• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destruction All Stars devs are making a Twisted Metal game

KAL2006

Banned
Although Destruction Allstars was garbage I think this is a perfect fit. They can reuse the same engine. Obviously change the art style to the classic Twisted Metal style. It would be a more efficient and quick way for a sequel. I also think they should just remake classic stages such as Paris. This way they don't even need to spend money and budget on level design, it would be a win win fans would love it and it would he a easier task for the Devs.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Sony. There has been 1000 twisted metal clones since the OG TM.
It's a dead genre, man. No one wants to play as a car and shoot cars with auto aim.
What the folks really want is a battle royal game where everyone has a jet pack and you can ride dinosaurs.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unless you are some massively popular franchise you can't just release a multiplayer heavy $60 game these days

I don't necessarily buy this.

Splatoon sold 5 million copies.
Splatoon 2 sold 12 million copies.
Overwatch sold 35 million copies.

People spend money on products they're excited for. Buzz, hype, marketing get people to depart with their money. I can still see big budget multiplayer doing well at $60/$70.

Twisted Metal on the other hand? Probably not.

Unk Adams

Banned
I don't know, not really interested in multiplayer games or Twister Metal to be honest, but I can see that there could be some sense in this.

Certainly a lot more sense than the above post anyway.
I'm not even bothered by people making a noise for their own sake, it's just such a lazy tabloid style word that people seem to enjoy using when they know they have nothing real to say. Its really not the lack of linguistic aptitude that it signifies when people use words that have been so overused out of context that they lose lose all real value, it's the laziness in electing to do it that I don't understand.
I used to use one of the standard a word filters to silently change all these tabloid style words into sentences that made people posting them say things that they almost certainly didn't want to say. :messenger_beaming:
Can't see it happening here though, words like woke, triggered and the like seem to keep the place busy which equals more money coming in, I suppose.
C'mon. We all know what "woke" games are and why woke games like Destruction All Stars flop. They're usually categorized by ugly, cartoony art styles, unrealistically ugly female characters and just lame characters in general, and designed by insufferable, unlikable developers.

Non-woke games have diverse characters and are interesting, like the original Saints Row series. Woke games are just cringe and embarrassing corporate trash, like the Saints Row reboot.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Destruction All Stars had great gameplay and car handling and it looked nice, it just lacked content.

At least they’re capable devs.
Destruction All-Stars played well but lacked destruction and felt repetitive.
I think the game code, network code, controls, and whatnot were fine, but the driving physics were terrible. I didn't get a sense of weight and that's critical for a game about vehicular combat. I think they have potential, but the actual driving was a complete turnoff in DAS...

tmlDan

I think the game code, network code, controls, and whatnot were fine, but the driving physics were terrible. I didn't get a sense of weight and that's critical for a game about vehicular combat. I think they have potential, but the actual driving was a complete turnoff in DAS...
cars don't have realistic weight in arcade shooters, I never quite understand when people say that because it feels like it means something else to everyone unless we're talking about racing sims.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It may work, destructrion all stars suck because all you do is ramp vehicle or people with vehicles.

Paired it with weapon destruction in an open field arena.

BOOM! there you go. A revived twisted metal.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
cars don't have realistic weight in arcade shooters, I never quite understand when people say that because it feels like it means something else to everyone unless we're talking about racing sims.
I never said anything about realism.

TidusYuna

I just hope they go for a mature dark vibe. I think the destruction all star devs can hit this out of the park, the physics of Destruction All stars driving looks pretty good for vehicular combat. You just know that Destruction all stars dev is going to bring back Black Rock stadium.

I'm really curious what David Jaffe thinks. Been waiting for another Twisted Metal since PS3.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd prefer to get a new Wipeout instead (a normal one for PS, not a cards based one for mobile).

I assume it makes sense, but I never have been interested in Twisted Metal, but regarding vehicle combat Jaffe games I really liked Chasing All Cars.
I think that's also coming.

CamHostage

Although Destruction Allstars was garbage I think this is a perfect fit. They can reuse the same engine. Obviously change the art style to the classic Twisted Metal style. It would be a more efficient and quick way for a sequel.

Agreed, I would totally be down for smaller-scale projects of major brands, especially in the downloadable market. Don't swing for the fences every time (especially if you're going to ice the whole franchise if you whiff,) just make a game for the moment. Tying into the TV show right on time with something reminiscent of the PS1/PS2/PSP TMs would be perfect.

They have, however, done the nostalgia trek once before with Twisted Metal Head-On for PSP and eventually PS2, so I'm not sure what approach would be good this time. Maybe select levels from all the PS1 TMs, even the 989 ones but without bad physics... it seems like a real bad idea, but imagine Small Brawl if it actually had a framerate?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just hope they go for a mature dark vibe. I think the destruction all star devs can hit this out of the park, the physics of Destruction All stars driving looks pretty good for vehicular combat. You just know that Destruction all stars dev is going to bring back Black Rock stadium.

I'm really curious what David Jaffe thinks. Been waiting for another Twisted Metal since PS3.

TM Black on PS2 was awesome. Aside from dabbling with a TM demo on a PS1 sampler disc, Black is the only TM game I've played. One of the first PS2 games I bought and it was great.

Only drawback is the AI sure seemed to purposely gang up on you. And it's not like they did that later in the match where you're winning. It seemed even from the get go they are tuned to focus on working together to get you. Not sure if all TM games are like that.

TidusYuna

TM Black on PS2 was awesome. Aside from dabbling with a TM demo on a PS1 sampler disc, Black is the only TM game I've played. One of the first PS2 games I bought and it was great.

Only drawback is the AI sure seemed to purposely gang up on you. And it's not like they did that later in the match where you're winning. It seemed even from the get go they are tuned to focus on working together to get you. Not sure if all TM games are like that.

I think the PS3 version the A.I. gang up on you too. As far as the best twisted metal game, Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal Black seem to be the most popular.

Fbh

I don't necessarily buy this.

Splatoon sold 5 million copies.
Splatoon 2 sold 12 million copies.
Overwatch sold 35 million copies.

People spend money on products they're excited for. Buzz, hype, marketing get people to depart with their money. I can still see big budget multiplayer doing well at $60/$70.

Twisted Metal on the other hand? Probably not.

Well yeah I guess it isn't impossible.
But Nintendo is a pretty unique case in terms of software sales, and Overwatch released 5 years ago.

These days between the juggernauts of paid games like COD and Battlefield, Destiny, etc and the big amount of extremely popular free games (Fortnite, COD Warzone, Apex, soon Halo 5, Rocket League, LOL and Dota, etc) you have to make something truly special to stay around as a full retail multiplayer game. And I agree, a TV show tie in TM probably isn't it.

It may work, destructrion all stars suck because all you do is ramp vehicle or people with vehicles.

Paired it with weapon destruction in an open field arena.

BOOM! there you go. A revived twisted metal.

But that's the thing...it depends on how good the developer is...and quite frankly. destruction all stars like it or not was complete garbage. again we'll have to wait and see but umm..yeah idk about these guys handling the ip.

Rykan

But that's the thing...it depends on how good the developer is...and quite frankly. destruction all stars like it or not was complete garbage. again we'll have to wait and see but umm..yeah idk about these guys handling the ip.
Hard to imagine that they were planning on charging 70$ for it at one point.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I did not play the game, but i heard the physics and visuals is pretty good, i think Jaffe has no issue with Lucid games based on his youtube video (i didnt watch everything though).

The game just suck because it has nothing much to do.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Here's what you do.... Combine twisted metal, destruction derby, wipeout and motorstorm into one epic car destruction racing game.

Raonak

Banned
Sony. There has been 1000 twisted metal clones since the OG TM.
It's a dead genre, man. No one wants to play as a car and shoot cars with auto aim.
What the folks really want is a battle royal game where everyone has a jet pack and you can ride dinosaurs.
What if it's a battle royale car game with 100 cars parachuting off a plane?

Don't punch me, but I think that the problem lies with the IP, and not with Lucid Games. Twisted Metal is an edgy game with outdated mechanics that belong to simpler times. Good luck re-introducing it without some major, MAJOR, changes to the formula...I honestly do not see it making waves whenever it's supposed to hit.

Last edited:
This rumor has been confirmed at CES

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/p...-working-on-twisted-metal-series-aNjDa8a6Twgt

Don't punch me, but I think that the problem lies with the IP, and not with Lucid Games. Twisted Metal is an edgy game with outdated mechanics that belong to simpler times. Good luck re-introducing it without some major, MAJOR, changes to the formula...I honestly do not see it making waves whenever it's supposed to hit.

Twisted Metal on PS3 was deep as fuck if you really dug into it. They just didnt convey the depth to the players very well and the broken net code tanked the game at launch.

ultrazilla

Please... no...

See this is where we need a new emoji that basically says "i'm half way with you!". Not sure about this. There's tons of potential of course and what little I played of Destruction was fun but it got old really quick. IMO
they should really just go back and say remake the first 3 or so games and implement full multiplayer, update the maps and call it a day. Really miss the series. Hopefully it gets done correctly if this is true. davidjaffe davidjaffe save us!

Sweet Tooth with pink hair?? No thanks.​

No Way Do Not Want GIF

TheMan

I know David Jaffe has commented on it, but what does Twisted Metal need to do to thrive in the modern era?

Great franchise but the gameplay loop needs a revamp.

This is the big question. I'm imagining something like wreckfest- a robust damage system paired with believable physics and maybe more down to earth weapons? The game already had varied characters so I think they'll continue with that given the hero trend. I forsee battle royale modes too. Given that the devs made the destruction all stars game, I could see on-foot sections but with guns

Last edited:

T0minator

If done correctly, it could be great. Engaging multiplayer with a great set of characters could be popular. The issue is whether Lucid is capable of making it happen

Barlow

Last year VGC reported that a new car combat instalment – which by release, would be the series' first in over a decade – had started early development at the Liverpool, UK-based Destruction All-Stars developer Lucid games.

However, VGC has been told that the project has since ceased development at Lucid and, according to sources, Sony has decided to instead move the series revival to one of its first-party studios in Europe.

Amiga

I know it wasn't popular lol

Just wondering if it's because it sucked or.. i dunno.. because something else.

They are pretty experienced at vehicle games in general so not like it's GUARANTEED a TM game from them would suck.

Games like this and dreams need to launch on PC. it's where most of the content creators are.

KAL2006

Banned
Have any of you guys even played a Twisted Metal in the last year. It's aged horribly. This is coming from someone who loved Twisted Metal 2. The combat mechanic of cars moving and shooting just doesn't work as well as regular third or first person shooter. Even David Jaffe admitted this.

They would have to find away to revamp the combat. The only way it would work is to have cars as powerups like Titanfall but then at this stage it's no longer Twisted Metal.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Would love a VR TWISTED METAL I think they’re afraid to touch ancient Sony IPs they really wanted Crash and Spryo to explode and you could tell Saturday afternoon gamers would rather be playing a bunch of new games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

To coincide with the TV series.

The gameplay mechanics are sound in Destruction All Stars but the game itself is shallow as fuck and combat with guns and missiles would work better with laggy internets than trying to score a direct hit by a car for MP. I think Destruction All Stars would be more fun if it was race-based with combat.

ethomaz

Banned
Please... no...
Jimbo finally listened to you even with all these haters trying to cancel you in this thread.
Thanks... we need more people being reasonable with game development voicing out.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
article said:
It’s understood Sony still intends to bring back the car combat series in time to coincide with an upcoming TV series in 2023, and early work has begun at the unnamed first-party studio.

Gee, that always works out well.

Billbofet

I have incredibly fond memories of Twisted Metal 1 & 2. My roommate from college and I still play rooftops deathmatch for hours when we see each other.
I also really enjoyed TM: Black.

I have hope they could do something to revive this franchise, but a nice re-master would be amazing. Not just an uprez. A true re-master with all the games.

sainraja

Was that game any good? I know it got thrown on PS+, surely lots of people tried it?
They made some stupid decisions in terms of gameplay but they did get the feel right. I think if they got another go at that series or hopefully with Twisted Metal they can right that wrong — just let us boost and crash. Let the cars explode! Don't play it safe and don't, don't put a cooldown timer for crashing into other cars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom