• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ryzen 5900X to feature boost up to 5Ghz (400mhz improvment from 3900X), up to 20% more IPC

pullcounter

Hopefully this will finally dethrone Intel for the gaming crown.
well if history is any indication, whenever amd thinks that they're offering the same or better performance as their competitor, they price themselves right at their competitor's offering

pullcounter

Intel finally dethroned for gaming?

according to techpowerup. the 10900k is about 20% faster at 720p than the 3900x if you look at the relative performance across all of the games they tested. they use 720p because it's more of a barometer of what the CPUs real world limits are. at 1080p, the 10900k is on average 8.7% faster.

so yeah, if the 20% IPC boost translates to even 10% boost in games, the disparity between the two brands becomes effectively zero. at that point you're looking at other things besides frames/sec (such as latency, overclocking, power consumption/efficiency)

and as far as latency, I think those issues were fixed over a year ago (latency between each chip through the CCX)

I'm curious about this 20% IPC claim, was this a sample chip that was tested by someone, or was this just information from an upcoming slide to be shown at that october presser.

Hakiroto

Crazy if true. And I thought I wouldn't need to think about upgrading from my 3900X. At least the 5900X will be a drop in right into my X570 motherboard if I choose to upgrade!

Same. I currently have a 3700X in an X570 Aorus Elite so it’s nice to know I could upgrade to something like this.

Mhmmm 2077

OMG, come to daddy! I planned to get a 3700X equivalent, but if they launch without it, I might go for something stronger, even though I won't be able to use all that power anyway...

Kanton

can some of you PC brainiacs translate this to me? I want to build a PC in the next month or two, wtf do i do? everything is wait for this and wait for that... money isnt an issue but time is.

if i buy a 10900k now, am i gonna be instantly bottlecucked i with a 3090 or 3080?

Kanton

so when this next ryzen is revealed, is there any other parts i might have to wait for? ddr5? ssd 4.0? moab types or whatever?

should i know then what to buy or is anything still unclear?

Kenpachii

can some of you PC brainiacs translate this to me? I want to build a PC in the next month or two, wtf do i do? everything is wait for this and wait for that... money isnt an issue but time is.

if i buy a 10900k now, am i gonna be instantly bottlecucked i with a 3090 or 3080?

Depends on the games really and resolution u play at. u will always hit bottlenecks no matter what.

Anyway if this is true it could beat intels top end gaming cpu's finally. Intel will have to react.

Last edited:

Kanton

Depends on the games really and resolution u play at. u will always hit bottlenecks no matter what.

Anyway if this is true it could beat intels top end gaming cpu's finally. Intel will have to react.

thanks, do you think its any possibility of the new ryzen being worse than the 10900k... thats highly unlikely right?

Hyped to see this. As a very happy 3700x owner, I can't see myself ever going back to intel. I just hope AMD don't rest on their laurels and get caught out like intel did.
If I am remembering correctly this has happened before with amd and intel. Intel being a much bigger company eventually got back to dominating the enthusiastic market. The last 3-4 years isn’t going to be sustainable.

Senua

Holy shit! Intel should be in trouble now.

tenor.gif

if they can get 5ghz out of zen 3, that means in the future using 5nm to 3nm nod CPU's to have 4 to 5ghz stock and the GPUS to hit 2.5-3.5ghz!

Imagine:
Zen4/5 CPUs: 4.5-5ghz
RDNA3/4 GPUs: 2.5-3.5ghz

For PS5 Pro, XsXPro and PC!!!

🙉💥⚡

Last edited:
Top Bottom