• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR.....Metal Gear Collection coming to PS5

This rumour makes sense.
Give me this (with Twin Snake), then a year later announce the Blue Point remake of the first game.
All part of the La-Li-Lu-Le-COVID.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Are we seriously going to make threads about 4chan rumors now? What has happened to this site? :(
The reason chan sites are usually considered the best place to leak anything is because the information is untraceable, fully anonymous, not a safe space, and not a popular site compared to something like reddit. Due to all of these factors, you can also leak something there that's completely real and STILL have no one believe it to be true until it happens.

ManaByte

The reason chan sites are usually considered the best place to leak anything is because the information is untraceable, fully anonymous, not a safe space, and not a popular site compared to something like reddit. Due to all of these factors, you can also leak something there that's completely real and STILL have no one believe it to be true until it happens.
It’s also filled with LARPers who make up bullshit.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It’s also filled with LARPers who make up bullshit.

AridCriminalHound-size_restricted.gif

SLB1904

Banned
So various rumblings that Sony has reached a deal with Konami to bring the MGS collection to the PS5...

The collection would consist of Twin Snakes (yeah I know not universally acclaimed) MGS-2/3 and what remains a Playstation exclusive to this day: Metal Gear 4!

Notable absentees: Metal Gear 5, and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Twin snakes makes this rumour false

mcjmetroid

No need to say any more. That right there tells me it's not true. Twin Snakes is never, ever, ever going to get a rerelease.
I have to agree here.

There is Nintendo characters in the game,
It's developer no longer exists.
It just comes off as messy and not to mention the game was badly received by fans.

They would also have to just voice act a lot of it again as well because the voice actors are quoting Gamecube buttons.
Not a chance this is happening, at least with Twin Snakes.

RAIDEN1

I mean, if it happened and it was done really well I'd be down AF. I'll always love the MGS series.

Though it's still so sad how MGSV panned out. I remember going in SO reserved as I thought the idea of MGS in an open-world like setting just wouldn't work at all. But my god did it. It worked out SO well! So much so that I think MGSV had some of the best gameplay in the entire series. It's just so sad that the rest of the game was botched. Some high highs, and low lows.

I really wish we could've gotten a complete and solid package. The series deserved a better ending than what it received.
Even the Uncharted games and Shadow of the Tomb Raider has more immersion than MGS 5....I didn't hesitate to trade it in...

Skifi28

Sony or Microsoft. Sony or Microsoft.

And then Nintendo swoops in and grabs both Kojima and the Metal Gear licence. I would laugh hard at that.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Sony or Microsoft. Sony or Microsoft.

And then Nintendo swoops in and grabs both Kojima and the Metal Gear licence. I would laugh hard at that.
And Policenauts 2 comes to the Switch as well, then the Switch would be an instant buy for me...

MiguelItUp

Even the Uncharted games and Shadow of the Tomb Raider has more immersion than MGS 5....I didn't hesitate to trade it in...
Well, I wasn't referring to immersion, but legitimate gameplay and mechanics.

I don't care for the Uncharted series whatsoever, personally. I felt like the new Tomb Raider games had better gameplay over that series through and through. I get Uncharted had these big cinematic experiences, but, eh. At the end it's a game, and that's what I'm there to experience. I think that's why I'm such a mixed bag on Naughty Dog titles.

MGSV excelled in gameplay mechanics IMO. Everything else? I'm sure it could've been better if it was a complete game that had no issues in development whatsoever.

But unfortunately, that's not what we got. I just appreciated some of what was there.

VulcanRaven

I have to agree here.

There is Nintendo characters in the game,
It's developer no longer exists.
It just comes off as messy and not to mention the game was badly received by fans.

They would also have to just voice act a lot of it again as well because the voice actors are quoting Gamecube buttons.
Not a chance this is happening, at least with Twin Snakes.
They can just remove the few Nintendo references and record some new lines.They got the original voice actors back to record new lines for the Xbox 360 version of HD Collection.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I wasn't referring to immersion, but legitimate gameplay and mechanics.

I don't care for the Uncharted series whatsoever, personally. I felt like the new Tomb Raider games had better gameplay over that series through and through. I get Uncharted had these big cinematic experiences, but, eh. At the end it's a game, and that's what I'm there to experience. I think that's why I'm such a mixed bag on Naughty Dog titles.

MGSV excelled in gameplay mechanics IMO. Everything else? I'm sure it could've been better if it was a complete game that had no issues in development whatsoever.

But unfortunately, that's not what we got. I just appreciated some of what was there.
I know exactly where you're coming from, which is why MGSV is an odd case to many. For me it's an A+ game because of it's masterful gameplay. Gameplay that's so good it turned Metal Gear Survive from a D+ game to almost a B+ for me. That's speaks volumes.

It's truly unfortunate the storytelling was sacrificed, but you can't knock it's super refined and open gameplay.

