• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4070 Ti review Thread

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yes? Every leak is pricing the card in continental Europe between 1050 to 1200€ (so even accounting for that 875€ card 175€ to 325€),
The 4070 TI makes the 7900 XT and the 4080 look good in comparison.Don't excuse their crappy coolaid, the 4070 ti isn't that good.
We are not talking about 100 euros, we are talking 200 to 300, you need to be a gigantic Nvidia fanboy to say that the 4070ti is 300€ better than the 6950xt.
It’s not far from true they’ve often been at that price point, even at 870€ it’s still 200 to 300 below the expected price for the 4070ti, it’s not “close”. It’s still terrible value.
Again I wouldn’t buy it at that price, but give that the 4070 ti will be well above 1000 even online in europe and even worse on your local retail Belgium stores, it’s just comical.
abc637228103927b9184f9d6b8638e7e_w200.gif

amdddddd.jpg

There's only one sniffing stuff here, go to Spec Savers if you think DLSS is better than native 4K in motion.

First, Assetto Corsa Competizione.
Second, you don't see trails because DLSS disables the awful low sample TAA the game uses, that's what causing the trails. You should see that the game gets massively blurry even in DLSS Quality at 4K compared to even the TAA mess at Native, flicketring also become a big issue.
I don't know how you can miss that. unless you are "sniffin that white line" or that cool aid.

Third, it's hilarious that you use ACC, because the ACC community actually recommends FSR Ultra Quality over DLSS even on Nvidia, but I'm not mad enough to claim it's better than DLSS, so I'll just file that under game that bad DLSS implementation. Interesting example though.

Who to choose, Techspot with 16 games or TPU with 25, what a conundrum.
"ACC community" random 5 guys who don't know shit about what they talk about lol. They think that the standard oversharpening (standard FSR sharpening set to 80 XD) of FSR1 (worst upscaler ever) looks better than the clean and sharp image of DLSS 2.0 hahaha. And you can easily replace the old DLSS with the new one which improves the iq massively. Please tell me mr coolaid which one of the images looks better to you, they both from the same replay with motion blur off same settings and same sharpness everything.
ACC1.jpg

ACC3.jpg

SomeGit

"ACC community" random 5 guys who don't know shit about what they talk about lol. They think that the standard oversharpening (standard FSR sharpening set to 80 XD) of FSR1 (worst upscaler ever) looks better than the clean and sharp image of DLSS 2.0 hahaha. And you can easily replace the old DLSS with the new one which improves the iq massively. Please tell me mr coolaid which one of the images looks better to you, they both from the same replay with motion blur off same settings and same sharpness everything.
ACC1.jpg

ACC3.jpg

Top one looks better, but it’s hard to tell because of the JPEG compression. To be fair they don’t look that much different.

I don’t know why you are so mad, I said I agree that DLSS is better, but they aren’t the difference you were saying like “300€” worth of it. I just found the example funny.

You can also mod FSR 2 in, you can do that in any DLSS 2 game.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Top one looks better, but it’s hard to tell because of the JPEG compression. To be fair they don’t look that much different.

I don’t know why you are so mad, I said I agree that DLSS is better, but they aren’t the difference you were saying like “300€” worth of it. I just found the example funny.

You can also mod FSR 2 in, you can do that in any DLSS 2 game.
Im really not mad im just getting tired. Atleast we agree on one point, the most important one. They are all fucking expensive and overpriced. But atleast the 4070 ti is selling at MSRP currently here, which is still overpriced but still decent in this shitty market. And yes the top one was DLSS and the bottom one was FSR. The jpeg compression is because of the hosting site.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
[/URL]

These prices CAN'T be real life, lmao!!!

I'm sorry, you're a fool if you buy the 4070 Ti at anything close to these prices. Flat out.

Damn, prices as high as $1050 for mid range. Anyone believing this is increased production costs has their head up their ass.
This is the card Nvidia was going to sell for $900 msrp, but easily shaved $100 off like it was nothing.

These prices will drive people away from PC gaming, and we’ll have Nvidia and AMD to thank for it.

MacReady13

This is how nvidia wins my children.

"This one is the least dog shite, wooohoooo!!!"

0Z5jU2a.jpg

We're fooked I say, fooked!
These are the prices today my friend. I have waited over 3 years to build a gaming PC. I am not waiting any longer. Last time I purchased a GPU was a 980 and it cost me $800 brand new. Exorbitant then but a steal now. This is what it is. I can't just approx $2500 for a 4080 and can barely just $1500 for a 4070 ti but I will go for the cheaper model and see how it goes for me.

lmimmfn

The price of this card will be reduced if people hold out. It may take 1 or 2 Nvidia Quarterly results to happen but it will happen

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
But it's not? The 3070 is around 25% faster than the 3060 Ti.
The 3060Ti'6X is something like 10% at most behind the 3070.
In terms of actual FPS its basically nothing.
In fact in many games they will be exactly equal or the 6X will win.

RPxWrIr.png

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I've purchased Nvidia top end cards on release from 780Ti->980Ti->1080Ti.

My 1080Ti after just under 6 years is still fantastic.

I havnt purchased a top end card since, even though I have the money, snd won't purchase. I'll buy a PS5 before I give stupid money for Nvidia crap.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: amc

lmimmfn

Fair enough.

Your names Leonidas (The name of my PC ironically) so you just need to spend the big bucks and get that 4090!!!! EDIT: And another case, lmao

I've purchased Nvidia top end cards on release from 780Ti->980Ti->1080Ti.

My 1080Ti after just under 6 years is still fantastic.

I havnt purchased a top end card since, even though I have the money, snd won't purchase. I'll buy a PS5 before I give stupid moneThthis site is shot on mobiley for Nvidia crap.

Kacho

Gold Member
My GPU has shipped and is on the way. So fucking hyped to have a beefy GPU for my 1440p ultrawide. Just in time for Starfield too.

Just checked and it’s out of stock. Glad I snagged one for MSRP while I could.

Pejo

Just now seeing this. Eh. I'll just wait for the 4080 to drop down a bit and jump in there. I really want the 16GB so it hopefully lasts me for a few years with the ballooning resource usage in modern games.

Buggy Loop

Dude AMD is insane. They knew another nv card would be coming out. That 7900 XT should have been 750 bucks.

Edit: and even $750 is expensive

7900 XTX is too expensive
7900 XT is too expensive

4080 is too expensive
4080 4070 Ti 12GB is too expensive

Honestly, only 4090 makes sense so far this gen and that's premium 1% marketshare.

I'm not sure where we're heading but i'm in no rush to upgrade with a 3080 Ti anyway. The mid range is gonna be absolute trash this gen unless we see a massive price drop from the above cards.

RDNA 2 deep discount or a used Ampere is the best move as of now. Maybe that's really what they want us to think..

Topher

Gold Member
7900 XT is too expensive

4080 is too expensive

Honestly, only 4090 makes sense so far this gen and that's premium 1% marketshare.

I'm not sure where we're heading but i'm in no rush to upgrade with a 3080 Ti anyway. The mid range is gonna be absolute trash this gen unless we see a massive price drop from the above cards.

RDNA 2 deep discount or a used Ampere is the best move as of now. Maybe that's really what they want us to think..

So what do you think the new crop of GPU (4080, 7090 XT/XTX should be priced?

Crayon

7900 XT is too expensive

4080 is too expensive

These things having to slot in to a market with overstocks of last Gen cards is the only explanation that makes me feel less crazy pills. It sucks, but at least it makes sense.

Buggy Loop

So what do you think the new crop of GPU (4080, 7090 XT/XTX should be priced?

Not sure many peoples would agree with me but oh well. Here's what i think would make this gen a lot more attractive considering the current economic problems.

3080 $699 • 4080 $849
6800 XT $649 • 7900 XTX $799
6800 $579 • 7900 XT $649 (slightly more gimped compared to a 6800, but 6700XT is too much of a drop)
3070 $499 • 4070 Ti $579 (3070 here being a match to the 2080 Ti, this fares better for 1440p, worse at 4k)

More expensive than last gen, due to inflation, TSMC's earlier problems with wafer availability, US sanctions.

I picked what i find is more comparable to last gen and actually I'm being generous on Nvidia here because if we compare silicon area / transistors from 4080 vs 4090 and compare it to 3080 and 3090, it would fall lower the stack and compare to a 3070 vs 3090. But then the AMD flagship would be competing equivalent to a x070 card. Not sure what happened with Ada lovelace. Is it TSMC's yields being so good that they have to really make AD103 for 4080 over just binning a 4090? Was Samsung yields so bad that since they tried to make 3090, they got all kinds of binning and decided to make 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, 3090 Ti, all on GA102?

There's no room left between a 4080 and a 4090 in price that would make any sense. You go from 379 mm^2 to 608 mm^2 in the span of $400. There's no way something in the middle of that stack would make sense. For $200 difference, you either kill the 4080 value or you simply make the jump to 4090 really if it's a 495-500 mm^2 chip.

It's a weird gen. I found it fascinating how the 4080's low silicon even managed to compete against AMD flagship's to be honest, an engineering curiosity, but i don't recommend either to buy.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure many peoples would agree with me but oh well. Here's what i think would make this gen a lot more attractive considering the current economic problems.

3080 $699 • 4080 $849
6800 $579 • 7900 XT $649 (slightly more gimped compared to a 6800, but 6700XT is too much of a drop)
3070 $499 • 4070 Ti $579 (3070 here being a match to the 2080 Ti, this fares better for 1440p, worse at 4k)

More expensive than last gen, due to inflation, TSMC's earlier problems with wafer availability, US sanctions.

I picked what i find is more comparable to last gen and actually I'm being generous on Nvidia here because if we compare silicon area / transistors from 4080 vs 4090 and compare it to 3080 and 3090, it would fall lower the stack and compare to a 3070 vs 3090. But then the AMD flagship would be competing equivalent to a x070 card. Not sure what happened with Ada lovelace. Is it TSMC's yields being so good that they have to really make AD103 for 4080 over just binning a 4090? Was Samsung yields so bad that since they tried to make 3090, they got all kinds of binning and decided to make 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, 3090 Ti, all on GA102?

There's no room left between a 4080 and a 4090 in price that would make any sense. You go from 379 mm^2 to 608 mm^2 in the span of $400. There's no way something in the middle of that stack would make sense. For $200 difference, you either kill the 4080 value or you simply make the jump to 4090 really if it's a 495-500 mm^2 chip.

It's a weird gen. I found it fascinating how the 4080's low silicon even managed to compete against AMD flagship's to be honest, an engineering curiosity, but i don't recommend either to buy.

I think your pricing makes total sense as comparison from last gen, inflation adjustment, etc. But as weird as it sounds. I also kind of think those prices are too cheap in the current climate. 7090 XTX is still sold out everywhere that I can see. Scalpers on ebay, amazon and newegg are charging absurd prices, as they do. If the 4080 launched at $1000, I think we would see the same result. I guess the question is how will it take for demand to cool off.

Buggy Loop

I think your pricing makes total sense as comparison from last gen, inflation adjustment, etc. But as weird as it sounds. I also kind of think those prices are too cheap in the current climate. 7090 XTX is still sold out everywhere that I can see. Scalpers on ebay, amazon and newegg are charging absurd prices, as they do. If the 4080 launched at $1000, I think we would see the same result. I guess the question is how will it take for demand to cool off.

Question is how long that will last.

7900 XT is found almost everywhere akin to 4080. 7900 XT is an upsell card for the 7900 XTX much like the 4080 is an upsell card for the 4090. Once the "diehard" fans are done buying a flagship 4090 and 7900 XTX in the respective camps, what now? These are niche cards that barely budge the needle in market share. Something will have to give.

I'm not sure we would see as much as a frenzy as the Ampere-RDNA 2 cards at the prices i suggested, with the crash of crypto.. Can't be worse.

Damn you ppl still arguing about the prices. Pointless shit, nvidia controls the market, they can do whatever they want, plus the fact that we apparently live in harder times yet not much changed pre-covid but somehow everything had to become more expensive for "reasons" lol but thats beside the point. Waiting for 5k wont change much, it'll be the same shit. If you own a 3k gpu then yeah, wait, but if youre at 2k or lower, I see no reason not to bite on the 4k series, including the 70ti not only you gain at least twice the performance but you will prolly gain three times with DLSS 3. You DONT have to upgrade at least if you're still on 1080p and dont care much about raytracing but if you do, this is prolly the best way. That being said, fuck Nvidia and all other corpo scums.

Last edited:

PeteBull

3080 $699 • 4080 $849

From what i can tell actual 700€ streetprice(instead of current 900€) will make those cards fly off the shelves, so very likely u are spot on with the 579$ msrp, but till it happens i think we need to wait few solid months, and hope no crypto boom resurgance happens.

Banned

not a very confidence inducing test here as he thinks it's a good idea to test Fortnite performance in the lobby area, where the engine stutters every time a player skin is loaded in and if its a skin you didnzsee yet it will also have shader stutters on top of IO stutters.

Banned
Not being funny, how it is better in several ways? (Mind you, I think the 7900 XT is way overpriced, too)

4070 Ti vs. 7900 XT
  • Parity at Raytracing for the most part
  • loses at 4K
  • loses at raster
4070 Ti is technically better at starting price? I guess DLSS3 if that's your thing. Power consumption is the real winner for the 4070 Ti.

the 4070ti is cheaper and only a tiny bit behind in raster.

it beats the 7900xt in demanding RT games, it's not equal at all.

it has DLSS support for both upscaling and frame generation.
DLSS is still better than FSR2.1 both in performance and quality.
and then you have frame generation, where you can get really good results for high refresh monitors.

the biggest issue of AMD currently is that their 900 class GPU is battling head to head with Nvidia's 70 class... which some argue should actually be a 60ti not a 70ti based on the cutbacks... that's the biggest fail here.
because the 70 class Nvidia card should normally be 2 steps below AMD's 900 class, at the very least in rasterization, but it isn't even close to that

and that's what I meant when I said that Nvidia can only price their cards so high because AMD is too shit to compete.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm sorry, your pc has a...name?
Absolutely. My dream build is named Leonidas (Because he was a World Beater) and my living room PC that I'm in the middle of gathering the last parts for will be named Maximus, because, another world beater.
the 4070ti is cheaper and only a tiny bit behind in raster.

it beats the 7900xt in demanding RT games, it's not equal at all.

it has DLSS support for both upscaling and frame generation.
DLSS is still better than FSR2.1 both in performance and quality.
and then you have frame generation, where you can get really good results for high refresh monitors.

the biggest issue of AMD currently is that their 900 class GPU is battling head to head with Nvidia's 70 class... which some argue should actually be a 60ti not a 70ti based on the cutbacks... that's the biggest fail here.
because the 70 class Nvidia card should normally be 2 steps below AMD's 900 class, at the very least in rasterization, but it isn't even close to that

and that's what I meant when I said that Nvidia can only price their cards so high because AMD is too shit to compete.
DLSS3 is better than FSR 2.1 and 2.2, no doubt about it. But as I told Leonidas, you're being disingenuous if you're saying FSR 2.1 is complete dog water and unusable compared to DLSS1 and FSR1. It's below DLSS3 for sure, but more than capable to stand on its own compared to its previous version. And that frame generation is garbage. For both AMD And Nvidia. Please don't talk to me about fake frames. (That's just a personal opinion, lol) And I agree AMD had a major misstep with their naming scheme this go around compared to the performance of the cards. The 7900 XT should've been the 7800 XT flat out. And lastly, once again, both the 4070 Ti and 7900 XT are priced absurdly. Yet Nvidia and AMD know people will buy them at goofy prices.

And Nvidia can price their cards so high because of just blind mindshare and FOMO. "Wow, this 4080 is priced to high. I'm gonna buy it anyway" Instead of waiting and showing Nvidia you're not going to play their pricing games. Or when you have folks buying 3050's with far inferior performance to a 6600 non XT, but they'll grab that Nvidia card because of its green logo and talks of DLSS. Nvidia could be checked, but the consumers can't help themselves.

Orta

Banned
What's really pissing me off is the fact last gen cards are still a fucking rip-off. I priced a 3060ti this morning at €552 +€12 postage and close to €100 import duty. Almost €700 for a last gen mid-range card ffs!

That's just fucking insane, nVidia should slash the price of their old stock once the new cards are out, of course that would mean them respecting their customers which they clearly can't be doing the gouging bastards.

Topher

Gold Member
What's really pissing me off is the fact last gen cards are still a fucking rip-off. I priced a 3060ti this morning at €552 +€12 postage and close to €100 import duty. Almost €700 for a last gen mid-range card ffs!

That's just fucking insane, nVidia should slash the price of their old stock once the new cards are out, of course that would mean them respecting their customers which they clearly can't be doing the gouging bastards.

That's because corporations respect their stockholders more than their customers. If customers are buying old stock at current prices then the price isn't going change. Stockholders want that revenue.

thuGG_pl

That's really weird pricing. In Poland the 3060 Ti starts from ~€450-470 including 23% VAT.

rnlval

3080 $699 • 4080 $849

AD102 has 576 TMUs (load-store units for compute shaders) and 144 RT cores (GeForce RTX 4090 SKU has 128 RT cores with 512 TMUs). NVIDIA has yet to release the full AD102 RTX 4090 Ti and slightly cut down/lower cost AD102 RTX 4080 Ti SKUs.

NAVI 31 has 384 TMUs (load-store units for compute shaders) and 96 RT cores (NAVI 31 has 96 CU). Happened to the 128 CU/128 RT cores version? NAVI 31 is missing about 33% of TMUs and RT cores when compared to GeForce RTX 4090 SKU.

At per CU basis, the Radeon team scaled Stream Processors by 2X without scaling TMUs.... this is VEGA level BS TFLOPS PR.

Both AD102 (and NAVI 31 have 192 ROPS.

NAVI 31 has a 520 mm² chip area size
AD103 has a 379 mm² chip area size
AD102 has a 608 mm² chip area size

Last edited:

Banned
DLSS3 is better than FSR 2.1 and 2.2, no doubt about it. But as I told Leonidas, you're being disingenuous if you're saying FSR 2.1 is complete dog water and unusable compared to DLSS1 and FSR1. It's below DLSS3 for sure, but more than capable to stand on its own compared to its previous version. And that frame generation is garbage. For both AMD And Nvidia. Please don't talk to me about fake frames. (That's just a personal opinion, lol) And I agree AMD had a major misstep with their naming scheme this go around compared to the performance of the cards. The 7900 XT should've been the 7800 XT flat out. And lastly, once again, both the 4070 Ti and 7900 XT are priced absurdly. Yet Nvidia and AMD know people will buy them at goofy prices.

And Nvidia can price their cards so high because of just blind mindshare and FOMO. "Wow, this 4080 is priced to high. I'm gonna buy it anyway" Instead of waiting and showing Nvidia you're not going to play their pricing games. Or when you have folks buying 3050's with far inferior performance to a 6600 non XT, but they'll grab that Nvidia card because of its green logo and talks of DLSS. Nvidia could be checked, but the consumers can't help themselves.

FSR2 is pretty good for sure. but if you have the choice between a 7900xt and a 4070ti, the 4070ti just looks like the better deal in a bunch of ways.

in a perfect world AMD's 900 class cards would be head to head with Nvidia's 90 class cards while also being priced like they currently are.
in that world Nvidia couldn't price their 70 class cards that high and would need to react even with their 90 class card pricings.

RDNA just seems to evolve extremely slowly, maybe because they completely misread the market with RDNA1 and are now basically stuck with an architecture that was not meant to do what the market needs it to do.

when your highest end cards only competes with the mid-range cards of your competition, then that's a huge issue.

we really need to hope that either AMD gets their shit together and the RDNA4 can finally compete with Nvidia...
or that Intel's Battlemage completely takes the midnrange by storm

Dr.D00p

the 4070ti just looks like the better deal in a bunch of ways.

Its a total POS for 4K gaming.

That measly 192bit bus and 12GB VRAM is going to get found out pretty quickly.

...and I'm willing to bet the first game to truly show its limitations at 4K is only a couple of months away, Starfield.

Banned
Its a total POS for 4K gaming.

That measly 192bit bus and 12GB VRAM is going to get found out pretty quickly.

...and I'm willing to bet the first game to truly show its limitations at 4K is only a couple of months away, Starfield.

you can't use either card for 4k gaming if you want decent framerates in modern games, and with current tests the 4070ti is very close to the 7900xt in 4k.

both of these cards should only be used for 1440p or 4k using reconstruction like DLSS and FSR2.

if Starfield has any RT support and DLSS support then it will be better played on a 4070ti without question

Last edited:

Kenpachii

you can't use either card for 4k gaming if you want decent framerates in modern games, and with current tests the 4070ti is very close to the 7900xt in 4k.

both of these cards should only be used for 1440p or 4k using reconstruction like DLSS and FSR2.

if Starfield has any RT support and DLSS support then it will be better played on a 4070ti without question

Nvidia to bethesda, hey we want to sponsor you for DLSS3.0, u can optimize even less now !

PnCIa

or that Intel's Battlemage completely takes the midnrange by storm
Is there a reason why you believe this could happen? I dont see how the successor to an oversized (die size vs performance) and inefficient chip from a manufacturer that has only recently dabbled in higher end GPUs can do magic leaps all of the sudden.

Erebus

Is the 4070 Ti a decent enough card for 1440p gaming if I can find it below 1000€?

FYI I'm still on 1060 6GB

Banned
Is there a reason why you believe this could happen? I dont see how the successor to an oversized (die size vs performance) and inefficient chip from a manufacturer that has only recently dabbled in higher end GPUs can do magic leaps all of the sudden.

they launched a first generation card that instantly beat AMD both in RT performance and upscaling technology.
all of that at a price that competed with similarly performing cards.

all they have to do is fix their drivers and improve on what they got.

their tech absolutely seems more promising than AMD's.

AMD currently has their highest end cards compate against Nvidia's mid-range.
that's not something that gives me confidence in their ability to turn this ship around.

Banned
Is the 4070 Ti a decent enough card for 1440p gaming if I can find it below 1000€?

technically no, but at the current market climate sadly yes :/

but I'd say below 900€ is more like it even with the current price nonsense

Last edited:

More than decent. Its a huge upgrade for you if you have the money. Make sure you have the PSU ready for it tho, you need 3 8 pin cables and min 750W PSU.

MacReady13

You are part of the problem.
Please explain? What would you like someone like me to do when I have waited YEARS for a build and now, with these cards not getting any cheaper (even though I've waited for those 3000 series cards to drop) you want me to wait longer for a supposed drop in price? It ain't happening regardless. I held off buying the 3000 series due to high prices and, even when people stopped buying the 3000 series, Nvidia didn't drop the prices significantly so what the hell can I do? Wait for the 5000 series and hope they are cheaper?

scydrex

Please explain? What would you like someone like me to do when I have waited YEARS for a build and now, with these cards not getting any cheaper (even though I've waited for those 3000 series cards to drop) you want me to wait longer for a supposed drop in price? It ain't happening regardless. I held off buying the 3000 series due to high prices and, even when people stopped buying the 3000 series, Nvidia didn't drop the prices significantly so what the hell can I do? Wait for the 5000 series and hope they are cheaper?
Get a used 3080 or a 3090 cheaper. If not a 7900xtx.

Last edited:
Get a used 3080 or a 3090 cheaper. If not a 7900xtx.

Dont listen to this advice. Prices for 3k series will most likely never be cheaper, and you're going to lack DLSS 3 when it actually becomes a great feature. Atm it has some issues but im sure with time, it'll be much better to go for a 4k especially considering the ray/path tracing future is getting closer.

Top Bottom