• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony coming up with 6 inch, Full HD Android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony coming up with 6 inch Android phone

By Nilabh Jha, The Mobile Indian, New Delhi, October 23, 2012
Category: Mobile

The latest from rumor mill is a 6 inch HD screen totting Sony Yuga smartphone sporting a 13 MP camera & Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core processor.

Sony might up the ante with what could be the largest smartphone till date - a 6 inch screen totting Sony Yuga with some really mouth watering specs like 13 megapixel camera with Exmor RS CMOS sensor and f/2.4 aperture, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and 2 GB RAM.
According to sites like Android Authority, this smartphone with model name C660X currently is being tested with Android 4.1.1. However, given that the device will be launched only by early next year, chances are that it will sport Android 4.2 at the time of launch.

But does a 6 inch device really qualify as a smartphone. The current biggest phone is the 5.5 inch screen bearing Samsung Galaxy Note II. Given that the Note (first version) came with a 5.3 inch screen and was called a Phablet (Tablet+Phone), this one from Sony might be more of a tablet than a phone.
The pricing and availability details of the purported Sony Yuga smartphone are not available.
Sony apparently also has a 5 inch screen device called Odin C650X. Keep checking The Mobile Indian for more information about it.
http://www.themobileindian.com/news/8989_Sony-coming-up-with-6-inch-Android-phone

Sony Yuga spotted in another benchmark, rumored spec sheet is now (almost) complete

by Adrian Diaconescu on Nov 06, 2012

Sony-Yuga.jpg

Although it is still hard to believe that Sony will unveil the rumored Odin and Yuga super-phones earlier than next year’s CES, the duo continues to be in the spotlight with an endless string of leaks.

For some reason, the smaller Odin seemed to garner more attention these past few weeks, so the 6-inch Yuga is now back with a vengeance, having an almost full spec sheet confirmed following a bunch of benchmark results.

And what a spec sheet it is, with a full HD 1794 x 1080 pix res display, a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 quad-core CPU, 2 GB of RAM, an Adreno 320 GPU, 32 GB of on-board storage, and a microSD slot. As expected, there are a number of controversies involving Yuga’s features too, starting with the on-board OS.

One of the first benchmarks leaked showed the beast running Android 4.2, while this latest one lists the Yuga with Android 4.1. It’s difficult to say which of the two variants is more likely, although it’s obvious what we’d prefer.

Then again, if the Yuga is to be released three or four months from now, it is very possible that not even Sony knows for sure what version of Android the handheld will be equipped with, so let’s just wait it out. The camera and battery are a couple of other uncertain details.

The rear-facing shooter was initially leaked with a 13 MP sensor, but is now thought to come with 16 MP, while the battery’s capacity could range anywhere from 2,500 mAh to 2,800. As for the actual Nenamark 2 test result leaked (59.90), we can only say that it is pretty impressive, but not surprising. After all, we already knew that S4 Pro + 2 gigs of RAM + Adreno 320 = a whole lot of speed.

Can we already call the Sony Yuga one of next year’s most exciting new phones? Or should we take the more prudent approach and just wait and see?
http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-yuga-benchmark-spec-sheet-leaked-128841/

Mario007

But what's the price and how well will it be supported?

Sony supports their phones quite well. They're the only manufacturer who has pretty much given ICS to all its devices from 2012 and 2011 (except for the PLAY). They take a while to get the updates rolling, which is a bit of an issue, but that's about it.

Expect pricing around 600 euro off-contract for Odin and maybe 700 for Yuga, though it wouldn't surprise me to see the Yuga being 600 as well, but announced maybe 3-4 months after Odin, following Samsung's moves.

I'd also expect virtually no bezel on these phones.

Lastly, bear in mind people, these are the first phone that Sony themselves have designed. Pretty much all of this year's models were still designed under the SE partnership.

Busty

Banned
It seems every week there is a new Sony mobile being rumoured and/or leaked.

What happened to all that talk of a simplified range of phones?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, we're just about there. Phones and tablets are finally meeting in the middle.

KillGore

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and IMO it's the largest I can go, unless sony finds a way to make an extremely tiny bezel.

gcubed

6" is too big for a phone... for me.

I think the Note is way too big for a phone as well, but that thing sells like hotcakes

There is no need for a phone to be that size. 5 inches should be the maximum any phone ever is. Isn't the Wii U controller 6 inches? Holy shit.

For me to be even remotely intrested in switching from Apple to a new brand of phone, the phone has to be so awesome and look so different from what todays phones look like.

I cant care enough for the phones that are out today, they all sort of look the same. exept that Nokia phone in all those colours, but I dont like that look.

First the phone has to be ultra thin, we are talking half the thickness of an iphone 5.
ultra cool features, super awesome camera and video quality, app store quality shop.

ElFly

Let's just go for a 7" screen phone, just without the stupid bezel around it, and we'd be good.

e: Yuga is kind of a terrible name, though.

How big is the Galaxy Note?
Galaxy Note: 146.85 mm (5.781 in) H - 82.95 mm (3.266 in) W - 9.65 mm (0.380 in) D
Galaxy Note II: 151.1 mm (5.95 in) H - 80.5 mm (3.17 in) W - 9.4 mm (0.37 in) D

There is no need for a phone to be that size. 5 inches should be the maximum any phone ever is. Isn't the Wii U controller 6 inches? Holy shit.
Not everyone need the same things.
I meant in terms of ridiculousness:

[/QUOTE]
Any phone will look ridiculous if you make that kind of face.

[quote="ElFly, post: 44035179"]Let's just go for a 7" screen phone, just without the stupid bezel around it, and we'd be good.

e: Yuga is kind of a terrible name, though.[/QUOTE]
Not as terrible as Xperia Play.

Zaph

Who uses their phone to talk anymore?
The vast majority of people. Don't let the echo chamber tell you otherwise.

For me to be even remotely intrested in switching from Apple to a new brand of phone, the phone has to be so awesome and look so different from what todays phones look like.

I cant care enough for the phones that are out today, they all sort of look the same. exept that Nokia phone in all those colours, but I dont like that look.

First the phone has to be ultra thin, we are talking half the thickness of an iphone 5.
ultra cool features, super awesome camera and video quality, app store quality shop.
Yup, whenever upgrade time comes around, I end up browsing phone news for about half a day then just say "Why?" and buy the latest iPhone. It will take something seriously disruptive to change that habit.
Any phone will look ridiculous if you make that kind of face.
Or if you're using a tablet as a smartphone...

mclaren777

I'm not interested in big/fancy phones.

I just want something like the N4 that I can buy off contract for $100-150.

Takao

Banned
Let's just go for a 7" screen phone, just without the stupid bezel around it, and we'd be good.

e: Yuga is kind of a terrible name, though.

It's probably just a codename. Sony's naming conventions are Xperia (random letter).

slider

I assume you mean screen size

note1: 5.3
note2: 5.5

I guessed he didn't (only cos that info is in the OP). But without any further info on the rumoured Sony...

Don't suppose you or anyone happens to know the physical size of the two Notes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom