• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumours from Sabi: Paper Mario and Metroid Fusion sequel coming in 2020

Carna

Banned
I love a Metroid game that continues after fusion, but I doubt Nintendo would make one. after Other M's critical reception. and the fact that Metroid isn't that financially successful as a series to Nintendo.

I know the gameplay is what it means by "going back to how it was", but I hope some of the design philosophy comes back too. All of the npcs in the early Paper Mario games had so much personality. The idea of keeping things closer to how they're depicted in the mainline games hurt it just as much as the gameplay changes IMO.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If real I take back my not supporting Nintendo stance. I'd kill my entire family for a 2D Metroid pushing the franchise forward. Paper Mario not getting fucked around by Miyamoto is good too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
My cannon is ready.

giphy.gif

Eh?

You could say that about gaming in general.
You could say that for sports games maybe but not gaming in general. Nintendo milks franchises to an unparalleled level where we're looking at legit 10-40+ games in a franchise, most of the franchises resemble each other, are a mix of the franchises and characters, and they for some reason get a pass.

It's mind boggling.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Hopefully it doesn't follow Fusion's terrible level design philosophy.
Fusion has fantastic level-design. Don't confuse being linear (at the beginning at least) with having a bad level-design. At the end of the game, all the regions are connected and the result is absolutely incredible and clever.

Best Metroid as far as I am concerned. They better don't let Mercury Steam put their hands on this series ever again.

You could say that for sports games maybe but not gaming in general. Nintendo milks franchises to an unparalleled level where we're looking at legit 10-40+ games in a franchise, most of the franchises resemble each other or are a mix of the franchises and characters but they for some reason get a pass.

It's mind boggling.

Meanwhile, I was still waiting for follow ups of Nintendo games created almost 30 years ago. Nintendo now is basically a factory of the same milked-out franchises; The Legend of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, etc. I bet they can't stop themselves from milking the very few new franchises like Splatoon completely dry.

Fusion has fantastic level-design. Don't confuse being linear (at the beginning at least) with having a bad level-design. At the end of the game, all the regions are connected and the result is absolutely incredible and clever.

Best Metroid as far as I am concerned. They better don't let Mercury Steam put their hands on this series ever again.

I would opine that linearity in a Metroid game is bad level design, as it goes against what I consider to be a core aspect of the franchise: exploration and discovery.

I didn't hate Fusion, but it's definitely my least favorite game in the proper series, excluding trash like Other M and Federation Force.

Paper Mario going back to not being shit would be a dream come true. The Mario and Luigi games that have kind of filled that role are good, but just not as good and don't quite fill that same niche.

Another side scrolling Metroid is also very welcome, and a proper sequel to Fusion has been needed for over a decade now.

Zannegan

Hopefully it doesn't follow Fusion's terrible level design philosophy.
Or its storytelling, which was an absolute precursor to Other M.

Sakamoto needs to understand that his vision for Samus as a character has been roundly rejected because it's garbage, not because people don't get it. If he takes another shot at trying to write what's going on in Samus' head, he might just kill the character. He's a great game designer (mostly), but an awful director.

Whatever comes next for Samus, I hope story is kept to a minimum. Better that than the awful internal monologues from Fusion and Other M.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can't wait for someone else to be at the helm of Metroid. Nothing but retcon remakes and bad sequels because Sakamoto fundamentally misunderstands the franchise. Last good Metroid game was 12 years ago.

You could say that for sports games maybe but not gaming in general. Nintendo milks franchises to an unparalleled level where we're looking at legit 10-40+ games in a franchise, most of the franchises resemble each other, are a mix of the franchises and characters, and they for some reason get a pass.

It's mind boggling.

To use your quote from a previous thread - people see what they want to see...

I’d take Nintendo’s IP’s and exclusives over MS’s and Sony’s any day of the week.

Sony does a decent job but sometimes are lacking in gameplay - at least they try though.

MS is on 6 GOW with a strategy game coming up and it hasn’t evolved one bit.

Halo has actually regressed since 3.

VertigoOA

Banned
Super Metroid is the greatest of all time.

Metroid Fusion was a GREAT sequel. Far preferred it over Zero Mission as well.

just keep the amateur hour developers at Mercury Stream away.

I really liked the Prime games way back when but a proper Metroid sequel from Intelligent Systems is where my heart lies.

Last edited:

Fbh

A new 2D metroid would be nice. Though if they are going to charge $60 for it (and they will) it needs to be fucking amazing in a post Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Ori, Bloodstained, etc world.

H2x1_NSwitch_12Switch_image1600w.jpg

What? Not what you had in mind?

To be fair it's pretty fun (specially after some beers). It just should have been like........ $10

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Metroid Fusion sequel ONLY if it’s 2d. Otherwise, no, I don’t want some weird 3D third person bollocks. My 3d Metroid should stay prime, and everything else 2d.

Now in all honesty, I don’t mind if it’s 2.5d or 2d. But I doubt Nintendo have the balls to do a seriously sexy looking 2d Metroid, sadly.

Reactions: Isa
Awesome, as long as Paper Mario has no useless and boring gimmicks this time, going back to its roots

And, especially, Fusion 2 has no terrible 3d fucking graphics

2d / toon or I'll gladly let it stay in the dust

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I made a week ago a case for a new Metroid developed by Mercury Steam.

To sum up:

- 3 years without an announcement from the spanish studio.

- Sakamoto was very happy working with them

- Samus Returns overall did well: it wasn't a huge success but still leagues better than Other M and Federation Force.

- Prime 4 is still early in development so Nintendo wants to release something Metroid related in between (also Sakamoto was never confirmed if he was jealous of Prime success or not)

Last edited by a moderator:

MAtgS

And this is why I sold my Switch, after 30 years I finally got tired of the unimaginative rinse and repeat of Nintendo games. Make something else, holy shit.
It's been close to 2 decades since Fusion and Thousand Year Door. Subsequent PM and Metroid games have been quite different. This seems an extreme overreaction.

It's mind boggling.

I hope you're not a Blizzard stan, because technically they're no different.

I made a week ago a case for a new Metroid developed by Mercury Steam.

To sum up:

- 3 years without an announcement from the spanish studio.

- Sakamoto was very happy working with them

- Samus Returns overall did well: it wasn't a huge success but still leagues better than Other M and Federation Force.

- Prime 4 is still early in development so Nintendo wants to release something Metroid related in between (also Sakamoto was never confirmed if he was jealous of Prime success or not)

That's well and good, but SR IMO lacked the cadence, with the required counters making boss fights a bit much sometimes.

Last edited:

Great to see another fan of Metroid Fusion. It's my favorite Metroid too.

Or its storytelling, which was an absolute precursor to Other M.

Sakamoto needs to understand that his vision for Samus as a character has been roundly rejected because it's garbage, not because people don't get it. If he takes another shot at trying to write what's going on in Samus' head, he might just kill the character. He's a great game designer (mostly), but an awful director.

Whatever comes next for Samus, I hope story is kept to a minimum. Better that than the awful internal monologues from Fusion and Other M.
I don't remember any awful internal monologues from Metroid Fusion. Granted, I never played Other M so I can't compare but I would never use "awful" as a word to describe any part of Metroid Fusion.

Stouffers

Banned
What Fusion lacks in exploration, it more than makes up for in atmosphere.

Other M, while enjoyable, fucked up both.

It's mind boggling.
I think you may be getting Nintendo and Activision mixed up.

Andyliini

If it's true, I hope they do something about Paper Mario combat. PM64 was awful in fighting and character building as well. Also, let me skip the banter, it was horrible having to read all the stupid dialog every time.

cryptoadam

Banned
Paper Mario most likely. I still think we get an Odyssey 2, but Paper Mario could fit in well for a summer release.

Metroid I doubt it. Everyone loves to throw out a metriod rumor. Wether its Prime 4 or Prime collection we always here about Metroid and see nothing.

Top Bottom