• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

Truespeed said:
There are a couple of reasons, but the most obvious one is CPU requirements for Android 3.0. I'm actually surprised that you would even suggest this, because not only is the MIPS CPU in the PSP not smartphone worthy it's not even remotely fast enough for a Gingerbread class device or power efficient for that matter.
The gingerbread requirements were never confirmed. Nor do I see why they wood be true for something that is supposed to be mostly a user interface upgrade.

Truespeed

zoku88 said:
The gingerbread requirements were never confirmed. Nor do I see why they wood be true for something that is supposed to be mostly a user interface upgrade.

Who do you expect to confirm the rumors? Google? Here's what the consensus is

Minimum Android 3.0 hardware requirements:

1GHz CPU
512MB RAM
3.5-inch (or larger) displays
New 1280×760 resolution (Devices with displays of 4-inch or more)

These are the *minimum* specs. The new high end Android 3.0 phones will all have significantly higher CPU specs with some as high as 1.5 - 2GHz CPU's. Also, Android 2.1 and 2.2 will be relegated to the low to medium range smartphone lines, while 3.0 is intended for the high end phones only.

zoku88

Truespeed said:
Who do you expect to confirm the rumors? Google? Here's what the consensus is

Minimum Android 3.0 hardware requirements:

1GHz CPU
512MB RAM
3.5-inch (or larger) displays
New 1280×760 resolution (Devices with displays of 4-inch or more)

These are the *minimum* specs. The new high end Android 3.0 phones will all have significantly higher CPU specs with some as high as 1.5 - 2GHz CPU's. Also, Android 2.1 and 2.2 will be relegated to the low to medium range smartphone lines, while 3.0 is intended for the high end phones only.
Consensus of people who don't really matter. Everyone with that opinion is going off of the same rumor and just extrapolating from it.

Why you would need such beefy specs for an user interface upgrade is beyond me. just as why everyone believes this rumor.

Truespeed

zoku88 said:
Consensus of people who don't really matter. Everyone with that opinion is going off of the same rumor and just extrapolating from it.

Why you would need such beefy specs for an user interface upgrade is beyond me. just as why everyone believes this rumor.

Probably because it's more than just a UI update. Do you really think Google would increment the version number of their Android O/S from 2.2 to 3.0 if it was just a user interface upgrade? That's a pretty big jump for a UI update. So it's clear that 3.0 is a pretty significant upgrade.

zoku88

Truespeed said:
Probably because it's more than just a UI update. Do you really think Google would increment the version number of their Android O/S from 2.2 to 3.0 if it was just a user interface upgrade? That's a pretty big jump for a UI update. So it's clear that 3.0 is a pretty significant upgrade.
Nevertheless, it's just not a very smart idea. If it really needs those specs, then the power usage would also be higher.

Not only that, but the previous versions also had the same minimum specifications.

There's also the fact that there is nothing to give the rumor any credence.

Truespeed

zoku88 said:
Nevertheless, it's just not a very smart idea. If it really needs those specs, then the power usage would also be higher.

Not only that, but the previous versions also had the same minimum specifications.

There's also the fact that there is nothing to give the rumor any credence.

There's really no point in arguing about rumors. I guess we'll just have to wait until Gingerbread is released later this year and see how it plays out. Phones get faster with every major Android release so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that the 3.0 phones will be faster and better than the 2.1/2.2 versions.

Raistlin

zoku88 said:

Because Gingerbread is more than a user interface upgrade? Or should I say, the apps they are planning to run on it require a fair amount of power.

There is a keeping up with the benjamens situation in the phone industry. Those specs are in line with iPhone 4 and the minimum spec required for Win7. Google is pushing forward with this spec to prevent fracturing of the userbase. They want all Gingerbread phones to be able to match the competition.

zoku88

Raistlin said:
Because Gingerbread is more than a user interface upgrade? Or should I say, the apps they are planning to run on it require a fair amount of power.

There is a keeping up with the benjamens situation in the phone industry. Those specs are in line with iPhone 4 and the minimum spec required for Win7. Google is pushing forward with this spec to prevent fracturing of the userbase. They want all Gingerbread phones to be able to match the competition.
They are actually more than the either of those. Windows phone 7 requires an arm v7 cortex or better. the original droid has that.

iOS 4 runs on the 3gs. Gingerbread would have the highest system requirements. Not even running on a phone released a year earlier.

btw, it was google themselves that said that the focus on gingerbread would be user interface.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Truespeed said:
because not only is the MIPS CPU in the PSP not smartphone worthy
Define smartphone worthy? Until about a year ago none of the smartphones had CPUs that were stronger anyway (and most were quite a bit weaker).

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
While the hardware of the original PSP has nowhere near the efficiency, specialization, nor ability to isolate power consumption for the set of required use cases which include imaging, video decode and encode, audio decode and encode, as well as running in combination the multitude of radios/basebands/receivers as a modern smartphone, MIPS has recently started offering competitive cores for the mobile market and is making them compatible to be integrated with PowerVR cores in a SoC.

