• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part II may get a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

TVexperto

It will be like the Uncharted 4 remaster. 120 fps 1080p version. 60 fps native 1440p version. and 30 fps native 4k version. Uncapped with VRR. Plus, fast loading times.

I really dont expect them to touch any visual features. If they didnt bother adding the pre-downgraded graphics, animations and character models from TLOU2's E3 2018 trailer into a PS5 only $70 remake like TLOU part 1, they sure as hell arent going to do it for a $10 patch.

the_last_of_us_part_2-5.jpg

EbL5OlnXkAEFNzu
not sure what you mean by downgraded? looked incredible on ps4 pro when i played it

So is Naught Dog currently working on TLOU PS5, TLOU 2 Multiplayer, and TLOU 3? wow.
And Guerrilla is working on Horizon VR, Horizon 2 DLC, Horizon multiplayer and Horizon 3.

Santa Monica works on a new God of War and Sucker Punch on the sequel to Ghost of Tsushima.

Sony: “That last game made money, right? Good, make another one of those. And be sure not to change too much!”

Andodalf

Banned
And Guerrilla is working on Horizon VR, Horizon 2 DLC, Horizon multiplayer and Horizon 3.

Santa Monica works on a new God of War and Sucker Punch on the sequel to Ghost of Tsushima.

Sony: “That last game made money, right? Good, make another one of those. And be sure not to change too much!”
and movies / Tv shows all around

fart town usa

Gold Member
Seems boring enough to be true.

It's largely what Sony does these days, just rehash the same game and keep selling variations of it. Granted, there's no shortage of other studios doing the same but man, just so underwhelming for me considering these games are even that old.

Happy for those who are excited over this potentially happening.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seems boring enough to be true.

It's largely what Sony does these days, just rehash the same game and keep selling variations of it. Granted, there's no shortage of other studios doing the same but man, just so underwhelming for me considering these games are even that old.

Happy for those who are excited over this potentially happening.

This post is why I hate that Jim Ryan doesn't allow his 1st party teams to talk about any games they are working on.

TVexperto

Those screenshots are from the predowngraded version. the NPC character models, and the motion matching animations were downgraded as well as some lighting.
oh i didnt know that, did they ever adress that? i hate when companies do that...reminds me of the watch dogs 1 downgrade

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Watch it still run at 1440p
If they do what they did with Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, it will have a 1440p 60 fps mode that should run around 90-100 fps with VRR, and a native 4k 30 fps version that runs around 40-50 fps.

TLOU2 pushes the graphics way harder than Uncharted 4 so it might not get to 100 or 50 fps, but it should definitely have multiple modes.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If they do what they did with Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, it will have a 1440p 60 fps mode that should run around 90-100 fps with VRR, and a native 4k 30 fps version that runs around 40-50 fps.

TLOU2 pushes the graphics way harder than Uncharted 4 so it might not get to 100 or 50 fps, but it should definitely have multiple modes.
I’m replaying the legacy of thieves collection right now in 60fps performance mode and it looks simply amazing in motion.

Say what you want about Naughty Dog, but they make downright gorgeous games. That Madagascar level driving about the jeep! So good.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This post is why I hate that Jim Ryan doesn't allow his 1st party teams to talk about any games they are working on.
Is it that far off the mark though? Maybe I'm missing something that Sony 1st parties are working on?

Outside of Sucker Punch (GOT) and Housemarque (Returnal). We got Insomniac with more Spiderman games, SSM working on more GOW, ND with more TLOU, Guerilla with more Horizon.

It is what it is, the games sell but Sony seems intent on making melodramas that all kind of feel the same. It's that AAA cinematic style game, the equivalent of binging a season long show over the course of a weekend. But that's kind of the norm in a lot of ways with modern AAA, I don't think Sony is exclusive in that approach.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Waste of resources imo. Game is already out and with the 60fps patch and load time improvements it’s good enough.

Sony needs to kick naughty dog in the head and get them going. They released Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us with multiplayer in the PS3 gen. Two new IP’s then and PS4 nothing new, less output, and now 2 years into this gen they re-re-released TLOU1… impressive.

2013 - TLOU (launch year)
2016 - UC4
2017 - UC Lost Legacy
2020 - TLOU Pt. 2 (launch year)
2022 - TLOU Pt. 1 (Remake)
2023 - Factions 2

The problem is ND usually launches their biggest games near the end of the gen.

Let’s give them some time I guess lol

We don’t know what SSM is working on yet. Cory Barlog is working on a new IP, that’s well known now with Eric taking the reins of GOW.

SlimySnake

I’m replaying the legacy of thieves collection right now in 60fps performance mode and it looks simply amazing in motion.

Say what you want about Naughty Dog, but they make downright gorgeous games. That Madagascar level driving about the jeep! So good.
Played it in the native 4k mode. that Madagascar level runs around 45-55 fps with VRR on. Absolutely gorgeous and super smooth. At launch before VRR, it was capped at 30 fps. ND was leaving so much extra performance on the table.

TBH, I was surprised to see TLOU remake struggle to hit 35 fps in its native despite the much smaller levels. I know TLOU Part 2 looks much better than Uncharted, but TLOU remake features a lot of very small environments. It shouldnt be performing this bad in native 4k. It will be interesting to see if they are able to do better with TLOU2's native PS5 port.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is it that far off the mark though? Maybe I'm missing something that Sony 1st parties are working on?

Outside of Sucker Punch (GOT) and Housemarque (Returnal). We got Insomniac with more Spiderman games, SSM working on more GOW, ND with more TLOU, Guerilla with more Horizon.

It is what it is, the games sell but Sony seems intent on making melodramas that all kind of feel the same. It's that AAA cinematic style game, the equivalent of binging a season long show over the course of a weekend. But that's kind of the norm in a lot of ways with modern AAA, I don't think Sony is exclusive in that approach.

The bolded isn't true at all. But we actually don't know if Guerilla is working on a Horizon 3 or a new IP. We don't know if SSM's next game will be GOW.

Aaron Olive

Played it in the native 4k mode. that Madagascar level runs around 45-55 fps with VRR on. Absolutely gorgeous and super smooth. At launch before VRR, it was capped at 30 fps. ND was leaving so much extra performance on the table.

TBH, I was surprised to see TLOU remake struggle to hit 35 fps in its native despite the much smaller levels. I know TLOU Part 2 looks much better than Uncharted, but TLOU remake features a lot of very small environments. It shouldnt be performing this bad in native 4k. It will be interesting to see if they are able to do better with TLOU2's native PS5 port.
Rushed out port

SlimySnake

ND on Ps3: Hey guy we've got 2 whole new IP's for you
ND on ps4: Ok no new IP this time but a bunch of sequels
ND on Ps5: TLOU...but like TLOU you already played
Maybe they shouldnt have forced out Amy Henning after all. Had Neil and Bruce gone straight to making TLOU2 after shipping TLOU1 instead of fucking around with Amy's sequel, who knows maybe Amy wouldve had a new IP ready by 2022.

That whole episode just straight up destroyed ND's future plans. TLOU2 delayed by years. Bruce burned out and eventually left. Justin Richmond the director of Uncharted 3 left after Amy's firing. Evan Wells just did an interview last year saying how they still struggle juggling multiple projects, and im like you guys had the system down ten years ago! They shipped Uncharted 2 in 2009, gave Neil and Bruce a new team to prep TLOU while Amy and Justin shipped Uncharted 3 in 2011. Then less than two years later, Neil and bruce shipped TLOU by summer 2013. Give Amy and Justin the full production team and they wouldve had Uncharted 4 out by summer 2015 then TLOU 2017 or 2018 then new IP four years later.

But no Neil had to go fuck with Amy's game and screw everything up. Now Neil is the president of the studio, but is too busy making TV shows while his entire studio sits on their ass fucking around with Sony Bend's Uncharted spin off, VSG studios' TLOU remake, GaaS stuff and PS5 ports.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So they took a TLOU 2 video down like 6 months ago.. and this is causing a new rumor about TLOU 2 PS5 remaster?

lol

This forums complete lack of care for the actual veracity of rumors continues to be a bit of a joke.

Kokoloko85

Please patch out all the walking sections with Abby. Especially the fucking Aquarium sections. There are THREE flashbacks set in the Acquarium that completely kill the pacing.

I mostly stick with encounter select because the combat is sublime but the loading times are almost a minute long. Uncharted 4's encounter select literally loads in a second. Would be amazing to get it. Will gladly pay $10 to fund Jimbo's cocaine addiction.

I didnt have any issues, what was wrong with the 3 flashbacks?

Top Bottom