• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuthenicCookie who broke news of Sony not going to E3 says PS5 is a Monster (Details inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDRZA MWS

Name one new console, that isn't an upgraded system, that has ever been successful at that price.

Sony tried this with the PS3, and Microsoft tried this with the Xbox One. Both failed miserably, so judging by past experience, $499 is objectively an awful price tag.

The PS3 was 599, the Xbox one struggled because it was 100 dollars more, included a kinect nobody wanted, and was less powerful than the ps4.

499 is a sweet spot for power/tech as long as there are no unwarranted gimicks.

In fact games do take longer to make. Assets need to be higher resolution, the maps have to have more geometry and be bigger... hardware resources must be put to good use, and that costs more than previous gen.

Apart from thatm Sony closed some studios, Driveclub could had a sequel, but we got the fkn Onrush.
We could have another Wipeout. Even a Bloodborne sequel too. Maybe Uncharted 5 or TLOU2 in time...

This gen have had some troubles, that's right. But even with that, I dont think it's fair to judge it only from first party ammount.
PS4 still have a pretty big catalog of games to enjoy, and for that it sold what it sold.

I would buy my console for the games it have, and not just for the exclusives it have compared to previous gen. I mean. What kind of reasoning is that?

yeah thats why you hire more people and acquire more studios instead of closing more. you know in your most successful console ever. don't give me that shit argument. thats the whole point of why am talking about it

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
yeah thats why you hire more people and acquire more studios instead of closing more. you know in your most successful console ever. don't give me that shit argument. thats the whole point of why am talking about it

Thing is that I see tons of first and even more third party games and the console is still relatively far away from being sunset.
Nobody can really complain about the value offering and the diversity of games coming out (regular and VR wise), hence why it is so successful. They started from a position of much greater strength, but they had some duds and internal competition on genres which are getting more and more niche by the day (hence why the badly and unfairly besmirched DriveClub and its studio were axed and GT / Polyphony was kept... the budget of the latter seems to be relatively tight though). Do I like it? Not really... does it make sense? Perhaps yes. They turned PS3 around and delivered a HW with tons of features and pushed on studios, talent growth, etc... but it did cost them dearly. PS4 needs to responsibly fill the coffee not bankrupt the company and/or make it unable to compete with MS next generation/in the long run.

Could they buy and spend and spend? Sure, but they need to do so responsibly and think about the long game as they do not have a monopoly on another large market (PC) to syphon profits from without a lot more resistance from investors and creditors.

Whitecrow

Banned
So you would give funds to people who you know they wont be able to get profit from it and lose money?
Is that what I'm suposed to understand from that post?
"Dont mind the money, just buy studios and make games"???

So you would give funds to people who you know they wont be able to get profit from it and lose money?
Is that what I'm suposed to understand from that post?
"Dont mind the money, just buy studios and make games"???

ok. now that we're starting business argument this isn't a good topic. because there are a ton of studio who make good games. but don't bring business semantics to me. you don't work at Sony, you want more games. thats what you And I want. if you want them to maximize profit over making more games then your a fanboy quite frankly.

The PS3 was 599, the Xbox one struggled because it was 100 dollars more, included a kinect nobody wanted, and was less powerful than the ps4.

499 is a sweet spot for power/tech as long as there are no unwarranted gimicks.
Consoles don't need to be powerful, all I need to make me happy is slightly better hardware than the X.

PS3 was $499 with a smaller hard drive and failed because of its price. Do you think casuals knew the original XB1 was less powerful than the PS4? Yeah, new premium consoles have always failed so for me $399 has to be the staple in the industry or else Sony didn't learn anything from the PS3. CELL was supposed to be a "powerhouse" but it wasn't.

TFGB

PS3 was $499 with a smaller hard drive and failed because of its price. CELL was supposed to be a "powerhouse" but it wasn't.
I can’t see how the PS3 could be deemed as a failure. As for the Cell processor, I remember when God Of War III was released on the PS3 and various devs were saying that it wouldn’t be possible for the (then) Xbox to run such a graphically demanding game. As far as consoles went, it was a powerhouse.

Last edited:

OverIt

I am glad that we are back on topic.

I think it can do well, but I am not sure if it can sell well at $500. It is all about the race to the $200 price point.

PS2 sold ~22 million in the year following the May 15th 2002 price drop to $200.

3DS sold ~15.5 m milion in the year following the July 2011 price drop.

360 sold 17.3 million in the fiscal year when it dropped its Xbox Arcade in 2008 September to $200

PS3 never got the big boost, maybe 2011 Black Friday sales which it peaked at 14.3 million for the fiscal year.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I am glad that we are back on topic.

I think it can do well, but I am not sure if it can sell well at $500. It is all about the race to the $200 price point.

PS2 sold ~22 million in the year following the May 15th 2002 price drop to $200.

3DS sold ~15.5 m milion in the year following the July 2011 price drop.

360 sold 17.3 million in the fiscal year when it dropped its Xbox Arcade in 2008 September to $200

PS3 never got the big boost, maybe 2011 Black Friday sales which it peaked at 14.3 million for the fiscal year.

Probably needed to provide a decent base power for VR to get high frames and decent imagery in a unit.
At least I think that is what the drive will be for pushing power next gen.

Whitecrow

Banned
ok. now that we're starting business argument this isn't a good topic. because there are a ton of studio who make good games. but don't bring business semantics to me. you don't work at Sony, you want more games. thats what you And I want. if you want them to maximize profit over making more games then your a fanboy quite frankly.
My god I cant believe what I am reading. That's utterly awful.

You want games? It OK, but you know what?
Devs and the staff at Sony want food for them and their families, so fuck your games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I already said what I think about the subject here (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ruth...monster-details-inside.1468163/post-253601686), but I guess I will be expecting your outrage in all the future Xbox threads where you will highlight the responsibility of a company worth 10x Sony to use their wealth and give the games away for basically free (full versions, not limited renting through Gamepass). I mean business concerns and sustainability be darned eh ;)?

There are plenty of MS oriented threads now on the front page, any minute then eh?

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Soyny CensorStation 5? A monster? Maybe just a pretentious one now that they're californicated...
giphy.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I was probably a bigger Sony fan than you and everyone else in the forum combined. The difference with me, I woke up.

4 ps4 pros that had disc drive failures. DS4 controllers with faulty thumb sticks. Overrated cinematic games that for over a decade I had to convince my self I was having a good time playing.

A sony XBR bravia tv I purchased in 2007 end up having dead pixels and clouding issues. I had to return it for a Panasonic plasma.

A sony x900b tv I purchased in 2014 only lasted 4 years until the tv LED started flashing red and wouldn't turn on. It also had a blown speaker. Turned out the power board failed. I called a TV tech to repair the tv which cost me $700 as I was out of warranty, funnily enough he told me that 90% of tv's he repairs are Sony.

The media is completely biased towards Sony and mislead people into believing that Sony can do no wrong. Sony is all about producing cheap quality products to maximize profit.

The only good exclusive title sony has had in the past decade is Bloodborne. The last of us, god of war, Uncharted, infamous are all objectively boring as fuck with dreadful gameplay. But hey, they look pretty and are cinematic so 11/10!

I purchased my first xbox X only last week and I have been having a fucking ball going through all the gears of wars, Halo and Forza series and far superior third party games in 4k. I also purcahsed the xbox elite controller and I could NEVER go back to that flimsy DS4. Hell, I could never go back to the playstation ecosystem after I have experienced a premium console that offers game pass and actually fun games.

Soon people will open their eyes. Mark my words.

The media isn't bias that Sony can't do no wrong.

This is a narrative Xbox fans continue to shout because their preferred console is not "leading."

I know, you're going to post PS trophies to "prove" you're not a fanboy, but there are many fanboys who play on multiple platforms. I've heard more stories of Xbox One X console failures (especially the Xbox One X Project Scorpio edition) than the PS4 Pro (You can find a lot of videos on this via YouTube).

It's odd that many people claim Sony products are so bad yet we have seen what happened with the 360 with the RROD and the power cord problem with the original Xbox that caused gamer's Xbox consoles to catch on fire. MS had to replace power cords on the Xbox.

I had a original PS4 and now I have a PS4 Pro with no problems. I basically got an Xbox One X console for free and I rarely use it. There's no need to open my eyes because PS4 offers me a better experience than my Xbox console has all generation long (purchased an Xbox day one).

demigod

And yet Microsoft will come out with a console that is more powerful, more reliable, with a better controller and a better ecosystem. While Sony will continue to censor tits and vagine whilst having a plethora of games with emasculated males running around with pink haired lesbians trying to save the world.

Within the first 3 months the PS5 contoller will have numerous reports of the thumb stick grips failing, disc drive issues and the PS store constantly freezing.

Quote me on this.

My launch 60gb PS3 would like a word with you.

Thedtrain

Every time I see this thread at the top I get excited for new drops of info.

To say I’ve been disappointed over the last few pages would be an understatement 🙄

Ar¢tos

I just had a crazy idea. Why don't we just let developers decide what Framerate and what resolution fits better for their games, instead of constantly begging for 4k@60?
Games will sell regardless of resolution or Framerate and only a tiny percentage of gamers will go online to complain, casual gamers know no better. Just look at RDR2, basically no HDR and sold anyway Even Fallout 76 managed to sell, even after Bugthesda practically said they couldn't be bothered with bug testing .

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Every time I see this thread at the top I get excited for new drops of info.

To say I’ve been disappointed over the last few pages would be an understatement 🙄

If there is actual news that gets dropped it wont be added to already derailed threads I can promise you that :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just had a crazy idea. Why don't we just let developers decide what Framerate and what resolution fits better for their games, instead of constantly begging for 4k@60?
Games will sell regardless of resolution or Framerate and only a tiny percentage of gamers will go online to complain, casual gamers know no better. Just look at RDR2, basically no HDR and sold anyway Even Fallout 76 managed to sell, even after Bugthesda practically said they couldn't be bothered with bug testing .

Here...here!!

Shin

Banned
This site has a lot of solid info compiled and worth reading for discussion sake.
https://www.computerbild.de/artikel...elease-Termin-Name-Preis-Technik-8770650.html (German > Eng)

I remember making a thread a while back about GT Sport having high res textures that could be used for future releases.
At the time some laughed about Kaz saying the same old with every GT game, but funny enough GTS was shown before in 8K (I think to demonstrate Sony's TV?).
There's an apparently 8K/120FPS version shown somewhere, though sadly we can't make it out from the crappy YTube video.
Yet it does bode well for a potential GT7 releasing in a timely manner and it would definitely put PS5 in a sold out state for some months perhaps (speculation on my part).

Last edited:

farmerboy

Going to throw something out there:

$499: BD-XL drive and 1TB HDD.
$399: with just a 1TB HDD.

So, obviously the latter is digital only, no physical disc support (not even via USB). Both can have their HDD manually upgraded.

Which would you get?

With the drive, physical media all the way.

pimentel1

Banned
Besides streaming yourself with the controller cam, in combination with the system cam, they could technically make it so that if you wanted to inspect a model plane for example, you could duck and look underneath your plane to see the undercarriage or look at the sides of the plane on your TV by leaning over, all through using the controller cam for eye/head tracking and the system cam for body tracking and position.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I genuinely believe this is a controlled leak by Sony to throw Microsoft off their trail. We’re getting a lot of “leaks” with different and conflicting information and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just my 2 cents.
I hope you’re right.

Edit: I’m already anxious to see what sort of launch titles we’ll get. It better be better than PS4’s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom