• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey: Xbox Exclusive Game Drought is Officially Over

What is it with game journalists and they're insistance on using "officially" in healines to make them sound more important? Who officiates over game droughts and how do companies get official rulings on when they're over? Do they have a certificate now? A badge?
Come on Ryan, tell us all how does this stuff works?
When your first relatively popular post has more errors in it than the thing that you were joking about. :pie_worried:

Akuji

I really would like how many xbox fans are from america percentage wise and how many from the Rest of the World. I have a strong feeling xbox is somethinh mainly americans really enjoy and is catered to. Which is fine and a very good Thing. But that would explain the diffrence in how everyone in here perceives the Brand.

Iam from germany and xbox is a Thing over here but its Nothing compared to Nintendo or playstation. Also gamepass is something i dont know anyone is subscribed To. Neither on pc or xbox. While i know many that dislike ps+ and Do not even redeem their free games or play online with their playstation but keep being subscribed and flaming the Service.

Sorry for the massive de rail of the thread but this thought just did overcome me. Could someone make a thread with a poll?

sublimit

Banned
BraveSnarlingChanticleer-max-1mb.gif

Raekwon26

I can taste the salt in here. Some much insecurity and doubt. X is back and it has some panties ruffled.

Bruh, the amount of salt levels since the Xbox E3 presentation has increased tenfold. If Neogaf were an aquarium, all of us fishies would die of sodium overdose :messenger_beaming:

Just confirms that Xbox E3 was a banger.

Just getting annoyed we get our games with gamepass and they are still shilling out £70 for a 15 hour game.

Victims..............

i think we need forza horizon and halo to get the ball rolling. there might be another drought after that though until starfield. i think 2023 onwards is when we get a steady amount of games from microsoft.

Loope

The victim complex among Xbox fans is fascinating.
How is it any different from Sony fans crying about how the press is all bought by MS, even after we've all seen the Citizen Kane quote or the Schindler's List quote? How can people say that MS, and MS only, is being hyped by the press for artificial reasons.

Fanboys will stomp all over the oppposite side threads, it's just that there are more sony fans here and in general, it's natural.

Victims..............

yeah the ultra hardcore xbox fans are a little cringy with their over celebration. none of the game have even actually released yet. they need to get them out and they need to be high qaulity first before i can say for sure microsoft are the best they have ever been. i get the excitment after an entire generaion of droughts and watching the competition thrive but theres still nothing major until forza horizon. sony and nintendo are still miles ahead and of course they would be after so much qaulity and consistency, year after year. micrsosoft wont get there for another few years yet.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I can taste the salt in here. Some much insecurity and doubt. X is back and it has some panties ruffled.

Cmon now. Start crowing when there's actual competition. Its something PlayStation has not had for more than a decade going up against the Xbox 360.

Can't claim you're back when your comfortably in 2nd place 😂

Or you can just tune into Ryan McCafrey and Tom Warren to get your daily dose of delusion and FUD which is what they're good at.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

What is it with game journalists and they're insistance on using "officially" in healines to make them sound more important? Who officiates over game droughts and how do companies get official rulings on when they're over? Do they have a certificate now? A badge?
Come on Ryan, tell us all how does this stuff works?

It’s meant to hit a nerve, and by the looks of it, he nailed it!!

quest

Not Banned from OT
You keep posting this. Again, Microsoft wants to buy timed exclusives just as much as Sony. Look at this list:

https://www.lifewire.com/list-of-exclusive-games-xbox-series-x-5079143

More than half are timed. Why do you continue to post as if Sony is investing in timed exclusives and Microsoft is not?

You want to compare cheap indy games with AAA games gtfo. Yes buying zenimax games and bioshock are totally the same as the falconer and the ascent 😆. One is big money the other is a few cents on top of the gamepass deal with the publisher.

Raekwon26

How is it any different from Sony fans crying about how the press is all bought by MS, even after we've all seen the Citizen Kane quote or the Schindler's List quote? How can people say that MS, and MS only, is being hyped by the press for artificial reasons.

Fanboys will stomp all over the oppposite side threads, it's just that there are more sony fans here and in general, it's natural.
Another victim.

Papacheeks

Banned
Bruh, the amount of salt levels since the Xbox E3 presentation has increased tenfold. If Neogaf were an aquarium, all of us fishies would die of sodium overdose :messenger_beaming:

Just confirms that Xbox E3 was a banger.

It was good compared to previous ones where they literally have been bombing almost every year with not much of substance when it comes to games. Their first party was shown to be the weakest. And they leaned heavily like I and many others said they would on Bethesda.

It still was a great showing that show cased a diverse lineup of games that most of them are all coming to gamepass. So if your a gamepass subscriber that showing should have been great for you. If you own a PC and buy games on the cheap which a lot of those including stalker will be on greenmangaming, cdkeys then outside of forza/halo there was not a lot of gameplay for first party.

If anything that showcase being a gamepass commercial solidifies what they care about more. And to me thats not a good look. The software is what matters, the subscription is the means to that software.

I’m really beginning to wonder about the consistent pattern in these articles. How can they declare the war is over, Sony and Nintendo are in trouble or the drought is over when the games aren’t released yet, very far away or most importantly verified to be good?

Again, shouldn’t everyone celebrate when the games are out and confirmed to be quality? It’s like everyone praising Sony for Street Fighter 6’s unrivaled brilliance and exclusivity right now and saying it will be the best fighter ever developed because of a blurry screenshot and a Chun Li CGI dance video.

LastBattle

The victim complex among Xbox fans is fascinating.
I enjoy all the consoles. PS4 was easily
My favourite last gen. Just finished GoT earlier in the week. Great game. I was a bit disappointed with Xbox last gen but can see they’ve turned things around with the series consoles.

Loope

I’m really beginning to wonder about the consistent pattern in these articles. How can they declare the war is over, Sony and Nintendo are in trouble or the drought is over when the games aren’t released yet, very far away or most importantly verified to be good?

Again, shouldn’t everyone celebrate when the games are out and confirmed to be quality? It’s like everyone praising Sony for Street Fighter 6’s unrivaled brilliance and exclusivity right now and saying it will be the best fighter ever developed because of a blurry screenshot and a Chun Li CGI dance video.
Are they really declaring that? Or just that the drought is over for MS. Sony and Nintendo didn't have any drought.

Papacheeks

Banned

Next year Nintendo and Sony are going to have an insane amount of titles that will garner shit tons of attention. The fact that only big game is starfield shows how MS's issue with first party has really hurt them. I hope to god PD is a banger, I hope fable knocks it out of the park. Because it looks like even bethesda's games are still in early, early phases outside of starfield.

So if starfield is the only thing on the horizon for release, then wtf else is MS going to put out? My issue is they keep talking about the future, and trying to setup a system to have games every month from internal studios. Good luck on quality control is all im going to say.

I know from some people that in the next couple years depending on how things go with some of these releases your going to see more talent come and go at a higher rate.

Greggy

yeah the ultra hardcore xbox fans are a little cringy with their over celebration. none of the game have even actually released yet. they need to get them out and they need to be high qaulity first before i can say for sure microsoft are the best they have ever been. i get the excitment after an entire generaion of droughts and watching the competition thrive but theres still nothing major until forza horizon. sony and nintendo are still miles ahead and of course they would be after so much qaulity and consistency, year after year. micrsosoft wont get there for another few years yet.
I've counted potentially 17 games dropping on Game Pass before Forza Horizon 5.
It's not like facts matter.

84XWzdt.jpg

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Exactly timed with project Athena being 2 years timed that is the new bar. So 2024 for Xbox fans to play Starfield. My favorite is Microsoft should just sit idle and let Sony content starve them with endless timed exclusives and don't return the favor. Sony wants to buy timed exclusives Microsoft gets more value buying studios for the dollar.

Did you watched the conference or do you not know what "Console launch exclusive" means? They had a shitload of them...but yeah keep ignoring it as if Sony is the only on doing it.

So when MS announces a shitload of timed fucking exclusives, you guys are like:

9648624.gif

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You want to compare cheap indy games with AAA games gtfo. Yes buying zenimax games and bioshock are totally the same as the falconer and the ascent 😆. One is big money the other is a few cents on top of the gamepass deal with the publisher.

You are going entirely off of unsubstantiated rumors. I'm stating known facts. Regardless, you continue to make blanket statements about timed exclusives and portraying it as entirely one-sided with Sony. That is factually not true.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Huge games hitting this year, huge games next. Gamepass shaking the foundation on how people game. Everything coming up MS this year.

Last edited:
Are they really declaring that? Or just that the drought is over for MS. Sony and Nintendo didn't have any drought.
I just noticed that the media and gamers seem to be prematurely celebrating before anyone even played these games. Yes, it good to be excited about new games and it seems like the drought is going to start dissipating by end of the year and next, but that’s if there are no delays and the games are good.

Shmunter

Poor Ryan getting dragged like a common shill

He’s just wide eyed and naive. But he’s not afraid to admit it when the bell rings

Rolla

Banned
Maybe for 2022.

Xbox Exclusives,
Starfield - 2022
RedFall - 2022
Halo - 2022
Contraband - 2023
The Outer Worlds 2 - 2023

I want to be excited for this list but none of the above had actual gameplay.

Halo showed cinematic cutscene. The multiplayer looked interesting and while I've dabbled in that multi universe from time to time, I prefer COD and Battlefield. So the drought for my series X doesn't actually end until I see gameplay.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You are going entirely off of unsubstantiated rumors. I'm stating known facts. Regardless, you continue to make blanket statements about timed exclusives and portraying it as entirely one-sided with Sony. That is factually not true.
So ghost wire Tokyo, death loop project Athena, ff 16 are all rumors now 🤔.

Topher

Gold Member
So ghost wire Tokyo, death loop project Athena, ff 16 are all rumors now 🤔.

No, Bioshock and Starfield were/are. That's what you referenced and that is what I was responding to.

But I've noted that you think the Ascent, Stalker 2, Scorn, the Medium, and 40k: Darktide are all just "cheap indy games". I don't think they are at all, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
You keep posting this. Again, Microsoft wants to buy timed exclusives just as much as Sony. Look at this list:

https://www.lifewire.com/list-of-exclusive-games-xbox-series-x-5079143

More than half are timed. Why do you continue to post as if Sony is investing in timed exclusives and Microsoft is not?
Virtually everything on that list is an indie. Combined they probably cost less than the amount of money Sony paid Square for Final Fantasy. Let alone adding Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. Apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited:

Zones

I am aware of this, but like I said, it’s nothing more than hearsay, and last I checked, Imran isn’t like Jason when it comes to reliable insider sources... I mean have you seen the amount of stuff Jeff Grubb (a supposedly reliable person when it comes to leaks) has gotten wrong recently?

And I was more specifically referring to the whole nonsense you spout about the ‘two-year timed exclusivity’ BS you spread as if it’s a fact.

I legitimately find your console war crusade based on nothing more than hearsay to be very embarrassing.

Topher

Gold Member
Virtually everything on that list is an indie. Combined they probably cost less than the amount of money Sony paid Square for Final Fantasy. Let alone adding Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. Apples to oranges comparison.

The point being made was that Microsoft was spending money on studios rather than timed exclusives when they are clearly doing both. That is what I was responding to.

Zones

You two should realize Microsoft was the king of timed exclusivity during the 360 era... have you wondered why they could do it then but not now?

I can confidently tell you it’s not because Phil believes “exclusives are counter to what gaming is about” (what a joke of statement after a string of multiplat games suddenly becoming exclusives due to studio acquisitions), but it’s simply because Microsoft can no longer get timed exclusivity for big games due to lower market share and subsequently lower game sales on Xbox.

The Witcher 3 had an Xbox exclusive marketing deal and it sold embarrassingly bad compared to PS4, despite the market share ratio being more in favor to Xbox compared to now.

3652673-screen%20shot%202020-04-09%20at%209.40.45%20am.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some of you guys are going to have to realize that just because the world through your vision is one way, it doesn't correlate to the rest. That doesn't change the fact that just because you like one platform or think things are okay that, and this may shock you, there are more people that prefer other platforms because of the style of games or the consistency of the software or whatever has made them successful.

And if that particular phrasing or commentary doesn't suit you then let the hardware and the software numbers do the talking.

That's not to say that you can't commend them for their efforts but these articles, and you as an adult should damn well know how to discern all this, all they mean is that they're trying to muster up hits or hide or it's their particular view.

I don't really concern myself with how other people post so I would rather not be punched up with a big crowd because that's just as disingenuous as some of the post saying this is a Sony centered site. I got news for you this is a Sony and nintendo-centered world when it comes to video games, look at the hardware and popularity of these platforms. Get over it because it's not going to change for the time being and if it doesn't change it just means that those companies are still trucking along and continuing to deliver what's made them popular in the first place.

I will personally vote when my wallet when it matters and when the games matter for my particular taste. And that has usually been on a Nintendo or Sony platform because specifically with sony, they deliver a variety of high quality games and exclusives and it's been like that damn near since the beginning. I'm sorry if that doesn't suit some against that particular point of view. I can't fix that so good luck with that and try to get along.

Last edited:
I've counted potentially 17 games dropping on Game Pass before Forza Horizon 5.
It's not like facts matter.

84XWzdt.jpg

like i said, nothing MAJOR until forza horizon 5. maybe flight simulator scrapes it just because it looks so damn good visually but lets face it, nobody see's it as a major game. forza horizon will be the first big wow game for xbox series x. you dont agree?

Greggy

like i said, nothing MAJOR until forza horizon 5. maybe flight simulator scrapes it just because it looks so damn good visually but lets face it, nobody see's it as a major game. forza horizon will be the first big wow game for xbox series x. you dont agree?
Not sure how you define "major" but I see Psychonauts 2, Back for Blood and Scorn as potentially very good games. We'll have to see how they review and play. I'm personally impatiently waiting for 12 minutes and the Ascent too. That's not counting Flight Sim which is a marvel and might add a Top gun expansion before Forza drops.
If you mean big "graphically wow" only, then yes FS will be the first one followed by FH5

Top Bottom