• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

RgH3FnK.png

993e5b72-d29f-4090-a987-2c9dff8d0d31_text.gif

Sakura

The situation south of lysychansk is really bad at the moment, Russians are close to encircling Ukrainian forces in Zolote, Hirske, and Novoivanivka. There aren't any available roads out either, so they'll have to retreat through a bunch of fields and forests.

FVy9zYBVIAAnUWm
I don't know why they would've waited so long to retreat. Letting your troops get surrounded is a good way lose a lot of men and equipment.
Though who knows how close the Russians really are to encircling.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The situation south of lysychansk is really bad at the moment, Russians are close to encircling Ukrainian forces in Zolote, Hirske, and Novoivanivka. There aren't any available roads out either, so they'll have to retreat through a bunch of fields and forests.

FVy9zYBVIAAnUWm

Apparently they're retreating out of the whole area and moving to a different line of defense.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Apparently they're retreating out of the whole area and moving to a different line of defense.

Will see, but also we should be noting these at 4-5km gains. This isn't a huge breakthrough - could turn into something broader but Ukraine has consistently bled out Russia on small gains, retrenched, then countered on new fronts. If this force gets fully encircled (and we don't know it's size) that could be a noteworthy win for Russia, but really this is as much as they've ever shown - taking towns not cities.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Will see, but also we should be noting these at 4-5km gains. This isn't a huge breakthrough - could turn into something broader but Ukraine has consistently bled out Russia on small gains, retrenched, then countered on new fronts. If this force gets fully encircled (and we don't know it's size) that could be a noteworthy win for Russia, but really this is as much as they've ever shown - taking towns not cities.

yeah, on the eastern front 100 men die for 1 square foot of ground

meanwhile on the south firs shows shelling of positions in the outskirts of kherson...

akimbo009

Gold Member
yeah, on the eastern front 100 men die for 1 square foot of ground

meanwhile on the south firs shows shelling of positions in the outskirts of kherson...

And Ukraine is showing progress there. Everyday Russia is losing 100+ folks, and they have finite folks... And Ukraine isn't really running out of land at this rate.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And Ukraine is showing progress there. Everyday Russia is losing 100+ folks, and they have finite folks... And Ukraine isn't really running out of land at this rate.

BTW, they either reclaimed kyselivka or are fighting inside... and that town is a stone's throw from chornobaika and kherson.

MrA

Banned
Unfortunately Russian men are pretty nihilistic, dying for their country , no matter how misguided, gives purpose.
I think now would be a good time for western powers to work with Ukraine offer incentives for individual soldiers to surrender.
surrender is actually pretty contagious, plus it’s good propaganda (in the most effective sense, nothing better than letting your enemy know their boys are happier and better treated as pows, also reallybhard to call someone a nazi when they are treating pows like human beings)

I really think supplying the Ukrainians with stuff with the best weapon push would probably end the war the fastest, get the Russian to decide its not worth fighting anymore (ironically i think something like the Churchill crocodile would make a meaningful difference, that thing terrified the nazis in ww2 like as in it Simply being on the battlefield would cause people to surrender , I guess a guy that isn't afraid of being shot still doesn't like the idea of being lit on fire by a tank)

Tams

I support.
I don't see why. It seems stupid.
  • Terrible buy-back prices (and this is coming from me who doesn't even live in a gun-toting country) - literally a joke for many guns.
  • Miami police don't have the authority to export guns.
  • The Ukrainians aren't short on small arms as far as I know, and a hodge-podge of them isn't going to help much either.
The ammunition is probably going to be the only useful stuff. And stuff from goodness knows where is potentially dangerous to handle. Not to mention there's much easier to get small ammunition in Europe that can be bought.

I like that you are ignoring far bigger propaganda, which has been going on for year. Also Nazis are literally in any country alongside Tankies. Yes they are Ukrainian nazis, but they didn't atracked anyone.

Also they are far more Russians who are nazis, which is well known. Wagner group, etc
He's indicating that the tweet might be bullshit and that person wasn't a captured russian soldier.
That's a valid thing to do. You just started an argument for what sake exactly?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
He's indicating that the tweet might be bullshit and that person wasn't a captured russian soldier.

He's indicating that the narrative is bullshit because there's about 10x more nazis in Ruzzia than in Ukraine.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Did I? Which kind of argument, I just joined the discussion, if you look before my post, you can read his excellent observations while linking some pro-Kremlin sources. So I didn't started anything.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The first HIMARS are officially in use in Ukraine. Orcs have made quite a few gains south of lysychansk in the last few days, so hopefully these will slow them down a bit

Can’t wait to see what kind of hits they can land with those rockets.

If they have 4, I assume 3-4 will go east and 0-1 will go to a supporting front, be it Kharkiv, Zaporizhia or Kherson.

TwinB242

Fuck Putler

Meat Grinder GIF

This is why the battle for the Donbas is so important right now. If Putin takes the entire territory, he'll be able to free up a lot of forces to redirect to either the south or north of Kyiv for renewed offenses. Im not convinced he will stop until he has control of the entire country.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Olga Tokariuk's thread about the 2013-2014 Maidan and Yanukovyches last gasp of power. This is why Ukraine then fought and still fights. I'm still amazed that there are people in western world spouting this nazi Ukraine narrative... EU should really step-up do more.

TwinB242

New $450 million military aid package

Four High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems
36,000 rounds of 105mm ammunition
18 tactical vehicles to tow 155mm artillery
1,200 grenade launchers
2,000 machine guns
18 coastal and riverine patrol boats
Spare parts and other equipment

sinnergy

This is why the battle for the Donbas is so important right now. If Putin takes the entire territory, he'll be able to free up a lot of forces to redirect to either the south or north of Kyiv for renewed offenses. Im not convinced he will stop until he has control of the entire country.
Yup. He wants to be remembered as a Hittler . So sad.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
warmonitor3 claims overnight UA destroyed a C&C post and an equipment depo in the kherson region

it should be noted that warmonitor3 is ukrainian and while generally he has good info, he has sometimes been too positive

Last edited:

TwinB242

Russia just doesn't give a shit anymore. They're basically comic book villains at this point

A Russian lawmaker on Thursday called for airstrikes on the US Embassy in Kyiv after Ukraine received a new batch of American long-range artillery.

Yury Shvytkin, the deputy chairman of the Russian parliament's defense committee, made the suggestion in an interview with the Russian news outlet Lenta.ru.

He said that the US delivery of the High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) to Ukraine "emphasizes the step-by-step movement towards a third world war."

"One must understand that we must react harshly. In my view, we should also react to those countries that are supplying weapons," Shvytkin told Lenta.ru.

"The main center of decision-making is the US Embassy," Shvytkin continued. "My position is that we need to destroy the government quarter in Kyiv, we need to destroy the relevant points."

"We will not stand by and watch this mess. While they slap us on the one cheek, we will not turn the other."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=b30b63ea23624d63bdf3c2549a33d2b6

Top Bottom