• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX I/O and DirectStorage coming... next year, possibly in 2022

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't get it?
Let me help translate the op for you.

QLc27qV.png

geordiemp

I highly doubt AMD are taking Sony's solution wholesale. What they might end up with is a hybrid taking aspects of both Sony's and Microsoft's that is compatible with DirectStorage.

At least, if their Big Navi cards have the support. Here's to hoping they do.

AMD will of started work on it earlier I suspect as they designed Ps5, my gut feel is we are getting PR from Nvidia and mS and they are not as far down the road as they would like consumers to believe.

PR Sure worked though, I have had 100 arguments on GAF on this subject as you know. AMD are more likely to come with a solution as they can do CPU and GPU solutions.....but they still need windows 10 seeing to..

Seems my predictions on this getting resolved on the PC side by late 2021/2022 was on point. And Sony's PS5 solution will still outperform it in some respect. Jesus!

Last edited:
ITT people who have no idea what they're talking about but are desperate to console war.

Sony fans big advantage, their big secret sauce and it's already been surpassed. They are SO salty and desperate to discredit it, they can't even hide it.

You read a bunch of words you did not understand in the slightest, but immediately went: They must have produced a better I/O configuration! :messenger_tears_of_joy::pie_raybans:

You read a bunch of words you did not understand in the slightest, but immediately went: They must have produced a better I/O configuration! :messenger_tears_of_joy::pie_raybans:

I don't pretend to know the nuts and bolts of MS, Sony's or Nvidia's IO solutions.

And I don't need to have any special technical knowledge to KNOW FOR A FACT that whatever console hardware does, PC hardware inevitably surpasses it. Usually before they even have a chance to launch. We'll have 30+ TFLOP GPU's out before Sony can launch their "burst up to" 10TFLOP box.

Sony fans thought they were going to have the most powerful console but that didn't work out, so they latched onto the ONLY advantage they had ( or thought they had ) with SSD's and IO but now that advantage has also evaporated... before the PS5 even launches. Sony fans are clearly salty as fuck about this.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't pretend to know the nuts and bolts of MS, Sony's or Nvidia's IO solutions.

And I don't need to have any special technical knowledge to KNOW FOR A FACT that whatever console hardware does, PC hardware inevitably surpasses it. Usually before they even have a chance to launch. We'll have 30+ TFLOP GPU's out before Sony can launch their "burst up to" 10TFLOP box.

Sony fans thought they were going to have the most powerful console but that didn't work out, so they latched onto the ONLY advantage they had ( or thought they had ) with SSD's and IO but now that advantage has also evaporated... before the PS5 even launches. Sony fans are clearly salty as fuck about this.

Really? are they? i haven't seen people getting any salty about this. Only PCMR geeks who crawled out of their lairs and started screaming. People even started that weird war when these new NVMe drives where announces as a "rival". Linus Tech his video was the proof how butthurt the PC scene was after the "The Road to PS5".

What advantage does the PC have with this compared to PS5 if not even everyone has such a graphics card? Every PS5 owner has the same hardware, so they can utilize and optimize it for every PS5 owner. I get a 3080 myself, but saying this is the best solution already is a dumb thing to say.

Boy...you sound frustrated.

Last edited:

Nobody is salty except for you. You are acting like an even worse Don Quichotte, fighting Windmills that you yourself have created. PS fans stick to the brand because they have been served well for 26 years, not because each PS iteration was the most powerful console around: The N64 was ahead; The Dreamcast was ahead (for a time); The Xbox; The GameCube; The Xbox One X; The PC, for close to a decade...and yet, none of that mattered: The titles have always been there, varied and of high quality.
Plus, who cares about the next graphics card (well, MS, seeing as their games release day and date on PC, but even then, it would increase their GP subscribers)? Hell, AMD will have more powerful GPUs around the end of the year, and even more powerful ones the year after it, and on and on and on...You think that you have made some miraculous discovery. Those cards will go, yet again, unexploited, as there will probably be no game taking fully advantage of them. They will serve to increase the resolution, effects and frame rate on already existing console games...As Borat said: Wowoweewa!
Sony approach with the PS5 was laid clearly to anyone with more than two neurones: Powerful enough to mark the beginning of a new generation, extremely fast, easy to develop on, and quite innovative in its input method (controller). Remember these words: They are trying to go back to their first Playstation roots by making titles easy to produce. The OS is, apparently, quite bold, but that remains to be seen.
All in all, you wrote nothing but unadulterated crap. Think again...

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Because they didn't want to "stay behind next gen consoles" in any regard. So it didn't matter it's not coming at launch, it had to 'look good'.
You do realize Ampere has been in development for years, right? This isn't just something they decided to do because Mark Cerny gave a PowerPoint presentation at GDC earlier this year ..

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't get it?

Microsoft are using AMD cards but are helping Nvidia? Wut? AMD can't be over-the-moon with the move from MS?

Is it a return to MS+Nvidia? Will we see MS+Nvidia vs Sony+AMD?!

So many questions
I would assume this is going to support more than just nVidia. It does not seem to be based solely on dedicated silicon as it's going to support Turing cards as well.

You do realize Ampere has been in development for years, right? This isn't just something they decided to do because Mark Cerny gave a PowerPoint presentation at GDC earlier this year ..
Yes. But it won't be there at launch so... whatever? Like PS5's tech was decided at the last minute as well 🤷‍♂️

Of course, just see how it's already struggling with FS2020 with 32GB and 11GB VRAM. People forget that PC's need to fight Windows OS.

It is true that FS2020 will use 11GB of VRAM and up to 22GB ( highest I've seen ) of system RAM. But that's pretty understandable. This game. This amazing piece of software and engineering is a BEAST!

We have a game already out where Next Gen consoles would absolutely struggle to run on Ultra. It will be very interesting to see how well XSX handles it and at what settings.

To run this game at 4K Ultra @ 30fps requires hardware beyond what next gen consoles possess. Consoles would have to do some kind of "checkerboard up to 4K" thing and many of the settings would have to be turned down because they just don't have enough RAM. ( and are not powerful enough anyway )

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is true that FS2020 will uses 11GB of VRAM and up to 22GB ( highest I've seen ) of system RAM. But that's pretty understandable. This game. This amazing piece of software and engineering is a BEAST!

We have a game already out where Next Gen consoles would absolutely struggle to run on Ultra. It will be very interesting to see how well XSX handles it.

To run this game at 4K Ultra @ 30fps requires hardware beyond what next gen consoles possess. Consoles would have to do some kind of "checkerboard up to 4K" thing and many of the settings would have to be turned down becuse they just don't have enough RAM.

Let us see UE5 demo running on PC then we'll continue this convo.

Shrap

Jesus, that's a slow rollout. Surely they've been working on this for quite some time now?

My uselessly fast dual NVMe SSD setup continues to be useless.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Jesus, that's a slow rollout. Surely they've been working on this for quite some time now?

My uselessly fast dual NVMe SSD setup continues to be useless.

What motherboard are you using? Using dual NVMe usually eats from the main GPU power draw, one of them.

Shmunter

Doing a PR announcement so prematurely indicates a reaction with a product that is not ready even if in the works for a period . It’s a look, look, me too scenario. Suspect some mind popping software is coming on the consoles - powered by the competitor AMD.

I take no pleasure in this, I was exited by the announcement as it indicated a unified thrust forward benefiting the industry as a whole. Instead we have confirmation it’s all crickets on PC for the coming years.

Last edited:
You're a waste of time, but just pray that your PC doesn't crash when you just try to "open" the demo. Have a good night.

You know you're talking about the Unreal Engine right?

But for some reason you seem to believe it's going to run better.... on a console? LOL

You just wait for the Unreal Engine 5 to be publicly launched. Anyone and everyone will be able to download it and try it out for themselves. Just like we already can with Unreal Engine 4. And they will definitely be making that exact "PS5 demo" available.

You will see people talk about it ,right here on GAF, as they try it out on their PC's and have it running at far higher settings than 1440p and 30fps.

thelastword

Banned
You do realize that the I/O setup Nvidia spoke about is not ready for primetime......After the Epic demo and Sony and devs praising the SSD so much, they know they had to come on board or else....
MS needs to port flight sim to PS5 to truly show off the game.
That's not a bad idea tbh. All the low-rez textures that are being streamed in from google, could load in an instant at much higher rez....An FS 2020 with Nanite levels of texture quality and assets would be something now wouldn't it...

Shmunter

You know you're talking about the Unreal Engine right?

But for some reason you seem to believe it's going to run better.... on a console? LOL

You just wait for the Unreal Engine 5 to be publicly launched. Anyone and everyone will be able to download it and try it out for themselves. Just like we already can with Unreal Engine 4. And they will definitely be making that exact "PS5 demo" available.

You will see people talk about it ,right here on GAF, as they try it out on their PC's and have it running at far higher settings than 1440p and 30fps.
Until we see that, UE5 Demo is officially stated by the devs themselves it’s built around PS5 I/o. That’s the demo, not UE5 itself.

Is the demo scalable? Sure, it may just run with 1/4 the fidelity on a regular ssd for example. But we need to be specific when talking about what was shown vs what’s possible.

I can already tell you how the UE5 demo would run on PC - far better than it ran on the PS5.

FACT

What? Are you satisfied that the PS5 was only able to run it at 1440p and 30fps?

On your PC, maybe...Not on 90% of the PCs around the world. This simple fact seems to allude most people. The majority will look at PS5 and Series X games with envy.

Last edited:
On your PC, maybe...Not on 90% of the PCs around the world. This simple fact seems to allude most people. The majority will look at PS5 and Series X games with envy.

Yeah, but that's like saying "Sure games will look great on YOUR PS5, not on 90% of the consoles around the world. This simple fact seems to allude most people. The majority of people around the world would struggle to afford a PS3 and will look at PS5 graphics with envy."

That works both ways.

Shmunter

Yeah, but that's like saying "Sure games will look great on YOUR PS5, not on 90% of the consoles around the world. This simple fact seems to allude most people. The majority of people around the world would struggle to afford a PS3 and will look at PS5 graphics with envy."

That works both ways.
Consoles are mass market products. Applying niche outlooks to such products is counterintuitive. Mass adoption is key or it’s failed.

Consoles are mass market products. Applying niche outlooks to such products is counterintuitive. Mass adoption is key or it’s failed.

I understand what you're saying but PC GPUs are also mass market. No doubt MILLIONS of 3080s will be made and sold.

If you want to make the argument that not everyone can afford a 3080, that's fine but then the same argument can be made for a PS5. Not even close to everyone can afford that.

*opens up GAF*

*Finds PC oriented thread about RTX gpu's and direct storage*

*Sees the same triggered fanboys defending ps5, harder than ever*

Imagine being so big of a fanboy, Cerny's wife has to wait in line behind you guys for... ;)

Just type in "Cerny" in the search bar of each of these guys profiles, and see how many times they have mentioned him. This is embarrassing.

Faithless83

Banned
Wait... "They thought about it years in advance while developing next gen GPUs but it will not be available until 2021".

Yeah, PCMR... looks like a half-baked solution to me...

Isn't Cerny amazing? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
You're welcome guys!
Here's a reminder from Cerny to stay hydrated in such salty times:
amanda_cerny_bikini_138_water_photoshoot_10.jpg

pyrocro

Nvidia has a video card out for 2 years now that can do raytracing,
  • which was in development for at least 3 years
  • to meet a spec Microsoft wrote at least a year before that.
Yet you have these ass clowns here claiming
  • "guuh hu guh huh" it must mean it was rushed.
  • MS is trying to catch up.
  • No use in buying a 30 series card until next year.
why are there so many who are clueless and can't notice a PR trick when they are exposed to it?

putting that aside

MS is the one writing the spec you idiots.
Tim Sweeny and Cerny just restating a known problem publicly this year which MS had a solution for years ago in their SPEC, which Nvidia then invested Hundreds of millions to build their HARDWARE feature set around, YEARS AGO.
and you guys acting as though Nvidia and Ms are now getting clued in on the latest Idea is such wet horse shit.
How can one walk around, eat, sleep be around others with such a stench of stupidity?

FFS Tim and Cerny are engineers who would have known this solution was coming not prophets.

on top of all of this, we will be lucky to get more than one game which requires an NVME level of performance to existing well into 2021.

3070 already outperforms all consoles and will come out before.
Spend $500 drop it into your existing desktop PC and 4k 120 your game collection immediately.
or
Spend $500 and wait for consoles to catch up to PC.

Nvidia effectively killed the value proposition of consoles with the $499 3070 to anyone who has a PCI-E 3rd gen slot.
Direct Storace support was just Nvidia Twistin the knife, pulling it out and licking the blade.

Last edited:

Shmunter

why are there so many who are clueless and can't notice a PR trick when they are exposed to it?

putting that aside

Tim Sweeny and Cerny just restating a known problem publicly this year which MS had a solution for years ago in their SPEC, which Nvidia then invested Hundreds of millions to build their HARDWARE feature set around, YEARS AGO.
and you guys acting as though Nvidia and Ms are now getting clued in on the latest Idea is such wet horse shit.
How can one walk around, eat, sleep be around others with such a stench of stupidity?

FFS Tim and Cerny are engineers who would have known this solution was coming not prophets.

on top of all of this, we will be lucky to get more than one game which requires an NVME level of performance to existing well into 2021.

Spend $500 drop it into your existing desktop PC and 4k 120 your game collection immediately.
or

Nvidia effectively killed the value proposition of consoles with the $499 3070 to anyone who has a PCI-E 3rd gen slot.
Direct Storace support was just Nvidia Twistin the knife, pulling it out and licking the blade.
Did you read the material? RTX IO is not ready for another couple of years+, consoles are releasing this year allegedly. PC needs to do the catching up - the sooner the better for all of us. Lol

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned

putting that aside

or

Console solution is two months away from being in our hands. When is PC equivalent solution again?
Don't fret, we all know PC will have the "technology edge" at some point, just a while down to road. :messenger_sunglasses:
tenor.gif

I'm just here to see the crow dinner at the "SSD means nothing/UE5 can run on a laptop".
Watching people struggling to keep on their high horses is quite entertaining.

or

Ratchet and clank is a launch title and would require SSD.

I doubt pc exceeds console value proposition. Nvidia cards have come out cheaper than expected sure.

But components surrounding it would get expensive, ie SSD and processor.

Pc gaming performance would no longer depend solely on GPU in future like it used to. So nvidia is backing off on pricing.

AMD will of started work on it earlier I suspect as they designed Ps5, my gut feel is we are getting PR from Nvidia and mS and they are not as far down the road as they would like consumers to believe.

PR Sure worked though, I have had 100 arguments on GAF on this subject as you know. AMD are more likely to come with a solution as they can do CPU and GPU solutions.....but they still need windows 10 seeing to..

AMD designed PS5? I'm gonna assume you meant to say Sony there. AMD had engineers work with Sony engineers on PS5, and engineers to work with MS engineers on the Series systems.

I don't think what MS and NV are saying is PR; in fact you can see examples of GPUDirectStorage in action right now on Nvidia's channel. They have a series of DG1 computers networked together pulling data from Micron M100 SSDs for NASA data simulations, it's very impressive. General data amounts they were crunching was around 168 GB/s across the cluster of them networked together.

The thing is for something like DirectStorage and the use-cases it's being designed for you need to do lots of testing and certification. That takes time, even if it's been in the works for a very long time. Now DirectStorage itself may not've been in the works for, say, the past 10 years or so, but other R&D projects from other teams at companies like MS and NV have been working on I/O-related things for a long time, of course now is the optimal time for them to deploy that research into consumer-level products at a wider scale and in a way that can be leveraged across a range of hardware.

AMD, again, they've had the Radeon SSG cards since 2017. They might've been the first to market with such a thing AFAIK (dunno about that, have to research more), but it doesn't mean they were the first to deploy research into the field. In fact I think it's probably the opposite. As to say, they probably have lagged behind companies like Nvidia and Microsoft in capitalizing on early-phase R&D research of such technologies. Another way to look at it would be to say that, given the limited deployment of Radeon SSG cards, other companies simply waited until the market and tech were more mature before pushing on it. And at least in MS's case, they wanted something that could be utilized with a variety of different setups, leveraged by GPU manufacturers like NV and AMD, and more.

Hence why we probably only saw AMD out first with such a graphics card doing something something (but not exactly, and not as robustly) as what we're seeing NV deploy in three weeks to the public.

of course they can run UE5 Demo - it is anoucned to support everything right down to Switch. The big oof is now that only PS5 will have the Setting " Polygoncount " set to Ultra.
I was recently remebered in the german PCgameshardware.de Forum about this Demo..

It is for Console Lovers actually a interesting situation - Until Direct Storage API will be ready it will be at least to years. More until the first games will use it. So we are looking into a vakuum in that regards on PC, for the next 2 Years.
Plenty of time to prove the PCMS Defense Force here and elsewhere that Cerny Vision is indeed a Worldclass Storagesolution with real gaming merits besides fromfaster loading only..

You people seem to have no understanding of how the tech world actually works. DS is set to deploy next year en masse, not 2022. Devs do not have to wait until the new tech is literally available before developing with it in mind, either; they can develop around known and assumed feature support of the standard ahead of time, and port their progress over to the new standard when it is ready.

This is what devs are doing right now for eventual UE5 use; working in UE4, and porting their work over to UE5 once it's available. There's a good deal of portability to I/O systems devs can work with even if it may require rewriting in areas; effectiveness in quick porting comes down to the quality of the software code and the quality of the APIs. The latter isn't much a reason for concern, and the former shouldn't be an issue at least for bigger and modest-sized dev teams.

No one is using NV's work, GPUDirectStorage or DirectStorage as some kind of proxy attack against Sony's achievements with their SSD I/O. However, the fact some of you keep constantly drawing this comparison of your own volition, shows a lot of insecurities and worries on your end. It's a talking point you're using as a power grab and it's starting to look extremely desperate. There is room for more than one excellent next-gen I/O solution, even if that's among - gasp!! - multiple hardware vendors!

The sooner you realize that and realize that these developments with DirectStorage and GPUDirectStorage absolutely benefit 3rd-parties across the board, the sooner you can realize that this also benefits Sony, and therefore everyone wins. Except maybe Nintendo, but I'm sure they have been planning for something along these lines themselves, which should help them keep pace.

Stop viewing everything through a fanboy prism and you can better appreciate the qualities of a variety of solutions and offerings.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

This nVidia I/o stuff is not going to be functional by the time PS5 launches, or indeed any time real soon, and will have to be implemented on a per game basis. So we will have a little catching up to do. Let them have their thing

Shmunter

This nVidia I/o stuff is not going to be functional by the time PS5 launches, or indeed any time real soon, and will have to be implemented on a per game basis. So we will have a little catching up to do. Let them have their thing
It would be beneficial for pc to get it’s shit together sooner rather than later. Games on all systems then have a chance to target the higher spec instead of lowest common denominator. Lowest common denominator does no favours to those that are already above it.

Wait... "They thought about it years in advance while developing next gen GPUs but it will not be available until 2021".

Yeah, PCMR... looks like a half-baked solution to me...

Isn't Cerny amazing? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
You're welcome guys!
Here's a reminder from Cerny to stay hydrated in such salty times:
amanda_cerny_bikini_138_water_photoshoot_10.jpg
Did you read the material? RTX IO is not ready for another couple of years+, consoles are releasing this year allegedly. PC needs to do the catching up - the sooner the better for all of us. Lol
8K60+fps > 1440~30fps. No offense to you and your feelings. *Shrugs*

Last edited:
Sony bois are rejoicing but what this really means is that 3rd party devs will ignore this feature entirely until 2022 lmao

TJC

Sony bois are rejoicing but what this really means is that 3rd party devs will ignore this feature entirely until 2022 lmao
PC fans really buthurt that daddy NVIDIA couldn't come up with something better than a console. Enjoy your Frames and move on, SSD I/0 didn't matter a few months ago but now PC guys trying to get involved again 🤣.

PC fans really buthurt that daddy NVIDIA couldn't come up with something better than a console. Enjoy your Frames and move on, SSD I/0 didn't matter a few months ago but now PC guys trying to get involved again 🤣.

It still doesn't matter, apparently. At least until 2022.

TJC

It still doesn't matter, apparently. At least until 2022.
Of course not, not surprised. PS5 I/0 structure is custom and latency and priority levels in it are crazy. The fact it can use it's 5.5gb speed fully to fill the ram within 2 seconds is redicilous. The PC SSD's have nothing to reduce the bottlenecks in the actual SSD, all they have Is the GPU helping the CPU by compressing the data. 8k textures on PS5 unreal 5 demo was nuts, why PC gamers have to shit on anything that's improving the industry and moving it forward which Sony have clearly done is stupid.

pyrocro

Console solution is two months away from being in our hands. When is PC equivalent solution again?
2 months away is after the 17th of this month didn't the memo of how time works skip your desk. :messenger_sunglasses:

Don't fret, we all know PC will have the "technology edge" at some point, just a while down to road. :messenger_sunglasses:

tenor.gif

I'm just here to see the crow dinner at the "SSD means nothing/UE5 can run on a laptop".
Watching people struggling to keep on their high horses is quite entertaining.
The disdain for the PC is palpable in this one.
The only thing I'm here for is to see the idiots who think any of the major tech in these consoles will be exclusive to the console, after using all PC tech.

Last edited:

pyrocro

ok, let's make this simple to understand Name a game that's coming to Pc and console that will run worse on PC.

Top Bottom