RAIDEN1

I know exactly where you're coming from, which is why MGSV is an odd case to many. For me it's an A+ game because of it's masterful gameplay. Gameplay that's so good it turned Metal Gear Survive from a D+ game to almost a B+ for me. That's speaks volumes.

It's truly unfortunate the storytelling was sacrificed, but you can't knock it's super refined and open gameplay.
But at the cost it came at, no thanks...MGS4 may not have had as much freedom etc...but for me that game matched the hype behind it..

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
But at the cost it came at, no thanks...MGS4 may not have had as much freedom etc...but for me that game matched the hype behind it..
That's the thing though, I honestly don't think one was traded for the other. Kojima simply ran out of time(and Konami wasn't willing to give him more). We all know based on behind the scenes work, leaked concepts, audio, and footage, that there were more acts planned for the game and the way it ended felt clearly rushed.

The gameplay was clearly developed first. You can tell because it was the most polished and refined thing in the game. It should not be blamed for the unfinished story. That's part of the reason I'm more forgiving of this game's story, because it's clear that behind the scenes things were fucked.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiguelItUp

Wholeheartedly agree!

Though the Survive comment made me wince, haha. But I must admit I've never played it, I just never really heard good things about it. However, I do recall people saying if the game WASN'T called Metal Gear, that it would've been more well received, which I completely believe.

I loved MGS4 for what it was, and still do. But IMO, comparing MGS4 to MGSV, especially the gameplay aspects of it, feels like comparing a video game to a movie. Because one had MUCH more gameplay compared to the other, felt much more advanced as well. At least I thought so.

I loved MGS4's gameplay, but I really wish there was more there. But I loved it all, how it buttoned up and everything as well. Even if it felt pretty looney at times, lmao. We just watched more than we played in the long run.

Where as with MGSV, we played more than we watched.

But I also understand that a lot of people didn't like MGSV's gameplay as it was such a broad change compared to the previous games. I felt the same way until I spent so much time with it. I was beyond shocked, surprised, and impressed.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Wholeheartedly agree!

Though the Survive comment made me wince, haha. But I must admit I've never played it, I just never really heard good things about it. However, I do recall people saying if the game WASN'T called Metal Gear, that it would've been more well received, which I completely believe.
By all means, MG Survive isn't a great game. If anything it should be considered a failure, however the fact that the MGSV's gameplay elevated it so much that it turned out to be a half decent game? To me that's insane and I can't say that for many games. It would be like injecting Mario 64 gameplay within a new Bubsy title. You'd be scratching your head in confusion because deep down you'd know it plays damn good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe it's a remake of Twin Snakes
After all, that's what it would be call, right?

SkylineRKR

MGS4 was a standout game for me. It was like the first must have for PS3. And I think the first few Acts delivered. The game felt grand, epic and there was a degree of freedom. Those commercials at the beginning, wtf. I loved it. MGS4 was bat shit insane but isn't that what we want from MGS? MGSV nailed the gameplay, its 10/10, but the craziness, ridiculous cutscenes and anime drama took a backseat. Its less memorable than the other 4 for those reasons.MGS4, with all its dumb shit, was much more charming. I bet a lot of gamers missed the stupidity of past MGS. Though V also gets incredibly stupid with Skull Face later on, but in a wrong and boring way. Its hard to explain. For reference check out the jeep ride.

MGS4 was so beloved, it took a GOTY award here twice. And its probably most port begged game out there if you remember the amount of Xbox fans claiming it would be ported over. Its still sort of a meme. For the record I do think its the worst game out of the first 4. For me its 2, 3, 1, 4.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I am talking the whole thing cutscenes, codec all combined it was great and I haven't regretted trading in my copy of MGS5 ever since...
I'll never understand the codec angle when criticizing V, the game has plenty of content in the tapes.

Watching 3D models moving their mouths is really that big of a deal breaker? Because if it isn't, then V has more than enough in that regard...

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I'll never understand the codec angle when criticizing V, the game has plenty of content in the tapes.

Watching 3D models moving their mouths is really that big of a deal breaker? Because if it isn't, then V has more than enough in that regard...
I mean Metal Gear 5 had the potential to be the modern day Rambo 3, bustling Afghan villages collaborate with local NPCs with cut scenes as and when needed...have that Assassins Creed Origins vibe...but instead it just felt like a barren experience..

Yeah it's weird how people complain about immersion but they want the game to freeze for a 5 minute discussion while you are infilitrating a base. MGSV has you spying on full conversations between weapons dealers and gaining intel in real time. Can't get more immersive than that.

I mean Metal Gear 5 had the potential to be the modern day Rambo 3, bustling Afghan villages collaborate with local NPCs with cut scenes as and when needed
All that is in the game (except the "bustling" villain because IT IS A WARZONE). There is a cutscene after pretty much every single mission. The first mission is you busting out Miller, who was collaborating with the Mujahadeen. You bust into an Afgan village rescue an NPC and are treated to a cutscene.

Also most of Rambo 3 takes place in an empty desert warzone, or in a desert base, not in bustling villages like it's Assassin's Creed. Not sure what you want Snake to do in these villages, guess an international mercenary is going to just help random villagers in between strike missions?

MGSV is incredible and it's sad that people can't see it for what it is but for what they want it to be.

Another complaint I'm tired of is that the game has "No story" despite literally having more cutscenes than any other game outside of MGS4. Which was in the Guiness Book of Records for longest cutscene.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I mean Metal Gear 5 had the potential to be the modern day Rambo 3, bustling Afghan villages collaborate with local NPCs with cut scenes as and when needed...have that Assassins Creed Origins vibe...but instead it just felt like a barren experience..
Metal Gear has always been about solo infiltration and V is set in the middle of Soviet-controlled Afghanistan. Not the frontlines...

YCoCg

Yeah it's weird how people complain about immersion but they want the game to freeze for a 5 minute discussion while you are infilitrating a base. MGSV has you spying on full conversations between weapons dealers and gaining intel in real time. Can't get more immersive than that.
Yes it's unrealistic but that was part of the charm, you could just call people up and get interesting info on characters, weapons, events, etc, whatever. Did we need to hear about the huskies in Alaska that Snake was tending to before MGS1? No, but it added to the characters of Snake and Miller knowing each other. Did we need to hear in-depth history on guns? No, but it certainly was something cool to hear between the action. Did we need to experience a weird glitched AI talking to us as the player in MGS2 at the end? No, but it created one of the best parts of the series.

Saying stuff is available on Tapes is a cop out as people have to go search for that stuff and there's no banter or feedback on them, just a droning one sided conversation as Venom just stands there blankly looking at nothing. Peace Walker had a cool idea of a "modern gameplay" style codec that you could still call whilst being in-game but it was gimp by the low amount of contacts you had and the limited amount of dialogue.

Roni

Gold Member
Saying stuff is available on Tapes is a cop out as people have to go search for that stuff and there's no banter or feedback on them, just a droning one sided conversation as Venom just stands there blankly looking at nothing.
Venom speaks much more in the tapes than in the cutscenes and there's plenty of banter to be had between Snake, Miller, Ocelot, Code Talker, Skull Face and even Zero! They're recordings of conversations... Yes, characters sometimes do go long and have a monologue, but fans of MGS are no strangers to that since the characters already did that in the previous games. Except with real life grainy imagery playing on the screen.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Venom speaks much more in the tapes than in the cutscenes and there's plenty of banter to be had between Snake, Miller, Ocelot, Code Talker, Skull Face and even Zero! They're recordings of conversations... Yes, characters sometimes do go long and have a monologue, but fans of MGS are no strangers to that since the characters already did that in the previous games. Except with real life grainy imagery playing on the screen.
The tapes were boring IMO. It really was a lazy way of getting across the story. At least codex convos had things happen in them and had some interactivity (like the codex going wild via AI in MGS2, or Rose giving Jack random pieces of culture when he saved, or Otacon/Paramedic giving you tips on how to fight a boss, using it to save and contact different people, finding secret frequencies, etc). Cassette tapes will never measure up to the codex.

The worst part is, all the best story tidbits (like Huey and Zero) were hidden in the tapes. Some of those tapes should have had their own dedicated cutscenes.

RAIDEN1

All that is in the game (except the "bustling" villain because IT IS A WARZONE). There is a cutscene after pretty much every single mission. The first mission is you busting out Miller, who was collaborating with the Mujahadeen. You bust into an Afgan village rescue an NPC and are treated to a cutscene.

Also most of Rambo 3 takes place in an empty desert warzone, or in a desert base, not in bustling villages like it's Assassin's Creed. Not sure what you want Snake to do in these villages, guess an international mercenary is going to just help random villagers in between strike missions?

MGSV is incredible and it's sad that people can't see it for what it is but for what they want it to be.

Another complaint I'm tired of is that the game has "No story" despite literally having more cutscenes than any other game outside of MGS4. Which was in the Guiness Book of Records for longest cutscene.
Yeah but like I said for me no regrets, I'd rather go through Mass Effect again than play MGS 5 (again)

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
At least codex convos had things happen in them and had some interactivity (like the codex going wild via AI in MGS2, or Rose giving Jack random pieces of culture when he saved, or Otacon/Paramedic giving you tips on how to fight a boss, using it to save and contact different people, finding secret frequencies, etc).
You can prefer the codec, but saying the tapes don't offer enough content is nonsense.

RAIDEN1

I mean imagine this scene in MGS:5 "Venom Snake" on the horse taking part in this instead of John Rambo, similar background music, it would have been awesome:

Arachnid

You can prefer the codec, but saying the tapes don't offer enough content is nonsense.
When did I say anything about it not having enough content? There were a ton of tapes. I've listened to them all.

I'm saying the codex offered more variety and interaction, and it's a superior way of getting across the info dumps.

Top Bottom