming/walking" towards enemies, choosing an attack(s) and then button prompts/mini-QTEs present in both at critical timings. The combat systems are similar. Is one better than the other? Sure but not to the extent of say Batman Arkham. Anyhow you don't like Ryse and I do. You like GoW and I don't.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We need a dedicated Ryse VS thread. It happens in every thread anyway.

Ryse is good, not great or a 10/10 by any means but it makes total sense why a lot of people like it a lot. Come at me bro.

You're being reductive. The videos I posted have actual direct combat comparisons. You can see the same semi-freedom of movement within on the rails missions, players then "aiming/walking" towards enemies, choosing an attack(s) and then button prompts/mini-QTEs present in both at critical timings. The combat systems are similar. Is one better than the other? Sure but not to the extent of say Batman Arkham. Anyhow you don't like Ryse and I do. You like GoW and I don't.

I liked Ryse. I''ve just not deluded myself to thinking the two games are even remotely similar. Actually play the game.

God of War isn't on-rails either. It''s a semi-open world style game with backtracking and metroidvania elements. Ryse is just a chapter based game.

I mean come the fuck on. You're calling me reductive and yet you descrive God of Wars gameplay as walking towards an enemys and attacking? Gee, what other games do that? Oh yeah, like, every single other game with melee combat

Last edited:
I liked Ryse. I''ve just not deluded myself to thinking the two games are even remotely similar. Actually play the game.

God of War isn't on-rails either. It''s the semi-open world style game with backtracking and metroidvania elements. Ryse is a chapter based game.

I mean come the fuck on. You're calling me reductive and yet you compare God of Wars gameplay as walking towards an enemys and attacking? Gee, what other games do that? Oh yeah, like, every single other game with melee combat
I'm not talking about the whole GoW game. I get it and I even said it has more to the game that Ryse. I'm specifically targeting this idea, as you said, "it was a shallow QTE game". Specifically that comment is present exactly in GoW and directly comparable to Ryse. I don't see such a gap of difference I think Ryse was a total failure, you do apparently.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Chat dont appear on my screen what does it says

In this video at the 0:47 mark the image of a Greek or Roman soldier can be seen. Xbox has been known to hide things in the past, with both the setting to Forza Horizon 5 and the new Xbox Wirelrss headset being teased in the Power Your Dreams video long before their announcements.

Edit: There was a data leak from Crytek last year that also shows a Ryze Next as being at least pitched, if not in full development.

I'm not talking about the whole GoW game. I get it and I even said it has more to the game that Ryse. I'm specifically targeting this idea, as you said, "it was a shallow QTE game". Specifically that comment is present exactly in GoW and directly comparable to Ryse. I don't see such a gap of difference I think Ryse was a total failure, you do apparently.

It was a shallow QTE game. It's gameplay is simplistic, unlike GoW, and was littered with QTEs, unlike GoW

And no, GoW barely even had QTEs. Some of the later enemies and mini/bosses had them. The fodder enemies were just DOOM style executions

Last edited:
It was a shallow QTE game. It's gameplay is simplistic, unlike GoW, and was littered with QTEs, unlike GoW

And no, GoW barely even had QTEs. Some of the later enemies and mini/bosses had them. The fodder enemies were just DOOM style executions
Sounds like we define our terms differently then. A DOOM execution is a mini-QTE to me. You pressed a button, you lost control and watched something happen before you regained control.

Okay so we're going to call DOOM a shallow QTE shooter then?
When did I say I didn't like those executions? Again you're being reductive. These elements exist in games. In terms of executions/mini-QTEs something like this - DOOM >Batman > GoW > Ryse ..... > something shallow.

Ryse did get a tad repetitive in combat by the end of the game, I didn't find it shallow on higher difficulties. To suggest it was a retarded game as you did isn't what I agree with. DOOM 2016 was a fucking triumph. Eternal lost me into the realms of difficult for the sake of it and the bright art style also lost me.

When did I say I didn't like those executions? Again you're being reductive. These elements exist in games. In terms of executions/mini-QTEs something like this - DOOM >Batman > GoW > Ryse ..... > something shallow.

Ryse did get a tad repetitive in combat by the end of the game, I didn't find it shallow on higher difficulties. To suggest it was a retarded game as you did isn't what I agree with. DOOM 2016 was a fucking triumph. Eternal lost me into the realms of difficult for the sake of it and the bright art style also lost me.

You're in no position to even be ranking GoW when you haven't even played the damn thing

Ryse is closer to batman than GoW in terms of combat

I don't know how you can call these two similar with a straight face

TidusYuna

The Combat in God of War gets pretty deep. Highly customizable depending on your armor, runic attacks , and moveset.

Last edited:
You're in no position to even be ranking GoW when you haven't even played the damn thing

Ryse is closer to batman than GoW in terms of combat

I don't know how you can call these two similar with a straight face

Yes, I can say I don't believe GoW, having better mechanics than Ryse, doesn't make Ryse look retarded with a straight face.

The Combat in God of War gets pretty deep. Highly customizable depending on your armor, runic attacks , and moveset.

I understand there's far more to the GoW systems and builds, there should be with 10X the budget and game iterations. For a mid tier budget and first IP outing Ryse deserves a sequel.

For me personally get bored with that sort of game play, it's why Diablo III IV doesn't excite me over the DII days. It's why the short live campaign of Ryse doesn't deserve a reduction to shallow QTE, there's enough there on higher difficulties, production quality and story for a sequel.

Again let us remember GoW was 5 years after Ryse.

Ryse isn't a very good game, I know a lot of xbox only fans like to praise it because it was the best looking game they had to play when the xbox one launched but I bought it about 2 years ago and after maybe an hour of playing I got so bored I had to turn it off. I know quality is subjective and we all like different things but the game didn't sell well and wasn't highly rated, I don't get why anyone would fund a sequel. That being said if you really want a Ryse 2 I hope you get one and that it's good.

TidusYuna

Yes, I can say I don't believe GoW, having better mechanics than Ryse, doesn't make Ryse look retarded with a straight face.

I understand there's far more to the GoW systems and builds, there should be with 10X the budget and game iterations. For a mid tier budget and first IP outing Ryse deserves a sequel.

For me personally get bored with that sort of game play, it's why Diablo III IV doesn't excite me over the DII days. It's why the short live campaign of Ryse doesn't deserve a reduction to shallow QTE, there's enough there on higher difficulties, production quality and story for a sequel.

Well I hope you get your sequel.

a7d3c7fa390f300a93ae8008ffe7e704.gif

Plenty of games I want sequels for that probably won't get the green light so I know the feeling.

ref

You know, I didn't even mind the combat - the rhythm and timing of everything actually felt pretty rewarding. The problem I had with the game was the absolutely boring and generic plot. I doubt that will change in a potential sequel, but I'll give it a shot anyways if for nothing else than a benchmark for my PC.

Last edited:

What the hell are you talking about? When did i ever call it retarded?

Top Bottom