• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters
15% better theoretical TFLOP (while having a lower GPU clock), same RAM/CPU and an SSD half as fast is damn slim pickings.
It's basically "theoretically a little better on paper at some tasks maybe", which is bearing out right now: every single game announced performs the same on PS5 and Series X.
Hell, some games have features earlier just because Sony's SDK is better, like DMCVse which is missing RT at launch on SeX.

It's actually why having such a poor launch is a problem, because there's no performance argument to push XBox.

I think both Halo Infinite and DMC5 having RT patches is suspect. On PS5 you get RayTracing day one no questions asked. XSX has supposedly dedicated RT hardware block while "more powerful" on paper. Logic says RT shouldn't be an issue at all on the console with more on paper "theoretical" headroom (relative to the PS5). But here we're. We'll know soon enough come the second week of November if Oct 28 doesn't spice the nxgen thread. I thought Gears 5 had it but it turns out it was SSR.

Last edited:
I have both an Series X and Series S on preorder, but I must say that it is absolutely shocking that they couldn't motivate themselves to scrape together practically any games for the launch, or even launch window.

We have come a far way from the excitement of having PGR3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Condemned and the rest all lined up for a new next generation experience in 2005:

boxshots.jpg

So why am I getting the consoles at launch?

Well, for home, I believe the X will be the best way to play Cyberpunk 2077, Cold War and Dark Souls 3 this winter. And for travel, since I will be 4 months on the road, the S will allow me to continue playing those games abroad.
You'll play Dark Souls 3 at 900p and 30fps on XSX. PS5 owners will play at 1080p 60fps. And like most previous COD games Cold War will be optimized on Playstation so it will most likely run better on PS5.

Pinktaco

opinions are opinions but facts are undeniable.
Xbox yet again offers nothing compared to sony. You get all the same games on ps + exclusives.
On xbox You will get forza etc eventually. but not now

But why would I care if I want Halo and other future Xbawx games further down the line?
People can spend their money and time however they want and for some people it is enough of a justification, to buy an XB, just to play those yearly release.

There are people who yearly buy a new smart Phone irregardless of how little of an upgrade they get. So I dont think buying the next console of your prefered brand once every 7th year is much of a big deal.

From a personal perspective MS doesnt offer me what I want, but who am I to judge if a console is worth buying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tulipanzo

I think both Halo Infinite and DMC5 having RT patches is suspect. On PS5 you get RayTracing day one no questions asked. XSX has supposedly dedicated RT hardware block while "more powerful" on paper. Logic says it shouldn't be an issue at all on the console with more on paper "theoretical" headroom to work with (relative to the PS5). But here we're. We'll know soon enough come the second week of November if Oct 28 doesn't spice the nxgen thread. I thought Gears 5 had it but its turns out it was SSR.
Again, it's down to XBox SDKs and tools being late, which we'd heard about for a long time. However, it underscores how the "massive power advantage" is just marketing baloney.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
But why would I care if I want Halo and other future Xbawx games further down the line?
People can spend their money and time however they want and for some people it is enough of a justification, to buy an XB, just to play those yearly release.

There are people who yearly buy a new smart Phone irregardless of how little of an upgrade they get. So I dont think buying the next console of your prefered brand once every 7th year is much of a big deal.

From a personal perspective MS doesnt offer me what I want, but who am I to judge if a console is worth buying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll definitely be buying an XsX down the line if it has games on it I can't play on Ps5 (which is the expectation) but launch window? No way. Nothing to tempt me at all.

Xbox fanboys downplaying ds remake as just a ps3 game will never be not funny, considering they are the ones who considered mcc a system seller

I'd kind of understand it, if it were just a remaster in the same way Dark Souls was, but this is a complete, from the ground up remake, with brand new assets, and the potential for extra content that had to be cut from the original game. And it's the first game that most people haven't played in one of the biggest franchises that exists.

Then there's this:

ibywRCs.gif

That one three second gif pisses over any argument about the merits of this as a launch game.

Nothing looks remotely like this on XsX. Nothing.

Hence why I have a Ps5 coming, and not the XsX.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
end of the day a lot of people who are posting in this thread would never get an xbox anyway, look at the post history. even if the Xbox series X had the strongest launch of all time they still wouldn't get it regardless. yes the launch line up could be a lot better but do you buy a console just for the launch games? I think with Covid being a thing a lot of games possibly delayed or rushed.

the only thing I want out of the launch line up on PS5 for me is MM but I can get that on my PS4.

Tulipanzo

end of the day a lot of people who are posting in this thread would never get an xbox anyway, look at the post history. even if the Xbox series X had the strongest launch of all time they still wouldn't get it regardless. yes the launch line up could be a lot better but do you buy a console just for the launch games? I think with Covid being a thing a lot of games possibly delayed or rushed.

the only thing I want out of the launch line up on PS5 for me is MM but I can get that on my PS4.
Ryan here makes IGN's main XBox content, but apparently him being underwhelmed makes him a fanboy?
This is such an unhealthy mindset.

XBox's lineup features 0 new games from them, only updates to older ones. It's perfectly reasonable to be critical of this, especially given how unprecedented it is in the industry to launch with nothing at all.

It better be API/SDK related. If it's a bottleneck by something else...yikes.
This is why you need games to support your marketing.
Example, imagine Switch launched without BotW: would you believe the Switch could run modern AAA-level open world games?

The hardware may be perfectly capable, but with nothing to show it's hard to make the case at all.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

You can keep telling yourself that, but I actually think a lot of people on here are just like me: happy to buy whatever console is available if I can play great new next gen games on it. Right now that's Ps5, because it's the only one with next gen games on it that I've seen running. One day I'll get an XsX when that actually has games on it I want to play.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It's not really a big problem in the long run....

but it's been made worse because it's coincided with sony's first party launch window being crazy good. No way would I actually expect spiderman, demons, ratchet, horizon and God of War assuming nothing slips. They all release in a year, let alone a launch console year.

Sony actually took advantage of the fact this is the first hardware generation jump(maybe ever??) That didn't require them to create new engines. They are seemingly, seemlesly transitioning into next gen. Where xbox is starting to gear up.

xbox is doing well, it's just that Sony has been firing on all cylinders for the last few years.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You can keep telling yourself that, but I actually think a lot of people on here are just like me: happy to buy whatever console is available if I can play great new next gen games on it. Right now that's Ps5, because it's the only one with next gen games on it that I've seen running. One day I'll get an XsX when that actually has games on it I want to play.
so no third party games on xbox will be next gen?

Damigos

He is the face of xbox for IGN so its a surprise to hear this from him. I agree with him though, XSX has almost only remasters and game pass games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If anyone wants to break their brain, listen to their Perfect Dark talk near the end of the episode.

They are soooo uninformed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PGR2 might be my favorite racer ever and Blur was a criminally underrated take on Mario Kart. Even still, you've ruined my jokes dunking on the game and spent my money.

giphy.gif
I mean, I loved PGR2-4, however like my true love is Blur. Why all of you mofos did not buy that game. It hurts my heart.

PS5 has both bases covered. Series X/S doesn't. Don't you guys get it?

You're spending $500 on a Game pass console with nothing on offer that takes real advantage of the new hardware. That's a tough sell to everyone but the hard core Xbox crowd.

Most, if not all, games on XSX and PS5 are cross-gen, so I don't quite agree with you here.

Ar¢tos

Demon's Souls is reason enough to get a ps5 for me. Astro Bot and Sackboy are interesting, but far from a reason to buy a console. In the same genre of gameplay, only Bloodborne matched the feeling of oppression and helplessness of Latria or the Valley of Defilement.
I love-hated those locations and wanted to get out of them as soon as possible. I can't wait to see them again in the remake.

I'll be the unpopular one to say it....

Cross gen gaming and online stores has killed launch releases. When you HAD to choose 2-3 games to spend your money on (No free downloads) and buy it at a local shop (not pre-downloaded) there was excitement and a thrill of what's to come.

Now, your games from a previous generation work and MIGHT get a patch to make them shiny. Why? because console developers dont HAVE to give you next gen gaming straight away, they can fall back on a digital catalogue and backwards compatibility to polish up last gen games

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Demon's Souls is reason enough to get a ps5 for me. Astro Bot and Sackboy are interesting, but far from a reason to buy a console. In the same genre of gameplay, only Bloodborne matched the feeling of oppression and helplessness of Latria or the Valley of Defilement.
I love-hated those locations and wanted to get out of them as soon as possible. I can't wait to see them again in the remake.

Tower of Latria is going to be something else. An already brilliantly designed location, brought into the modern day with the best graphics possible? Yes please.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Some games have features earlier just because Sony's SDK is better, like DMCVse which is missing RT at launch on SeX.
Xbox SDK being late does not make Sony's SDK better.
Hell, no XBox game will feature RT at launch. The earliest will be just Medium in december, and Legion's update.
That's not true. Watchdog legions, for example, is supposed to be using RT and is a launch game

Max_Po

Banned
I agree, at 37 with kids... I am excited for the next gen as a teenager however I feel that if I can save my 500 this year by next year MS might offer 2TB + Wifi6 for 500 and maybe their aqcuired studios will start to show the actual games that they are working on.

