• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Season Round 2: Is Bluepoint's game Demon's Souls?

Is Bluepoint's next game Demon's Souls?

• Of course it is Demon's Souls. Take it to the bank.

• Lol, no. They're absolutely NOT remaking Demon's Souls.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vawn

Banned
So Bluepoint has been teasing and hyping up the announcement of their new game to the point of being annoying.

Well, we will likely hear what it is at an early June PS5 software showcase.

There have been a ton of rumors about what the game is, but the most common guess seems to ge Demon's Souls.

220px-Demon%27s_Souls_Cover.jpg

I personally hope it is Demon's Souls. It is one of my favorite games ever made. It is responsible for starting the Souls-like phenomenon. But it could use a facelift and a chance to bring the servers back online.

Sadly, I'd take the field if I was going to put money on this. But, I REALLY hope to be wrong.

What does everyone else think? Again, no being wishy-washy here.

1.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just don’t want it to be DS. There’s so many amazing games that haven’t aged nearly as well, that could use the love that Bluepoint put into Shadow, or the crazy amount of effort they’ve been hyping here.

DS... seems in roughly good shape. I feel like that’s a great candidate for a traditional remaster, with 4K resolution, new textures, etc., not this.

saintjules

Bluepoint mentioned how their next project is the achievement they're most proud of. I don't know if Demon's Souls would be something of that level. I could be wrong.

“We originally remastered Shadow of the Colossus for the PS3 and then remade it for the PS4,” Thrush told SegmentNext. “It’s the only one we’ve touched twice and to date it is our greatest achievement, so it’s easy to say that is our personal favorite. However, there’s no question in our minds that our current project will become the achievement we’re most proud of.”

Last edited:

Yoda

Honest question, i haven't played Demon's Soul, why do people want a remake of it? What's so different of Dark Souls that an eventual DS4 wouldn't suffice?

If you don't want to watch the video (I highly encourage you do), I'd basically sum it up as: expectations of the player. Most of what people attribute to Dark Souls is really originated in Demon Souls (at least w/FROM's influences on the "souls-like" genre) and even by the time Dark Souls had came around, the franchise had been slightly tweaked to be more palatable for the masses.

Honest question, i haven't played Demon's Soul, why do people want a remake of it? What's so different of Dark Souls that an eventual DS4 wouldn't suffice?

Some of us want to go back and revisit where it all started. Trying to recapture Demon's Souls is going to be near impossible because there was so much more to the game than its difficulty. The entire game itself almost never made it to production, with the help of Sony and then later very obsessive niche fans of From in general as well as an even more niche group of people before Git Gud was a thing flocked to this game because of its difficult but fair playstyle.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If its "remake" that they want to improve the gameplay then I rather FROM themselves do the remake rather than Bluepoint, but if its just visuals similar to SotC then I don't mind.

iorek21

People are taking this Demon Souls idea for granted.

It could be DS, but I'm beginning to think that it'll be something... bombastic.

I do believe that a DS remake will eventually come out though

bender

What time is it?
People are taking this Demon Souls idea for granted.

It could be DS, but I'm beginning to think that it'll be something... bombastic.

I do believe that a DS remake will eventually come out though

I think Demon Souls would be bombastic, especially after how well Dark Souls and Bloodborne performed. I'd give better than a coin flip odds that this is what they are working on but maybe that's my tunnel vision of wanting it to happen. I also struggle to think what else it could be.

Arachnid

I don't know how much I trust them with a re-imagining of Demon Souls, but I'd prefer that over Jak and Daxter or LoK.

That said, I'm still praying for Silent Hill or Metal Gear. I doubt it's either, but a man can hope.

DavidGzz

For me to be really excited, it would need to be more of a remake than a remaster but I also have little faith that they can remake it and make it faithful without From software. I hope I am wrong cause it would be THE reason to get PS5 at launch

bender

What time is it?
I don't know how much I trust them with a re-imagining of Demon Souls, but I'd prefer that over Jak and Daxter or LoK.

That said, I'm still praying for Silent Hill or Metal Gear. I doubt it's either, but a man can hope.

I'd say it's too soon for Metal Gear since we have quality ports on the X360/PS4 but that's easily countered with SOTC and that's before discussing MGS (outside of Twin Snakes) and MGS4. Still feels a little too on the nose for their next project.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I think it's Legacy of Souls Reaver; the legacy of kain double trilogy in a Souls skin

Even if it were Legacy of Kain, doing both trilogies would be way too much work. I don't believe that rumor just because of the limited appeal of the series.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. No way Bluepoint is working on Jak AND Legacy of Kain plus the rumors of Demon's Souls Remake have been around for about two years. This other rumor, a week or two? I'll stick with it being Demon's Souls Remake.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s been rumored for so long that I’m actually starting to lose interest.

The RSPS3 that can run the game at 4K/60 fps could scratch that itch for me.

Another vote for the no category.

Everybody knows they are drafting the return of the rightful heir to Sony's throne: Jumping Flash. Shoot me in the face with an oversized arrow if I'm wrong.

jumping-flash-cover.cover_large.jpg

All the reliable insiders are saying it is. Although I can't for the life of me understand why it even needs to exist. Just make it BC with an uprez and 60fps....

There are way more interesting and stagnant IPs in the Sony vault than this one. I mean every game is a soulsborne these days, right? Whats the fucking point of going back to this well. Its a waste of effort.

Legacy of Kain remake would be fresher but I'll take Demon Souls as well no problem. Just have to wonder what sort of combat tweaks we'll get with the game or if it's going to be a vanilla rip off - which I much prefer it wasn't.

Digity

Jak and Daxter over Demon's Souls?

🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
Jak And Daxter over Demon's Souls 100%.

All the reliable insiders are saying it is. Although I can't for the life of me understand why it even needs to exist. Just make it BC with an uprez and 60fps....

There are way more interesting and stagnant IPs in the Sony vault than this one. I mean every game is a soulsborne these days, right? Whats the fucking point of going back to this well. Its a waste of effort.

You're right about that.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just shows half the people in this vote just believe what they want to believe.

Despite the job listings, hints and confirmation from Colin Moriarty and Jason Schreier. They would rather believe a randomly posted 4chan leak because they like those games better 😂

engstra

I hope it isn't, personally I don't feel like DS is a game that is screaming out for a complete remake. Also with what Bluepoint has said regarding their next project, being their most ambitious and completely remaking the world, it sounds like it's a much older game from the ps1 era or something. I really hope it's Silent Hill or Soul Reaver could be very interesting.

That being said I would totally buy DS if it was that. Just played the ps4 SotC recently and it blew me away, so I have complete trust in Bluepoint.

slade

That Bluepoint would want to remake Demon Souls never made sense to me. Either they are very confident or somebody literally put a gun to the CEO's head. They should know that if they touch the gameplay and are off by even a little, the fans would crucify them for messing with one of their holy cows.

OTOH, all of their teasing is strange if it is just a remaster. I'm of the opinion that it probably isn't Demon Souls but good luck to them if it is.

cormack12

Gold Member
I really don't see the point, except to make it an exclusive on the PS5 that surfs the 'Souls name and capitalise on its poor marketing/publishing. And why would you push a game with < 2 million copies in a decade as an exclusive this much? The argument can be made that a lot of people not in the know might think it's a new souls title for PS5 so it's a bit of a ploy. Plus I don't think you can really 're-imagine' Demon's Souls. You can introduce some QoL improvements like Estus, movement etc. but it's not something that you can be too radical with given how formulaic the series is.

Sony has admitted it made a big mistake deciding not to publish cult RPG hit Demon's Souls in the US and Europe.

When GameInformer suggested it was among the platform holder's biggest mis-steps this generation, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida replied, "Absolutely! Tell me about it! 100% agree!"

Jak makes sense as it hits that demograph for PS5 and ND already have a working relationship with a healthy level of trust.
Legacy of Kain also makes sense as they've lost GoW as the hack and slash title with the new direction. Though making the combat more like LoS or DaS is also palatable.

I'm voting no.

It's the game I most want them to make, but there's all kinds of issues with it being a Second Party exclusive that would create barriers , and I'm not sure it would sell well enough to justify the development time that must have gone into it at this point.

sublimit

Banned
It better be with all the hype they were building up for one year now as well as with Jason Schrier keep saying that it is.

If it's not Demon's Souls then we should ban Schrier IMO. At least personally i will never take him seriously ever again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom