• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4070 Review Thread

Hot5pur

I wonder if consoles using AMD has an impact on AMDs GPU pricing strategy.
Nvidia has way more resources for development and they lead in technology. If AMD tried to undercut them too much Nvidia can respond and nothing will happen to market share, just both parties will make less money. So AMD just tags along with whatever Nvidia's pricing happens to be with $100 off.

JackMcGunns

Is this a trick?

"Hey Gamers, we're going to lower the price of the new GPUs"

*Applause

"Pst, engineers, I need you to recreate a 3080 ti with today's tech, do not spend a dime more"

*Rebrands 3080ti as the 4070.

:messenger_fearful:

Smiggs

Is this a trick?

*Applause

"Pst, engineers, I need you to recreate a 3080 ti with today's tech, do not spend a dime more"

Well the 4070 is way more cut down than the 3080 Ti, just look at the cuda core count. Part of the reason the 3080 pulls ahead of the 4070 in higher resolutions.

Skifi28

Is this a trick?

*Applause

The 4070 is below a 3080 in some benchmarks, I wish it matched a ti.

Bue hey DLSS3. Omg twice the performance of a 3080!!!!1

Last edited:

Leonidas

No regrets here paying $600, but it would be a good idea to drop the price on the AIBs. I think I heard that the FE sold out within a few hours in the US (and the FE is still sold out today in the US).

The FE should stay at $600 so that AIBs could get a better chance to sell at a lower price.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No regrets here paying $600, but it would be a good idea to drop the price on the AIBs. I think I heard that the FE sold out within a few hours in the US (and the FE is still sold out today in the US).

The FE should stay at $600 so that AIBs could get a better chance to sell at a lower price.
Nvidia has them available for sale right now. You can add it to cart and proceed with the purchase.
secDnBq.jpg

Best Buy is sold out, but if you sort by Best Sellers it comes in below Asus 4070, Gigabyte 4070 Windforce, Asus ROG Zephyrus 4070 laptop, Gigabyte 4070Ti OC, MSI 4070 Ventus, Asus 4070Ti TUF, MSI Aegis 4070Ti desktop, MSI 4070Ti Ventus, and Asus ROG Strix 4070 laptop. I believe a better explanation is that they just didn't have many in stock in the first place if it's getting outsold by random desktops and laptops.

I was reading of the $50 rebate Nvidia is going to offer to AIBs, but it's possible that the manufacturers will simply pocket the rebate as opposed to passing the savings on to the customer.

The demand for Ada cards is shit compared to what it was for Ampere. Due to crypto you had to wait in a queue for 6-months+ to get a Ampere card, or pay up to double the msrp to a scapler to get one, while these are just sitting on the shelf with very little demand. Is there any Ada card that you can't just buy right now? Maybe the 4090 Founders, but there's plenty of other 4090s in stock.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Nvidia has them available for sale right now. You can add it to cart and proceed with the purchase.
secDnBq.jpg

Best Buy is sold out, but if you sort by Best Sellers it comes in below Asus 4070, Gigabyte 4070 Windforce, Asus ROG Zephyrus 4070 laptop, Gigabyte 4070Ti OC, MSI 4070 Ventus, Asus 4070Ti TUF, MSI Aegis 4070Ti desktop, MSI 4070Ti Ventus, and Asus ROG Strix 4070 laptop. I believe a better explanation is that they just didn't have many in stock in the first place if it's getting outsold by random desktops and laptops.

I was reading of the $50 rebate Nvidia is going to offer to AIBs, but it's possible that the manufacturers will simply pocket the rebate as opposed to passing the savings on to the customer.

The demand for Ada cards is shit compared to what it was for Ampere. Due to crypto you had to wait in a queue for 6-months+ to get a Ampere card, or pay up to double the msrp to a scapler to get one, while these are just sitting on the shelf with very little demand. Is there any Ada card that you can't just buy right now? Maybe the 4090 Founders, but there's plenty of other 4090s in stock.
It's not really a matter of demand, but of pricing.

The top end cards from both Nvidia and AMD seem to be selling well. Most 4090 models were sold out a launch, same for the 7900XTX.

The problem is, those are the only cards offering real value compared to the previous generation.

Below the 4080, which is pointless with the 4090 being just a few hundreds more, you can have the same performance for cheaper. 4070ti? Get a used 3090ti or a new 6950xt. 4070? Get a used 3080 or a new 6800.

What these cards offer for the price is marginal. Are better RT and DLSS3 worth the extra cost? I don't think so, not at that price point.

I imagine they're still trying to get rid of last gen stock and these cards are just there to push people to do so.

Smiggs

The top end cards from both Nvidia and AMD seem to be selling well. Most 4090 models were sold out a launch, same for the 7900XTX.

The problem is, those are the only cards offering real value compared to the previous generation.

Below the 4080, which is pointless with the 4090 being just a few hundreds more, you can have the same performance for cheaper. 4070ti? Get a used 3090ti or a new 6950xt. 4070? Get a used 3080 or a new 6800.

What these cards offer for the price is marginal. Are better RT and DLSS3 worth the extra cost? I don't think so, not at that price point.

I imagine they're still trying to get rid of last gen stock and these cards are just there to push people to do so.
The 4080 is really embarrassing at it's price point. The 4090 truly demolishes it, especially price/performance. Which begs the question, is the 4090 truly that great, or has the 4080 been intentionally held back? The 3090 was a horrible investment for most people compared to the 3080, considering how close they were in performance, yet the 3080 was nearly half the cost (at MSRP).

I really hate this generation...

Corndog

Banned
Well the 4070 is way more cut down than the 3080 Ti, just look at the cuda core count. Part of the reason the 3080 pulls ahead of the 4070 in higher resolutions.
It also has bad bandwidth. A 3070 has 448 GB/s. The 4070 only increased to 504 GB/s despite 4 more GBs of ram. They shrunk the bus from 256 bit to 192 bit.

Hot5pur

It's possible we could be seeing the end of mainstream DIY PCs for gaming with it becoming even more niche. The price of GPUs probably won't go back down due to inflation and cost of lower nm nodes. Consoles will continue to be much better value, even if pro refreshes come in at $600. Ports to PC have also been somewhat shit due to developers focusing on the console resources/architecture.

4070 should have been the 4060 ti ($449), and 4070 ti the 4070 ($599). The 4080 is a nice performing card but at $1200 no thanks. Realistically should have been $800-$850. I imagine that's where things settle. Maybe at the end of this year we'll get a refresh with new pricing and better performance. I wonder if the 4090 will get a Ti variant, or if we'll get a cut down 4090 as a 4080 Ti for $1000.

Crayon

It's possible we could be seeing the end of mainstream DIY PCs for gaming with it becoming even more niche. The price of GPUs probably won't go back down due to inflation and cost of lower nm nodes. Consoles will continue to be much better value, even if pro refreshes come in at $600. Ports to PC have also been somewhat shit due to developers focusing on the console resources/architecture.

4070 should have been the 4060 ti ($449), and 4070 ti the 4070 ($599). The 4080 is a nice performing card but at $1200 no thanks. Realistically should have been $800-$850. I imagine that's where things settle. Maybe at the end of this year we'll get a refresh with new pricing and better performance. I wonder if the 4090 will get a Ti variant, or if we'll get a cut down 4090 as a 4080 Ti for $1000.

I'm hoping that AMD comes in with the graphics focused apus. Intel could do something like that too, if they get arc sorted. I'm sure some people would hate the idea, but as a $250 GPU buyer, I would be all about an APU build if it was up to snuff with consoles.

Last edited:

PeteBull

The 4080 is really embarrassing at it's price point. The 4090 truly demolishes it, especially price/performance. Which begs the question, is the 4090 truly that great, or has the 4080 been intentionally held back? The 3090 was a horrible investment for most people compared to the 3080, considering how close they were in performance, yet the 3080 was nearly half the cost (at MSRP).

I really hate this generation...
Both, 4090 being really good is easy to spot- just compare it to what amd provides, perf wise, 4080 being priced terribly(at most it should be 1k usd, and even then it wouldnt be crazy good deal but at least somewhat acceptable), is very true too.

Price of 4090 being high doesnt matter all that much, at that price bracket card could might as well cost 2k usd instead of 1,6k and it would still easily get 90% of its sales, simply ppl who are willing to spend 1600usd will be most likely willing to spend 2k usd too, and i say it as a buyer of 3080ti in the middle of crypto boom for 2,2k euro ;/

Last edited:

The 3090ti is a massive card compared to the 4070ti, and the power consumption is insane as well. However, the 3090ti has 24GB of VRAM, so I'm sure the 3090ti will last a lot longer.

The 4070's performance is not amazing, but the RTX3080 is not a better choice (especially the 10GB model). The RTX3080h has MUCH higher power consumption, it's much bigger and there's no support for DLSS3 (FG). Used RTX 3080 will also have less, or no warranty.

Last edited:

PeteBull

True info is how bad other cards are selling, just compare 4070ti at 200 units vs 4090 at 190, and thats 1600$ vs 800$msrp, i dont remember experiencing sales parity between such large gap in pricing products ;D
I give it max 4 more weeks and 4070 sales gonna fall too :p

Competition or not, if customers dont get good enough incentive to buy they will not buy unless literally forced to upgrade by fried gpu or stuff like that.

dave_d

Slow start but sales picked up

BTW, my major annoyance is I've seen at least a few tech tubers claim it was a flop and wasn't selling.(Because that what they want to happen.) And what was their "research" that lead them to that conclusion? It's in stock at Microcenter and Newegg.:messenger_confounded: (Yeah, I'm not happy about GPU prices and want them to come down but tech tubers' reporting is embarrassingly bad.)

Last edited:

Hot5pur

The 4070 is a decent choice, but no where as satisfying as what the 3080 was if you could get it at MSRP. Also the 3060Ti was probably the best value.
This gen of cards is kinda pathetic but I'm sure there were a ton of people that held off upgrading last gen due to insane prices and shortages, and with so many broken PC ports seems you need an overkill GPU just to run them, so people starting to buy.
Maybe they'll do a mid gen refresh that's actually impressive, or just wait for 50xx...

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I had bought pretty much every card from the 900 series (i.e. 960, 970, 980 Ti), 1000 series (i.e. 1060, 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080 Ti), and 2000 series (i.e. 2060, 2070, 2070 Super, 2080), and even got a 3070 and 3080 last gen.

But the costs for this generarion is pure garbage, and no good deals are to be had (that was the main way I was able to get pretty much all those 900, 1000, and 2000 cards, mainly from EVGA B-stock sales).

I only have the 3070 and two 3080's now, but I don't see the point of upgrading unless the 5000 series offers insane price/performance. If it doesn't, I'll just wait until the 6000 series.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'm hoping that AMD comes in with the graphics focused apus. Intel could do something like two, if they get arc sorted. I'm sure some people would hate the idea, but as a $250 GPU buyer, I would be all about an APU build if it was up to snuff with consoles.

The cavalry isn't coming bro. Stop hoping AMD or Intel is going to come save the day.

Crayon

The cavalry isn't coming bro. Stop hoping AMD or Intel is going to come save the day.

I'm not saying they are going to dislodge loyalists. I'm saying they can offer at least a good deal as an option. Especially with good apu's, but even right now; If I was going to spend $250 to $500 rn, I'm looking hard at intel and amd.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm not saying they are going to dislodge loyalists. I'm saying they can offer at least a good deal as an option. Especially with good apu's, but even right now; If I was going to spend $250 to $500 rn, I'm looking hard at intel and amd.

For the midrange, all my hope is in Intel right now.
The A770s and even A750s were actually pretty good deals for midrange PC builders, especially if you can find a discounted A770 16G.
Assuming Intel dont suddenly drop the ball, then their B770 (or whatever they call the range topper) should in theory be an RTX4070 class card with more VRAM and a better price.

At the top end Nvidia has a chokehold, no one is making a 4090 class card.

And as for APUs.
Intel seem to be investing pretty heavily into their Xe graphic technology.
They could in theory make an APU that doesnt have e-cores but has quite a few Xe cores to make up for it.
The whole point of their new approach is scalability over generations:
images-5.png

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
MicroCenter is doing $100 Steam Gift card with a lot of 4000-series cards. Kinda tempting at what’s effectively $499 if you plan on spending money on Steam(which I do).

*EDIT*
I was looking at the homepage for MicroCenter and noticed it says this deal is IN-STORE ONLY! Something I didn't see mentioned in the VideoCardz article.
VFqGmJI.jpg

Last edited:

RSLAEV

wtffff I didn't know Nvidia sold FE's. I thought the only way to get one was from Best Buy.

Also:

"...the amount of gap between the 4070 and 4070 TI performance charts that we've created is the same gap between the 3070 and the 3090."

I needed an Nvidia card to start working with Stable Diffusion and I didn't want to risk getting a used 3000 series card that had been in the mines for years. I knew the 4070 was overpriced but damn this statement just wounds my soul.

Last edited:

Xellos

"...the amount of gap between the 4070 and 4070 TI performance charts that we've created is the same gap between the 3070 and the 3090."

Will have to watch the video later but sounds kind of fishy. 4070-4070ti, from reviews I've seen (or read), is 20-25% difference. 3070-3090 is more like a 40-45% difference.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn 4070 is a beast, it's nice to have this much power at 200w :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

My PC gaming time has increased drastically since upgrading to the 4070. Gonna be gaming more than usual to make sure I get my money's worth, gonna enter Hakoom Hakoom mode on my massive backlog.
Which one is you in this picture....and blink twice if you are being held against your will.
diversity-inclusion-og-60_.jpg

PeteBull

Agree almost fully just keep in mind intel's gpu drivers can suck badly if u playing older games or not super mainstream games(hell even mainstream new games can have trouble too), basically they are in the process of learning so i would avoid their gpu's at least till next ones show up maybe next year or so and can be tested, lots of smaller channels did re-test them, and i dont mean 1-2min benchmark test but like having intel card in their own pc for a month playing some mainstream but many non mainstream/older games and it wasnt pretty =/

Crayon

Agree almost fully just keep in mind intel's gpu drivers can suck badly if u playing older games or not super mainstream games(hell even mainstream new games can have trouble too), basically they are in the process of learning so i would avoid their gpu's at least till next ones show up maybe next year or so and can be tested, lots of smaller channels did re-test them, and i dont mean 1-2min benchmark test but like having intel card in their own pc for a month playing some mainstream but many non mainstream/older games and it wasnt pretty =/

I heard the new Intel drivers use proton, or at least part of it, for older games. I'm on Linux so everything runs through proton and feeds the GPU Vulkan anyhow. Same difference to me. But the Intel drivers on Linux are going to need a bit longer. Theyll get there. Looking at their gpus, I think if those came out a year earlier like they were supposed to, they would have been pretty impressive. I really really hope they bring the heat with battlemage.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I did begrudgingly just order a 4070 as I found a "decent" deal and I don't see anything better in value releasing in the next 6 months. I really don't want to get anything used and if I went for an older card of similar power or waited for AMD, I'd have to replace my PSU and likely case as well. Probably the best thing about the 4070 is the sub 200 watt consumption and you can find 26cm cards that fit in old cases.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I did begrudgingly just order a 4070 as I found a "decent" deal and I don't see anything better in value releasing in the next 6 months. I really don't want to get anything used and if I went for an older card of similar power or waited for AMD, I'd have to replace my PSU and likely case as well. Probably the best thing about the 4070 is the sub 200 watt consumption and you can find 26cm cards that fit in old cases.
Indeed, and those 12gigs of vram maybe isnt that much but sitll acceptable somehow xD

Vognerful

Just note that 4070 is quite thick compared to old cards. I had the 2060s and I thought I will have installing the 4070 since it is shorter, but it turned out I had to remove the riser standouts and the hard disk from inside the case to make it fit as it was significantly thicker.

DaGwaphics

Just note that 4070 is quite thick compared to old cards. I had the 2060s and I thought I will have installing the 4070 since it is shorter, but it turned out I had to remove the riser standouts and the hard disk from inside the case to make it fit as it was significantly thicker.

The smaller Zotac 4070s are true dual slot cards, people with the ITX cases (that's the boat I'm in), would probably have to look at those models (or the founders edition also).

Skifi28

Thanks, I think it should fit based on my measurements, but as a worst case scenario changing the position of a couple of HDDs ought to be enough.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Tried out my 4070 today with forza horizon 5, I was surprised for some reason that they added ray tracing. Anyhow, the game is running at extreme preset at 60fps at 4k, pretty happy with that, it really looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Bojji

Holy fuck this GPU is efficient. I have palit 4070 dual. On stock GPU hovers around 2600-2700MHz and is constantly power limited (200W). With a bit of undervolting i now have 2 profiles:

1. 2715MHz with 0.935v - consumes ~150W (99% stock performance)

2. 2800MHz with 0.985v - 190W (very sporadically limited by power limit), OVER stock performance

I think this GPU is quite good, but yeah price could be lower.

W4YlADi.jpg

Memory OCs to the max with no issues, from 504GB/s to 600GB/s - 20% improvement.
It's safe to OC memory that much? I have noticed that the temperature of the GPU chip itself can be very low, but the memory chips and backplate can be extremely hot.

Last edited:

Bojji

It's safe to OC memory that much? I have noticed that the temperature of the GPU chip itself can be very low, but the memory chips and backplate can be extremely hot.

I'm not sure, hahaha. Memory temps seem to be in very safe margins (76 degrees C) but I won't risk it myself so I keep this ~+1110MHz OC on memory.

For me this is the first time with GPU when memory is easily going to max OC without any artifacts, it's only limited by software. This GPU is bandwidth starved (just like 4070ti) so 10% overclock on memory can definitely help it.

Leonidas

RTX 4070 and higher comes with Diablo 4, till June 13th.

Good bonus if you were already interested in the game. The game also supports DLSS3 technology.

Top Bottom