With Sony's proprietary system information, a MIPS CPU, and some HLE, running PS1, PSP, and PS2 wouldn't take the most powerful SGX, let alone a potential SGX543MP4+ GPU clocked at 400+ MHz.

Baki

My take on this rumour:

Android 3.0 will support Playstation Network (mini's, PSN games and PSP 2 games). To take advantage of this, you would need to meet certain requirements.

Sony will also license out the Playstation name (requiring an approval process). This will be limited to perhaps only mentioning that the Phone is Playstation compatible on the box. Sony will receive royalty fees for this.

Sony itself will produce a line of Playstation phones and these phones (unlike other handset makers) will be compatible with current generation PSP games. These PSP games will be sold for $9.99.

Finally Sony will have a non-phone version of this product and this will be the PSP 2.

wsippel

Banned
Lazy8s said:
Also, ARM isn't a necessity for PSP2; MIPS can be competitive and has already been paired with PowerVR.
I believe the latest MIPS Android reference platform doesn't use a PowerVR GPU, though. It uses a DMP GPU, just like the 3DS. SMAPH-S, as far as I know. OpenGL|ES 2, no Maestro unit.

Truespeed

Fafalada said:
Define smartphone worthy? Until about a year ago none of the smartphones had CPUs that were stronger anyway (and most were quite a bit weaker).

For Gingerbread, a minimum 1GHz. Also, I'm not really sure where you're going, but there were quite a few smartphone CPU's that were significantly faster than the PSP CPU a year ago. The 1GHz Snapdragon comes to mind - introduced in Q4 of 2008 and into a phone by July, 2009.

Baki

So did ENgadget talk about possible reveal dates? Because GamesCom has gone by without an announcement. :/

Lucis

actually... this rumor is true, however the story does not go that way.

it might not be a phone, it might not even be branded playstation.

sony is making it, and it's using android though, but it's more like a google platform than sony platform

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/20/sonys-playstation-division-looking-for-engineers-with-android-d/

pt9Za.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Curious.

But I think it's possibly more for someone to work on, perhaps, an Android app that maybe connects to PSN or something?

The job seems to be for a server engineer. The mix of other requirements sort of suggests someone who'll work on network stuff, and maybe they're thinking of making mobile apps that talk to their network. It's not a game development post.

gofreak said:
Curious.

But I think it's possibly more for someone to work on, perhaps, an Android app that maybe connects to PSN or something?

The job seems to be for a server engineer. The mix of other requirements sort of suggests someone who'll work on network stuff, and maybe they're thinking of making mobile apps that talk to their network. It's not a game development post.

The post isn't the smoking gun but it does say that they'll be helping game teams with development which is something I don't see as being so important for a standalone "access your PSN account on the go" app. Who knows.

Either way SE only makes GSM phones and I'm on Verizon so that's disappointing to me.

KingJ2002 said:
feels like n-gage all over again.

:lol Oh N-Gage, what an odd creature you were.

The iPhone has shown mobile gaming is legitimate in the USA now and Microsoft is betting on it with WP7 as well. If ever there was a time for a gaming phone it's now.

for a Sony phone with PSP-ish features/integration and that sort of thing? awesome.

android for a product in the PSP family? terrible idea. anything android get's cracked open, dissected, and it's genome mapped out before it's even in pre-release reviewers hands. i can't imagine the facepalming and scrambling that would be done at Sony HQ when they realized just what the fuck they did and how they basically made hacking exponentially easier.

now what were you guys saying about that PSN android app? :D

Dear Sony,

Please stop diluting your brand -_- Android is awful, just hire UI and UX experts and do your own thing. Integrate their services if you must, but don't become Google's bitch.

Sincerely,

Ridley182

neptunes

If Sony were to release a PSPhone, i don't think it'll take the place of PSP2, They will both will end up co-existing.
This has SONY (not SCEI) written all over it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ridley182 said:
Dear Sony,

Please stop diluting your brand -_- Android is awful, just hire UI and UX experts and do your own thing. Integrate their services if you must, but don't become Google's bitch.

Sincerely,

Ridley182

What? No, it isn't.

ridley182 said:
Dear Sony,

Sincerely,

Ridley182

why is android awful?

Can't find the link right now, but there was an interview with Peter Dille recently where he said that their plan is to keep Playstation experiences "exclusive and proprietary".

That doesn't necessarily rule out a PSP2 with a customized version of Android though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ridley182 said:
Android is awful

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol No.

Android is probably one of the better OS/services in the mobile division right now.

VAIL

ridley182 said:
Dear Sony,

Sincerely,

Ridley182

ridley182
aka Dumbass

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh.

Anyways, the future of Playstation Portable should be very interesting, I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds. Personally, I can't say that I'm interested in a Sony handheld/phone hybrid (I already have a phone) but either way it should lead to a lot of fun threads on GAF.
If I'm really jealous of the PSP phone I'll just duct tape my handheld of choice to my cellphone for similar effect.

Azure J

ridley182 said:
Dear Sony,

Sincerely,

Ridley182

Dear Ridley,

Antoine-Dodson-Dumb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom