• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Reynold's to star in Netflix's Dragon's Lair

GreyHorace

Ryan Reynolds in Talks to Tackle Live-Action Adaptation of '80s Video Game 'Dragon's Lair' (Exclusive)

Dragons-Lair-movie-700x300.jpg

I've never played the original Dragon's Lair, but I did play Dragon's Lair 3 at an arcade long ago and I thought it was pretty difficult. As for the movie, well... it's Netflix so the quality is hit or miss given their recent outings. I like Reynolds but aside from Deadpool, none of his recent stuff has me hyped (though Free Guy looks fun).

The only way I see a movie like this working is to do it in the vein of Edge of Tomorrow but with a comedic tone. The best bits about the original Dragon's Lair was seeing the various ways Dirk could die. If this movie doesn't show any of that then it's a waste.

Barsinister

Banned
Didn’t an episode of “Black Mirror” have a choose your own adventure feel? If they copy that it could be fun to watch multiple times.

dan76

90's Jim Carrey would have been perfect. There's a scene in Cable Guy when they go to some medieval dinner and he dresses up as a Knight. Spitting image of Dirk right there.

This could be interesting, though Dragons Lair 2 would be the one to adapt.

DESTROYA

Oh see, I thought this was a good fit. Kinda goofy, campy, gentleman—that’s like his whole schtick.
I’m talking about the movie plot , what’s it going to be RR jumping around and swinging his sword to QTE’s.
like I said I like the guy and not every video game deserves a movie adaption.

Deft Beck

Don Bluth kickstarted a pitch for an animated feature version of the game a couple of years ago. Apparently that went nowhere?

JSoup

Banned
Don Bluth kickstarted a pitch for an animated feature version of the game a couple of years ago. Apparently that went nowhere?

First one failed because he didn't advertise it at all.
Second one got a signal boost from ChannelAwesome and passed:

Since then, there has been a completed pitch (can't find a copy offhand) and nothing but old merch sales since then.

GreyHorace

Okay, I said I liked Ryan Reynolds before but I absolutely respect him now after this:

Thank you for keeping it real Mr. Pool.

Top Bottom