• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PlayStation showcase planned for August

Moses85

Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The rumors probably came because of Gamescom and it’s ONL event. I am sure that Sony wants to keep the big announcements for their own shows and the wannabe leaker probably thought they want to have it close to Gamescom. Could be also close to TGS, but we know how much (little) cares about the Japanese market these days…

The rumors probably came because of Gamescom and it’s ONL event. I am sure that Sony wants to keep the big announcements for their own shows and the wannabe leaker probably thought they want to have it close to Gamescom. Could be also close to TGS, but we know how much (little) cares about the Japanese market these days…

_qMjDoVmVow6A-lLy_NRQx1OP5yyoPgZyRy4PlL_AA8.png

I'll care when there are actual next gen exclusive gameplay from the big studios of PS and Xbox.

Everything else can feck off.
Well, there's some already there - Demon's Souls, Returnal, Destruction All-Stars (if you feel like being mean to yourself). It sounds like Rift Apart will be joining the PS4 Ratchet and Clank on the service soon too.

There's others that released since PS5 launched, but also have PS4 versions.

Last edited:
September always made more sense than august and if they opt for God of War Ragnarok having it's own State of Play I could see them pushing it even further.

Skifi28

I was informed just now by an insider that there's going to be a new event within the next 6 months. It will feature both first party as well as third party games and it will have a runtime of more than 5 minutes but less than 2 hours. You heard it here first.

Last edited:
These 'leakers' are full of BS. A clock is always right two times a day.

Anyway expect to see a Showcase event next month.
Yep! I would guess early/mid September. And if it’s the same week Nintendo has a Direct planned, as usual Nintendo will have to push back, since they don’t announce until 36-48 hours before, and Sony gives a week.

Varteras

Gold Member
If it doesn't come from Schreier, Grubb, Henderson, or the Snitch, I don't believe it until I see it. The rest of these guys, Nick included, have either been wrong so many times or said many things a long time ago that have yet to materialize that it boggles my mind they still get articles written about whatever the fuck they decide to spew next. These websites are so desperate for traffic and so out of touch that they say shit like, "Notable insider <insert name here> said...", when if they did any amount of diligence they'd see the only thing notable about them is that moronic glorified video game bloggers still call these frauds 'notable'. Just waiting for the next article discussing notable insider Roberto Serrano.

August never made sense. Sony is going for Disney and Apple time slots in September, they want their brand associated with those two companies.

Not only that but from a marketing standpoint having a big show mid August never made sense, this is the month where everyone is vacationing. You want to market your video game console when everyone is going back to school and are gonna be indoors more with the holidays looming.

Sanepar

I don't know why people expect a SHOWCASE from Sony. They said end of 2021 they will not be making more showcases. Only sop when they are ready to show a game.

Jaybe

August never made sense. Sony is going for Disney and Apple time slots in September, they want their brand associated with those two companies.

Not only that but from a marketing standpoint having a big show mid August never made sense, this is the month where everyone is vacationing. You want to market your video game console when everyone is going back to school and are gonna be indoors more with the holidays looming.
Exactly. It’s either June or September for a big showcase. You want people to see the show and chat about it at school or work to extend world of mouth. July and August are dead months. I actually think Sept beats June and Sony’s realized this going back to their PS4 slim/pro announcement.

vivftp

I think there are 2 patterns that we can observe so far with Sonys schedule - the pre-E3 show and the September show. In 2020 Sony originally scheduled the PS5 showcase for June 5th before delaying it. Then in 2021 they had the Horizon SoP on May 27th (remember that this was dead center in the middle of the pandemic, so all schedules were being disrupted). Then this year in 2022 they had their big third party State of Play on June 2nd. That's a several day window before the normal "E3 season" begins where Sony has held an event 3 years in a row.

For September, in 2020 they had the September showcase on the 16th and in 2021 they had it on the 9th. That's another several day window where they've held an event 2 years in a row. All signs are pointing to another September event this year, so it seems evident that this is a patten Sony will follow going forward with random State of Plays sprinkled around throughout the year.

schaft0620

I'm not sure if this Showcase is going to happen. If Bioshock is at Gamescom I think the next big PS Showcase will be PS VR2 centric. If they are going to launch PS VR2 in March, I would assume pre-orders open in November/December.

Borowski_1

I'm not sure if this Showcase is going to happen. If Bioshock is at Gamescom I think the next big PS Showcase will be PS VR2 centric. If they are going to launch PS VR2 in March, I would assume pre-orders open in November/December.
What about Bioshock? I don't get it

bitbydeath

We probably won’t get a proper PSVR2 event until it’s close to releasing. I’m optimistic that we’ll get the release date in this years showcase though.

Top Bottom