• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3080 Cloud vs. Local. Can you see much of a difference?

Is it a MAJOR difference?

• Total voters

ethomaz

Banned
Yes a lot.

At least I tried some of these Cloud techs for curiosity and you easily notice the response time being affected from the very start.

BTW the image quality is not constant… it degrades during playing experience but that is not a major issue… response time is.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Yes a lot.

At least I tried some of these Cloud techs for curiosity and you easily notice the response time being affected from the very start.

BTW the image quality is not constant… it degrades during playing experience but that is not a major issue… response time is.
The question is not about some of these (average) cloud techs. It's about this premium (RTX 3080)GFN which is one of the best tech...

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
What do you guys think? The latency is not the question. I want you to tell me if you can literally see a MAJOR difference in the visuals that you are seeing.

How are you ever going to tell the difference between watching the game with a ~8000Mbps uncompressed lossless video signal (local processing through HDMI / Displayport) and a 15Mbps compressed lossy video signal (Geforce Now)... by watching a 8Mbps even-more-compressed even-more-lossy video signal on Youtube?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
everything on console must feel like shit.

PlayStation 4 Results:​

Dashboard76ms
Destiny107ms
Driveclub116ms
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-89ms
Killzone: Shadow Fall119ms
Mortal Kombat X107ms
The Last of Us: Remastered111ms
And some people said to me they don't see input lag on DriveClub. Took me 1 second to notice and drop. 🤮

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Your pic is outdated from 3 years ago. It's highly improved. Pic 2 has some results but not as detailed.

P.S. My Stream Latency is 9 MS on 1 GB Fiber at 60 FPS. It depends on how far the Nvidia Server is from you.

Wow, 9 megaseconds ... that's about 104 years, so that would be pretty bad for playability - or even getting the first frame to display within your lifetime.

/s

OK, I know you meant "ms"

Consoles and cloud gaming should be grateful for cryptocurrency and COVID.

The longer GPU prices are insane the more PC gaming will suffer. No casual is gonna want to build a PC in the next 2 years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Consoles and cloud gaming should be grateful for cryptocurrency and COVID.

The longer GPU prices are insane the more PC gaming will suffer. No casual is gonna want to build a PC in the next 2 years.
Consoles suffer just the same. That's why they cant sell as much as they can and that's why ps games are coming out on pc

Topher

Gold Member
Most people don't even know they have around 100 ms of input lag on their consoles, but 20 ms input lag from streaming is somehow a dealbreaker 🤭

Whatever it is, I notice it when streaming a lot more than I do playing locally. And yeah, it can be a dealbreaker depending on the game.

See and feel is a different thing . You both see , feel and hear from a game . Any input lag above 50ms felt like shit .

I don't it works like this mate , anyone with better network tech knowledge please confirm . 33ms is the ping to the data center , not the overall input lag . There are some test done with Geforce Now where even with 25ms ping , the overall input lag was still more than 100ms . Source

B9oIpYe.png

Also as pointed out by @Larxia , this is a dumb comparison because Local 3080 will look much better than the one compressed in the youtube video , so the differences are actually way more pronounced .
And thats the very best case. [when you're close to the data center] For the vast majority of peeps it's ~200+ ms. Basically unplayable territory. Just think 30 fps feels twice as smooth as cloud. It's that bad.

Where did all these random Streaming threads come from all of a sudden. input delay is straight up trash so until that's resolved its not really worth talking about :|
If you live next door to the data center and have 1GB extreme low latency fiber broadband you'll be mostly fine. Still considerably worse experience than a midrange pc.

is this some kind of joke? there is a huge difference. maybe if i took off my glasses i'd struggle to see the difference.

alright the rendering qualities (shadows/ao/volumetrics/draw distance/raytracing/etc) might be exactly the same or similar but the resolution is a big difference. also, if for some reason you can't see a difference i bet you would if you played it. playing a game with a mouse/keyboard when streaming is awful. maybe with a controller it's more acceptable but still there is a shit load of lag.

Last edited:

Uiki

the video is showing 33ms, it should feel like controller play. If you play anything online 33ms is generally pretty good so it should compare to say playing any modern fps online on a decent connection.
That's..... not how it works.

Haggard

Banned
another one of those threads with "muh cloud gaming future!" while real minute to minute gameplay still feels like swimming in mustard due to the added latency if you`re not literally sitting on top of a server..at least with mouse and keyboard.
Unless they find a way to cheat physics game streaming will always just be a backup plan.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The varriance in experience is a problem, I've had cloud gaming sessions that where straight up unplayable (massive input delay), to almost ok (might play the odd game), to very close to local play. (Impresssive)
It's part if the reasons the opinions are so varied. My most recent test on geforce now was excellent, surprising really. And that wasn't even on a shield tv, which likely gives the best experience.

It's improving all the time, it has serious potential. For those of you who hate it, I'd say don't give up on it just yet, you might be surprised.

Last edited:

SScorpio

I've tried in home all on a Gigabit wired network between consoles, PC, etc. Latency is always worse even with the <1ms, this is because there's an additional video encoder in the middle. It's not a huge difference but it's there.

Another problem is in high motion scenes no matter how good the tech, at some point it starts becoming a blurry pixelated mess.

Streaming has its use cases, and some people might be fine with the limitations. But I prefer an uncompressed video.

Kuranghi

Even though its amazing looking and I'm having a blast I'm upset basically every 45 seconds that I can't run Marvel's GotG at native 4K, the difference between 90% scaling and native is very noticeable to me, even 95%. Anything below native res just loses a lot of sharpness/clarity for obvious reasons so I have no interest in less-than perfect reconstruction techniques vs. native, let alone that + video encoding artifacts, etc.

I should never have looked at it in native 4K, now I can tell everytime Drax's tatoos aren't as sharp or you don't see ALL the detail in their beautiful eyes, its stunning to behold. Can't wait to replay this in 8K60+ in years to come.

So yes I do see a difference even with the bad comparison (no offense to OP, its just not really possible to do without expensive capture HW to show the direct feed with minimal quality loss) and I'm sure it would be much more obvious seen natively. I'm a massive prick about IQ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fahdis

Even though its amazing looking and I'm having a blast I'm upset basically every 45 seconds that I can't run Marvel's GotG at native 4K, the difference between 90% scaling and native is very noticeable to me, even 95%. Anything below native res just loses a lot of sharpness/clarity for obvious reasons so I have no interest in less-than perfect reconstruction techniques vs. native, let alone that + video encoding artifacts, etc.

I should never have looked at it in native 4K, now I can tell everytime Drax's tatoos aren't as sharp or you don't see ALL the detail in their beautiful eyes, its stunning to behold. Can't wait to replay this in 8K60+ in years to come.

So yes I do see a difference even with the bad comparison (no offense to OP, its just not really possible to do without expensive capture HW to show the direct feed with minimal quality loss) and I'm sure it would be much more obvious seen natively. I'm a massive prick about IQ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Did you see the 4K Video of GoTG ser? What do you think of it. And no, I'm not offended in the least, its just a preference.

DavidGzz

another one of those threads with "muh cloud gaming future!" while real minute to minute gameplay still feels like swimming in mustard due to the added latency if you`re not literally sitting on top of a server..at least with mouse and keyboard.
Unless they find a way to cheat physics game streaming will always just be a backup plan.

I play Wolcen with mouse and keyboard and I notice more lag playing on a tv vs a monitor than I do between GE Force Now and local play. Have you even tried it recently? GE Force and Stadia are super responsive.

TonyK

It looks the same... than that shitty compressed youtube video of local gameplay. But real local gameplay looks way better than that.

Excess

This is hard to judge considering how much YouTube compresses video, so it's not a fair comparison.

Albeit, it is impressive for 2021.

MayauMiao

For point & click games, walking simulators would be fine. Still prefer to have my game runs locally. Given my location, latency and connection reliability will be a problem.

Local FTW.

Rickyiez

Most people don't even know they have around 100 ms of input lag on their consoles, but 20 ms input lag from streaming is somehow a dealbreaker 🤭
You forget to add that 20ms from streaming server to the existing peripheral's 100ms 🤭

Also "most" is by your very own definition . I'm used to 144hz panel on PC with 3080 Ti , so yea of course it's a dealbreaker 🤭

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
In single player I can't feel any latency when using Stadia or GFN. xCloud however is garbage when it comes to latency, especially on iOS. I know it's in Beta, but they still charge you money for it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference. Why would I fork out on expensive hardware, which I'll need to update every few years, when I can just stream? Also, with a subscription service, it means I never have to purchase another game again.

Nice try comparing this to sex and flicking one off the wrist, but this is a lot different to that.

Why? This would be a completely different matter if publishers were on board with GFN, and don't get me started on Stadia. These are fragmented services, just like Netflix and the billion of other streaming services. It's not a good replacement for anything.

Last edited:
You forget to add that 20ms from streaming server to the existing peripheral's 100ms 🤭

Also "most" is by your very own definition . I'm used to 144hz panel on PC with 3080 Ti , so yea of course it's a dealbreaker 🤭
Monitor = maybe 10 ms
Gamepad = maybe 10 ms

Adds up to 40 ms latency.

And I was talking about console players.

🤭

Fahdis

Ok, so I just played on a 3060 Rig. And with my new Fiber connection, I shit you people not. It literally feels 1 to 1 like local. I'm not even fucking kidding and even at 1080p its looking better than anything I've played on consoles on Ultra. I can't wait for the 3080 Rig now to test it. I think its Fiber that changed the game. Consistent 8-9 Ms Latency for me. Probably getting ms added from my DS4 into Shield TV and then to my OLED.

I might cancel my 3080 tier if the Shield TV Pro AI Enhanced looks just as good or better. Lets see. I don't know man, it looks fucking bonkers on Fiber.

martino

Sure. A little bit.
If sony sold twice as many consoles. landscape would be a bit different
I thing the interest they have for PC is unrelated to the situation of their platform situation.
they just saw this trend
they want a part of this growing audience

Last edited:

buenoblue

I just had a thought. Google, Nvidia, Xbox, playstation and everyone else building game streaming platforms, they need gpus to run this shit. That's probably where all the fucking gpus are going!!!

"There are fields, Neo, endless fields where GPUs beings are no longer sold. They are streamed."

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I think for most people it isn't worth the money. Most people don't need hifi sound system or don't watch movies from blueray etc.

But some of us do and there really is difference. It's expensive hobby and that is ok.
Yeah, there is still a difference and i can't blame some gamers for paying the insane price of a 3080.

The good news with the GFN is that even a student can sub it. (it's still pricy but he just need to sometimes eat pastas instead of Burger King and downgrade his netflix standard to basic or even better, switch to prime video (5 euros/month with HD, free video games, free music).

Fat Frog

I just had a thought. Google, Nvidia, Xbox, playstation and everyone else building game streaming platforms, they need gpus to run this shit. That's probably where all the fucking gpus are going!!!

"There are fields, Neo, endless fields where GPUs beings are no longer sold. They are streamed."
You forgot Samsung and Tencent, moda fucka 💀🤑.

Yeah, all of you will pay crazy prices for my comfy GFN, Stadia... 😎😜😎

Xcloud thoughts: Microsoft looses money selling Series X hardwares.

With Series X blades, no dumping. They just sell subscriptions which is more profitable. (that's probably why they didn't wait for providing series X blades to the cloud) : Priority to the cloud...

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Checked out the Nvidia site about this new 3080 program. $99 for six months and limited quantities. Too much buy in for me on something that experimental.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really is a good looking game and impressive that the quality is pretty good with the streaming (I couldn't see a difference with the narrator turned off and sitting on a couch).

Can I see if a video feed is better than local....over a video feed...errrr???

I mean if your a cheap ass mother fucker then go ahead stream. I'll pay a premium for the real shit thanks.

If they are both feed through a video stream then they will suffer the same compression. Everything else being equal the method of delivering the comparison video isn't going to lead to a swapping of results.

Top Bottom