• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 40 series finalised using 5nm (4090 will be 2x 3090)

skneogaf

I have a 3090 on order and if it wasn't for the hdmi 2.1 on it I'd be absolutely fine with my 2080ti so I very much doubt nvidia can bring something that will make me feel like I need a 4000 series gpu.

Kenpachii

Yes but for a card with this level of power it could be quite limiting.

Wouldnt'worry about it.

DS-p.webp

Kenpachii

We are talking about GPU that is supposed to be more than 2x of that 3080.

U will be cpu bottlenecked long before pci-e 3.0 bottlenecks you. example a 3090 only uses 10% of pci-e 3.0 bus.

I think when we move over to 5.0 we could see some actual differences if they keep 2x increases up every gen forwards and even then it will take a while and cpu's will be the major bottlenecks once again still and the entire industry has to drop the pci-e 3.0 support to make a difference which aint happening as 4.0 isn't even considered a standard in anything.

The only big plus point 4.0 over 3.0 gives and which can impact 3.0 hard is ssd performance with directstorage, however we yet have to see how that works out and if its even going to get used in any significant matter because at the end of the day directstorage is builded around 3.0 solution also, but if that's the case 4.0 will be outdated also fast because 5.0 will be dropped then, which will see similar improvements. 4.0 seems like a hold over to 5.0. this is why lots of pc gamers are waiting on 5.0 before they upgrade there setups again.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Its an MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi for the i9-10900k, thats hardly a year old CPU and motherboard. How the fuck is that old? Being compatible isnt inherently gimping technology, go spew that bullshit in some PS5 --> PS4 port bitching thread 😂
Yeah but you would lose performance. So why bother?

• LOL
Reactions: amc

Kenpachii

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what performance they launch at. it wil be better then current lineup. People probably just want to buy one.

REDRZA MWS

I have a 3090 on order and if it wasn't for the hdmi 2.1 on it I'd be absolutely fine with my 2080ti so I very much doubt nvidia can bring something that will make me feel like I need a 4000 series gpu.
I want hdmi 2.1 badly too, but seeing the benchmarks on the 3 series cards compared to my 2080ti I wasn’t impressed. I’ll ride it out see what the 4 series is offering.

Crypto mining will never be dead but all the bandwagon jumpers are certainly being shaken out.

The smart guys are the ones who mine during periods when the crypto prices are low and the frenzy has died down.
Or just the people who mined way back in the day and are now rich :D but continue to do so to give the illusion that it's worth the time / energy investment.

Last edited:

-MD-

3080s were impossible to find so at this point I'll grab a 4080 (assuming they're available)

VGEsoterica

I wonder how many generations of GPU's NVIDIA will release before we can just walk into a store and buy one like normal people. 30XX series will come and go before stock even normalizes it seems

amigastar

I wonder how many generations of GPU's NVIDIA will release before we can just walk into a store and buy one like normal people. 30XX series will come and go before stock even normalizes it seems
Yep, that what it looks right now. Just bought a PC with RTX 2060 since no other card was available, i hope it's enough for the next 2 years when i'm upgrading my Graphics Card by then.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Really hope these cards are still PCIE 3.0 compatable, i literally just built a computer with a 3.0 motherboard...
PCIE is backwards compatible why wouldnt PCIE4/5 cards work in a PCIE3 motherboard.

P.S Why would you build a PCIE3 computer in 2021 when PCIE5 is literally showing up in like 3 months?
Crypto mining is currently kinda dead so maybe we actually get a chance to buy these cards...
Kinda dead?
Hahahahaha

kiphalfton

Will we be needing a 2000W power supply soon? /s

I find it suspect that these GPUs that aren't even a year old year are already on the way out.

This has definitely been the generation to avoid, even though we've barely had the choice.

I wanna see what AMDs got.
I disagree that it was the generation to avoid. The RTX 3070 and 3080 were good. The 3080 Ti and 3090 are a bit of a different story, considering how little of a bump in performance they offered over the 3080.

Hezekiah

Banned
Probably worth waiting for this and skipping th 3000 series altogether.

A hell of a wait though given I wanted a new card late last year.

PCIE is backwards compatible why wouldnt PCIE4/5 cards work in a PCIE3 motherboard.

P.S Why would you build a PCIE3 computer in 2021 when PCIE5 is literally showing up in like 3 months?

We weren't having that conversation about a few months ago.

Not to mention that GPUs still haven't hit the limits of PCIE3.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ies-design-allegedly-finalized-using-tsmc-5nm

According to the leaker, Ada Lovelace is definitely the next gaming series from NVIDIA. In fact, the entire project has been finalized and it should not change, claims the leaker. This means that the specifications that were floating around the web for the past few months may very well be final, however, there are no details on architecture tape-out yet.

Greymon-Ada-final-1-1200x255.png

Furthermore, the leaker is confident that the architecture will be build using TSMC 5nm process technology, but he is not sure if that’s N5 or N5P. Previous rumors only pointed towards 5nm but it wasn’t sure if NVIDIA will be using Samsung or TSMC for their 5nm product.

The most prominent NVIDIA leaker “kopite7kimi”, who correctly predicted the specs of the entire Ampere architecture lineup months in advance, is no longer sure that NVIDIA will indeed use Ada Lovelace for GeForce RTX 40 series, as indicated by the tweets he made back in May. NVIDIA’s strategy may depend on the performance of the competing chips, mainly AMD RDNA3 which are to be the first MCM gaming designs.

Kopite says that there is a possibility NVIDIA will launch gaming Hooper GPU such as GH202 instead of AD102.

Kopite-Ada-1200x347.png

Scalpers

tenor.gif

Kenpachii

The thing i really need is a next gen game like unity to arrive on PC so we can see where performance is going to land for this gen.

Kenpachii

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ies-design-allegedly-finalized-using-tsmc-5nm

According to the leaker, Ada Lovelace is definitely the next gaming series from NVIDIA. In fact, the entire project has been finalized and it should not change, claims the leaker. This means that the specifications that were floating around the web for the past few months may very well be final, however, there are no details on architecture tape-out yet.

Greymon-Ada-final-1-1200x255.png

Furthermore, the leaker is confident that the architecture will be build using TSMC 5nm process technology, but he is not sure if that’s N5 or N5P. Previous rumors only pointed towards 5nm but it wasn’t sure if NVIDIA will be using Samsung or TSMC for their 5nm product.

The most prominent NVIDIA leaker “kopite7kimi”, who correctly predicted the specs of the entire Ampere architecture lineup months in advance, is no longer sure that NVIDIA will indeed use Ada Lovelace for GeForce RTX 40 series, as indicated by the tweets he made back in May. NVIDIA’s strategy may depend on the performance of the competing chips, mainly AMD RDNA3 which are to be the first MCM gaming designs.

Kopite says that there is a possibility NVIDIA will launch gaming Hooper GPU such as GH202 instead of AD102.

Kopite-Ada-1200x347.png

If that's true then RDNA3 is going to be a beast.

Black_Stride

We weren't having that conversation about a few months ago.

Not to mention that GPUs still haven't hit the limits of PCIE3.
Weve known about Alderlake this whole year.
Heck we knew about PCIE5 coming in 2021 when Ryzen 3000 came with PCIE4 and Intel basically scoffed at supporting a stopgap technology.

Intel-Alder-Lake-S-Specifications-768x371.jpg

Intel-600-Chipset-Specifications-768x768.jpg

Lovelace will perform well so no doubts about that. With that said, who will spend the money on Lovelace when Hopper is next and literally brings revolutionary tech to the PC GPU space. People with money to spend I guess. For those that wish to hold on to your GPU for years to come. Wait. For. Hopper. Unless you're willing to go AMD.

Nvzman

Its a MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi, for the i9-10900k. It COULD be PCIE 4.0, Im not sure, but i dont think id need a CPU for a while considering the 10900k is still the best Intel consumer CPU.

Kenpachii

Its a MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi, for the i9-10900k. It COULD be PCIE 4.0, Im not sure, but i dont think id need a CPU for a while considering the 10900k is still the best Intel consumer CPU.

Its 3.

Doesn't matter tho, 4 iwll be ditched hard by the market and 5 will take a while to catch up in being a standard in the industry. that 10900k will last for a while.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still rocking my 2018 AMD card. I've literally not seen a video card for sale at retail price for the last 18 months. I'll probably buy one if I can get it without paying a scalper.

If not, fuck it. Fuck scalpers, fuck Nvidia, fuck AMD.

tusharngf

2x in FLOPS maybe but not real world gaming performance - unless they are talking about RT performance which I guess is possible, but definitely not traditional rasterization.
exactly it comes short of 1.5-1.8 times. Anyways it will be on new node plus new architecture. Judging by nvidia history 2060 was better than GTX1080 performance ballpark after that 3060 is somewhat closer to 2080 gpu. Same will happen again 4060 will be closer to 3080 level.

Since I managed to get a 3090 at MSRP I'll probably just sell it for profit if I get lucky enough again with the 4090. Just tell the next poor soul I never used it for mining lol.

Weve known about Alderlake this whole year.
Heck we knew about PCIE5 coming in 2021 when Ryzen 3000 came with PCIE4 and Intel basically scoffed at supporting a stopgap technology.

Intel-Alder-Lake-S-Specifications-768x371.jpg

Intel-600-Chipset-Specifications-768x768.jpg

That's like saying Coffee Lake should have kept buyers away from Kaby Lake.

People want what they want when they want them.

Black_Stride

That's like saying Coffee Lake should have kept buyers away from Kaby Lake.

People want what they want when they want them.

Not really when you consider the 10900K is over a year old and is technologically already ancient.
Kaby Lake to Coffee Lake wasnt that great a jump, they were effectively the same + 2 cores.
And if Coffee Lake was a few months out....yes I would say wait for Kaby Lake. Intel CPUs of previous generations didnt drop and change in price so Coffee Lake even if you needed to wait 4 months was just outright the better option.

If someone could wait the whole year to buy a generation old CPU(yes I know the 10900K is still the better buy) they could easily have waited an extra 3 months to get a truly current generation CPU.
Consider the advantages that DDR5 alone is going to bring let alone the architectural changes.

Bryank75

Banned
All of your new cards are out of date already.... sucks for you.

Even if you didn't manage to get one yet.

Probably won't manage to get the next ones either.

This will have a big scalper target on it...

GymWolf

Hopefully these cunts are gonna return to "normal" prices for the 4000 series.

70 series no more than 500 dollars
80 series no more than 700 dollars
90\ti series no more than a kidney and maybe 2-3 fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom