• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rockstar is working on a remaster of all three classic Grand Theft Auto games

Killer8

Only thing i'm concerned about is the soundtrack and VO. I can see some songs not making the cut because of licensing issues (can see MJ getting yeeted from Vice City for... other reasons). Actors demanding more cash and needing replaced is another concern.

yea its going to be the old games you just better hope there not using the iphone/phone ports as there base since those are the ones that simi us UE

ripeavocado

Banned
if it's a good remaster at a reasonable price I will buy it, mostly because they old games could really benefit for an updated control system and minor graphical improvements.

Also they are not available on modern console except for the awful San Andreas port.

If they fuck up the graphics and style I will probably not buy it.

ripeavocado

Banned
I try to imagine the trilogy graphic heavily remodded with UE4 but I smell something similar to a dogshit.

Well graphical mods look like dogshit but this is an official remaster by professional developers, I will be surprised if it will look like some ENB Series shit and I will not buy it.

We have the Halo, Mafia, Bluepoint Games remakes and they all look great.

Blond

Banned
I'd be onboard with this. Sad that remasters are so popular, but nostalgia is a cruel mistress.
On one hand, yes I agree.

On the other, game development is a cruel mistress and I appreciate older games getting another chance to shine.

Going from Rage engine to Unreal is kinda weird for Rockstar who usually use in house engines

but hey, VC is one of my fav games of all time, so I’m already in, I do wish the PSP games also were included, they were great and needed a touch up from the PS2 ports tbh
Vice City Stories is so dang underrated. It brought over a handful of gameplay improvements from San Andreas into the best environment.

Last edited:

GymWolf

their new ganes play like pure shit, so I surely hope they don't add anything from the newer titles
I can understand the sentiment but i don't share it.

Max payne 3 use the euphoria engine and it's one of the best tps ever created in terms of controls\gunplay.

They just need to get their shit together when it comes to combat.

II_JumPeR_I

Have the strange feeling that these will be bundled with GTA5 EE as a bonus and you wont be able to buy them without GTA5 until sometimes in 2022.
Same shit Acti did with CoD4 remaster

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Here We Go Again GIF

Unk Adams

Banned
Imagine being hyped for PS2 games in 2021.

Where the fuck is GTA 6

Games were actually good and interesting back in 2001. Now they're mostly corporate trash, especially AAA titles. So a 2001 remastered game most of the time will beat a brand new 2021 game. I'm almost afraid to see if they end up ruining GTA 6. The storyline will probably be a lecture about how you're a shitty person for playing it along with Fortnite style graphics and a zoomer pop and EDM soundtrack... along with a battle royale multiplayer mode where all of the effort is put into.

Banned
I can understand the sentiment but i don't share it.

Max payne 3 use the euphoria engine and it's one of the best tps ever created in terms of controls\gunplay.

They just need to get their shit together when it comes to combat.

Max Payne 3 was the only, I repeat, ONLY Rage engine game ever released with decent controls.

the issue is, Max Payne 2 had better gameplay. for one, in MP3 your character could literally obfuscate your reticle and you couldn't aim correctly due to that. also the Euphoria engine animation AI could kill you at times when the physics just decided that you collided with something that you clearly didn't even remotely touch, and then send you flying to the side, in full view of the enemies.

Euphoria is a shitty thing to use on the main character. using it on AI characters is totally fine, like how The Force Unleashed used Euphoria to make your force abilities have cool effects on your opponents. they would try to grab on to stuff and to eachother etc.

GymWolf

Max Payne 3 was the only, I repeat, ONLY Rage engine game ever released with decent controls.

the issue is, Max Payne 2 had better gameplay. for one, in MP3 your character could literally obfuscate your reticle and you couldn't aim correctly due to that. also the Euphoria engine animation AI could kill you at times when the physics just decided that you collided with something that you clearly didn't even remotely touch, and then send you flying to the side, in full view of the enemies.

Euphoria is a shitty thing to use on the main character. using it on AI characters is totally fine, like how The Force Unleashed used Euphoria to make your force abilities have cool effects on your opponents. they would try to grab on to stuff and to eachother etc.
It's a price to pay to have weight and some dynamic animations on the main character, some hate this thing, i personally love it if well balanced.

Like for example, i'm playing rdr1 and yeah the gameplay is snappier but the feeling is far more arcade and unrealistic than rdr2.

Tlou2 strike a good balance between heavy movement and precise control, but imho is not quite on the same level of heaviness of rdr2, they still feel like they float a bit instead of being part of the scenario (if you understand what i mean).

I just hate floaty stuff, that's probably why i don't enjoy a lot of japanese anime games that many people love, few japanese devs get heavy characters\animations right.

Last edited:
My issue with the classic games aren't the visuals, but the awful combat system and horrific animations. Also GTA lll just simply sucks compared to Vice City and San Andreas.

Hinedorf

Banned
Certainly seems with the original core having left Rockstar at this point they must also be out of those original ideas, going to be curious what they become when they run out of remakes to remake

Imagine being hyped for PS2 games in 2021.Where the fuck is GTA 6
Agree. We don’t need remakes of 3D GTAs, just give us VI after 8 fucking years you morons.

You can remake 1&2, it won’t take much of your resources and can make a quick buck. And it’s something different.

Everyone’s nostalgia has to be fulfilled these days. It’s 10 times easier than to make a new game from scratch.

Last edited:

ksdixon

See this is what I don't get. Let's say these remaster trilogy does happen, doesn't previous rumor dictate they would be coming to PS5 exclusively, not as multiplatform titles?

Rumors suggesting Sony want to buy Take 2, or Jim Ryan pouring out his cold dead heart about RockStar and Sony's ''special relationship'' at the PS5 launch event, these being the PS2 trilogy of GTA games. Sony investing x amount of money into T2. It's all stupid if the games go to other platforms too. It is money that could have been used elsewhere for actual exclusive games/new studios etc.

This is much needed as in my opinion the old games are too dated looking to go back to, the word I would use to describe them is crude.

Some old 3D games hold up fine, some don't, the PS2 GTAs are ones that don't.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

If this turns out to be true, then i hope they remaster them well as i would replay Vice City and San Andeas with modern graphics and effects, as i'm not expecting or waiting for GTA 6 anymore, i don't even think about it now.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

See this is what I don't get. Let's say these remaster trilogy does happen, doesn't previous rumor dictate they would be coming to PS5 exclusively, not as multiplatform titles?

Rumors suggesting Sony want to buy Take 2, or Jim Ryan pouring out his cold dead heart about RockStar and Sony's ''special relationship'' at the PS5 launch event, these being the PS2 trilogy of GTA games. Sony investing x amount of money into T2. It's all stupid if the games go to other platforms too. It is money that could have been used elsewhere for actual exclusive games/new studios etc.
Wat lol
This will be multiplatform

skit_data

I wonder if its a ”remaster” or ”remaster”.

I’d rather have a remake, sounds wierd to have a partial remaster. Inconsistencies in graphics might look worse than simply keeping it as is.

Sophist

Unreal Engine? Seems weird to not use their in house engine.

I guess games in their RAGE engine have a distinct feel and look that is different than those classic titles. Maybe UE is being used to remain closer to the original games.

Maybe it's being done by an external studio.

Top Bottom