• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: HBO's Last of Us will focus on climate change and rape culture

It couldn't be a show about surviving an outbreak. Everything is a platform now.

'It was climate change all aloooooong!'

aliens-explosion.gif

'Truly, we were the real enemy..... us.... humankind.... MAN!'

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
You know ..

people’s minds turning to shit day by day and that just not in life but even in gaming , a game which talks about a father and a little girl who doesn’t get infected because it’s blood and the father sees her as his lost daughter and she sees him as a father ..

Somehow after all that time everything changed to ( we will focus on her gay relationship - rape culture and men being monsters - showing girls as badass we can )

well fuck you and your sick mind .. just give us that pure motivation between a father who lost his daughter and a girl who wants to find out the truth.. I don’t care about feminism or gay shit or showing men or women as monsters ..

If earth could talk .. it will kick your ass out of it

Last edited:

desertdroog

HBO writing a series on an IP from a studio that outputs games like Uncharted and Last Of Us which could be argued has a 'Murder Culture' as a game mechanic, yet think that Global Warming and 'Rape Culture' will be the stand out message in a post apocalyptic zombie story. Hilarious!

mortal

Gold Member
It's funny because under any other circumstance, themes of rape and climate change would make a lot of sense in a post apocalyptic world like The Last of US, especially one with a fungal based epidemic. Both have been staples in numerous post apocalyptic stories of the past.

Although within today's political and cultural landscape, it's hard to to tell if this will be a genuine and nuanced exploration of the human condition or just political posturing.
Will just have to watch it or at least wait for a couple of trailers to make a full assessment before passing judgement.

Last edited:
No I played it it's one of my faves, but it still boils down to a zombie apocalypse. Still surviving by avoiding essentially monsters who wanna eat ya, just like zombies

But you posted, how could climate change lead to a zombie apocalypse. I posted a link to an article on how they could set up the story on the basis the Last of Us is actually about infected people (who yes, certainly behave like zombies).

And if I recall, because they are infected, the "zombies" have different stages of infection so there can be different types, as opposed to traditional Zombies in something like The Walking Dead (I watched the early seasons, not sure if this changed in later seasons). I would say, the infected part, is a key part of the LoU universe.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I think rape is a thing that occures more often in society structures that are... less stable.

I am not an anthropologist, but i’ve always thought this too. Ive also thought that men being physically stronger + no form of birth control meant that past cultures needed male warriors to ensure social stability and protect the tribal structure. Wives need husbands, sisters need brothers.

Idk tho, were their tribes where females were warriors? Are we the first civ to have effective and widely available birth control? What would a post apocalyptic society look like in terms of gender roles?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

You didn’t notice the weird shift in later series to women being in charge of everything, male characters becoming increasingly dumb and weak willed, identitarian views on anyone not white seeing white people as instinctively hating them, general lack of depth and subtlety in characters that had before hand been subtle, intelligent manipulators with personal interests instead of vague one dimensional archetypes?

Don’t get me wrong, it was no where near as brazen as it is these days, and far from the biggest reason the show shat itself to death in the final series, but I mean Aria’s super human murder spree and completely unearned killing of the Night King alone kind of scream progressive politics getting prioritised over good writing.
You talking about Game of Thrones or the latest Star Wars films?

[SPOILERS warning for anyone who hasn't watched the Game of Thrones show.]

At any rate, the reason they stupidly had Aria kill the Night King was the fact that if she hadn't kill him, her entire character would turn out to be pointless. Aria was supposed to avenge the Starks - her family - because of the treachery of various individuals. However, Martin (and the HBO writers), basically killed all of them and denied her the kills.

Joffrey Lannister - murdered by Olenna Tyrell
Cercei Lannister - killed by the 'rocks fall, everyone dies' trope
Tywin Lannister - murdered by Tyrion Lannister
The Hound - killed by the Mountain who was killed by the Hound (not that she would kill her only friend, but …)

And about the ones she did kill?

Walder Frey - kills him at a point when he's utterly irrelevant to the plot and doesn't matter whether he lives or dies
Meryn Trant - kills him at a point where the audience wouldn't spare a single fuck
Polliver - who? exactly.
Rorge - who? exactly.
and the list goes on with characters who earn a who? and huh? from the audience.

Bottom line: Since Aria was hyped to be one of the most influencial characters in the show, the writers had to give her a non-earned kill in a pitiful attempt to make her arc not fall flat on her face. Which it does, but anyway.

They built up this rivalry with John and the Night King, without any payoff. Hell, even Daenyris could've claimed the kill after seeing the Night King fly around with her undead dragon as his personal boy toy, but no ... they had to give the kill to Aria in order not to be completely useless in the story.

So I think this is less about female empowerment and more of a 'we fucked up, how do we salvage this' kind of thing.

Last edited:

desertdroog

If the protagonists are in a world that is post-apocalyptic, how are they going to address global warming? The sins attributed to global warning have already been addressed. Manufacturing is non existent and populations have diminished severely. What will be the point? Good Game, let's fast forward another thousand years and start again?

If the protagonists are in a world that is post-apocalyptic, how are they going to address global warming? The sins attributed to global warning have already been addressed. Manufacturing is non existent and populations have diminished severely. What will be the point? Good Game, let's fast forward another thousand years and start again?

So many better post-apocalyptic shows out there like the anime Cagaster of an Insect Cage on Netflix.

cryptoadam

Banned
Never played the game, is this close to the plot of the game? I thought the character was gay and that was a big deal at the last Sony E3 PC ??

Are we already staring at the future of Sony Exclusives?

Selective Censorship and SJW Pandering?

Yuck

If Microsoft is smart they'll try to keep the SJW pandering in XBox Game Studios to a minimum. Looking forward to non-political indies like TUNIC and 12 minutes. Ah, the sheer joy of gaming again.

Nickolaidas

Tlou just keeps getting better and better.

ND is really letting all their sjw bullshit comeout. Just like it seems uncharted will probably be using Drake's daughter as the main character in the future.

I have recently started playing the Uncharted games (never did so in the past and it's a great chance now that all four of them recently became available with PS Plus) and I am planning on starting a thread about them once I'm done. Quite a few interesting things I've noticed.

Arkage

Banned
Is this the new low hanging fruit concern trolling? Just make up random SJW shit and attach it to any form of Last of Us media?

I heard a rumor that Joel is actually going to discover he's trans, and as a new woman discovers how her toxic masculinity ruined her relationship with Ellie. The plot will revolve around her searching for a transitioning clinic in post apocalyptic america, and become the first female president of America.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

See the situation now?
With lockdown in the world, the air is way less polluted, animals are coming in town etc...
Could be the subject.
In the first game, nature reclaimed her right.
Maybe it will be their approach in the subject (classic but not too much political)

True, I didnt think of it that way

Kokoloko85

Other topics in post apocalyptic settings include cannibalism, survival, starvation etc...

(Not from you) given it's only a rumour, and not sure why, but there's a lot of whining about common themes which regularly pop up in post apocalyptic tv/movies (The Walking dead, 28 days later etc)...

Why not climate change, I can't recall if it's been done before in TV show/movie - I don't see a problem with going with a slightly different angle.
Agreed.

Jtibh

Banned
With crude and brent oil prices where they are now and the whole world on continous lockdown with no air traffic, limited amount of cars on the roads AND with no sight of mcGreta who do they want to brainwash with this climate change shit?

Rape? Yeah rape the makers of this horseshit show. Hbo you fucked up with westworld like i never seen in television history by pushing the strong female lead naritive fucking up GOT and now this shit?

Hbo if you go full feminist sjw pussy on BARRY i will shit in a box and mail it to you.

spawn

I will wait for an actual confirmation, but that sounds like shit and will not go down well with fans

kiphalfton

Well that girl already played the part of a rape victim in It, It Chapter 2, and Gretel and Hansel, so why not.

On a side note, you gotta wonder if those are the sort of roles she's going for...

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
In a post-apocalyptic setting, climate change stuff makes sense. As far as the rape culture commentary, all I can think of is just the standard “lawless men running wild as the world ends” stuff we’ve seen in many other similar projects.

Ehhh, I mean, I want it to be good. Hopefully it’s okay

There was no climate change in last of us. None, zilch, nada. If nothing else things got better as life began to take over crumbling cities.

Rape was also not even a explicit thing in it. David was kind of hinting at it some but after she broke his finger that went out the window and he wanted to kill her.

kretos

Banned
Are we already staring at the future of Sony Exclusives?

Selective Censorship and SJW Pandering?

Yuck

Some insider at era made some posts about Sony management and Kojima and Death Stranding that they forced him to finish the game early and made some adjusments about stuff they didn't like, not sure if this is a one time case because Kojima was going way over budget or this is a new direction by the new Sony boss, i really hate if this is the new direction of Sony because one of the best things about them is the freedom they give to their 1st party developers, i guess we'll wait and see

marianus

So now you have a problem with women?

Nothing wrong with having a strong female lead...
Gears was always the cool dudebro shooter that even many guys who didn't game liked. Now it is a generic franchise where the main character is an angry white woman like in most games today. Change for the worst.

Top Bottom