• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Mikado

Gold Member

n7FRQL.gif

Tams

5D chess - sanctions against Russia could spook BRICS countries to develop an alternative for dollar
If it happens, the crypto bros will convince them to use crypto and subsequently scam them. Do it BRICS.

TwinB242

The question is whether the HIMARs given to Ukraine still have that GPS guided targeting system. The M777s had a similar system but they were removed before being handed to Ukraine for national security reasons.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Anyway it looks like my assumption of months back was correct, the west gives the Donbas and will call it a day .. predictable as fuck .. I hate politics.

You can tell by what military hardware the Ukraine receives .. enough to defend but not capable of pushing back. Again fuck politics.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Anyway it looks like my assumption of months back was correct, the west gives the Donbas and will call it a day .. predictable as fuck .. I hate politics.

You can tell by what military hardware the Ukraine receives .. enough to defend but not capable of pushing back. Again fuck politics.

Ukraine keeps hinting at a major turning point in August. The confidence in statements like these make me think that they're stocking up on weapons and vehicles for major counteroffensives. They've probably been given a bunch of toys by other countries that haven't been made public knowledge yet.

"Ukraine will return to its borders of 1991, there will be no other scenarios and we are not considering any other scenarios. Beginning in August, certain events will take place, that will demonstrate to the whole world that the turning point begins to take place."

tommolb

Ukraine keeps hinting at a major turning point in August. The confidence in statements like these make me think that they're stocking up on weapons and vehicles for major counteroffensives. They've probably been given a bunch of toys by other countries that haven't been made public knowledge yet.

While I want this to be true, the main narrative of the last few weeks appears to be one (small) Russian victory after another. Russia brings overwhelming force to a specific point and pushes Ukrainian forces back, with Sievierodonetsk being the latest example and Lysychansk probably the next. I want to believe Ukraine is playing for time, while ensuring Russians pay for every inch of land and bleed manpower and supplies whilst doing so.

sinnergy

[/URL]
I like to see that .. but if you think about it as the West would .. my suggestion makes more sense .. fuck politics.

They got Sweden / Finland and Ukraine.. again politics .

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ukraine has been steadily training up the necessary personal over the last load of weeks whilst the west delivers the heavy weapons required to make a difference, these things take time. Ukraine has shown time and again it's ability to outsmart and outmanoeuvre it's far bigger foe with the weapons it has, imagine what they'll do once all the modern NATO systems come to bare against old Soviet machinery and a conscript army with zero morale

Last edited:

Gp1

The question is whether the HIMARs given to Ukraine still have that GPS guided targeting system. The M777s had a similar system but they were removed before being handed to Ukraine for national security reasons.
It seems so

And considering what Rob Lee is reporting, it's wasn't a bad day for Ukraine after all. Russia lost another jet yesterday and...

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Now remember chaps what we hear on the news and through "official" channels is exactly what the military wants us to hear, they want the Russians to think they're aren't getting the good stuff, they want the Russians to think the west is stalling or bickering over what to send and what systems to leave out, this is all a game and the Ukrainians alongwith NATO are keeping their cards close to their chest

HoodWinked

bit of a reality check, regarding the blockades in Lithuania, Commodities, Sanctions. One thing mentioned specifically that's insane is that funds from retirements and pensions forfeited many Russian investments and all that value was lost and essentially just given to Russia for free now all of those have 3x because commodity prices have exploded and all of those gains are in Russian pockets. Sanctions are becoming more and more porous and having a negative impact on the US dollar reserve status as they are now settling oil purchases in other currencies.

(time stamped to 1:08:42)

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm impressed with the steadiness of the camera.
Also wonder what they were getting hit with since it seemed to vary through the video.

Nikodemos

Just when you think they can't sink any lower, Russia still manages to exceed expectations....

You know those medical horror stories about somebody cutting what looks like a large pimple while shaving, and they get covered in some sort of mutant flesh-eating MRSA?

This war caused the infected pimple that is Putin's Russia to burst and cover everything with its flesh-eating shit.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Russian stealth jet...phillips head screw instead of rivets :S Maintenance is going to be a bit of a bitch :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Wtf is this, the phillips (!) screw heads are not even flush.. And if you zoom in you can see that the holes are actually drilled measured by eye.. Well, if it works it works, but that's the question isn't it..

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
bit of a reality check, regarding the blockades in Lithuania, Commodities, Sanctions. One thing mentioned specifically that's insane is that funds from retirements and pensions forfeited many Russian investments and all that value was lost and essentially just given to Russia for free now all of those have 3x because commodity prices have exploded and all of those gains are in Russian pockets. Sanctions are becoming more and more porous and having a negative impact on the US dollar reserve status as they are now settling oil purchases in other currencies.
I'm not gonna bother watching the video, but come on, of course this is costly in short and mid term, and will give ruzzia some short term bonuses along the way. No one in their right mind would think that sanctions would affect only those imposed.. My country is very much feeling it, inflation, interest rates and energy prices is crazy high already, it's directly affecting my own pockets, and yet I'm still fully onboard. Sanctions has a price, a weaker global economy isn't the end goal here, trying to find a way to stop ruzzia's razing of Ukraine and the impending razing of ruzzia's other neighbors after that is. If Putin gets his way, Europe and NATO might fall, and with ruzzia and china in the driving seat we will be worrying about a lot more than our bank accounts.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
They do that for prototypes. A production version would have rivets.

Not even have to be prototypes.. I don't know about state of the art military jets, but I just did some digging and to my surprise phillips heads are actually commonly used in the civil aviation industry. I learned something new today I guess.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Sanctions drive Russia to first foreign debt default since 1918

Russia is set to default on its foreign-currency sovereign debt after bond holders reported the Kremlin missed two payments late Sunday, per the Wall Street Journal.

Why it matters: This is the foreseeable outcome of sanctions imposed due to the invasion of Ukraine, even though Russia had successfully pushed off the inevitable for months. For now, the default is mostly notable for its symbolism as Russia's first foreign debt default since 1918, reflecting the country's international pariah status and crumbling economy.

Our thought bubble, via Axios' Felix Salmon: Bond defaults normally happen because the issuer doesn't want to make the payment. In this case, Russia was clearly willing to do so; it just wasn't able to.

The big picture: Russia hasn't defaulted on international debts since the Bolshevik Revolution, though it defaulted on domestic debt during a financial crash in 1998.

• Russian officials have struggled with payments on $40 billion of outstanding bonds since the U.S. and allies moved to impose sanctions on the country after Putin's forces launched their invasion last February.
  • Russia's President Vladimir Putin signed a decree last week for a temporary measure giving the government 10 days to pick banks to handle payments under a new scheme, indicating Russia will regard its debt obligations fulfilled by paying bondholders in rubles, Reuters reports.
What to watch: Although the deadline passed for Russian officials to meet a 30-day grace period on interest payments that were originally due on May 27, it could be a while before a default is confirmed, AP notes.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Sanctions drive Russia to first foreign debt default since 1918

This isn't that significant overall. Russia has the funds to pay their debts, but because of the sanctions freezing their foreign reserves they don't have the capability to move that money. So its more a symbolic impact than a sign that their economy is in the toilet (though it'll hopefully get to that point eventually).

mxbison

This isn't that significant overall. Russia has the funds to pay their debts, but because of the sanctions freezing their foreign reserves they don't have the capability to move that money. So its more a symbolic impact than a sign that their economy is in the toilet (though it'll hopefully get to that point eventually).

Creditors are not getting their money, it doesn't really matter why.

Everyone will be more reluctant to lend Russia money in the future since you can't be sure you'll get it back. Definitely significant.

Sakura

Creditors are not getting their money, it doesn't really matter why.

Everyone will be more reluctant to lend Russia money in the future since you can't be sure you'll get it back. Definitely significant.
Don't the sanctions prevent Russia from borrowing money anyway though?

winjer

Gold Member

True, but creditors want their money, not excuses.

In a way, this is great news for China, because they might become Russia's only big lender. So creating a debt trap to catch all that's worth owning in Russia, just became easier.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

MADRID, June 27 (Reuters) - NATO will increase the number of its forces at high readiness massively to over 300,000, Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Monday.

"We will transform the NATO response force and increase the number of our high readiness forces to well over 300,000," he told reporters ahead of a NATO summit in Madrid later this week in Madrid.

NATO's quick reaction force, the NATO response force, so far has some 40,000 troops.

At the Madrid summit, NATO will also change its language on Russia that in the alliance's last strategy from 2010 was still described as a strategic partner.

"That will not be the case in the strategic concept that we will agree in Madrid," Stoltenberg said.

"I expect that allies will state clearly that Russia poses a direct threat to our security, to our values, to the rules-based international order."

We are pretty much, back to a Cold War state of affairs.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If anyone needed more evidence that Russia won't stop with Ukraine, well here it is

I had no idea that Russia's military operations were planned by guests on Russian talk shows. That must mean that Putin is just a figurehead and the real power lies with the most outrageous, belligerent pundits Vladimir Solovyov invites.

Top Bottom