• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Microsoft could announce up to three Gears of War games at E3

Codes 208

Halo is kinda a fast-paced arcady shooter. Maybe not as much as COD (then again it is getting a BR mode) but more so than Battlefield. So I don't see the "perfect fit for BR".
I wouldnt put halo in with most arcadey shooters. For starts its always been more of an arena shooter (aside from reach or 4) and with shields Its one of the few shooters where you can turn around and fight back. In cod its just bam dead type of happy trigger finger arcadey. Not that i think thats relevant, a BR works pretty well with halo's gameplay philosophy.

Id imagine a halo br would be like fortnite due to shields, strafing and jumping wheras cod's will be more like pubg a more grounded experience

Last edited:

xviper

Halo is kinda a fast-paced arcady shooter. Maybe not as much as COD (then again it is getting a BR mode) but more so than Battlefield. So I don't see the "perfect fit for BR".
BF weapons are similar because they are real so they don't feel special, however Halo weapons are unique and perfect for the rarity system, in Battlefield maybe a legendary weapon is a MP40 with some attachments, in Halo a legendary weapon could be an Energy sword, same goes with vehicles, do you get my point ? Halo is PERFECT for Battle Royale

besides, all BR games so far have AWFUL gameplay, and both COD and BF have mediocre gameplay for today's standards, if Halo 6 have the same gameplay as H5 and it had BR that would be amazing since H5 gameplay is fantastic

3 new gears games doesn't really bother me if the rumor is true. I enjoy RTS games, and there is definitely a shortage on consoles, if not also on PC. So kudos to MS for adding more, even if most people will groan for unnecessary reasons that it is a gears spinoff lol. Also, a sequel or the next installment in the gears series is all but a given at some point down the road, so that's not really much of a surprise or a reason to be upset. If anything, the battle royale version of gears is the most intriguing. If done well I can see it being a load of fun. Anybody freaking out about MS relying on their big 3 franchises is either, a hater to begin with, a troll, or not a true fan of video games, because the big 3 franchises more often than not, bring the quality and the fun people expect from big games.

"Microsoft has barely revealed its catalog, while Sony has announced a massive slate for the coming years. Bethesda and Electronic Arts both have big new sci-fi franchises in the works, while Square Enix and Ubisoft have a variety of sequels in the wings. Microsoft has barely revealed its catalog, while Sony has announced a massive slate for the coming years. Bethesda and Electronic Arts both have big new sci-fi franchises in the works, while Square Enix and Ubisoft have a variety of sequels in the wings."
I love this quote. I like what MS has decided to do by not announcing stuff so early. So many people upset that MS is gonna talk about Halo, Gears, Forza this e3, but I suspect there will be a lot more than just those 3 big names. Should make surprise announcements more common and I will definitely enjoy hearing about stuff and finding out that said stuff will be released in the near future as opposed to the more typical, "hey look at this game announcement. Will be coming out in 3-4 years..." bOOOring.

demigod

I love this quote. I like what MS has decided to do by not announcing stuff so early. So many people upset that MS is gonna talk about Halo, Gears, Forza this e3, but I suspect there will be a lot more than just those 3 big names. Should make surprise announcements more common and I will definitely enjoy hearing about stuff and finding out that said stuff will be released in the near future as opposed to the more typical, "hey look at this game announcement. Will be coming out in 3-4 years..." bOOOring.

You mean like Crackdown 3? They’ll be talking about it.......AGAIN!

You mean like Crackdown 3? They’ll be talking about it.......AGAIN!
If you can't handle video game news, e3 might be a hard pass for you lol. Seeing as how the game hasn't come out yet, has experienced multiple delays, etc, I'd hope they talk about it. Unless you just absolutely hate Crackdown then I don't know why that would bother you.

Why are you crying in every thread?

First party vs 3rd party, try again.
It seems you have a disconnect with understanding human emotions. Let me help. Your posts = bitch sauce. My post = calling you out on that. Take notes. Learn. Apply. Spread the knowledge. You're welcome.

Codes 208

Why are you crying in every thread?

First party vs 3rd party, try again.
Alright, Days Gone. This'll be the third E3 we may see it at. And theres a good chance we'll see that next year too
Not that it really matters. One of your biggest aniticipated games is from Square Enix, the guys who dick with their fans by announcing their games years ahead of release and yet youre here spouting about MS doing the same shit everyone does.

Hell, nintendo did this with BotW. They did that for so long it became multiplatform and I didnt bother to bring up The Last Guardian

Last edited:

demigod

It seems you have a disconnect with understanding human emotions. Let me help. Your posts = bitch sauce. My post = calling you out on that. Take notes. Learn. Apply. Spread the knowledge. You're welcome.

Ok big boy.

Alright, Days Gone. This'll be the third E3 we may see it at. And theres a good chance we'll see that next year too

Next year’s E3? I hope not. Then again i’m used to Sony delays since the PS3 days.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
3 new gears games doesn't really bother me if the rumor is true. I enjoy RTS games, and there is definitely a shortage on consoles, if not also on PC. So kudos to MS for adding more, even if most people will groan for unnecessary reasons that it is a gears spinoff lol. Also, a sequel or the next installment in the gears series is all but a given at some point down the road, so that's not really much of a surprise or a reason to be upset. If anything, the battle royale version of gears is the most intriguing. If done well I can see it being a load of fun. Anybody freaking out about MS relying on their big 3 franchises is either, a hater to begin with, a troll, or not a true fan of video games, because the big 3 franchises more often than not, bring the quality and the fun people expect from big games.

The biggest complaint people have about the Xbox is that it lacks compelling exclusives. You can only milk franchises for so long before people are going to start asking for something different. This is not the case for every single game, but it is for most. Fans are going to want something different, and just because people are complaining about this, doesn't make them a hater or a troll.

The good thing about revealing games 1-2 years in advance is that if gives gamers something to look forward to. You may not personally like this, but most gamers do.

sublimit

Banned
As someone who has never cared for Halo, Gears or Forza I'm still looking for a reason to make use of my XB1.

Cuphead and Ori were good, but that's literally all I've played so far. What's going with Below? That looked promising.
Why would someone who doesn't care for Halo/Gears/Forza would buy an Xbox console in the first place?

The biggest complaint people have about the Xbox is that it lacks compelling exclusives. You can only milk franchises for so long before people are going to start asking for something different. This is not the case for every single game, but it is for most. Fans are going to want something different, and just because people are complaining about this, doesn't make them a hater or a troll.

The good thing about revealing games 1-2 years in advance is that if gives gamers something to look forward to. You may not personally like this, but most gamers do.
Oh definitely agree that you can't stick to the same games forever, but in defense of MS, there have been plenty of new IP's this gen. The games haven't been major blockbuster hits, but that's a far cry from saying MS is only relying on halo, gears, forza. This gen alone we've seen Ryse, Titanfall, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest, ReCore, Quantum Break, Cuphead, and Sea of Thieves. Project Spark, even though it failed, was a good attempt at trying something new. Those are all brand new franchises. Compare that to say Nintendo or even the PS4. Then we have sequels like Dead Rising 3, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and a great collection of games in Rare Replay. I get that MS studios need to do more, but I also think there is a false narrative going around about halo, gears, forza and it gets really tiresome. We have upcoming games like Ashen and The Last Night, too. Maybe I'm looking at the situation incorrectly, but I don't see MS relying purely on forza, gears, halo. The "problem" for most people is that we are going to hear about the big 3 the most because obviously they're the most popular. So then everyone acts like MS is only putting out halo, gears, forza, which is untrue.

demigod

This gen alone we've seen Ryse, Titanfall, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest, ReCore, Quantum Break, Cuphead, and Sea of Thieves.

Seriously Titanfall? That game was supposed to be multiplat until MS moneyhatted. Look where Titanfall 2 ended on. I’m not sure why you added sequels like Dead Rising when talking about new IPs. You might as well add Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4 in your list. I’m pretty sure thelastword or was it someone else that compared new ip between the 2 and Sony had more.

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
Microsoft has said for 3 years now, that there won't be another generation of gaming for them, just upgraded Xbox One(s). Spencer himself promoted gaming without 'generations' and 'limitations'.

I think that is what leant to the failure of the Wii U. The uninformed buyer likely didn't know it was the Wii's successor. Branding can either aid or hold back a company when it gets a bad rep, and since the Xbox One has been a failure (in comparison to the Xbox 360 and other current gen consoles; looking at first party games specifically), it would be a mistake to hold onto the "Xbox One" branding. New console, new clean slate to start over with.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Microsoft .

With all respect. Its time to New I.P.

Halo, Forza, Gears... Halo, Forza, Gears, More Halo, Forza, Gears.

Dont have more imagination?

Seriously Titanfall? That game was supposed to be multiplat until MS moneyhatted. Look where Titanfall 2 ended on. I’m not sure why you added sequels like Dead Rising when talking about new IPs. You might as well add Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4 in your list. I’m pretty sure thelastword or was it someone else that compared new ip between the 2 and Sony had more.
Honestly, I don't really care about Titanfall one way or the other. The point was that Microsoft isn't relying solely on Halo, Gears, and Forza, which they aren't. And lol at bringing up thelastword.
Microsoft .

With all respect. Its time to New I.P.

Halo, Forza, Gears... Halo, Forza, Gears, More Halo, Forza, Gears.

Dont have more imagination?
This is what I'm talking about...

The thing is, that complaint wouldn't be such a big deal, if the quality of Halo and Gears were matching those of their earlier predecessors from the 360 days. Lets be real, the 360 didn't have a huge roster of different exclusives either. What they did have were monolithic titles that millions of people are very invested into. With the direction both games are going, it's starting to lose appeal slowly. Halo will always sell big time and make money, the question is whether it can become a lead title for the Xbox. Whether it can sell as quick as Halo 2 and 3 did, and at the same time retain a huge player base a year later.

demigod

Honestly, I don't really care about Titanfall one way or the other. The point was that Microsoft isn't relying solely on Halo, Gears, and Forza, which they aren't. And lol at bringing up thelastword.

Add up those new IPs you spoke of, now add up all halo, gears, forza games and tell me which are more.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
First 3 Gears have a ranting in the 90’s

Judgment 79

4 is 84

Trending downwards as I said. You seem to be only taking into account the positive.

so an 84 rating is a bad game? the only thing that let down gears 4 was the Robot sections to start with. after that its a great game. I have played them all and enjoyed them all except judgement which was a strange entry.

I look forward to new gears games and hoping there is a new entry at E3

EDMIX

" Microsoft isn't relying solely on Halo, Gears, and Forza, which they aren't."

Oh yes, yes they are big time. The only major AAA titles that MS has even funded from the ground up that they own, have been those series. ie they don't own Titanfall IP, they don't own Sunset Overdrive and they don't own Ryse or Tomb Raider etc The closest thing might be Sea Of Theives. Sorry but MS in terms of AAA THEY OWN AND FUND only seem to rest on Halo, Gear, Forza like clock work. they rely on those IP BADLY as to why they are the bulk of MS actual spending in terms of AAA. Unless we really trying to pretend that State Of Decay has a budget or team bigger then Halo or Gears....

When MS comes out with a new AAA IP that cost equal or MORE then Gear, Halo or Forza, then we can have that conversation, but from what I've seen, they have been playing it extremely safe and its why I think those sales of XONE are as low as they are.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Oh definitely agree that you can't stick to the same games forever, but in defense of MS, there have been plenty of new IP's this gen. The games haven't been major blockbuster hits, but that's a far cry from saying MS is only relying on halo, gears, forza. This gen alone we've seen Ryse, Titanfall, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest, ReCore, Quantum Break, Cuphead, and Sea of Thieves. Project Spark, even though it failed, was a good attempt at trying something new. Those are all brand new franchises. Compare that to say Nintendo or even the PS4. Then we have sequels like Dead Rising 3, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and a great collection of games in Rare Replay. I get that MS studios need to do more, but I also think there is a false narrative going around about halo, gears, forza and it gets really tiresome. We have upcoming games like Ashen and The Last Night, too. Maybe I'm looking at the situation incorrectly, but I don't see MS relying purely on forza, gears, halo. The "problem" for most people is that we are going to hear about the big 3 the most because obviously they're the most popular. So then everyone acts like MS is only putting out halo, gears, forza, which is untrue.

But we know how the majority of those games turned out. Games such as Ryse, Quantum Break, ReCore, Project Spark all failed as established new IPs. MS needs more IPs that are going to be huge AAA titles that makes people buy an Xbox One. State of Decay 2 might have a small audience, but they need a lot more than that if they're going to stay competitive against MS and Sony.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The thing is, that complaint wouldn't be such a big deal, if the quality of Halo and Gears were matching those of their earlier predecessors from the 360 days. Lets be real, the 360 didn't have a huge roster of different exclusives either. What they did have were monolithic titles that millions of people are very invested into. With the direction both games are going, it's starting to lose appeal slowly. Halo will always sell big time and make money, the question is whether it can become a lead title for the Xbox. Whether it can sell as quick as Halo 2 and 3 did, and at the same time retain a huge player base a year later.

Yes, losing their appeal is the problem. It's good that they're releasing another Gears and Halo, but what else do they have down the road? It just doesn't seem like they have that next big franchise that's going to make people go out and buy an Xbox One. I think this year's E3 is going to be big for MS, but I think next year's is going to be even bigger. That's when people are going to start looking for fresh new IPs from MS and they could run into a problem if they don't have any big titles to show.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The only thing thing that bugs me about this thread is that no one has mentioned Killer Instinct 🙃. I think you could argue it's Microsoft's best game this gen!

" Microsoft isn't relying solely on Halo, Gears, and Forza, which they aren't."

Oh yes, yes they are big time. The only major AAA titles that MS has even funded from the ground up that they own, have been those series. ie they don't own Titanfall IP, they don't own Sunset Overdrive and they don't own Ryse or Tomb Raider etc The closest thing might be Sea Of Theives. Sorry but MS in terms of AAA THEY OWN AND FUND only seem to rest on Halo, Gear, Forza like clock work. they rely on those IP BADLY as to why they are the bulk of MS actual spending in terms of AAA. Unless we really trying to pretend that State Of Decay has a budget or team bigger then Halo or Gears....

When MS comes out with a new AAA IP that cost equal or MORE then Gear, Halo or Forza, then we can have that conversation, but from what I've seen, they have been playing it extremely safe and its why I think those sales of XONE are as low as they are.
Of course the most game funding that comes from MS is going to go toward their most successful and tried and true games. Is that really surprising? Second, unless you have numbers that show how much money MS has put into each game, I dont think you can argue your case with any credibility. And whether MS is putting as much funding into other games is irrelevant really. If their short term strategy with the remaining life cycle of the xbox one is to invest smaller amounts of money into more games, then so be it. That can just as easily be a strategy that doesn't require MS to rely on their big hitters. At this point, the only situation where it makes sense to fund a big AAA game is if that games is going to be cross-gen, and I think that's probably what MS is doing. People say MS has no games. I list games. Then the argument turns into something else - "those games aren't ms studios developed..." "those games don't get as much funding..." Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for e3 to see what is in store for xbox owners. If after e3, people still have a reason to complain about games, I'll shut my mouth. Forza is meant to come out almost every single year between the horizon series and the main series. But Gears isn't going to come out more than once every 3 years or so and the same with Halo. So MS can't rely on just those games. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy. But if MS is able to consistently fill the gaps with other games then I dont know why people get so bent out of shape about it.

And yes, Killer Instinct is a great game. I forgot to mention it.

jadedm17

Battle royale? Eh. As a diehard Gears fan with ridiculous expensive merchandise even I can't see the market for that much Gears.

We have heard MS might announce a game in every genre possible so this way once they have their event we will get 1 of our predictions right.

The doomsday strategy? If we all pick a day the world ends then someone has to be right eventually.

To be fair I've never thought of people who find rumors fun to be sane or they'd just wait for the actual event; I'd rather know 100% personally.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The ending of Gears 4 left a lot to be desired. It was very light hearted compared to the trilogy. Insert the whole "The Force Awakens" comparison.
It would be awesome to see more Gears, but in the same breath if they're just going to turn this into TFA2 and some Fortnite skins; then what's the big deal?

Gears of War 1-3 had a solid story that only fell short in its prequel. The series doesn't need to be anymore light hearted.

Halo's next entry is an arcade game: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...65780/halo-fireteam-raven-arcade-game-details

But that's probably big talk and not necessarily the next big entry. Gears could do this too right?

Last edited:
Damn, can't wait see how this translates and still no rumors about Age of Empires...

Microsoft has said for 3 years now, that there won't be another generation of gaming for them, just upgraded Xbox One(s). Spencer himself promoted gaming without 'generations' and 'limitations'.
Games as a service is also something he’s been saying is going to be a focus going forward.
Damn, can't wait see how this translates and still no rumors about Age of Empires...

In my opinion it’s the same thing as generations, they just aren’t changing the name.

kingwingin

They should combine gears 5 and the battle royale title as one, also release more novels! Gears 4 set up so many story points that would be perfect for a book

Top Bottom