• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4070 Ti review Thread

Buggy Loop

Local store has tons of these not selling.......overpriced?

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How sure you are about the price cut?

Not that i can't really wait for the end of march to buy a gpu...
Pretty safe bet at GTC.
Im sure AIBs have complained so much that the 4080 aint selling.
Either that or they announce the 4080'20G which would likely be the best GPU to get.

If they dont do either then im gonna be on the 4080'16G and will have sucked Nvidias dick.

GymWolf

Pretty safe bet at GTC.
Im sure AIBs have complained so much that the 4080 aint selling.
Either that or they announce the 4080'20G which would likely be the best GPU to get.

If they dont do either then im gonna be on the 4080'16G and will have sucked Nvidias dick.
Are you saying that i'm a cocksucker for buying a 4080?

i mean you are not wrong but it still hurts dude

I shitted on the prices/nvidia but I bit the bullet and bought one at msrp since they were in stock cuz i rly needed a better performance at 1440p than my 2080. I also was having issues with 2080 and had to undervolt it so rly had no choice. Dont give a shit about RTX that much, and I'm glad I can reach 160 fps in most games with dlss. I did test Witcher 3 with dlss 3 and I'll admit it runs good with all shebang but portal with rtx? feels like Im playing at 30 fps with 100 fps lmao. Absolute dogshit input delay. I also have A plague tales but have not tested it yet but the menu shows over 100 fps without DLFG so I prolly wont care about getting higher anyway since I'll be playing it with a controller and you rly dont need huge frames with that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I shitted on the prices/nvidia but I bit the bullet and bought one at msrp since they were in stock cuz i rly needed a better performance at 1440p than my 2080. I also was having issues with 2080 and had to undervolt it so rly had no choice. Dont give a shit about RTX that much, and I'm glad I can reach 160 fps in most games with dlss. I did test Witcher 3 with dlss 3 and I'll admit it runs good with all shebang but portal with rtx? feels like Im playing at 30 fps with 100 fps lmao. Absolute dogshit input delay. I also have A plague tales but have not tested it yet but the menu shows over 100 fps without DLFG so I prolly wont care about getting higher anyway since I'll be playing it with a controller and you rly dont need huge frames with that.
What brand/model do you bought?

I know a bunch of people that are either very well off from high salary or that can buy this as a colpany expense. Out of all these Inknow exactly one that has bought one.

One single person interested at these prices. Never seen that previously.

Spyxos

None of those benchmarks of the 3060Ti'G6X

As soon as the G6X came out my buddy got one, cuz no other "midrange" GPUs ever came back in stock.
Ive always been a xx70 owner and the person who i swapped my 3070 with still games with it.
And we all use 12400s and game at 1440p (Okay I game UW1440p)
So ive got a pretty good grasp of the differences between the 3060Ti'G6X, the 3070 and the 3080(mine).

The 3070 and 3060Ti'G6X are pretty much identical.
At native 1440p the G6X actually seems to be slightly faster.
Sure its not purely scientific cuz of all the different software we have installed and whatnot.
But if the 3070 was that much faster the G6X would never actually keep up......but ive seen it pull similar or better numbers in a lot of games.

I could try getting screenshots from their PCs this weekend.

Hell im pretty sure on this very forum there someone with a vanilla MSI 60Ti which keeps up with 3070s.
Yeah i have to agree. I have an 3060 ti and a 3070 and in some games there is like 2-3 fps difference, but there are games where it is more like 10+ It's strange that they are so often so close to each other.

Black_Stride

Yeah i have to agree. I have an 3060 ti and a 3070 and in some games there is like 2-3 fps difference, but there are games where it is more like 10+ It's strange that they are so often so close to each other.

Nvidia didnt want to waste slightly broken 3070 GA104s so they made the 60Ti...... it was so close to the 3070 for 100 dollars less it actually became the better deal.
So much so Nvidia even used broken 3080Ti GA103s in the 60Ti.
Not only that, they refreshed it again with GDDR6X effectively completely replacing the 3070.

Damn I just looked at the prices of these cards again at MSRP, we really were eating good in 2020?
I owned 3 RTX30 and their combined cost doesnt equal one Strix 4080?
3060Ti - 400
3070 - 500
3080 - 700
Total - 1600

Strix 4080 - 1800 on newegg right now

Did I accidentally jump into an alternate timeline where this all makes sense?

Spyxos

Nvidia didnt want to waste slightly broken 3070 GA104s so they made the 60Ti...... it was so close to the 3070 for 100 dollars less it actually became the better deal.
So much so Nvidia even used broken 3080Ti GA103s in the 60Ti.
Not only that, they refreshed it again with GDDR6X effectively completely replacing the 3070.

Damn I just looked at the prices of these cards again at MSRP, we really were eating good in 2020?
I owned 3 RTX30 and their combined cost doesnt equal one Strix 4080?
3060Ti - 400
3070 - 500
3080 - 700
Total - 1600

Strix 4080 - 1800 on newegg right now

Did I accidentally jump into an alternate timeline where this all makes sense?
You got them pretty cheap. Why did you have 3 cards?

Black_Stride

You got them pretty cheap. Why did you have 3 cards?
Other than being a hobby builder for friends and friends of friends (so ive actually had a ton of RTX30s in my possession at one point or another).

But for my personal rig.
I got the 3060Ti first cuz I was happy with that performance and it all but matched the 3070 at 1440p.
A buddy of mine needed a new GPU ASAP(bring it and install it nao!!! I dont have an iGPU), so I sold it to him for a decent deal.
Put a couple dollars in and got the 3070.
Cryptoboom happens and LHR cards show up, someone decides to be a genius and effectively swap my FHR 3070 for an LHR 3080.

Ironically the first LHR hack happened shortly after and the 3080 was pulling similar or better hashrates than the FHR 3070.
Then of course it was completely beaten so im sure he felt buyers remorse but im merciless to miners so no take-backs.

Dont tell anyone, but I also got a 3080'12G for basically pocket change cuz the 3080'12G never got the LHR hack and was abysmal for mining.
It could almost match the 3080Ti in performance.

Now im just waiting for GTC Spring to see if the 4080'16G gets a price cut and or if the 4080'20G gets announced.
If neither of those things happen.....imma be a cocksucker and buy a 4080'16G.
I already have a contact willing to hold a non-OC model for me......well he doesnt really have much of a choice he is failing to sell his cards.

Rickyiez

Other than being a hobby builder for friends and friends of friends (so ive actually had a ton of RTX30s in my possession at one point or another).

But for my personal rig.
I got the 3060Ti first cuz I was happy with that performance and it all but matched the 3070 at 1440p.
A buddy of mine needed a new GPU ASAP(bring it and install it nao!!! I dont have an iGPU), so I sold it to him for a decent deal.
Cryptoboom happens and LHR cards show up, someone decides to be a genius and effectively swap my FHR 3070 for an LHR 3080.

Ironically the first LHR hack happened shortly after and the 3080 was pulling similar or better hashrates than the FHR 3070.
Then of course it was completely beaten so im sure he felt buyers remorse but im merciless to miners so no take-backs.

Dont tell anyone, but I also got a 3080'12G for basically pocket change cuz the 3080'12G never got the LHR hack and was abysmal for mining.

Now im just waiting for GTC Spring to see if the 4080'16G gets a price cut and or if the 4080'20G gets announced.
I already have a contact willing to hold a non-OC model for me......well he doesnt really have much of a choice he is failing to sell his cards.
I've a similar story. Bought RTX 3080 at msrp, then sold it for double the purchase price and got a 3080Ti at its msrp.

All good for now, anything less than 4090 isn't even a worth upgrade

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Best Buy got my 4070ti in early so grabbed it tonight with kids before bedtime.

R6ChHjt.jpg

Fits like a glove in my NZXT H1v2. Fuck with it tomrrow.
congrats. .. Are they sold out where you live? they are every where in Canada. no store sold out of 4070ti and 4080 since release.

Last edited:

.hacked

well I mean.. Are they sold out where you live? they are every where in Canada. no store sold out of 4070ti and 4080 since release.
cant say sold out but not going to walk into a store and find one locally best can do is order online and have shipped to store. That is what I did with this 4070ti I ordered on the morning they launched, my pickup date was the 12th but got the email it was ready. Funny thing while with kids picking up another couple came in for same card for pick up. All of us were excited to get pickup email early.

Using this on a 1440p screen and played a little cyberpunk and with matching setting runs a good 10-15fps faster than the 4080 system I have, but the 4080 is pushing out 4k.

so if you are looking for a 1440p card this thig is amazing

It seems like the days of 8GB GPUs are over. 4070ti is 2-3x faster compared to 3070ti in doom eternal, and 2x faster in WD legions and Forza horizon 5.

Screenshot-20230115-153325-You-Tube.jpg

Last edited:

clampzyn

The days of 8GB GPUs are over. 4070ti is 2-3x faster compared to 3070ti in doom eternal, and 2x faster in WD legions and Forza horizon 5.

2x-3x faster coz of fake frames and sorry to say DLSS 3 still has a lot of issue and not every game will support it

Last edited:
2x-3x faster coz of fake frames and sorry to say DLSS 3 still has a lot of issue and not every game will support it
There are few DLSSx3 tests in this video, but in such case you can see clear information about that. Doom eternal, forza horizon 5, WD Legion however dont have this DLSSx3 information, so it seems these are native 1440p results (DLSS off).

4070ti has around 10GB VRAM usage in these games, and VRAM limitation can also explain such huge difference. I was using 2GB GPU in the past and I still remember what happened what my GPU run out of VRAM, performance was cut in half and sometimes even more.

Last edited:

clampzyn

There are few DLSSx3 tests in this video, but in such case you can see clear information about that. Doom eternal, forza horizon 5, WD Legion however dont have this DLSSx3 information, so it seems these are native 1440p results (DLSS off).

4070ti has around 10GB VRAM usage in these games, and VRAM limitation can also explain such huge difference. I was using 2GB GPU in the past and I still remember what happened what my GPU run out of VRAM, performance was cut in half and sometimes even more.
yea so a 3060 with 12gb is better than a 3070ti now coz of vram limitation? thing is not every developer will target high amount of vram for their games since people will be still sitting around 6-8gb cards for a while and they will always make an option for lower res textures for this cards, so saying 2-3x performance coz of this limitation isn't 100% accurate.

Last edited:
yea so a 3060 with 12gb is better than a 3070ti now coz of vram limitation? thing is not every developer will target high amount of vram for their games since people will be still sitting around 6-8gb cards for a while and they will always make an option for lower res textures for this cards, so saying 2-3x performance coz of this limitation isn't 100% accurate.

Far cry 6, native 4K (no DLSSx3). 3070ti has 18fps, while 4070ti 73fps, that's huge difference, so it's very possible that 3060 12GB can be also faster in VRAM limited games.

far-cry-6-rt-3840-2160.png

clampzyn

Far cry 6, native 4K (no DLSSx3). 3070ti has 18fps, while 4070ti 73fps, that's huge difference, so it's very possible that 3060 12GB can be also faster in VRAM limited games.

far-cry-6-rt-3840-2160.png
yea RT @ 4k takes a lot of VRAM so another vram limited example game? 3070ti was never meant for 4k gaming anyway specially 4k with RT

Last edited:
yea RT @ 4k takes a lot of VRAM so another vram limited example game? 3070ti was never meant for 4k gaming anyway specially 4k with RT

Even at 1440p and no RT some games clearly benefits from more VRAM and keep in mind the gap between 3070ti and 4070ti will only widen with time, because more games will use RT, so 8GB VRAM will be not enough even at lower resolutions. Of course you can always lower textures settings on 8GB GPUs, but I dont think people who paid a premium for 3070ti 8GB (not so long time ago) will be happy with low textures settings. To me it seems like Nv is intentionally gimping their GPUs, because they know GPU with insufficient VRAM will not last for long. No ampere GPU besides RTX3050 should be equipped with only 8GB. What's crazy even 3060 had 12GB version, while 3060ti and 3070 was only 8GB.

Also I'm not so sure if ever 12GB will suffice for long, because at 4K there are already some games that use more than 12GB, so there's stutters even on 4070ti (and especially with DLSS frame generation, because this feature eats VRAM a lot as well). 4070ti cost a premium and should have 16GB, like radeon 7900.

Screenshot-20230115-164440-Samsung-Internet-2.jpg

Screenshot-20230115-165612-Samsung-Internet-2.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Edited out, was a fool, totally missed some deals.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Just snagged a 1-year-used 3080ti on eBay for £710 ($877?) as an upgrade to a 3070. These new cards are just horrendously priced.

3080ti will get me 4k120 in plenty of games using da voodoo and probably run a lot of older stuff natively. Pretty happy with that.
You could get a 4070ti for that price? Or not in your country?

Denton

Just snagged a 1-year-used 3080ti on eBay for £710 ($877?) as an upgrade to a 3070. These new cards are just horrendously priced.
That...still seems to be horrendously priced 3080Ti. I got mine three months ago for $600 and 18 month warranty left.
For $877 you should have been able to get 4070Ti, which is slightly faster and has DLSS3.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

TVexperto

But for my personal rig.

Are there rumors of a price drop at GTC spring?

Zug

I did bite the bullet and grabbed a 900€ (MSRP) 4070Ti when it was available.
All the alternatives were worse, the closest price/perf match would have been a cheap used 3080, but these still sell like pancakes for 500-600€ (700-800€ for used 3080Ti's), so not worth it for an usually 2-3 y old used GPU.

I paid £900 for the 3080, but there is no way on earth I’d pay that for a 70 series card. Nvidia needs reigning in - maybe Steam Deck will do it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You could get a 4070ti for that price? Or not in your country?
That...still seems to be horrendously priced 3080Ti. I got mine three months ago for $600 and 18 month warranty left.
For $877 you should have been able to get 4070Ti, which is slightly faster and has DLSS3.

I had COMPLETELY missed 4070ti at RRP. Wow. I have no idea how that passed me by, I swore the ones I checked out recently were massively marked up.

Good shout, thanks guys.

Top Bottom