• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumoured Music Event Suggests Sonic Adventure Is Making A Comeback

Bullet Club

Rumoured Music Event Suggests Sonic Adventure Is Making A Comeback

Just in time for the 30th anniversary

Next year is the 30th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog. So, what are the plans? For some time now, there's been a theory Sega could be reviving the Dreamcast title Sonic Adventure. Now, in the latest development, there's a rumour Sega Japan is preparing for a Sonic Adventure-themed music event, which is believed to be taking place at the end of this year.

This information was originally shared on the fansite The Super Sonic Zone, which recently received a tip claiming Eizo Sakamoto would be singing 'Open Your Heart' at this particular event. Attached to the email were two MP3 files featuring Sakamoto singing this song, which you can listen to on TSSZ.

In case you didn't know, Sakamoto is the same individual who performed the original version of 'Open Your Heart' when Sonic Adventure was first revealed. The fansite Sonic Stadium reportedly received the same two recordings and an extra one, that's also believed to be real.

In addition to this, the rumoured music event will allegedly feature themed artwork, including one Sonic pose from Sonic Adventure DX with updated computer graphics. When pressed for more information by Sonic Stadium, the tipster claimed musicians from all over the world were collaborating with Sega, including Johnny Gieli and Tee Lopes (who recently remixed 'Welcome to Station Square').

In April last year, Sega also rehired former Sonic Team artist Hiroshi Nishiyama – which apparently suggests all of these other recent developments might be for a big announcement, perhaps linked to a Sonic Adventure remake.

Source: Nintendo Life

Blond

Banned
Good thing this isn't just a potential remaster and sounds like a remake. Sonic nostalgia starts turning into the Sonic Cycle right around the dreamcast games.

Last edited:
Sonic Adventure. There really wasn't a game like it at the time. It may look outdated and clunky here and there nowadays, but some of the stages are still pretty amazing to play through.

NeoGiffer

👇

hqdefault.jpg

👍

stickkidsam

Sonic Adventure getting a remake would be a dream come true for me. However I would want to see either Ryan Drummond or even Jason Griffith return for the role. Ben Schwartz would even be fine if he could pull off the the tude. I just would hope it wouldn't be completely overrun with "ironic" humor.

That stuff is funny here and there but it's overtaken Sonic's entire character in everything but Mania content.

Also music event sounds fuckin sweet. Crush 40 has made some of the greatest buttrock in history.

Lrnex

I gave up hope for an actual Adventure 3 a long time ago. I loved Adventure 1 and 2 and then progressively became more jaded and disheartened with each 3D Sonic game that was released after that.

It was like Sega and Sonic Team were personally guiding me out of youthful wonderment and into cynical adulthood.

MAtgS

It's weird that I still think of the Adventure games as the best core 3D Sonic gameplay. Unpolished as fuck, but the foundation was there.

Miles708

It's weird that I still think of the Adventure games as the best core 3D Sonic gameplay. Unpolished as fuck, but the foundation was there.
Absolutely agree. It's a tragedy the formula has never been iterated on, we're still paying for that.

Mecha Meow

I'd be down with a remake as long as the levels, story, controls, and massive amounts of jank are cleaned up along with the updated graphics.

Also, please add more Amy levels because those were pretty fun with her mechanics IMO.

I finished Sonic Adventure the 2nd day I got my launch Dreamcast and barey touched it outside of replaying some favorite levels. Soul Calibur dominated until I picked up Blue Stinger, MvC, and Toy Commander a month later.

Last edited:

CD'S BAR

Game has not aged well overall but Emerald Coast and Windy Valley are still pure magic. If they remake I say just copy the soundtrack over verbatim.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonic Adventure 1 was such a bad game... if they remake it they better not try to replicate it's god awful controls.

Control wise it felt like it should have been a launch game for the Sega Saturn in late 1994

Paltheos

I'm up for my Sonic Adventure, provided it is actually more Sonic Adventure, and none of that 2D-3D meshed crap Sonic Generations and to my understanding some of the other modern Sonic games pull where they mix in 2D segments in 3D levels. I want the camera behind me all the way as I run so fast my eyes can barely keep up with my feet.

Saber

Gold Member
I feel like it would be terrible choice. Remaking Adventure would be a waste of resources, not to mention it would require a better writer unless people want Forces type of writting. The game also would never meet the expectations (because its Adventure, something fanboys are fast to cry).
Very hard to believe that the current Sonic Team would create this game properly.

Last edited:

Mato

Sometimes I forget that I bought a Dreamcast to play and finish the original SA. I remember nothing about it. I guess that is indicative of how much I enjoyed my time with it.

wvnative

I once read that the US version of Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast had improved controls over the Japanese version, and that the DX version and various remasters of it were using that OG Japanese version as a base.

There any truth to that?

Miles708

I feel like it would be terrible choice. Remaking Adventure would be a waste of resources, not to mention it would require a better writer unless people want Forces type of writting. The game also would never meet the expectations (because its Adventure, something fanboys are fast to cry).
Very hard to believe that the current Sonic Team would create this game properly.

I agree the current Sonic Team would never be able to make a new Adventure-style game, but on the other hand that's exactly the reason why a remake is the best possible way to lift at least some of the work.

Sonic Adventure is, also, the only game where Sonic goes actually on adventure, and not on a race. There where snowboarding sections, climbing sections, clinging-from-giant-stalactites platform sections, hanging-by-the-hands-on-an-horizontal-ladder sections... Sonic made some actual interactions with the world. And I would love to see that again.

Just pump the graphics and fix the collisions, and 60% of the work is done.

Saber

Gold Member
I agree the current Sonic Team would never be able to make a new Adventure-style game, but on the other hand that's exactly the reason why a remake is the best possible way to lift at least some of the work.

Sonic Adventure is, also, the only game where Sonic goes actually on adventure, and not on a race. There where snowboarding sections, climbing sections, clinging-from-giant-stalactites platform sections, hanging-by-the-hands-on-an-horizontal-ladder sections... Sonic made some actual interactions with the world. And I would love to see that again.

Just pump the graphics and fix the collisions, and 60% of the work is done.

And thats exactly why I can't see an Adventure remake. Sega/Sonic Team feels like wanting to take away any possible viable character out of Sonic way in main games. Also, I believe that their strategy is use boost so they don't have much of trouple with level design and lower the costs. Which would mean a game only with Sonic(because him and Shadow seems the only ones they want to boost) or a 90% focused Sonic gameplay with other characters either having very minor gameplays(because boost and Lost World is the only thing I can think they would recycle) or just having mini-games to complement Sonic main spotlight.

Miles708

And thats exactly why I can't see an Adventure remake. Sega/Sonic Team feels like wanting to take away any possible viable character out of Sonic way in main games. Also, I believe that their strategy is use boost so they don't have much of trouple with level design and lower the costs. Which would mean a game only with Sonic(because him and Shadow seems the only ones they want to boost) or a 90% focused Sonic gameplay with other characters either having very minor gameplays(because boost and Lost World is the only thing I can think they would recycle) or just having mini-games to complement Sonic main spotlight.

I think this is largely because Sonic 06 has been a completely traumatic experience for the team, and they're still in "never again!" mode. The best bet to get them to get out of their comfort zone (that's becoming less comfortable with every game) is by a remake, since I agree with you that they just wouldn't make a new adventure on their own.

That means also to make peace with different characters, different gameplay systems, and have some actual level design.

Also, didn't some of the Sakura Wars team join Sonic Team recently, or am I misremembering? Can't keep track of the team changes.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I think this is largely because Sonic 06 has been a completely traumatic experience for the team, and they're still in "never again!" mode. The best bet to get them to get out of their comfort zone (that's becoming less comfortable with every game) is by a remake, since I agree with you that they just wouldn't make a new adventure on their own.

That means also to make peace with different characters, different gameplay systems, and have some actual level design.

Also, didn't some of the Sakura Wars team join Sonic Team recently, or am I misremembering? Can't keep track of the team changes.
Sega CS3 (Valkyria Chronicles) has been absorbed by Sega CS1 (Yakuza) and Sega CS2 (Sonic Team).

Sakura Team is a mix of Sonic Team, Valkyria and old Sakura Team.

Rumour:
Sega CS1 or CS2 members are suspected to working with Atlus on next gen titles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom