• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR.....Metal Gear Collection coming to PS5

longdi

Banned
it's pretty clear the blupoint MGS1 remake is a go. im not sure the gameplay holds up without significant changes.

imo i dont really like packing the rest as a collection, for what $70? would rather be kept as BC enhanced titles and would prefer the work be done for a new game.

i love MGS but the series is complete. MGS5 tried to extend the life and turned out horribly disappointing

Moonjt9

A6C807DF483521DDDB462DAD2D91C99FF6956FDA
MGS5 had the best memes.

EDMIX

Knowing how much Crack Konami is on....I feel this might be legit. Misses Metal Gear Solid 1 original and uses twin snakes, skips 5.....sounds like a whole Konami fuck up if you ask me.

ManaByte

BRB going to go start a 4Chan rumor that Horizon and Days Gone PC versions are coming to GamePass and then wait for the GAF thread.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Famous leaker 4chan, who is often wrong, but also often right!
Remember when IGN and other outlets ran stories on the 4chan Zelda "leak". It was a sequel to OOT but you were gonna play as someone who convinced themselves they were the Hero of Time but actually weren't. It was a cool idea for a game, but funny see to various outlets run the story regardless of it being fanfiction on the internet.
Videogame journalists are a joke.

TexMex

I’d rather have the original, but I don’t hate Twin Snakes as much as most seem to. The cut scenes are more over the top, often in a bad way I’ll admit, but I think the moment to moment gameplay is better in most areas.

93xfan

Banned
I am absolutely alone in thinking twin snakes was awesome? Have such good memories of that GameCube version. Looked great and had all the MGS2 gameplay improvements. If this is true, it makes me much happier than having the PSX version.

It has a fantastic metacritic score and 8.9 user score. Did the haters really play it? Game was supervised by Kojima itself and Myamoto.

It removed “the best is yet to come” and made a mockery of most of the cut scenes.

Kuranghi

Watch, timed.

Twin Snakes is joke. Silicon Knights didn't understand a basic element element of gameplay.

Yeah thats all trash how it changes the gameplay/boss battles, no arguments here, but I still like the silly cutscenes. I think people just love the original game so much they wanted to see the best moments with better graphics, the way the cutscenes are is how I rose-tintedly remember them from MGS 1. I'd obviously tell someone who expressed interest in MGS to play the original first, then the sequels and only TTS if they thirsted for more after that, telling them the negatives and positives of it.

MGS 1 is in my top 10 games, its formative for me and some of my most cherished memories, but I don't know why TTS is just not offensive to me, I can still play the original game if I want to, they bad work SK did doesn't devalue the old game for me.

I do hope they do a ground up remaster one day so I can see the original vision but tarted up. I don't want them to rerecord the voices again or anything, but I don't mind some small changes, I think art is a product of so many factors at that time that you will never, if ever be able to recreate the magic later on down the line, we've seen some great ground-up remasters this last gen but even those are criticised heavily for some of the changes, like Shadow of the Colossus.

So I just take the best things from what they make and enjoy it, its really a miracle anything gets made in the way the artists want considering the business aspect of gaming. I can get super immersed in something or just enjoy it on a purely surface level. I love The Thing (1982), one of my favourites of all time, but the "sidequel" that was supposed to be faithful and ended up having a lot of the practical work replaced with CGI at the last minute was a big letdown but it didnt affect my love of the 1982 film.

Anyway, rambling, not meant to attack you or say you are wrong, just saying chill out about it. Its still a really good game in isolation, just not a masterpiece, because most new players wouldn't necessarily have the prior knowledge to play out the boss fights in this way. I honestly just didnt think to use FPV or ledge hanging in TTS in the ways shown in the video though, even though I'd already played 2 beforehand, so my opinion is skewed by that.

VulcanRaven

Yeah thats all trash how it changes the gameplay/boss battles, no arguments here, but I still like the silly cutscenes. I think people just love the original game so much they wanted to see the best moments with better graphics, the way the cutscenes are is how I rose-tintedly remember them from MGS 1. I'd obviously tell someone who expressed interest in MGS to play the original first, then the sequels and only TTS if they thirsted for more after that, telling them the negatives and positives of it.

MGS 1 is in my top 10 games, its formative for me and some of my most cherished memories, but I don't know why TTS is just not offensive to me, I can still play the original game if I want to, they bad work SK did doesn't devalue the old game for me.

I do hope they do a ground up remaster one day so I can see the original vision but tarted up. I don't want them to rerecord the voices again or anything, but I don't mind some small changes, I think art is a product of so many factors at that time that you will never, if ever be able to recreate the magic later on down the line, we've seen some great ground-up remasters this last gen but even those are criticised heavily for some of the changes, like Shadow of the Colossus.

So I just take the best things from what they make and enjoy it, its really a miracle anything gets made in the way the artists want considering the business aspect of gaming. I can get super immersed in something or just enjoy it on a purely surface level. I love The Thing (1982), one of my favourites of all time, but the "sidequel" that was supposed to be faithful and ended up having a lot of the practical work replaced with CGI at the last minute was a big letdown but it didnt affect my love of the 1982 film.

Anyway, rambling, not meant to attack you or say you are wrong, just saying chill out about it. Its still a really good game in isolation, just not a masterpiece, because most new players wouldn't necessarily have the prior knowledge to play out the boss fights in this way. I honestly just didnt think to use FPV or ledge hanging in TTS in the ways shown in the video though, even though I'd already played 2 beforehand, so my opinion is skewed by that.
I like TTS but the cutscenes could have been done so much better. Some of the action looks great but Snake does many unnecessary flips and other things. They could have just toned it down a bit. The cutscene after the helicopter fight and this are too ridiculous:

Last edited:
It is funny, everyone says they want a remake of Metal Gear Solid, but you know they would tear that shit limb from limb just like people are still bitching about Twin Snakes. "Why did they change the cutscenes?" Because they remade the entire game???

Kuranghi

I like TTS but the cutscenes could have been done so much better. Some of the action looks great but Snake does many unnecessary flips and other things. They could have just toned it down a bit. The cutscene after the helicopter fight and this is too much:

I'll apologise in advance but thats one of my favourite parts :messenger_tears_of_joy: I am looking for over the top silliness in this game. I think Hideo chose the cutscene director because he liked his silly over the top action in his movies. Its all HK's fault ultimately lol:

I mean... look at that, its just pure, silly nonsense. I think HK wanted TTS to be as schlocky as it was.

SSfox

Watch, timed.

Twin Snakes is joke. Silicon Knights didn't understand a basic element element of gameplay.

I forgot that they changed music of the game and the Raven fight.

To me just because of the art direction that totally dismiss the original this game is pure garbage can, add to it all the others things that are too inferior to the original, simply it speak for itself. I remember back then i had to immediately replay the original MGS1 ps1 to purify my soul after playing that twin snake dog turd.

Interfectum

From REEE:

Hi

Several MGS Remakes.

Silent Hill is still in development but the studio has changed (and I don't wanna disclose the name of the new one for personal reasons).

Castlevania was in discussion but that's all I know.

The only exclusive one would be MGS by Bluepoint, SH is being made by unknown dev and the only ''concrete'' (as in reported by more than one person) info is that Sony has marketing rights, likely timed exclusive as well.
Castlevania is a ? for now, but this initiative by Konami indicates this is a matter of when rather than if.

Last edited:

tommib

It removed “the best is yet to come” and made a mockery of most of the cut scenes.
Cutscenes were originally redone to match the original but Kojima himself asked Silicon Knights for the over the top new direction. Honestly, I think they were great. There was nothing like them at the time.

Interview with Kojima where he explains Twin Snakes has his total approval and people that he trusts were hired for it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It is funny, everyone says they want a remake of Metal Gear Solid, but you know they would tear that shit limb from limb just like people are still bitching about Twin Snakes. "Why did they change the cutscenes?" Because they remade the entire game???
Not if they do it properly.

VulcanRaven

I'll apologise in advance but thats one of my favourite parts :messenger_tears_of_joy: I am looking for over the top silliness in this game. I think Hideo chose the cutscene director because he liked his silly over the top action in his movies. Its all HK's fault ultimately lol:

I mean... look at that, its just pure, silly nonsense. I think HK wanted TTS to be as schlocky as it was.

That looked interesting. I need that movie now. :D Also Godzilla: Final Wars that was directed by him.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
With limited backwards compatibility its the best you can hope for I guess. Won't please the only want new games crowd though.

I don't understand these games.

Crawling through the jungle. Phase shifting alien soldiers in the desert. Some flaming horseriding guy. Helicopters. Oil platforms.
It's all over the place and it confuses me.

Kuranghi

Not if they do it properly.

The problem is though there is so little there to work with in terms of faces that they will have to extrapolate tons of detail from nothing, so some people are bound to not like it by the law of averages. They can't just copy how he looks in 2 or 4 (young facecamo obv) because they will want to create their own work and not just copy others.

Plus even if they would just remake everything 1:1 exactly, you can't just take a model made for different rendering styles/HW and fit it into a new engine/rendering style without changing things, like with the Ass Creed 3 and Batman Arkham Asylum remaster they added updated lighting and even though its the same models it looks crap/weird now.

I don't know if you can do it properly, is there a remake outside REmake that is as universally praised? Maybe Demon's Souls will come to be as revered but its too new. Its just really hard to do it because there are so many factors involved, like how the render has changed between engines, that they aren't nearly as constrained by the SW/HW as they were in the past.

Kuranghi

I don't understand these games.

Crawling through the jungle. Phase shifting alien soldiers in the desert. Some flaming horseriding guy. Helicopters. Oil platforms.
It's all over the place and it confuses me.

Most of these things are from 5 though, have you tried the original, 2 and 3? Its still all "over the place" in terms of it being science-fantasy, but just not as much lol.

MAtgS

Doesn't Nintendo like own the code to TTS? It wouldn't even be legally possible to port the game anywhere but Switch.

93xfan

Banned
Cutscenes were originally redone to match the original but Kojima himself asked Silicon Knights for the over the top new direction. Honestly, I think they were great. There was nothing like them at the time.

Interview with Kojima where he explains Twin Snakes has his total approval and people that he trusts were hired for it.

Didn’t convince me. The original was over the top enough, but in a fun way. And you felt Snake was in over his head.

In Twin Snakes, Snake is Superman, and can time his jumps to kick off a moving missile being shot at him, all while get his rocket launcher ready before even landing on his feet again. Or backflipping onto a sniper rifle to pop it up in the air, catch it, do a 360 degree turn and land his shot. The only thing missing was a cape.

Most of these things are from 5 though, have you tried the original, 2 and 3? Its still all "over the place" in terms of it being science-fantasy, but just not as much lol.
I bought the collection on ps3 (I think that's 2,3,4) and I got two of them on ps+ (ps4). 2 is on the ship, right?
It's just not clear to me what I'm supposed to do. Crawl around or something.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The problem is though there is so little there to work with in terms of faces that they will have to extrapolate tons of detail from nothing, so some people are bound to not like it by the law of averages. They can't just copy how he looks in 2 or 4 (young facecamo obv) because they will want to create their own work and not just copy others.

Plus even if they would just remake everything 1:1 exactly, you can't just take a model made for different rendering styles/HW and fit it into a new engine/rendering style without changing things, like with the Ass Creed 3 and Batman Arkham Asylum remaster they added updated lighting and even though its the same models it looks crap/weird now.

I don't know if you can do it properly, is there a remake outside REmake that is as universally praised? Maybe Demon's Souls will come to be as revered but its too new. Its just really hard to do it because there are so many factors involved, like how the render has changed between engines, that they aren't nearly as constrained by the SW/HW as they were in the past.
FF7 Remake and SotC comes to mind.

VulcanRaven

I bought the collection on ps3 (I think that's 2,3,4) and I got two of them on ps+ (ps4). 2 is on the ship, right?
Yeah they are stealth games but there is action too. The games have great stories. I recommend starting with MGS1 but MGS3 works too because its a prequel.

Last edited:

Arachnid

It's about a spy and his clone uncovering and dealing with large scale conspiracies as you follow them both to the end of their tragic lives. You just stealth around as you do that while having the occasional sci-fi boss battle (almost everything is explained through some scientific/technological marvel). That is the entire story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom