• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Microsoft To Announce Xbox Game Demos & More On June 9th

Chukhopops

That actually makes no sense, they were not allowed to make demos before? What a weird policy to have.
I honestly don’t know but I remember that at least Sable and Tunic had a demo before being released Day 1 on GP. So I don’t think it’s forbidden by MS policy.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's clearly not going to be demos of games already on gamepass. It will be games not on gamepass, and it's a welcome perk.

Those who downplayed the demos on ps5 were more reacting to no day and date and only that and old games for the top tier. Not the idea of demos in general.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why are demos now locked behind a paid subscription? And why are we celebrating it?

Let's do the math.

No demos. (This is what we have now for the most part))
Or
Demos behind a paid sub that a large portion of xbox owners are already subscribed too.

Gee I guess I should be mad at the added value of getting something from nothing.

Last edited:
It's clearly not going to be demos of games already on gamepass. It will be games not on gamepass, and it's a welcome perk.

Those who downplayed the demos on ps5 were more reacting to no day and date and only that and old games for the top tier. Not the idea of demos in general.
mp7PszU.jpg

No, there were definitely people making fun of paying for demos of new games with the PS+ Premium/Deluxe service details. A lot of people maybe weren't, but some DEFINITELY were.

Let's do the math.

No demos. (This is what we have now for the most part))
Or
Demos behind a paid sub that a large portion of xbox owners are already subscribed too.

Gee I guess I should be mad at the added value of getting something from nothing.
Demos exist. They are up to the individual publisher.

Now, third-party developers can have demos on GamePass or PS+. They are up to the individual publisher.

"Added value"

If they're making the announcement in two days, they might as well do it at Summer Games Fest. If the feature's aiming at people outside the ecosystem, SGF would be a good outlet. Only people already on Xbox are going to pay attention to an Xbox Wire article on it.

VN1X

Banned
OMG we love demos/timed trials again!

Right after that legendary thread where people were shitting on Sony for trials.

Green Rats right now:

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

No. Fucking. Way.

THIS is a console warrior-type argument as well? Get the fuck outta here! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You mean to say the shit we've been loving for years over on PC and something that Valve has been heavily pushing for again in recent years (with their special events and Steam functionality) was a fanboy war on Gaf and other places? That is fucking hilarious.

Feel free to quote where I said ps5 demos were bad mr post mover.

If you don't mind:
Look, debate who has more subs, what's a sub, whatever, the bottom line is if Sony releases what has been leaked, it won't move the needle at hardly at all. Game demos and streaming? Not enough to matter.
Well, turns out that not only it was enough to matter, it was enough that MS promptly copied it.

I really don't care for trials/demos that much aside from the normal betas for multiplayer games. Now, expanding their cloud services is always welcomed.

Now the peeps that had all demos locked behind XBL to start with, might stop the "demos locked behind paywalls" mantra once and for all.
Was that really true? Shameless.

It reminds me of the whole uproar about Sony being anti-consumer because they were resisting crossplay (just like MS did when they had better market share) all while F2P wasn't even free on Xbox and required Gold (when it was never behind a paywall on PlayStation).

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
No, there were definitely people making fun of paying for demos of new games with the PS+ Premium/Deluxe service details. A lot of people maybe weren't, but some DEFINITELY were.
I thought it was a bad idea for Sony. If this is behind a paywall it’s a bad idea for Xbox. The only good thing I read was developer compensation for doing it.

Last edited:
Was that really true? Shameless.

It reminds me of the whole uproar about Sony being anti-consumer because they were resisting crossplay (just like MS did when they had better market share) all while F2P wasn't even free on Xbox and required Gold (when it was never behind a paywall on PlayStation).
From what I heard, can't test it myself. I also heard the 360 has the cmos "c-bomb" issue and no one has cared and it hasn't been fixed. Not sure if that's true either though. Also Sony was doing crossplay with PC on PS2. That was stupid to start with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'll bring the same energy if the rumor includes Microsoft forcing 3rd party publishers to release these demos. That was my only objection in the other thread.
True... article needs more concern™.

Writer was too thorough in contrast and not dropping piecemeal every other day.

Last edited:
This thread is really embarrassing. Guys need to chill. This is a good thing.

For me it's not a question of if it's a good thing it's a question of is it redundant? I don't know if the OP is implying this is for GamPass when in reality it may not be/may not require GamePass.

If this is separate from GamePass then it has a purpose. If it's a part of GamePass then it's kind of redundant for anything outside of 3P games that don't come to GamePass Day 1.

But the wording in OP makes it sound like it's intended for GamePass subscribers and the reason I said it's a bit redundant is because you already get more games for Day 1 on GamePass vs. PS+. Point of demos is to let the user spend some time to decide if a game is worth their buy and time. With MS's approach you don't need demos for their 1P games, or quite a lot of indies and even some AA games, since those are the ones they guarantee Day 1 in GamePass anyway.

If you're curious about those games, just wait until Day 1, download (or stream, if it's available), try and decide to either keep it or uninstall. That's all there is to it.

Demos should be free. Paid demos on Game pass make no sense seeing how entire day one games are available on that service to play entirely. The Tunic demo was on Xbox and I don't recall it being exclusively available to Game pass subscribers.

This doesn't seem to be the same as what PS+ Premium was doing but if identical neither are great. I'll await actual confirmation before rendering a final determination.

Calverz

How is giving publishers the option to add free demos to GP and PS+ a good thing, when they already had the same option, but without needing a paid subscription?
Because the platform holders will possibly incentivise this. It’s better than the current status quo surely?

Edit: I should have added that I believe demos should be completely free. I remember the glory days of ps1 demo discs and pc demo discs. They gave me hours of entertainment as I couldn’t buy games myself. So anything that pushes us to get more demos I support. I’m happy Xbox seem to be following suit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom