• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Tams

Gold Member
The US & UK will have to get Continental Europe, out of the shit...again.
While others are standing up (a big shout to the Baltic countries, most Eastern European countries (fuck you Hungry) and the Nordic countries too), including France and Germany sending a lot of aid; it is frustrating that they still need pushing.

Turkey are... playing their own silly games. I wish Ataturk were still alive.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
While others are standing up (a big shout to the Baltic countries, most Eastern European countries (fuck you Hungry) and the Nordic countries too), including France and Germany sending a lot of aid; it is frustrating that they still need pushing.

hopefully thon cunt will be ousted come the next elections or fully be shown up to be the dictator in waiting we all know he is, Turks need to get their act together and get rid of the cunt, hes a dangerous one

Lasha

hopefully thon cunt will be ousted come the next elections or fully be shown up to be the dictator in waiting we all know he is, Turks need to get their act together and get rid of the cunt, hes a dangerous one
Erdogan is going to cruise to re-election. He has dismantled most opposition and doubled down on Islam to court conservatives.

Liljagare

Just read that Turkey also has stopped looking at Finlands NATO application as they see both applications from Sweden and Finland as a joint application.

(only sauce I can see is in swedish so far)

Wth.

Facism

Just read that Turkey also has stopped looking at Finlands NATO application as they see both applications from Sweden and Finland as a joint application.

Wth.

They cancelled the tripartite meetings and advised Finland to pursue nato separately. It's the logical thing to do tbh. They dissociate themselves from the stink of swedens open support for the Marxist terror group pkk/ypg and the hypocrisy of wanting nato membership to protect their national security interests whilst shitting all over turkey's.

Majormaxxx

They cancelled the tripartite meetings and advised Finland to pursue nato separately. It's the logical thing to do tbh. They dissociate themselves from the stink of swedens open support for the Marxist terror group pkk/ypg and the hypocrisy of wanting nato membership to protect their national security interests whilst shitting all over turkey's.
Turkey is big enough to attempt to lead foreign policy that benefits its own interests in the first place, unlike most eu states. It plays all sides.

Tams

Gold Member

Wth.

They need reminding that just because there's a treaty saying others will come to their aid if they are invaded, it doesn't mean those others actually will. And there'd be jack shit they could do about it as there is no body above independent sovereign states (the institutions 'above' them all require those states' cooperation, so really aren't above at all)

Tams

Gold Member

Let's not paint Turkey as being good here. They are incredibly self-serving and really aren't trusted by most of NATO. Plus, they are a de-facto dictatorship after Erdogan organised that 'coup' against him.

Majormaxxx

They need reminding that just because there's a treaty saying others will come to their aid if they are invaded, it doesn't mean those others actually will. And there'd be jack shit they could do about it as there is no body above independent sovereign states (the institutions 'above' them all require those states' cooperation, so really aren't above at all)
Turkey doesn't really need nato to back it if they were attacked. That's not why they are in nato.

Majormaxxx

Let's not paint Turkey as being good here. They are incredibly self-serving and really aren't trusted by most of NATO. Plus, they are a de-facto dictatorship after Erdogan organised that 'coup' against him.
There is no good and bad in international politics. This isn't the kindergarten. And as much as turkey might be a dictatorship, the USA is not a democracy but a de-facto oligarchy.

Tams

Gold Member
There is no good and bad in international politics. This isn't the kindergarten. And as much as turkey might be a dictatorship, the USA is not a democracy but a de-facto oligarchy.

Turkey is worse. You can at least make your voice heard in the US and not get arrested or worse.

And if it isn't a playground, then why are Turkey treating it like one? That argument works in both directions.

And let's end this here as we're on dangerous ground.

Last edited:

Facism

Brother, all I'm doing is adding nuance before the discussion on Turkey goes the way of era and we deal in absolutes that don't serve the discussion. I do appreciate your view and don't want to cause friction, but there are real defence and political issues that need to be resolved between Turkey and Sweden before NATO membership goes anywhere. All are within the means of both nations to be solved and hopefully will be. Both nation's (well Sweden and the Ottomans) have a history of alliance and friendship dating back to Charles XII defeat and exile that dragged the Ottomans into a war with Russia in the 1700s.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

It's also more fucking puzzling given Hungary's history with Soviet Russia. You'd think the people would jump at every chance to kick Russia in the balls instead of kowtowing like little bitches. Hungarians must have forgotten how hundreds of thousands of their people were tortured, raped and/or killed in Russian labour camps or during the occupation or their country.

Lasha

NATO will come to Turkey's aid. Turkey has been a contributing member of NATO since the fifties. Sweden and Finland only decided to join NATO because it finally benefited them. Turkey has a right to have its concerns addressed. Especially with regards to Sweden who does harbor interests which directly affect Turkey's security.

Brother, all I'm doing is adding nuance before the discussion on Turkey goes the way of era and we deal in absolutes that don't serve the discussion. I do appreciate your view and don't want to cause friction, but there are real defence and political issues that need to be resolved between Turkey and Sweden before NATO membership goes anywhere. All are within the means of both nations to be solved and hopefully will be. Both nation's (well Sweden and the Ottomans) have a history of alliance and friendship dating back to Charles XII defeat and exile that dragged the Ottomans into a war with Russia in the 1700s.
Turkey and the South Caucasus are like a blind spot to Europe. Basically nobody knows what PKK does in the region and why it is designated a terrorist group. Similarly they don't realize that Karabakh is a separatist enclave which was cleansed of Azeris and not the other way around. Its a messy region.

Liljagare

Turkey and the South Caucasus are like a blind spot to Europe. Basically nobody knows what PKK does in the region and why it is designated a terrorist group. Similarly they don't realize that Karabakh is a separatist enclave which was cleansed of Azeris and not the other way around. Its a messy region.

Despite Turkish efforts, most of Europe knows what has been going on in the region since the treaty of Lausanne, unfortunately.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This number is absolutely astronomical. How can this be accepted in the XXI century?
Because as a truly Asian country Russia holds little value to the lives of their citizens. Already Catherine the Great realised that Russians are not cultured Prussians, Austrians, French as her husband thought . Which is why she won.

mxbison

what annoys me is... why haven't the Russians over thrown putler yet...

Because most of them support him.

Even if they had legit elections, he would win.

Russia is shit at a lot of things but they always understood the importance of misinformation and propaganda. They were working hard on also spreading it in the US and Europe long before the invasion.

Lasha

Because as a truly Asian country Russia holds little value to the lives of their citizens. Already Catherine the Great realised that Russians are not cultured Prussians, Austrians, French as her husband thought . Which is why she won.

Asian cultures lean towards collectivism. It's why they are developing much differently from Russia. Between the USSR and Putin, Russians have been conditioned to only think of themselves and ignore the condition of everybody else around them. Those who had any empathy or civic concern were ground down or left. What remains explains why you see a people that appear to act European but have zero investment in anything but their own life.

Facism

"Turkish efforts"... We're good. I know how that line plays out. :)

haha yeh man sent me an angry PM with all the usual whataboutisms/turkophobia after my last post lmao.

Get in Poland. Didn't realise they had their own indigenously-produced T-72 variants.

Last edited:

Lasha

haha yeh man sent me an angry PM with all the usual whataboutisms/turkophobia after my last post lmao.

I'm good. I can take introduce you to some of my family and friends who were run out of their childhood homes if you're ever in Tbilisi. The diaspora is actually the worst at having a feel on the south Caucasus.

tony the tiger swerk GIF

Liljagare

Go figure!

Swedish journalist Chang Frick, affiliated with Russian propagandist channel RT, paid for Danish far-right activist Rasmus Paludan to publicly burn the Quran near the Turkish embassy in Sweden.
Swedish media learned that while Paludan, who also holds Swedish citizenship, traveled to Stockholm specifically for the protest, his application fee for the demonstration permit was paid by Frick.
Latest reports said that Frick also paid for Paludan's plane ticket to Sweden, but both Paludan and Frick deny it.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/inte...d-journalist-paid-for-quran-burning-in-sweden

Also,

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

Glad to hear that there are a number of competent people behind the scenes preparing in advance for what was going to be needed in the end.

I know of at least some anecdotal reports of increased tank activity in the UK around known tank bases over the past several months, so this does add up.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Maybe it's because I don't keep up with international politics much (or pretty much any politics these days), but Turkey's foreign relations seems all over the place to me. They're in NATO, but seem antagonistic towards it at the same time. And despite being a NATO member with a long hostile history against Russia, including many small wars and one very long one, they now share a good relationship in regards to both energy and business.

I should probably find a good book on the subject.

Tams

Gold Member
Maybe it's because I don't keep up with international politics much (or pretty much any politics these days), but Turkey's foreign relations seems all over the place to me. They're in NATO, but seem antagonistic towards it at the same time. And despite being a NATO member with a long hostile history against Russia, including many small wars and one very long one, they now share a good relationship in regards to both energy and business.

I should probably find a good book on the subject.

They are in an absolutely shitty geopolitical position.

It's a major trade (and migration) bottleneck, even to this day. That makes it an incredibly desirable place to control, and many battles and wars have ben foughtniver that land. It's also where Christianity and Islam meet/clash. And since the 19th century has had Russia/the USSR/Russia putting pressure on it.

None of which justifies their shitty foreign policy, as tough as it may be for them. Turkey under Erdogan actively makes it worse for themselves.

TwinB242

Russia has way too much momentum atm. They've advanced quite a bit to the southwest of Bakhmut and are close to partially encircling the city. At this rate within the next few weeks Ukraine will need to retreat as their supply routes will be cut off and they'll risk being fully encircled.

Then there's the Vuhledar direction. I didn't think this town was of any importance but apparently if Russia takes it they'll be in a much better position to defend the Crimean land bridge against any potential Ukranian counteroffensives.

And this is all before the 1 year anniversary of the war on the 24th, when Russia is rumored to be starting a series of new offensives on multiple fronts.

The news of a few western tanks being delivered feels so insignificant right now. Ukraine needs far more heavy weapons and they need them quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom