• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 30 Super refresh all but confirmed.

Rikkori

That 3060 Super looking JUICY AF! Might have to sell my 6800...

dripping ice cream GIF

Why would you buy this when 40 series is coming so soon? Seems like a big ol waste of money.
Imo I think all we're gonna see in '22 of RDNA 3 & RTX 4000s are the top end cards ala x90 etc and with the rumours around super-juiced 4090 & MCM 7970 whatever then that means $1500+ at a bare minimum. And that's end of the year too. So if you want a $300-400 cards then really next gen of GPUs is only going to be from 2H '23 onwards. Availability is also going to remain questionable, as only from '24 are any of the manuf.s saying things will balance.

xx90 Super
xx80 Super
xx70 Super

Are all worse than their Ti variants.

They are basically replacements for the standard 70, 80 and 90.

The RTX 3060 Super is a big fuck you to all 3060, 60Ti and 70 owners though.
Because, its maybe ~10fps(max) slower than the 3070 but has a lot more VRAM....likely running alittle bit slower at like 360GB/s vs the RTX 3060Ti and RTX 3070 which run at 448GB/s.
The RTX 3070Ti runs at 608GB/s
But all these cards basically cannibalize each other....so might as well get the cheapest one you can find.

Not confusing at all right?
Yeah 3060 super will better than everything but the 3080 super and up in this refresh which is just bizarre. I'm assuming nvidia is just throwing every possible binned chip out there now regardless if the stack makes sense.

Curious if the 3060 super will get higher clocked memory to close the gap between it and 3070

iHaunter

I really dont understand this when nobody can even get a 3080...like get your production supply figured out first come on..
Me and my friend went to Microcenter so I could get the Corsair Airflow 5000D. We both grabbed a 3080Ti each to our surprise. Check out local stores.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Imagine if the refreshed cards had higher hash rates re-enabled.

People would be pissed... but would still buy. Unfortunately that's the reality of the world, when Nvidia is the top player in the game and can do whatever they want and still get away with it.

Last edited:
Don't the TI variant's make the Super's irrelevant?
Pretty much all the regular cards make those super variants irrelevant. I thought this will be on 7nm... so you could get high MHz [just looks at those 6800 running at 2,6-9 Ghz, that would be a nice upgrade], but no who will even care for 3080 Super that is maybe 2% faster, than regular 3080 they been playing with for a year now?

kiphalfton

Come on Nvidia

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Nvidia has been getting absolutely stupid with their lineup since Turing. But like I keep telling people, it's to close the pricing gap between SKU's, so there is a hard upper and lower limit to the prices (i.e. you shouldn't expect to find a RTX 3070 for cheaper than an RTX 3060 Ti, a RTX 3060 Ti for cheaper than an RTX 3060, etc.).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't the TI variant's make the Super's irrelevant?
Super variants replace base models.
Tis are "supposed" to be upgrades on Standards (and even Supers)
In this case the 3060 Super is actually a true upgrade.
Itll absolutely eat the 3060 alive and probably walk a 3060Ti cept at higher framerates and resolutions.
Yeah 3060 super will better than everything but the 3080 super and up in this refresh which is just bizarre. I'm assuming nvidia is just throwing every possible binned chip out there now regardless if the stack makes sense.

Curious if the 3060 super will get higher clocked memory to close the gap between it and 3070
I doubt it from the memory config imma guess they keep it below the 3070 but in actually gaming applications assuming you arent hunting every last frame it should actually make everything above it obsolete till you reach the RTX 3080.

Which is why the CUDA count sounds suspicious why would they pretty much gimp all their midrange chips by releasing a perfect midranger.

Do you mean most?
Cuz 3500 CUDA cores is a farce.
Its a 2060 Super with VRAM that will never get filled cuz itll choke well before that.
Its not better than the card its replacing?

pALdTM5.png
No, I meant least. You get worse performance in most games today, but games that need more than 8gb for textures you can ramp it up on 3060 whilst the 3070 could be 1 or 2 settings lower.

Having max textures and then relying on dlss will give the 3060 legs while the ti, and 70 cards are already at their limit. The latter cards are junk with no legs later in the generation unless you gimp textures.

3080 with 10gb will always be better though, even if you have to use one setting lower textures later on everything else is far better than 3060.

Last edited:
There are already examples like doom eternal at 4k and worse with RT where 8gb is not enough on 3070. And that game is on the ps4 ; that is unacceptable. If the market was better people would be laughing at 8gb which we have on the damn 1070! But since nobody can find cards people buy them.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

No, I meant least. You get worse performance in most games today, but games that need more than 8gb for textures you can ramp it up on 3060 whilst the 3070 could be 1 or 2 settings lower.

Having max textures and then relying on dlss will give the 3060 legs while the ti, and 70 cards are already at their limit. The latter cards are junk with no legs later in the generation unless you gimp textures.

3080 with 10gb will always be better though, even if you have to use one setting lower textures later on everything else is far better than 3060.
Id like to see any game where the RTX 3060 out performs a 3070 even with max ultra super textures.
VRAM is practically pointless if your chips conks out before it can utilize that VRAM.
Youll get more stuttering from reaching your powerlimit than from maxing out VRAM in a RTX3070 vs RTX3060 fight.

Devs arent going to be pushing beyond 4K textures anytime soon and when they do that game will still run better on the RTX3070 than on the RTX3060.
The 3060 CUDA drop is absolutely massive they arent even in the same league.
Legit I think Nvidia accidentally badge the RTX3050 a 3060 cuz the gap is just that large..

Id like to see any game where the RTX 3060 out performs a 3070 even with max ultra super textures.
VRAM is practically pointless if your chips conks out before it can utilize that VRAM.
Youll get more stuttering from reaching your powerlimit than from maxing out VRAM in a RTX3070 vs RTX3060 fight.

Devs arent going to be pushing beyond 4K textures anytime soon and when they do that game will still run better on the RTX3070 than on the RTX3060.
The 3060 CUDA drop is absolutely massive they arent even in the same league.
Legit I think Nvidia accidentally badge the RTX3050 a 3060 cuz the gap is just that large..
Wrong, and also short sighted.

Doesn’t matter if it’s faster or not ; if 3070 runs out of vram you will dip into system ram and see chugging that you won’t get on 3060.

You’re not listening either ; having better textures will make a better looking game. You’d likely be using dlss by the time 3070 starts struggling but 3060 also has it.

On witcher 3 I had a 1050ti but was able to use max textures with near 0 performance hit. Those max textures matter a whole lot more than AO or max shadows for example. That’s the benefit of ample vram.

Edit : the point isn’t even 3060 vs 3070/ti/super but just the fact that these cards have been gimped with not enough memory to always perform their best ; 3060 has no such bottleneck.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Doesn’t matter if it’s faster or not ; if 3070 runs out of vram you will dip into system ram and see chugging that you won’t get on 3060.

You’re not listening either ; having better textured will make a better looking game.
So the CUDA advantage.....the memory bus advantage dont matter because you have 4GB more VRAM?
And thats gonna get you better performance overall?

Mate you call me shortsighted?
With directstorage round the corner the RTX 3070s bus advantage will be able to switch that 4GB non-advantage in no time.
Sampler Feedback will make Texture management so much easier.
But theres nothing you can do about having slow memory and so few CUDA cores.

Call me when a game runs better on the RTX 3060 than on the RTX3070.
I drink and smoke so can it please be within the next 50 years?
After that I dont think its relevant at all.

Hezekiah

Banned
When do we realistically expect Lovelace to be released? I'm really tempted to splurge on a 3080S if I can get one, but just wonder what kind of jump we'll be getting with the 4000 series.

kiphalfton

Cool. Who do I have to blow to get one at MSRP?

Get in line
There are already examples like doom eternal at 4k and worse with RT where 8gb is not enough on 3070. And that game is on the ps4 ; that is unacceptable. If the market was better people would be laughing at 8gb which we have on the damn 1070! But since nobody can find cards people buy them.

Well unfortunately it's like with Apple stuff. Nvidia knows they can drag their feet in regards to upping VRAM.

I'm hoping 4000 series breaks the trend, and VRAM is at least 10gb if not 12gb minimum across all card models. Probably not gonna happen, but it's about damn time 8gb stop being used as the de facto amount of VRAM.

Reallink

Looks like the rumored Refresh is real.
Known leaker even has rumored specs

The RTX 30 SUPER will be a stop-gap between Ampere and Lovelace, for this reason, NVIDIA does not want to compete with its own products, but rather give its existing SKUs a bit more power and hopefully also more choice to customers (who may or may not be able to find them the shelves one day).

The RTX 30 SUPER SKUs are not making the current lineup any less confusing than it already was. Should the specs be confirmed, the SKU spam will definitely cause a headache to many enthusiasts, especially those looking at the XX60 series.

zdxyIgT.png

aOgPzsi.png

Whats slightly more Interesting is that Nvidia plan to have two product launches in the same year.

Ampere Refresh and Lovelace.

Ill eat my crow with a side of salad please.
I called Nvidia wouldnt do a Super refresh so close to Lovelace.

Regardless of what their product timetable WAS, there's little chance any of the companies release genuine next-gen architectures before supply is at least partially normalized. When you're not even close to satisfying half of demand and are selling every unit you can possibly produce at 2 times+ list price, there's simply no reason to. And if by some chance they do (i.e. to produce more supply on 2 nodes), the 3XXX's will have to remain in production meaning the 4XXX's product stack won't exists, it'll be an extension of the current stack. They'll have to be sold at MSRP's that are in line with their performance gains (e.g. +60%, +100%, or what have you). So a 4080 with a 60% advantage over the 3080 would have to carry an MSRP well above the 3090/3080Ti as it'll compete directly (and be sold concurrently with) the 3XXX's.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I got my 3090 for £1399 which is cheaper than the 3080ti cards go for so I'm more than happy with my card being now the 2nd fastest card as I believe the 3090 super will be £2k minimum.

Dream-Knife

Banned
That 3060 Super looking JUICY AF! Might have to sell my 6800...

dripping ice cream GIF
Why? It will have less performance than a 3070, and a 6800 is better than a 3070.

You’re not listening either ; having better textures will make a better looking game. You’d likely be using dlss by the time 3070 starts struggling but 3060 also has it.

On witcher 3 I had a 1050ti but was able to use max textures with near 0 performance hit. Those max textures matter a whole lot more than AO or max shadows for example. That’s the benefit of ample vram.

Edit : the point isn’t even 3060 vs 3070/ti/super but just the fact that these cards have been gimped with not enough memory to always perform their best ; 3060 has no such bottleneck.
Aren't we already seeing that with FC6? Granted it's for 4k, but apparently it needs 10gb of VRAM for 4k.

Hawk269

Making a refresh for cards you cant buy since they sell out immediately is kind of weird. Unless they can magically make millions of them....this is going to be a shit show. I have been wanting a 3090 since it was announced and still can't get one...I refuse to pay a scalper and refuse to pay more than MSRP....so yeah...I will never get a new card.

Dr_Salt

I find it funny that the 3060 is in least need of an upgrade. 12gb vram makes it better than the 3070 long term ; when that card starts to choke and you can't use high res textures anymore lol. 3080 with 10gb I would obviously prefer though. Even though it's still funny it's 2gb less.

Happy with my 3060.

Wait the 3070 super is STILL 8GB? Man that is so dumb.
All of that vram won't be useful when you can't even run the games.

All of that vram won't be useful when you can't even run the games.
At the point when 3060 can't run a game, 3070 won't either. And before that point, i'll have been able to have higher textures than 3070. I made games look great on 1050ti 4gb by dialing down settings, but kept high textures and could hit 60fps in witcher 3. 3060 has dlss to help on top of high vram ; the gpu has longevity.

A lot of you PC gamers really don't know the ins and outs of the hardware do you?

At the point when 3060 can't run a game, 3070 won't either. And before that point, i'll have been able to have higher textures than 3070. I made games look great on 1050ti 4gb by dialing down settings, but kept high textures and could hit 60fps in witcher 3. 3060 has dlss to help on top of high vram ; the gpu has longevity.

A lot of you PC gamers really don't know the ins and outs of the hardware do you?
I think you put too much weight into textures.

Why? It will have less performance than a 3070, and a 6800 is better than a 3070.

Aren't we already seeing that with FC6? Granted it's for 4k, but apparently it needs 10gb of VRAM for 4k.
Well, the recommended specs call for a 3080 but those aren't usually accurate guidelines.

But I absolutely would not be surprised if 8gb cards have issues at 4k with the highest textures and RT like doom. I mean, these are cross gen games people.

I think you put too much weight into textures.
They're more important than a lot of other settings and if hypothetically you had a game at 4k dlss on both the 3060 and 3070 but medium textures on the 70, but ultra on the 60 I can pretty much guarantee it will look better on 60. RT and textures are going to eat up vram fast.

Just wait, you'll see videos on this at some point. The og 2060 with 6gb was gimped even on bf5 with RT at 1080p because of not enough vram.

They're more important than a lot of other settings and if hypothetically you had a game at 4k dlss on both the 3060 and 3070 but medium textures on the 70, but ultra on the 60 I can pretty much guarantee it will look better on 60. RT and textures are going to eat up vram fast.

Just wait, you'll see videos on this at some point. The og 2060 with 6gb was gimped even on bf5 with RT at 1080p because of not enough vram.
3060 ain't running most any game 4k plus rt

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why would you buy this when 40 series is coming so soon? Seems like a big ol waste of money.
Why would you sell them, when that means you have to design and test and develop drivers for them when the 4000 series is coming soon and every existing GPU sells out? It has to be just part of a longer term marketing strategy. Get the people with 3000 series to get a little jealous now so they jump on the 4000 series.

supernova8

Banned
192-bit memory bus though

Right fair enough. Well compared to my old GTX 1650 I would be more than happy if I could get it for MSRP (having sold my GTX 1650 for $200 looooooooooooooooooooooooooool suckerzzzzzzzzzz double what I paid for it used)

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Do you mean most?
Cuz 3500 CUDA cores is a farce.
Its a 2060 Super with VRAM that will never get filled cuz itll choke well before that.
Its not better than the card its replacing?

pALdTM5.png
Surely the 3060 is better than the 2060 super for ray tracing though. A lot of people tout Nvidia cards as better because of RT but practically all of the benchmark youtubers have RT switched off so it's hard to find the real difference. I noticed that 2060 Super actually beats 3060 in CP2077 without DLSS or RT but if you turn those on surely the 3060 would get a bit of a boost... or...nope?

Kenpachii

The super refresh makes sense for nvidia for the simple reason they can sell them for scalper prices themselves.

Thabass

My 3080 is basically bricked. Whenever the card gets too hot it crashes my system. The 3080 line is a POS.

Neo_game

Surely the 3060 is better than the 2060 super for ray tracing though. A lot of people tout Nvidia cards as better because of RT but practically all of the benchmark youtubers have RT switched off so it's hard to find the real difference. I noticed that 2060 Super actually beats 3060 in CP2077 without DLSS or RT but if you turn those on surely the 3060 would get a bit of a boost... or...nope?

It gives RTX 2070, 5700XT performance and with RT 2070S.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Looks like the rumored Refresh is real.
Known leaker even has rumored specs

The RTX 30 SUPER will be a stop-gap between Ampere and Lovelace, for this reason, NVIDIA does not want to compete with its own products, but rather give its existing SKUs a bit more power and hopefully also more choice to customers (who may or may not be able to find them the shelves one day).

The RTX 30 SUPER SKUs are not making the current lineup any less confusing than it already was. Should the specs be confirmed, the SKU spam will definitely cause a headache to many enthusiasts, especially those looking at the XX60 series.

zdxyIgT.png

aOgPzsi.png

Whats slightly more Interesting is that Nvidia plan to have two product launches in the same year.

Ampere Refresh and Lovelace.

Ill eat my crow with a side of salad please.
I called Nvidia wouldnt do a Super refresh so close to Lovelace.

So for those who paid a massive amount for scalpers with their 8GB of VRAM now will get the middle finger...

Top Bottom