• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC to join

I keep hearing rumors that it's mostly for leverage with Fox Sports. If this were to happen though, I think crazy things could happen.

trikster40

I definitely think there’s something there. Writing has been on the wall for the Big 12 since several teams left years ago.

Going to be interesting how they restructure the SEC If this happens. Do Alabama and Auburn move to the East, and while they’re at it, how about moving Missouri to the west where they are geographically located and maybe move ole Miss or Miss St over to the east.

Raven117

LOL. When I saw this thread title I was wondering what does Texas have to do with the Securities and Exchange Commission?
Lol. Those Longhorns love insider trading!

There is a whole lot of politics that goes with this. It used to be the case that OU couldn’t go anywhere without osu (as mandated by the state). Texas (the state) won’t want Baylor. Tech, Tcu just twisting on the wind either.

Then there is the issue of getting I think 3/4 of the sec schools to vote for the expansion. Obviously Texas ATM will vote no…and actively lobby against it. Other schools with similar past dealings with Texas may vote no as well.

That said, money talks…. But does the sec want the baggage Texas will bring and shift the power structure? I don’t know.

This may be a long game for Texas to go PAC 10. That’s where they want to go. That’s where they think they belong culturally. SEC for the money. Kind of a win win.

regardless, realignment is coming one way or another now.

Last edited:
This doesn't even fucking make sense. Which one of them is gonna be "SEC East"? Either one will be west of Mississippi.

Stay in your own lame conference. We don't need or want ya.

They would have to go to pods if this happened. No way we have 16 members with our scheduling 8 games a year in conference. Even adding an extra conference game wouldn't do that much.

This is probably just a feeler to see if any other conferences bite and offer them membership. Apparently, Fox isn't renewing the big 12 conference TV package(so I've heard).

You only need 4 no votes to squash it. Mizzou, ATM and Arky would surely vote no. Only need one more conference member to follow.

That's not including the 800 lb gorilla that is the other Texas schools and OK state. Would be a battle in the state legislatures to allow the flagship schools leaving behind their little cousins/brothers.

Last edited:

Raven117

They would have to go to pods if this happened. No way we have 16 members with our scheduling 8 games a year in conference. Even adding an extra conference game wouldn't do that much.

This is probably just a feeler to see if any other conferences bite and offer them membership. Apparently, Fox isn't renewing the big 12 conference TV package(so I've heard).

You only need 4 no votes to squash it. Mizzou, ATM and Arky would surely vote no. Only need one more conference member to follow.

That's not including the 800 lb gorilla that is the other Texas schools and OK state. Would be a battle in the state legislators to allow the flagship schools leaving behind their little cousins/brothers.
You think Arky is a no? I know Mizzou is a no.

It just seems like a HUGE risk for the SEC to upset the traditional power structure of the SEC for $$$. Its alot of money $$$, but a whole lot of bull shit to go along with it.

LordCBH

I definitely think there’s something there. Writing has been on the wall for the Big 12 since several teams left years ago.

Going to be interesting how they restructure the SEC If this happens. Do Alabama and Auburn move to the East, and while they’re at it, how about moving Missouri to the west where they are geographically located and maybe move ole Miss or Miss St over to the east.

I’m in favor of 4 regional pods with 4 teams each.

I mean if the Big 12 dissolves who would you rather go to the conference with more sexual assault scandals than championships in the last 50 years, the conference with games at 3 am, the premier basketball conference, or the SEC.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As an Aggie, we will fight this to the bitter end. We are a no vote for sure.

Also, Texas cant really leave Baylor or Tech behind, and Oklahoma cannot leave Okie State behind. State legislatures will get into this. Dont think it will happen.

Raven117

Also, Texas cant really leave Baylor or Tech behind, and Oklahoma cannot leave Okie State behind. State legislatures will get into this. Dont think it will happen.
We shall see Croat. I do think the legislatures get involved. It was one thing for the Ags to skirt out back in 2012...it was a one off. The rest of the smaller schools were safe under the shadow of Texas and OU. Now, it will effectively kill Tech, Baylor, and OSU. Thats a much bigger deal. But that said....NIL and college football is changing in a huge way right now. The haves and the have nots are about truly come into focus. Can't blame Texas and OU for wanting in on the SEC....and they both can lobby the legislatures that holding them back will only make everyone weaker.

Then there is the issue of whether the SEC votes to let them in. This is where I'm most surprised. With the addition of the Ags and Mizzou, the old guard power structures remained in tact...mostly because both the Ags and Mizzou play nice with others. Texas...let's say it. Texas is a behemoth, and will significantly alter the power structures of the SEC overtime. Some idiots in the SEC think its just about wins and losses. It isnt. There isn't another school in the SEC (except for a distant Texas A&M) that has the power and influence that Texas has....and they know and do use it. It would fundamentally change the SEC. But...it will bring in the sweet sweet cash.

A lot is going to happen over the next few weeks that is for sure.

You think Arky is a no? I know Mizzou is a no.

It just seems like a HUGE risk for the SEC to upset the traditional power structure of the SEC for $$$. Its alot of money $$$, but a whole lot of bull shit to go along with it.

Hard to tell with Arky, but I would think it would be no. Although, it's been 30 years and they might want the rivalry back.

Hell, it could be 14-0 yes for all we know. There's no telling how much money Disney is waiving right now for this. Texas to the SEC gets them out of the LHN.

Just found this video. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Raven117

Hard to tell with Arky, but I would think it would be no. Although, it's been 30 years and they might want the rivalry back.

Hell, it could be 14-0 yes for all we know. There's no telling how much money Disney is waiving right now for this. Texas to the SEC gets them out of the LHN.

Just found this video. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Those guys are spot on and with such a quick turnaround!

I know the rest of the SEC is looking for the dollar signs and the power it would bring to the conference….. but man….. they do now know what kind of devil they are letting in. Texas will absolutely change the identity of the SEC. they just don’t know it yet.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
SEC needs to drop Mizzou, but I would not want to add Texas and Oklahoma.
Why drop Mizzou? Mizzou has had a solid football team (won two SEC East titles since they have been there) and the basketball team has been solid and getting better. If you want to drop a team drop Vanderbilt. They don't fit in with the others. Missouri is a state school. Vandy isn't.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Why drop Mizzou? Mizzou has had a solid football team (won two SEC East titles since they have been there) and the basketball team has been solid and getting better. If you want to drop a team drop Vanderbilt. They don't fit in with the others. Missouri is a state school. Vandy isn't.
Candy is there to help the GPA if the rest of the conference up.

Two reasons Vandy won't be dropped:

1: They're a legacy school. Bylaws state you can't kick out original members.

2: Private school means you can ignore FOIA for conference communications.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Two reasons Vandy won't be dropped:

1: They're a legacy school. Bylaws state you can't kick out original members.

2: Private school means you can ignore FOIA for conference communications.
I didn't mean Vandy should be dropped but I think Mizzou is a better fit if one should be dropped.

I didn't mean Vandy should be dropped but I think Mizzou is a better fit if one should be dropped.

Nobody should be dropped. Mizzou has done pretty well in football for the most part, sans Odom. Y'all screwed the pooch in shooty hoops tho. That's what we mainly brought ya in for. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Well that and markets, of course.

Back on topic: There are some pretty wild rumors going on right now. Not gonna post due to click-baity stuff.

Yeah, man...this is just a kick start to the nuclear arms race that is starting in college athletics.

You're gonna see more chess moves soon. The goal is to break away from the NCAA. The SCOTUS NIL ruling just put that into motion. Can see at least 64 teams breaking off. Our own basketball and football playoffs. For a school like UK? This increases our bargaining power. Finally, the playoff system(with full media backing meaning more money) that caters to us in shooty hoops as well as football. The UK's, UNC's and other basketball schools finna eat as well.

Last edited:

Raven117

You're gonna see more chess moves soon. The goal is to break away from the NCAA. The SCOTUS NIL ruling just put that into motion. Can see at least 64 teams breaking off. Our own basketball and football playoffs. For a school like UK? This increases our bargaining power. Finally, the playoff system(with full media backing meaning more money) that caters to us in shooty hoops as well as football. The UK's, UNC's and other basketball schools finna eat as well.
Oh yeah...The SEC will absolutely be in a position to break away from the NCAA with the addition of Texas and OU. When it comes to "valuable franchises" the SEC will be about double what every other conference is...including the Big 10.

Hell, all of this probably ends with the Big 10 taking some of the ACC schools (and Notre Dame), SEC taking some of the other ACC schools.... and creating two power conferences. (maybe three). The rest....will just be cute little games that also happen on Saturday.

The only question is what happens to the PAC schools that have any size (like USC).

Oh yeah...The SEC will absolutely be in a position to break away from the NCAA with the addition of Texas and OU. When it comes to "valuable franchises" the SEC will be about double what every other conference is...including the Big 10.

Hell, all of this probably ends with the Big 10 taking some of the ACC schools (and Notre Dame), SEC taking some of the other ACC schools.... and creating two power conferences. (maybe three). The rest....will just be cute little games that also happen on Saturday.

The only question is what happens to the PAC schools that have any size (like USC).

It wont be just the SEC. The BIG 10* is now likely to expand as are the PAC and ACC. Once these 4 super conferences get it all together, we're gone.

Pretty sure the ACC has rights of first refusal on ND and I don't see them refusing. So ND to BIG 10* is pretty much a non-starter. Guessing WVU comes as well for the Pitt and VT rivals. If UL can get in with their academics, then WVU shouldn't have any problem.

