• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ryzen 5900X to feature boost up to 5Ghz (400mhz improvment from 3900X), up to 20% more IPC

martino

5 ghz 20 ipc %
5ba33a52f20d049d2ff5e70465e5650a.gif

(plz be true)

The Skull

Hyped to see this. As a very happy 3700x owner, I can't see myself ever going back to intel. I just hope AMD don't rest on their laurels and get caught out like intel did.

Stuart360

Meh, had my 2700X proffesionally overclock to a stable 4.3ghz, and i only play at 60fps, so my 2700X will probably last me the next 10 years lol, with the way it laughs at 'cpu demanding' games at 60fps.

Stuart360

...."professionally overclocked".. lmao wtf. Please dont tell me you paid someone to overclock your processor.
When i ordered my 2700x and new mobo, i had the option to have it done proffesiaonally with a 3 year warranty. As i lost my job a little bofore, i thought it was worth it as i wouldnt be able to replace a new cpu for the time being.
I have overclocked cpu's for the last 20 years, but due to the warranty, i thought it was worth it under my circumstances.
Plus i have always been Intel, this is my first AMD cpu.

Axonometri

Competition is Always a good thing. As a consumer, you do not want one mega company dominating with no other entity challenging them.

TheContact

Ryzen knocking it out of the park. I still have a 6th gen i7 that is running great though. The only time I wish I had an upgrade is when I transcode videos, but I usually just step away and do something else anyway.

Ellery

If it sounds too good to be true -> you can guess the rest.

Same happened with the Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 launch. A few weeks before the launch all those "5GHZ, lots better than 9900K in gaming" rumors made the rounds.
In the end nothing of it was true. Zen 2 was great, but not as great as people hyped it up to be (that was basically impossible) and now people expect 400mhz more + 20% IPC gain. That would result in like close to 30% more performance than what the current 3700X/3800XT/3900X have.

I will keep my expectations low. 100MHZ more and 10% IPC.
200MHZ and 15% IPC might be the best case scenario with AMD completely obliterating Intel.

Last edited:

SantaC

If it sounds too good to be true -> you can guess the rest.

Same happened with the Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 launch. A few weeks before the launch all those "5GHZ, lots better than 9900K in gaming" rumors made the rounds.
In the end nothing of it was true. Zen 2 was great, but not as great as people hyped it up to be (that was basically impossible) and now people expect 400mhz more + 20% IPC gain. That would result in like close to 30% more performance than what the current 3700X/3800XT/3900X have.

I will keep my expectations low. 100MHZ more and 10% IPC.
200MHZ and 15% IPC might be the best case scenario with AMD completely obliterating Intel.
Actually it does say up to 20%. It never say that it will be 20%.
15 is more realistic

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Holding off building a new PC for Zen 3 has been rough

My X5675 OC isn't enough for 2021

The 12-core engineering sample was 4.9Ghz already, so yes 5Ghz boost is coming, and yes it will destroy Intel in all metrics aside from...AVX workloads.

PSlayer

That would be incredible but i will keep my hopes down 'cause a 400mhz boost in the same die size is kind of insane

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a really hard time believing it will have that level of improvement. If so that would not only beat Intel, it would decimate it. I do not see that happening.

Having said that, this could be a good Christmas for AMD.

DJT123

Nice. I'll upgrade to Ampere GFX and just wait for this before making a brand new PC. Intel never let me down but AMD are nailing it down right now

Last edited:

dave_d

I hate to say this but my pessimism is the worry that the reason it'll be hard to even get one will be because of scalpers. (Because they're scalping everything else, why not Ryzen 3?)

Azzurri

I'd love to build an AMD gaming PC next summer. I haven't built an AMD PC since Athlon 64 in 2001.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd love to build an AMD gaming PC next summer. I haven't built an AMD PC since Athlon 64 in 2001.

Same except my last one was an AMD 64 X2, the first (good) dual core cpu. That was my favorite build I ever did also, completely custom made water cooled setup with a 680gtx. All built for well under what a single 3090 is costing me lol.

Crazy if true. And I thought I wouldn't need to think about upgrading from my 3900X. At least the 5900X will be a drop in right into my X570 motherboard if I choose to upgrade!

Top Bottom