• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Final Fantasy 8 & 9 Remakes in the works

Virex

Banned
If there is a Final Fantasy that deserves a remake it would have to be Final Fantasy VI. It's a masterpiece

Os1b5MV.jpg

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Don't believe it for a second, bjt I'd welcome a chance play an expanded version of Evil Forest.

And they had bettee find a way to keep the save point moogles.

base

Banned
They are early in the development? Buhahahha, and what about FF7 Remake? Its 1st episode isn't even released and they are few more to go so it's also "early in the development".

I'm still waiting for the remaster of VI in the IV PSP engine, upgrade to 4k. It would be glorious, especially if they decide to rebuilt the game as it was intented to be on Super Famicom CD. It's so sad there is no modern option to play the game, same for V (i could not stand more than 2 hours on the mobile version).

B_Boss

8 is my all time favorite (6 is RIGHT behind it)....remakes cannot end until 6 & 8 are remade....period lol.

BONKERS

If they are going to completely change the game into an entirely new thing that only has minor elements and the story carrying over , break it up into 4 parts, bloated out to make a 40-50 hour game a 100-150 hours total sold at 60$ each then don't bother.
I don't want a new game with the story of the original slapped on. It's sad enough what has happened to FFVIIR (Sorry the "Turn based battles aren't realistic" argument doesn't hold up at all. They could've easily made a FFXIII style turn based battle system so people aren't just standing in place doing nothing). I can't wait to see how they turn the introduction of the overworld in Disc 2 into some bland open world fetch quest walking simulator.

Make a REAL "HD Remaster" instead of the insulting low quality ports (That can't even get basic stuff like music looping right without a patch) you keep making instead.
Or at the very least put the money and effort to make a real HD remaster to release along side your Not-Remake so people have an option of playing the original game with better visuals. Instead of your only choices being super low res 240p images upscaled and blurry contrasted high res rendered 3D models. And a reboot that is so different that it's not even the same game anymore.

Loved everything about 8 apart from Squall's personality and Rinoa just generally.

If they could give us a remake with both dialogue options and choice of which of the 3 female party members (hell, throw in Zell and Irvine as options too while they're at it) alongside a graphical fresh coat of paint, and it'd be perfect.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Probably BS but I’d love it. I think those games would really be amazing remade. I think VI is a better game than both of them but I think SNES games are better than PS1 games because of the graphical format, PS1 games terribly. I’m fine with VI the way it is.

bigol

It's fake but if it was real i can understand FF VII remake, but VIII and IX so soon after not even finishing the entire VII remake? No, please.

What about that little project called FF XVI? New things please, stop remaking and remastering.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
And when are we getting them? 30 years from now?😂😂

Not going to get hyped because fuck SE although 9 is my all time favourite

ROMhack

Don't see this happening. FF8 wouldn't fly in the present day what with its ass backwards awful story.

FF9 is a greater possibility.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
While I'd love to play through 8 and 9 again, I'd more rather see 6 get the remake treatment first. I missed it, somehow, when it released during the SNES's golden age and have never completed an entire playthrough after three attempts via ports. I'd love to experience it from start to finish (finally) with a fresh coat of paint.

Somoza

I hope they are not doing that. This could be a "bite off more than you can chew" situation. Just look how they struggled with just 7's remake. Just finish the full 7 remake and its chapters, THEN remake 8.

9 is my favourite tho but it doesnt need a remake that badly as it is.

EDIT: I hate the junction system in 8 so i hope they somehow get rid of that or streamline it.

Last edited:

Tevious

I like Final Fantasy IX but I'm not interested in the game being remade. The original is perfectly fine to me anyway.

On PC it's fine because of the Moguri mod, but they should really at least remaster the game officially with remade background art and textures.

Vawn

Banned
There's no way they could be planning to do remakes on the scale of VII. Hell, they have many years to finish VII.

Nymphae

Banned
I will go apeshit if they redo 8 the same way they are doing 7, not holding my breath, but man I want that bad. I enjoyed 9 but I don't have any attachment to it really, I don't enjoy revisiting it much.

Fbh

Yeah I don't think so.
FF7 remake is releasing almost 5 years after announcement and it's the first part of what I imagine will at least be 3.

When can we expect Part 1 of FF9 Remake? March of 2059?

I only take women for secret admirers, I'm letting you know now... :cautious:

Don't flatter yourself, lol.

Can they just remake 4 and 6 please?
Id love to see 4,6, 8, 9 remade

5 needs more respect. (4 already got one, though it was on limited 3d hardware.)

On PC it's fine because of the Moguri mod, but they should really at least remaster the game officially with remade background art and textures.

9 needs to have those nigh impossible completionist tasks made a little more possible (i. e. Excalibur II). Not to mention the battle load times.

Wouldn't mind a better remake of FF3. And if 2d, not one with horrid mobile/RPGMaker art.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
FF5 really needs some love ...FF6 is good but FF5 has been almost forgotten about ITS THE BEST FF GAME PERIOD (Ask Japan)

Also why remake garbage? (FF8)

Myths

Remakes in the works? Where’s my FFV remake in the style of the DS? Do I have to do it myself?

Dis

100.000% this is going to happen.
XVI can be a new thing

Meanwhile remake the shit out of everything

EDMIX

100.000% this is going to happen.
XVI can be a new thing

Meanwhile remake the shit out of everything

Agreed. Thats why I'm ok if they just get CyberConnect to remake them and have their core FF team making XVI.

semi OT, but I'm not even sure how much of that FFXV core team is even working on FFVII remake. Would love if anyone has an idea of that.

I see something listed as Business division 1 for FFVII remake and the team that did FFXV is called Business Division 2.

So likely we might see them have it split, like 1 makes those remakes, another makes the current FF.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Dis

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Agreed. Thats why I'm ok if they just get CyberConnect to remake them and have their core FF team making XVI.

semi OT, but I'm not even sure how much of that FFXV core team is even working on FFVII remake. Would love if anyone has an idea of that.

I see something listed as Business division 1 for FFVII remake and the team that did FFXV is called Business Division 2.

So likely we might see them have it split, like 1 makes those remakes, another makes the current FF.
Why would you want CyberConnect making them? Supposedly their work wasn't up to par on the FFVII remake which is why it has taken so damn long

ExpandKong

Banned
Starting production on two more remakes before they’ve even released the first part of one remake sounds both ridiculous and like exactly what SE would do.

Dis

Yes! CyberConnect is banger
The Naruto games on ps3 fulfilled my anime need for an ending better then studio pierrot.

Also dot hack first games where awesome. Too bad they didnt get remastered.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Or.....more reasonable thing to do is finish all episodes of FFVIIRemake before thinking about other projects.

I'm still waiting for the remaster of VI in the IV PSP engine, upgrade to 4k. It would be glorious, especially if they decide to rebuilt the game as it was intented to be on Super Famicom CD. It's so sad there is no modern option to play the game, same for V (i could not stand more than 2 hours on the mobile version).
Yeah I want III (2D), V and VI in PSP IV-style (could also reuse PSP I&II assets).

If Square doesn't do it some hobby devs should do those remakes secretly and just release them all at once.
I'd donate generously to them!

EDMIX

Or.....more reasonable thing to do is finish all episodes of FFVIIRemake before thinking about other projects.

Well...not really. Because its a remake, lots of things don't actually need to be done again and they have multiple teams. Even FFVII remake was started by a completely different team then the one even currently doing it right now.

So they can have Cyberconnect start FFVIII if they wanted to.

Top Bottom