• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Final Fantasy 8 & 9 Remakes in the works

Lrnex

If they could remake 8’s broken ass battle system I’d love to dive back into that world. I enjoyed the more romantic and militaristic themes, the soundtrack and really the whole experience in general. Just the battle system was so baffling terrible.

Lrnex

I loved it and the grind, personally.
I didn’t really mind it the first time through, but whenever I tried to revisit the game it was always just a big impediment for me. It’s still one of my favorite entries despite that. And that soundtrack! Best in the series and super underrated.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't believe this. Remaking FF7 is a huge undertaking... plus they haven't even finished it yet. Plus, hopefully we get a ff16 next gen. I don't see how they have the resources...

Ellery

Naaaaah no way. No way.

I mean I would prefer if they just remade all Final Fantasy games instead of releasing the rubbish they have been the last 10-15 years.

Maybe. MAYBE if FF7 Remake is super successful they will consider remaking other FF games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
EH, here's a novel idea. How about 5 and 6? We skipped over those in the remake train.

if this counts as a remake...

IMG_2081.jpg

I didn’t really mind it the first time through, but whenever I tried to revisit the game it was always just a big impediment for me. It’s still one of my favorite entries despite that. And that soundtrack! Best in the series and super underrated.
It's one of my all time favorite games! Even with the chore of Drawing at specific points of the game, it's still beautiful.

Fantastic, 8 was my favourite since it was my first entry in the series.
After 9 I have not completed any subsequent FFs. Give me that emo Squall in PS5 graphics!

Pallas

Gold Member
I’d love for it to happen but I feel like we are getting ahead of ourselves and as someone else said, we need a V and VI remake at some point. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

IMG_2081.jpg

That's all it deserves tbh. But don't be salty, I believe that's true for all the other FF, after 7 there's no more need for them, they should focus on XVI and subsequent games.

1. MISCELLANEOUS
Any chance of remakes and/or new entries for Gex, Parasite Eve, or Legacy of Kain?

Yo I forgot about Gex, but I wouldn't mind a new game from that series with the resurgence of platformers lately.

Metnut

This sounds like BS. If FF7 remake does really well, then they’ll focus on parts 2 and 3 of the FF7 remake.

I don’t think FF8 was nearly as popular as FF7 and FF9 has aged the best out of the PSX trilogy.

FF6 would be most logical remake candidate but seems a long way off with the rest is the FF7 remake and maybe an FF16 very likely to come first.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would just rather have new things.

But if they remake them, that's exciting I guess. I like both VIII and IX a lot more than VII, so I'm sure they'd be great.

Leprech

I dont believe it... my uneducated prediction is next gen will be FF7R 3 parts and a new FF numbered.
Still FF9 artstyle in AAA remake could be something truly amazing...

mango drank

Popularity of the original releases:
FF7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FF8 >> FF9

I'm enjoying the recent FF8 Remaster, but seeing as how SE put barely any effort into this, I don't see how they'd want to put the time and money into remaking the game completely. Plus, getting all episodes of FF7 Remake out is going to take them like 6-8 years, so how are they going to fit in remakes for both FF8 and FF9?

I wouldn't complain (they'd both be so awesome), but I don't see it happening.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'd rather see some new games. Unless they have lost the ability to make a good, new FF game.

I hope the new TR games make some adjustments. I'd rather see more puzzles, big levels and less automated platforming.

IMG_2081.jpg

What is this abomination?

Last edited:
It's just going to be another multi-part remake like Final Fantasy VII. Probably with more action-orientated battles, updated costumes etc.

I like Final Fantasy IX but I'm not interested in the game being remade. The original is perfectly fine to me anyway.

Fret Runner

I’d be happy to see ff8 be turned into one of their cgi flicks or just a revisit to that world like what Advent Children was for ff7 (but better than AC hopefully)

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks. As much as I'd like a FF9 remake I'd hate how much Squeenix would fuck it up and just make it a reskinned Kingdom Hearts. Not to mention I'm not paying 240 bucks for all 4 "episodes".

Too good to be true, but it's nice to think that just maybe the strong reception to the RE2 remake is having an effect on people and this really is on the table.

Right now FF8 and FF9 with the visuals of the upcoming FF7 sounds amazing, but once squennix finds a way to screw up FF7 I'm sure I'll lose my enthusiasm.

I love FF8, way more than most do, and way more than FF9. And FF6 is the best so I hope one day we get that one too. I think an FF6 remake, if done well would be one of the greatest games ever created.

You seem to be obsessed yourself lol. I would have responded the same regardless.

Ever since I owned you, you been following me around. Salty much?

EDIT: Just to further prove this point, you also didn't need to quote me to say "V deserves it too.".

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Christ, are we ever getting FF XVI?

I hope this is not true just because I'd much rather have entirely NEW stories and worlds to explore. The more Square Enix invests in nostalgia, the less I like this series going forward.

KiNeMz

Banned
early in development? Cxould mean anything right? Could of been a pitch in future projects meeting. Now considered early in development. Maybe its confirmed its considered.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Fuck off.

VIII is the pleb filter and IX is the magnum opus of Sakaguchi's that represents everything the franchise has accumulated up to at that point. Neither need to be touched. Just keep milking VII for all its worth so you can get the money and go like a Kickstarter cash grab. 😏

I probably won't be alive by the time FF VIII Remake is released let alone IX.

BTW isn't VII Remake going to be released in episodes/chapters/whatever? So the VII Remake were getting is only "part 1" so far or did that change and we're getting the full game?

Ever since I owned you, you been following me around. Salty much?

EDIT: Just to further prove this point, you also didn't need to quote me to say "V deserves it too.".

Classic IknowyouarebutwhatamI?

I saw you playing defensive in that other thread. Didn't interact, just watched.

Bkdk

Great news! Hopefully 6 get remake first before 8 though. I do agree that remaking past FFs with more side content, dungeons and probably some extra branching of storylines and extra endings the best way to go for the series. FF16 is simply too risky now and wouldn’t mind it skip the whole next gen for more remakes. Just can’t think of any new setting they could go that can top the past FF titles.

Virex

Banned
If they could remake 8’s broken ass battle system I’d love to dive back into that world. I enjoyed the more romantic and militaristic themes, the soundtrack and really the whole experience in general. Just the battle system was so baffling terrible.
Nothing broken about the junction system.

Top Bottom