The PAC is probably looking at Texas Tech, OSU and maybe KSU. Would Boise State round off the 4 teams? Don't see Baylor and TCU due to political reasons. Mainly being religion schools. The PAC will expand to try to avoid the inevitable.

The BIG 10* would probably look at Kansas and ISU.

With that many BIG 12* teams gone, their GOR would be broken. TCU and Baylor left to rot on the vine.

Maybe as early as 2022 season start to see the shake up in conferences. 2023 for break off.

Last edited:

Raven117

It wont be just the SEC. The BIG 10* is now likely to expand as are the PAC and ACC. Once these 4 super conferences get it all together, we're gone.

Pretty sure the ACC has rights of first refusal on ND and I don't see them refusing. So ND to BIG 10* is pretty much a non-starter. Guessing WVU comes as well for the Pitt and VT rivals. If UL can get in with their academics, then WVU shouldn't have any problem.

The PAC is probably looking at Texas Tech, OSU and maybe KSU. Would Boise State round off the 4 teams? Don't see Baylor and TCU due to political reasons. Mainly being religion schools. The PAC will expand to try to avoid the inevitable.

The BIG 10* would probably look at Kansas and ISU.

With that many BIG 12* teams gone, their GOR would be broken. TCU and Baylor left to rot on the vine.

Maybe as early as 2022 season start to see the shake up in conferences. 2023 for break off.
We are of the same mind… but yeah… it heads this way in some form or fashion.

Lol. Those Longhorns love insider trading!

There is a whole lot of politics that goes with this. It used to be the case that OU couldn’t go anywhere without osu (as mandated by the state). Texas (the state) won’t want Baylor. Tech, Tcu just twisting on the wind either.

Then there is the issue of getting I think 3/4 of the sec schools to vote for the expansion. Obviously Texas ATM will vote no…and actively lobby against it. Other schools with similar past dealings with Texas may vote no as well.

That said, money talks…. But does the sec want the baggage Texas will bring and shift the power structure? I don’t know.

This may be a long game for Texas to go PAC 10. That’s where they want to go. That’s where they think they belong culturally. SEC for the money. Kind of a win win.

regardless, realignment is coming one way or another now.
What the fuck? Why would Texas go to the PAC-12?

As an Aggie, you can't do crap. It's gonna happen and Texas A&M will lose the one thing it had going for it - being the only Texas team in the SEC.

But, worse, you now have to see us, Oklahoma more often. I can't wait to hear Mike Lupica and A&M fans crying about how those mean ol' Sooners run up the score on you.

Boomer Sooner. You tried to run and hide from these two schools, but your days are numbered.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
From a purely football perspective Oklahoma had it made in the Big 12. They're still getting top recruiting classes, ruled with an iron fist, and with the 12 team playoff possibly coming they're practically guaranteed to get in every year unless they just completely shit the bed.

But yeah, I totally get theres a lot more to this decision. It'll lead to a bunch of sick matchups thats for sure... im actually excited if it happens.

Im curious how they split up the divisions though if it does happen. They both go West? Who gets sent East?

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As an Aggie, you can't do crap. It's gonna happen and Texas A&M will lose the one thing it had going for it - being the only Texas team in the SEC.

But, worse, you now have to see us, Oklahoma more often. I can't wait to hear Mike Lupica and A&M fans crying about how those mean ol' Sooners run up the score on you.

Boomer Sooner. You tried to run and hide from these two schools, but your days are numbered.
Ah Sooner fans... No need to be so hostile. That cotton bowl ass whooping was almost a decade ago.

The good news for OU is that after getting obliterated by an SEC schedule yall wont have to worry about getting embarrassed yet again in the playoffs!

Ah Sooner fans... No need to be so hostile. That cotton bowl ass whooping was almost a decade ago.

The good news for OU is that after getting obliterated by an SEC schedule yall wont have to worry about getting embarrassed yet again in the playoffs!
Who is your team? How many playoff appearances have they had? How many conference championships did you have since 2000? How about Heisman trophies?

Boomer Sooner

77-0 - Welcome back to the schedule A&M.

The whining from A&M fans has gotten me to do something I never thought I'd do. Cheer for Texas. I hope they embarrass them every year again now that A&M has lost their only recruiting advantage. I'm pretty confident they will and A&M will soon be back to where they were in the Big 12 - on the same level as Texas Tech.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Who is your team? How many playoff appearances have they had? How many conference championships did you have since 2000? How about Heisman trophies?

Boomer Sooner

77-0 - Welcome back to the schedule A&M.

The whining from A&M fans has gotten me to do something I never thought I'd do. Cheer for Texas. I hope they embarrass them every year again now that A&M has lost their only recruiting advantage. I'm pretty confident they will and A&M will soon be back to where they were in the Big 12 - on the same level as Texas Tech.
You are something else bro. We'll see how it goes when yall get in.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I guess they both figured out that this is the only likely path to the CFP.

I wish they'd bring back the Southwest conference, though..:messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:
Top Bottom