Sure, lining up a console launch with the launch of first party titles is ideal which was going to be the case with Halo Infinite but it was delayed. Is having no first person game on launch that important to me that it means I wouldn't be buying the console on launch? No. Those games will come to the console regardless and to Gamepass day one. And so will The Medium which I am hyped to play only a month after launch. I don't even have to wait because all my backlog of games will move with me so I can jut keep playing as I do anyway and taking advantage of the better performance.

I got November 10 booked as holiday, can't wait to have the mini fridge in my arms! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I agree, at 37 with kids... I am excited for the next gen as a teenager however I feel that if I can save my 500 this year by next year MS might offer 2TB + Wifi6 for 500 and maybe their aqcuired studios will start to show the actual games that they are working on.

Exactly the same as you.

I'd much rather pick up a cheaper XsX in maybe a year or two, when it has some next gen only games on it that actually use its power properly. I really like the idea of next gen Elder Scrolls (if Bethesda don't Fallout 76 it) so that'll be definitely time for me to get an XBox, if indeed Bethesda games are exclusive, which is the most likely outcome.

Ar¢tos

Xbox SDK being late does not make Sony's SDK better.

That's not true. Watchdog legions, for example, is supposed to be using RT and is a launch game
As APIs and SDKs are constantly evolving, Xbox SDK being late MEANS ps5 SDK is better, at this moment.
How things will evolve it is impossible for us to predict. (who is gonna screw something up next?)

I mean, this is just common sense. Both launch lineups are terrible, most console launch lineups are terrible. Doesn’t mean I’m not excited to get both consoles - I think the Series X and the new Microsoft direction will be transformative over the next couple of years.

I’m not a child any more, I can wait for the good new stuff, and in the meantime I’ll play the good old stuff in my backlog/the best of third party.

Salient point. They seem to be intent on disseminating their games to every possible console.. i imagine some people are just gonna want good games on a good system.. when i realised that I'll be able to play every xBox game on my computer, any residual interest i ever held in getting an xsx just vanished in smoke~
Well that’s lucky for you that you already have a PC that’s a Zen2 equivalent or more already, but you’re in the minority, and I seriously question the judgement of people who would pay upwards of 700-800+ just to build a PC to match it just to be able to “Xbocks has no gems, I love PC PC PC, did I mention my PC?”

Shit, the majority of the PC user base is still gaming at 1080p or 1440 at best, and no, their games aren’t running maxed out or at a solid frame rate either.

The whole “just buy a pc” is absolutely nonsense if people aren’t willing to buy a £450 console.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sure, I get that. Purely from a theoretical PoV there's no reason why the PS5 would be the better system. Microsoft just completely out-engineered them this time.

Come on, mate. That's a ridiculous thing to say when you have no evidence of it whatsoever! Video game consoles are designed to play video games, nothing else. Until you can compare performance on the two consoles, you have no idea which one is better engineered. It might well end up that XsX is the better engineered console with better performance, but to state that it's a fact when you've seen nothing to prove it is just mindless fanboyism, and you're generally better than that.

Last edited:

Danny 117

I’m still getting an XSX at launch as all my friends are on Xbox and I know that MS will deliver the goods eventually. Right now though? Yeah it’s a shit launch.

I’m getting PS5 for Demons Souls + other exclusives and the XSX for multiplats/game pass/Xbox Exclusives

Win win!

Last edited:
Exactly.

If (and this is a big if due to COVID) the 2021 games come out as scheduled in 2021, then the Series X will be in an even worse position. While Halo: Infinite could turn out great, you need more than 1 game to make your console worth it.

It's confusing how much Microsoft -- a software company -- have fumbled the ball, yet again, when it comes to software.
Chasing power... yet again
Screaming it from the rooftops...yet again.
It happened with One X too.

It's no wonder that the only time MS was able to give Sony a run for their money was during the 360 ERA when they had a strong focus on software and ease of development on the 360 platform. There wasn't this POWER POWER bullshit they love throwing around these days.
They also had competent hungry leaders of the division in J. Allard and Peter Moore. These guys made games the focus on 360 and it showed because I ended up owning 2 360s during those years.
Never went back since because theyre still riding on Gears, Forza and Halo fucking decades later into their 4th generation.

Nothing wrong with these games but that's basically all you have to go with if you consider an Xbox.

wOs

Not even Cyberpunk? I always get confused with people who set thresholds off when to buy a console. If you have the 500 dollars as disposable income, then what's the harm in buying it now and having it for the next 5+ years? You do get upgraded versions of things you might play anyways. The whole when there are 5 games I want or I'll do it when x happens really confuses me. Unless of course it is a financial issue in which case don't get it to begin with.

Birdo

Banned
This is true for both with me.

I hate Spiderman and never enjoyed Demon's Souls.

The only game that interests me is Dirt 5. And that is cross-gen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Chasing power... yet again
Screaming it from the rooftops...yet again.
It happened with One X too.

It's no wonder that the only time MS was able to give Sony a run for their money was during the 360 ERA when they had a strong focus on software and ease of development on the 360 platform.

Microsoft wiped the fucking floor with Sony in that generation. Any other read of those years is skewed by fanboyism. Sony may have clawed it back in terms of pure console sales, but they lost MILLIONS on Ps3. Microsoft profited from 360.

They got pretty much everything right, while Sony screwed up left right and centre.

I have no idea why they just didn't repeat that success with XBox 3 and Xbox 4.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

You're telling me a singular cross-gen title having RT isn't far below what MS marketing promised? They were supposed to have "real" RT and "most consistent performance" I was told.

It's the exact same problem the X1X had launching with Super Lucky's Tale: you may be more powerful but if you can't show it doesn't matter. In fact, at least the X1X was much better than the Pro, while here it's the same as PS5 but with slower loading.

longdi

Banned
$500 from a pure hardware perspective, is insane value. So you already get a win with that.

As for launch line up, im not sure what more can you want? Cyberpunk is a big win already. Then with GPU, you have dozens and dozens of games to keep you busy.

The whole omg launch hyperbole, is just that. Nothing of substance imo

Concern

Another "fanboy" , "shill", or whatever new word you guys have made up for him lol. But since its a criticism towards Xbox, its gospel now.

As I've said, most disappointing next gen launch from both consoles.

Funny how its always the same group of people making these threads tho.

Not even Cyberpunk? I always get confused with people who set thresholds off when to buy a console. If you have the 500 dollars as disposable income, then what's the harm in buying it now and having it for the next 5+ years? You do get upgraded versions of things you might play anyways. The whole when there are 5 games I want or I'll do it when x happens really confuses me. Unless of course it is a financial issue in which case don't get it to begin with.

Same boat. I have the money, I game most nights so why not get it? Games are a bit "Meh" for me as few of the release titles grab me, but bearing in mind I'm on the OG PS4 still, the bump to 4k will be "Next Gen" for me. I'm not holding off for 6 months to save ~£50 because of the games available at launch.

Tiamat2san

I pre-ordered both consoles and I am still more exited about Xbox séries X than PlayStation 5 but it lacks a killer first party game.

Halo should have been big now it’s nowhere near .
No Forza , killer instinct etc...
Too bad.

but there’s tons of games to play, some are new to console like gears tactics.
Still The medium is the most exciting launch window game to me for both console.

Rolla

Banned
I have to spend £450 on a PS5. Sony spent 7 years making that argument to me. My last Platinum was TLOU2 and I'm currently mesmerized by Ghost Of Tsushima.

Ratchet dropped my jaw. Demon souls made me sweat. That extra content in COD got me thinking and my Wife and I play LBP so Sackboy is a must. The ray tracing in Miles Morales is looking next gen to me.

But the problem is, just saying the above is contentious to some. Despite the fact that as a Gamer I'm willing to pick up a XBSX. But I haven't seen any next gen game running on the console so my hesitation becomes automatic.

I simply do not care. I’m not crying when I buy a new GPU and there are no brand new games launching along side it.

Should they have had new 1st party games at launch? Sure, but it says more to me that they don’t want to rush it out and be judged harshly for an unfinished project. Look at Halo, their #1 franchise that was set for launch was also pulled back due to community outrage.

That, and I’m not hell bent on the “next gen” marketing that everyone’s is eating up. I’m still playing games released years ago because I like them, and just because new hardware is coming doesn’t make then any less than what they are.

I’ll have AC, Cyberpunk, watch dogs 🐕, CoD and all the other major 3rd party games that are coming to play until the real stuff starts coming.

Xbox has 23 studios currently, and more to come this year. I’m not worried as half of them are either half way through or very near completion for 2021 and beyond.

Each to their own, get a PS5 if you’re not happy is all I can recommend. You won’t want a PC either though since you know, no “NeXt GeN” launch titles will come with it:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tulipanzo

This is true for both with me.

I hate Spiderman and never enjoyed Demon's Souls.

The only game that interests me is Dirt 5. And that is cross-gen.
I feel the issue isn't with your personal preferences.
By that logic, I like LBP a lot, so it's a system seller and everything else doesn't matter.

It's perfectly reasonable to have your own taste, but when discussing strategy you need to look at general audience interest.
Are people going to care more for SpiderMan MM or for Bright Memory 1.0? Your own preference doesn't really change the answer.

MastaKiiLA

Kingthrash Kingthrash had a field day with the launch lineups in his latest video. Warning: it's biased af, but he makes me laugh.

The XSX/S launch really has little value. It's really a rushed launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom