• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3060 Vs. PS5 and Xbox Series X: How a Midrange PC Will Stack up in 2021

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So PS5 is $400-$500, XSX is $500...

and then this PC is ...

$330-$400 GPU
$200-$300 CPU
$150 motherboard, RAM
$300 case, PSU, CPU cooler, cables, etc (edit- forgot to write SSD in this part)
$50 mouse & keyboard
$100 Windows

Yeah the $1000+ PC is the same price lol ok

And no don't count "I have old parts I can sell or I already have some of those" because that works with consoles as well. I paid less than $180 for my PS4 because I had my PS3 and games to sell off, etc.
1000 is a very limiting budget for a pc. In fact 2k is too.
Nobody wants 6c 12t. You want 8c 16t cpu and that's 5800x. Then you want pcie x4 for that fast nvme. That's x570... Gpu? Shame to put 3060 in it, gotta get 70 or 80.
Oh 20usd keyboard? Nope... Keyboard is 200...
Pc is hell of money and problems. I know, I am a pc gamer since 1997 and love/hate it :p
It goes like this forever. You can build for 1k no problems but it's cutting corners city.

Also getting a gpu is just impossible and prices are doubled from msrp. My 3080 was the last one sold at msrp lol. Getting it for msrp now sounds like I made a great deal.

For ps5 I had to wait since release. It's finally coming today but I think it will speed up

Last edited:

vkbest

Paid multiplayer
Expensive games
Less than 800gb ssd drive
Only limited to single input controller, no built in cross platform peripherals support
Region locks
Can do nothing except gaming and limited streaming through apps often inferior to other platforms

"Paid multiplayer" that is true, but you should calculate your yearly electrical bill with those 400-500w PCs.
"Expensive games". That is not true, in fact usually get physical games cheaper than Steam, unless you are talking about the sites with keys got from stolen cards, and other questionable practices.
"Less than 800gb SSD drive". What do you expect on $400 machine? a similar nVME of 1TB is around $200-250. And on 1TB machine you get less than 1000GB too.
"Only limited to single input controller", that is false, its a developers problem, no console problem. I can play Valhalla and last Ubisoft games or FF XIV with mouse and keyboard on my PS5.
"Region locks" false. I can play my asian Blu ray games on my European PS4 Pro and PS5. Even you can buy games on other regions digitally, creating psn account on that region.
"Can do nothing except gaming and limited streaming through apps often inferior to other platforms", yes, that is because people buy consoles, they only want to play with their machines, they have a tablet for the other uses.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Consoles = resolution, PC = framerate, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's not a secret (or maybe it is seeing all those PC vs console articles appearing every now and then?) that the absolute dominating PC resolution is 1080p, given its nature and the size of the screen you can comfortably put right in front of you on the desk, if someone is really serious about gaming he has a 1440p high refresh rate display, but that's about it, 4K on PC exists pretty much only in the internet benchmarks, in reality barely anyone plays in 4K (I personally do but I am fully aware I'm in the vast, vast minority), so given all of the above, 3060 is already outpacing the consoles by a huge margin. It actually makes me wonder what it takes to build a mere 1080p60+RT capable PC nowadays?

mrmeh

Just spent nearly £1k on a new PC (went cheap on CPU and Gfx card as preferred choices were unavailable) ...It's not as powerful as my XsX... yet.

I have been building PC's for 35 years, so many :) and I love them, I love the versatility, I love the tech and I love the variety. They offer plenty of long term value but as demonstrated by my recent purchase, but they do not offer the same upfront value as a console which consumers are buying just above cost price.

Consoles are simply more fun to play on, they are pure entertainment and everything just works, definitely not a guarantee with my PC.

For me my console is a living room experience that a pc even with steam big picture mode never seemed to match, while my PC up in my office offers a better experience with different types of games (sim/strategy/mouse/keyb).

It's pretty dumb to argue in general one is better than the other as that's clearly not the case.

mrmeh

...It actually makes me wonder what it takes to build a mere 1080p60+RT capable PC nowadays?

....well in the UK just for the gfx card about £1k....at Scan there a no RT cards in stock at all, Ebuyer has a 2080 variant for 1k... Absolute shit show.

Piad less then 80 bucks for my ps4 pro when the PS4 released in pc hardware.

See how that works.

Somebody that upgrades to a 3060 just replaces his gpu and its done. simple as that. its 330 he spends and he can resell his gpu.

Also those pc prices are beyond laughable.

GPU u can make it as expensive as u want. 150 buck card will do fine stil to this day.

200-300 buck cpu? more like 80 bucks 10100f, cores are not interesting when they are not used and when u need more cores? u just upgrade to a budget more core version a year later, power of pc building

150 motherboard + ram? more like 60 bucks + 25 bucks ( yea shit is that cheap) so 70 bucks

300 for a case psu cpu cooler and cables? what are you building? case is as expensive as u want it to be, it just holds parts nothing more, its straight up 25 bucks u already have a case, psu cooler is boxed in with the cpu no cost at all, and power supply 37 bucks. What the hell are you even building

Mouse keyboard again as expensive as u make it, i got a 5 buck keyboard best shit ever, my mouse is more expensive but that's because i want it too, u can buy mouses for like 5 bucks easily also which work perfectly fine.

more like like 1-3 bucks windows if you even want to buy it to start with

so lets see how much that is
80 = cpu
150 = gpu
60 = motherboard
0 = cpu cooler
25 = ram
25 = case
37 = power supply
10 = mouse,keyboard,windows

total: 387

U tried tho.
So that's a shitty PC compared with a $500 console

I'm PC Master Race, too but anyone acting like consoles are not leagues ahead in value for your money this generation are delusional.

Especially the Xbox Series X.
Nothing comes close to it.

I'm a PC gamer first but current prices are just insane. That's why I bought a XSX. When prices go back to normal, PCs are a great value proposition.

Melubas

Consoles = resolution, PC = framerate, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's not a secret (or maybe it is seeing all those PC vs console articles appearing every now and then?) that the absolute dominating PC resolution is 1080p, given its nature and the size of the screen you can comfortably put right in front of you on the desk, if someone is really serious about gaming he has a 1440p high refresh rate display, but that's about it, 4K on PC exists pretty much only in the internet benchmarks, in reality barely anyone plays in 4K (I personally do but I am fully aware I'm in the vast, vast minority), so given all of the above, 3060 is already outpacing the consoles by a huge margin. It actually makes me wonder what it takes to build a mere 1080p60+RT capable PC nowadays?

Is 4k really that rare on PC? Not saying you're wrong, I have no idea about the statistics, but I've played in almost exclusively 4k on my PC since about 2017. When I read your post I thought about all my PC friends and realised none of them play in 4k though, haha.

To the topic: PC is expensive up front, no contest, but I can honestly say that the PC I have now was bought in 2016 and the only big upgrade I've made is when I bought a 1080 TI on release. Other than that I have basically just upgraded to more SSD:s and installed a couple more fans, plus overclocked my CPU, and it still runs most games in 4k 60 fps. Overall the value I've got from this PC is insane. I'd say the median price for games for me has been about 200 swedish crowns (about 24 dollars). The online has always been free, and native 4k is soooo much better than the pseudo 4k that was used on PS4 Pro and Xbox (I always found it very blurry in motion).

There's nothing wrong with consoles per se but I'm convinced the PC wins out in price over the years, even though the initial cost is way higher. I never had any major software problems with windows or games not working, the ones I had were fixed in 15 minutes by googling. If a broken game is released it's way easier to fix on PC since modders usually do that stuff fast and for free, while on console you're stuck waiting for the developers to put out a patch, if they do at all.

That said I love the exclusives on my PS4 Pro and it has given me many amazing experiences through the years :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
1000 is a very limiting budget for a pc. In fact 2k is too.
Nobody wants 6c 12t. You want 8c 16t cpu and that's 5800x. Then you want pcie x4 for that fast nvme. That's x570... Gpu? Shame to put 3060 in it, gotta get 70 or 80.
Oh 20usd keyboard? Nope... Keyboard is 200...
Pc is hell of money and problems. I know, I am a pc gamer since 1997 and love/hate it :p
It goes like this forever. You can build for 1k no problems but it's cutting corners city.

Also getting a gpu is just impossible and prices are doubled from msrp. My 3080 was the last one sold at msrp lol. Getting it for msrp now sounds like I made a great deal.

For ps5 I had to wait since release. It's finally coming today but I think it will speed up

Hahaha.
Nobody wants 6 cores.
Lets just see about that....and the Survey says:
Zfm4dfy.jpg

Whoops its the fastest growing core count and the second most popular and rising, it will be the most popular core count by June.

But lets see actual game performance because everyone believes consoles use 8 cores for gaming (they dont) so obviously on PC you will also need 8 cores.
QU4ysqr5zC3ANfG9kSfPhb-970-80.png

Hold up what the fuck.....the 5600X easily keeps up with its 8 and 12 core brothers.
It even keeps up with Intel 8 cores when we know certain games just love Intel because reason.
Hmm this needing 8 cores thing might need to be reevaluated.

Need X570 to get PCIE4?
I guess B550 just disappeared?
And what advantages does PCIE4 bring to gaming?
Show me any empirical evidence of PCIE4 bringing anything substancial to gaming over PCIE3.

For someone who has been a PC gaming since the 90s you seemingly eat up alot of shit.

G-DannY

don't forget the most obvious advantage you get with a PC, for that premium prices, compared to consoles...

lotta cheatin'

Last edited:
Comparing pc vs consoles is faulty concept.

Both play games but thats it.

PC is worth nothing when I want to play Playstation games. And vise versa

Building good enough gaming pc costs 1000-2000€, why build shitty PC that doesnt run games noticeably better (2-3x better at least) when consoles do the same?

PC takes much more space + needs separate desk + chair, unless you use it for tv+couch, but then console is easier again.

And console games arent that expensive, most launch games (within 1-6 weeks) cost 30€ when buying used copies. + Older games are 5-10€

Meanwhile PC people buy 100 - 10000 (seen that too) from steam sales "because they are cheap". And never play em

Building good enough gaming pc costs 1000-2000€, why build shitty PC that doesnt run games noticeably better (2-3x better at least) when consoles do the same?

Because PC gaming is not about playing console games at better details. This is what console gamers think because they're not pc gamers and they dont really know what they're talking about. PC gaming encompases near half a century of games, from every genre under the sun. You can play games with mouse and keyboard, which is one of the main reasons i do pc gaming. You have access to thousands of exclusives that have come out over the years, many of the best games made. You can tweak and adjust your experience in limitless ways. you can use any peripheral, you can game with flightsticks, with wheels, pedals and so on. You can mod every game you want and get countless hours of fresh experiences of them.

Any shitty pc from 15 years ago gives you acces to a lifetime of gaming library. Right now the prices being what they are its not exactly the best moment to build. But next year, with the next gen of gpu's a 250$ card will wipe the floor with both consoles, stronger cpu's will be 100-150$. You will absolutely make a PC for 500-600 dollars in a couple of years that shits on both consoles

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

and then this PC is ...

$330-$400 GPU
$200-$300 CPU
$150 motherboard, RAM
$300 case, PSU, CPU cooler, cables, etc (edit- forgot to write SSD in this part)
$50 mouse & keyboard
$100 Windows

And no don't count "I have old parts I can sell or I already have some of those" because that works with consoles as well. I paid less than $180 for my PS4 because I had my PS3 and games to sell off, etc.

25 years later, and PC enthusiast are still salty and still need to convince themselves how PCMR they are.

Fucking Nerds (and yes i am a PC gamer too you know).

GametimeUK

Ridiculous slippery slope argument. The sale price has historically been $30. You can verify this by doing a quick google search.

I don't know why out of my whole response you've decided to just focus on the baseline price of PSN being $30 like I somehow disagreed with you.

Nevermind, we obviously aren't on the same wavelength. Ending the discussion in public if you want to discuss further just DM me.

Last edited:

Loope

25 years later, and PC enthusiast are still salty and still need to convince themselves how PCMR they are.

Fucking Nerds (and yes i am a PC gamer too you know).
Or maybe,just maybe this type of video, serves as a guideline for what system you can buy to get through the generation without spending huge ammounts of money. Also, hilarious how some people here go straight to 2000€ builds that you must own, i mean everyone is perfectly fine with consoles cutting corners, but when you build a pc, holly shit, it must go balls out or else it is not the same.

Thirty7ven

Banned
PC gamers pretending their gaming PC is used for anything other than gaming and their laptop for work is some of the funniest shit. I know a guy like that, every 4 or 5 years spends ~ 1.5k on new builds, citing work as one of the reasons why it's sensible to spend that kind of money. He also needs two 144hz Feesync, Gsync, monitors. For work you ask? Nah don't be daft, he needs the second monitor for fucking discord, there's no other way to play World of Warcrat! He also needs a laptop, for what? For work. He also needs an OLED tablet, for comic books... What about his phone you ask? I wish you could hear him wax on about the waste of money smartphones are, and how proud he is of only having spent 300$ on a phone, enough for him, and should be enough for everybody he says.

Lesson? Don't try to make everyone a fool just so you can convince yourself of the "value" something you want does or does not have. People who spend considerable money on gaming PC's aren't searching for value, they are catching the wave.

Last edited:

nkarafo

A 1000$ PC should be enough % more powerful than the consoles so it lasts the whole gen.

I never build a more expensive PC than round 800-900 euros. And i'm still always able to play games with slightly better then console graphics but 60fps instead of 30 (in most cases).

TriSuit666

Banned

and then this PC is ...

$330-$400 GPU
$200-$300 CPU
$150 motherboard, RAM
$50 mouse & keyboard
$100 Windows

Windows isn't $100, lol. It can be had for free from Microsoft themselves if you're willing to go into the Insider Programme.

TriSuit666

Banned
PC gamers pretending their gaming PC is used for anything other than gaming and their laptop for work is some of the funniest shit. I know a guy like that, every 4 or 5 years spends ~ 1.5k on new builds, citing work as one of the reasons why it's sensible to spend that kind of money. He also needs two 144hz Feesync, Gsync, monitors. For work you ask? Nah don't be daft, he needs the second monitor for fucking discord, there's no other way to play World of Warcrat! He also needs a laptop, for what? For work. He also needs an OLED tablet, for comic books... What about his phone you ask? I wish you could hear him wax on about the waste of money smartphones are, and how proud he is of only having spent 300$ on a phone, enough for him, and should be enough for everybody he says.

Lesson? Don't try to make everyone a fool just so you can convince yourself of the "value" something you want does or does not have. People who spend considerable money on gaming PC's aren't searching for value, they are catching the wave.

Don't be a twat - value is in the eye of the beholder. Value to a millionnaire will be different to someone with no money.

Why do you think Monster sells those $800 wooden speaker cable isolation stands?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As a lazy guy who doesn't want to build my own PC, how many years until the RTX3060 is actually in a Dell?

Depending on your region and budget you can just get an system builder to do one for you, Dell are guaranteed to skimp on pretty much everything including having a special terrible version of the GPU that will most likely thermal throttle.

The £1300 version of that comes with a 3060 Ti, dells with a RTX 2060 cost about £1500 by comparison and come with worse parts everywhere else.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Don't be a twat - value is in the eye of the beholder. Value to a millionnaire will be different to someone with no money.

Why do you think Monster sells those $800 wooden speaker cable isolation stands?

That's exactly what I'm saying. There's personal value, and then there's the actual value as in cost of production vs sale price. And people trying to argue that on the latter, PCs can compete with consoles (at least around console launches) are just being insecure.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Console folks forget that the most expensive PC, is always your first. Because you have to buy all parts.

After that, you can re-use a lot of stuff. You don't need to buy a new case. You can re-use your SSD or any other HD drive you might have. You can re-use your keyboard-mouse obviously. And your Windows copy. If you got a good PSU, you can re-use that one as well, at least for one more build. Also you don't need a new cooler as CPUs usually come with a stock one. You don't change the console cooler with a better one now, do you?

Basically what you need is 4 things, Mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM. That's what counts as a new build because these are the things you can't re-use. Well, you can re-use the GPU but you want a new one anyway.

I'm not even talking about re-selling stuff. But your next PC can be much cheaper than your first, as a base price anyway.

Last edited:

Loope

What the fuck is this shit? Because a friend of yours does it everyone is like him? I absolutely use my pc for work, i do have a work laptop which i use to respond to mails because it's a bit weak for cad work and structural analysis. Also i built my pc around it and use it for gaming for which i spent what i needed to spend in order to achieve a good balance.

What to say about console gamers when they go on and on about graphics, yet when someone says: This is the game at ultra specs (which i don't do), you all go on a fucking frenzy about prices and shit.

Not that you can buy either an RTX 3060 or a PS5 here in Sweden, but on paper the RTX 3060 costs the same or a bit more than the PS5 here, depending on manufacturer so...

In many ways these comparisons are just pointless. There are good arguments both for getting a console or a PC (or both!) depending on, well, many many factors. 🤷‍♂️ I mean, don't people already know the pros and cons, and the possibilities/limitations of both options?

Loope

Not that you can buy either an RTX 3060 or a PS5 here in Sweden, but on paper the RTX 3060 costs the same or a bit more than the PS5 here, depending on manufacturer so...

In many ways these comparisons are just pointless. There are good arguments both for getting a console or a PC (or both!) depending on, well, many many factors. 🤷‍♂️ I mean, don't people already know the pros and cons, and the possibilities/limitations of both options?
This should serve as good guide for someone that wants to get into this gen and not rob the bank.

But sadly pc gamers always use these videos as some sort of weapon to throw and console gamers and console gamers get triggered immediately going on and on about money spent.

ZywyPL

Banned
Is 4k really that rare on PC? Not saying you're wrong, I have no idea about the statistics, but I've played in almost exclusively 4k on my PC since about 2017. When I read your post I thought about all my PC friends and realised none of them play in 4k though, haha.

Exactly, unless you have your PC hooked up to a TV, which almost nobody does, because that's precisely why people buy consoles for in the first place, then 4K is pretty much out of the question, most people use 22-24", and those don;t even come with QHD.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The GeForce RTX 3060 gives the latest consoles a run for their money at an affordable price. But is it a more powerful alternative at the same price? Let's take a look.

It's been an interesting few months for video gaming hardware and Nvidia doesn't want that momentum to slow down anytime soon. During CES 2021, Nvidia finally revealed their mid-tier graphics card for the RTX 30 series, the RTX 3060. Nvidia's RTX 3060 is meant to directly target midrange gamers who might still be stuck on their old GTX 1060's, stating that the new 3060's can run game at a steady 1080p, 60 frames per second with Ray Tracing and DLSS on. We compare some of these preliminary stats to the competitively priced next-gen consoles, PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X. While PS5 and Xbox Series X players can expect to play most games at 4K resolution, some even with ray tracing on and generally only at 30 frames per second, the RTX 3060 looks to give players that generous boost in fps while using Nvidia's DLSS technology for a lower price point.

Another day, another stupid youtuber comparing GPU alone to complete gaming machines.

TriSuit666

Banned
That's exactly what I'm saying. There's personal value, and then there's the actual value as in cost of production vs sale price. And people trying to argue that on the latter, PCs can compete with consoles (at least around console launches) are just being insecure.
Then I humbly retract the 'don't be a twat' - have some apologies, too.

Fredrik

Another day, another stupid youtuber comparing GPU alone to complete gaming machines.
You didn’t watch the video?
He explained for like 2 minutes why it was near impossible to buy a complete PC for $500 that could in any way compete with consoles since the GPU alone would eat up most of the budget.

Essentially concludes that it’s an alternative for PC gamers already sitting with a PC who only need to worry about the upgrade cost, fitting upgrade for 1060 owners gaming at 1080p who wants console-like performance with the other benefits PC gaming brings.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

and then this PC is ...

$330-$400 GPU
$200-$300 CPU
$150 motherboard, RAM
$50 mouse & keyboard
$100 Windows

nobody can get that gpu for 330 440 lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bumping in light of XBL Gold’s price hike.

Right now PC and Switch looks a killer combo, with a revised PS5 at the end of the gen for the cheap exclusives.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A graphics card won’t play games by itself...just like saying “ it’s better on pc” doesn’t mean it’s better on every pc...

I don’t understand why these things must be repeated. PC gaming can be great but it’s going to almost always be more expensive than consoles to get an equal or better experience.

Last edited:
This is a dilemma I'm in at the moment, I'm waiting til May for Res 8 to arrive and am going back and forth whether to get a new console or build a new PC.

A graphics card won’t play games by itself...just like saying “ it’s better on pc” doesn’t mean it’s better on every pc...

I don’t understand why these things must be repeated. PC gaming can be great but it’s going to almost always be more expensive than consoles to get an equal or better experience.

Its gonna be more expensive if you want to make the equivalent computer in the very day the consoles launch. Wait a year and a half for the next gen computer hardware and you're gonna absolutely be able to make a computer around the price of a console thats faster. And equivalent costs never make sense since you're not buying hardware by the gazzilions at a discount and selling it at a loss. Plus youre doing a million things with a PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its gonna be more expensive if you want to make the equivalent computer in the very day the consoles launch. Wait a year and a half for the next gen computer hardware and you're gonna absolutely be able to make a computer around the price of a console thats faster. And equivalent costs never make sense since you're not buying hardware by the gazzilions at a discount and selling it at a loss. Plus youre doing a million things with a PC.
I only game on my gaming pc. You don’t need a thousand dollar gaming pc to “ do other things” And after just buying a good controller , good keyboard and a good mouse, plus windows os it’s self You are already over $200.

Again pc gaming is great but expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom