• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse 2 in the Works and it Could be Multiplatform, Xbox Insider Says to Have Heard

Kuranghi

I miss old gaming leaks where it was just someone finding a devs laptop in a cafe or overhearing a conversation about the new Ass Creed in an airport. I believe there was a leak about Unity just before it came out and then Syndicate was leaked like the same week of Unity's release lol, complete madness but at least it was actually something, this stuff is just boring as hell.

Alx

i thought this game is a failure? too many qte and cutscenes?
People think the game is QTE-based because of the button prompts in the reveal video, but that's actually not the case, it has a very interesting gameplay. It is indeed based on using the appropriate timing with the appropriate button, but it is not scripted like a QTE, it's only a way to fill your "special bars" faster. You can still mash your way through the game without focusing on what button you press, although you would miss most of the quality of the game.
Which may be why so many people think it's shallow, you only notice how important that gameplay is if you play on higher difficulties (or in the arena modes, that can be very challenging if you don't know what you're doing).
I also liked the historically-accurate use of spears to remove shields from opponents, it added a small layer of strategy in the fights. I'd hope a sequel would expand on that kind of ideas.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Every Crytek game have a supernatural element... except Ryse. Very strange, think they probably had something in mind but they removed it because time, some old artwork during development hinted this.
I played it recently and remember the gods "game" with humans, maybe you don't?

BTW the game was good, we need some more Hellblade and Ryse these days of open world fatigue, I hope they don't make it open world tho... And I hope they finally fix the counter attack, I hate having to wait for an enemy to make an action so I can finally kill them, and in this game the pretty kills were sometimes hit or miss cause it couldn't detect that the enemy was attacking me and that I was countering the attack which was frustrating when happened repeatedly.

Other than that, I feel that the game was very enjoyable. Maybe a slower camera orbit would help it a little, such a good graphics and couldn't appretiate sometimes due to the camera moving so fast, but I'd understand that the pacing of the game on battles may require it.

dcx4610

Ryse was great and still holds up graphically today. Yes, it was short and repetitive but it reminded me of a beat 'em up game in 2D. Solid and fun controls and I love how well the faces were animated. You'd see characters appropriately grimace and scream as they attacked. it felt realistic and made the combat that more exciting.

I can understand why people didn't like it but I thought for what it was, it was a fun time and a memorable experience.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I liked Ryse it could've used more weapons or attack variations but I really enjoyed it overall. I'd be down for Ryse 2

Andodalf

Banned
Are people really asking for a Ryse 2 after the famous Crysis Remastered powered by Crytek?

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Cyrisis remastered was literally just a port of the 360 version of the game with some new stuff on top.

This would be a whole new game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I miss old gaming leaks where it was just someone finding a devs laptop in a cafe or overhearing a conversation about the new Ass Creed in an airport. I believe there was a leak about Unity just before it came out and then Syndicate was leaked like the same week of Unity's release lol, complete madness but at least it was actually something, this stuff is just boring as hell.
I miss the old game mags that had 1-2 pages of rumours like EGM's Quartermain page.

Each rumour was a quick sentence or paragraph.

I still remember Quartermain and some other mag saying Sega was working on a Saturn hockey and Contra III was getting a 24-meg sequel. I remember my eyes popping out how awesome it'll be as Contra III was stated as 8 meg. And any gamer back then knew the more megs, the more potential for awesomness.

Hockey was true. Contra wasnt. I forget which mag had the COntra blurb. It was literally a sentence or two in a rumour section. Was either EGM, Gamepro or Gamefan. I don't think I had any other console gaming mag in the early 90s.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
iB5xwIJ.gif
its the correct opinion.

II_JumPeR_I

I dont think Crytek is in a position for AAA development again, yet.
If data breach leak is correct, we will see Crysis 2 and 3 remastered + Crysis BR before anything Ryse

Fake

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Cyrisis remastered was literally just a port of the 360 version of the game with some new stuff on top.

This would be a whole new game.

You're not very smart, are you?

You already answer your question sir. What was about to be a remaster became a mere port of an already ported version of the game. Is that kinda of incompetence will be ahead of Ryse 2.

Lazy, bugs, greed, cashgrab, but somehow this will not happen because is a 'whole new game'.

Last edited:
The first one didn't sell well and wasn't reviewed well so there is no reason for MS to pay for a sequel to be exclusive, honestly I don't even know why they'd be making a sequel to a game that wasn't popular to begin with especially after this much time.

Andodalf

Banned
You're not very smart, are you?

You already answer your question sir. What was about to be a remaster became a mere port of an already ported version of the game. Is that kinda of incompetence will be ahead of Ryse 2.

Lazy, bugs, greed, cashgrab, but somehow this will not happen because is a 'whole new game'.

LMAO Dude that's not a lazy thing, it's a decision. It's a remaster, not a remake. The same game but better. Don't get butthurt you don't know what words mean.

Fake

LMAO Dude that's not a lazy thing, it's a decision.

You must know better.

It's a remaster, not a remake. . Don't get butthurt you don't know what words mean.

I know the difference. Don't need to explain to me.

The same game but better.

Lol. You're confounding expectation with reality.

Don't get butthurt you don't know what words mean.

Its always facinate talking to you.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I miss the old game mags that had 1-2 pages of rumours like EGM's Quartermain page.

Each rumour was a quick sentence or paragraph.

I still remember Quartermain and some other mag saying Sega was working on a Saturn hockey and Contra III was getting a 24-meg sequel. I remember my eyes popping out how awesome it'll be as Contra III was stated as 8 meg. And any gamer back then knew the more megs, the more potential for awesomness.

Hockey was true. Contra wasnt. I forget which mag had the COntra blurb. It was literally a sentence or two in a rumour section. Was either EGM, Gamepro or Gamefan. I don't think I had any other console gaming mag in the early 90s.

I think I used to get Amiga Power and PC Gamer. Previews were the best, seeing the in-dev screenshots plastered across the page with amazing graphics you couldn't even believe could be real.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think I used to get Amiga Power and PC Gamer. Previews were the best, seeing the in-dev screenshots plastered across the page with amazing graphics you couldn't even believe could be real.
I forget which mags had Import sections but those were cool too. Back when many games came out in Japan first by a year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had no idea there were so many fans of the original Ryse.

You guys know it was very much a Cinematic™ game with shallow gameplay right?
I didn't think it was a good at all. I dont know, maybe a 5/10. If it played smoother, it could be seen as strictly a canned linear action game with QTE kind of kills, but the gameplay and animations were so janky.

coffinbirth

Is this different from the sequel that was cancelled back in 2014?
Because that was a thing.
I don't remember much about it, but I recall that it was going to take place in a different time period and locale. Was it Vikings? Mongols? I don't remember. I do recall it being an issue with Microsoft, and for whatever reason, they decided not to contract up and it was canned.

Lameshot

Neo Member
Ryse was a solid game, the Action was repetitive but it was fun once u mastered it and could pull off long kill streaks.

The art style was dope and made the collectibles worth gathering

Cant remember much about the story so i guess it was kinda average and the lenght of the game was perfect for this style of game.

Looking forward for a sequel and might even replay original trough steam and see how it looks with a pc 👍

Fbh

If they make it less linear and vastly improve the gameplay then sure, why not.
First game wasn't really good beyond the great graphics. But the setting was awesome.

It's like The Order 1886 in that I don't really care if no one makes a sequel. But the concept was interesting enough that I'd check out a sequel (well that and both were crappy games with amazing visuals)

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Worst game I played so far on the series S.... It's revolting how bad it is because I love the setting. I hope that if a sequel is in the works they improve it a lot.
I used to like Ryse's combat just fine. But after the arrival of For Honor, it's kind of hard to get back into it.

The Alien

Banned
The first was a decent enough launch title, but a sequel could refine the combat some more and still be a graphical showcase.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hopefully bethesda games follows as well : D

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Ryse was OK. Played it on PC after picking up cheap and it was a good looking game with a decent setting and story but too short with pretty average gameplay.

A sequel would still be interesting to me though as it had potential.

I believe that Crytek own the ip so no reason why a sequel wouldn’t be multi-platform.

Last edited:

SSfox

Ryse was awesome.

Back then i got sick in my stomach and i needed to vomit to feel better, i just launched a Ryse video on youtube and done within 5 minutes, thanks Crytek, sometimes some games can be useful in other ways.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Id like to point out this xbox insider hasnt had the best track record lately. On the xbox era podcast (Where the rumor this very thread originated from) him and his crew said almost verbatim that Microsoft has an exclusive deal with lucas film despite at least 3 other publishers making star wars games, that starfield will be 2021 despite all evidence on the contrary, and the rumor about Ryse 2 being multiplatform which i dont believe at all. Yes he gets gamepass and One month of PS Plus correct but I dont think he knows as much as he lets on. IMO.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
MS owns the IP for this, I believe. If this wasn't the case, why hasn't Crytek ported it to other platforms?

Soltype

Game looks phenomenal, especially for a launch title. It doesn't play that great though. Someone have that goofy kick gif that used to float around?

Last edited:
Top Bottom