• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 2080 Ti Can Barely hit 30fps at 1080p ultra running Watch Dogs Legion

Stuart360

The actual DF video, that wasnt posted for some reason -

By open world standards, i think the game looks stunning. And i didnt realize it was a different dev team making this, thats a good thing imo.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sure; but PC gamers aren't expecting to run next-gen at "4k120" with 2 year old cards, it's about the upcoming generation of cards.

And that will include much more affordable options than the ridiculous 80/80TI series cards.

Most of us actually don't give half a shit about running games on "Ultra" either; it's about buying what you can afford and then running the games how you want to. Crank details if you care less about framerate, or tune to framerate if that's your preference.
tbh if i just dunked 1300 on a card and couldn't max out borderlands 3 i would be disappointed

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
oh rly, pcboy?

are you really telling us your current pc is only master race when faced with games made for 7 yo consoles? And btw this is a crossgen game.

what a wimp

Yes in general with each new console generation you have to upgrade your graphics card if you want to really get ahead of the curve on details/performance.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The actual DF video, that wasnt posted for some reason -

By open world standards, i think the game looks stunning. And i didnt realize it was a different dev team making this, thats a good thing imo.

I always thought 2 looked pretty good, so if it matches that then I'm fine with how it looks. They actually put a lot of details into WD2's world and it made a huge difference, so I'm hoping for the same thing here.

Mister Wolf

tbh if i just dunked 1300 on a card and couldn't max out borderlands 3 i would be disappointed

blob

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Watch Dogs 2 is also the most terrible and abysmal Ubi PC port ever with absolutely insane CPU / GPU usage / temps and requirements. I can't help but to expect even worse from Legion.

IntentionalPun

"Maxing out" is rather meaningless on it's own. PC devs include all kinds of settings that might not be ready for prime time, or combinations of settings that cause performance hits with little noticeable benefit.

I personally most of the time just let GeForce Experience choose my settings and go from there. Removes the complexity as I honestly don't care THAT MUCH about level of detail; just want good performance and good enough detail.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
"Maxing out" is rather meaningless on it's own. PC devs include all kinds of settings that might not be ready for prime time, or combinations of settings that cause performance hits with little noticeable benefit.

I personally most of the time just let GeForce Experience choose my settings and go from there. Removes the complexity as I honestly don't care THAT MUCH about level of detail; just want good performance and good enough detail.
I know i know but getting the near best GPU for your money and not being able to do stable 60 kinda ruins it imo

Lanrutcon

Very odd.

I just watched some previews, and the game isn't a looker. The pop-in and terrain transformation is incredibly distracting.

YCoCg

And Nvidia want to up their prices even more, at this point consoles will be cheaper than an entry level GPU that will barely handle these games. 😒😕

Watch Dogs 2 is also the most terrible and abysmal Ubi PC port ever with absolutely insane CPU / GPU usage / temps and requirements. I can't help but to expect even worse from Legion.
Not at all. For the graphics you get performance is on point. Runs pretty smooth on any decent gaming rig.

IntentionalPun

I know i know but getting the near best GPU for your money and not being able to do stable 60 kinda ruins it imo
*shrug*

Lower a few settings. It's often nothing that actually matters visually; or if it does.. just means that the game is pushing beyond limits, which isn't a bad thing. Something to look forward to for the next gen of cards. The point of PC gaming is to offer these options for flexibility and sometimes to future proof. Alternatively the dev removes the setting completely and nobody can even try it out 5-6 years later on new cards.

Some devs remove these kind of settings from UIs but still allow them through INI files and the like.

Stuart360

Not at all. For the graphics you get performance is on point. Runs pretty smooth on any decent gaming rig.
It is super demanding PC wise. In fact it was the most demanding game cpu wise, until Assassins Creed Odyssey. When WatchDogs 2 first released, tech sites started using the game to benchmark cpu's, and did for a couple of years.

I don't agree with that, but let's assume so, I'm more than sure they'll get much better optimization than PC that have insanely wide variety of setups.

Well yeah, consoles generally have a fixed spec. One, maybe two targets at most going by what we saw this generation. But that's the main reason (plus justification of large budgets due to system saturation in market sales) that are biggest driving factors by far.

It's not due to differing architectures versus PCs because honestly there's nothing much to either next-gen system that isn't architecturally different to what you can find on PC. The closest is maybe Tempest Engine if indeed it's designed to act more like a Cell SPE, but it would just be a thing which is there. It being present wouldn't automatically equal better games by default.

IntentionalPun

So locked to 30fps or can't hit 30fps?
Which is it?
Big difference.
It was locked.

Likely to stop DF from doing any real performance analysis.. since the game isn't out for months, Ubisoft doesn't want pointless data out there about their pre-release game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You really don't need such a beefy PC to post on Neogaf. Unless there's some other productivity you do that we aren't aware off ;p

Well, it helps with DaVinci Resolve when you crunch videos for timelapse that can reach like 4K@1000+fps to make like 1-2 minutes into few seconds. And rendering is pretty fast as well ;). It helps to open like 50-100 tabs at once to check all the alerts. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

IntentionalPun

My PC though...

DSC-4133.jpg

Radeon VII, Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB RAM, 1TB 3.5GB/s Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB WD SATA3 SSD, etc. I can buy 2x 2080Ti today if I want to, went for Radeon VII for 16GB VRAM and HBM2 1TB/s bandwidth for productivity not gaming.
Are you really pretending you PC game in this thread dude? IIRC you've never even tried to play a game on that rig..

Like WTF Bo.. this shit is some lame console warrior BS thread.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
An unreleased game doesn't run well even on powerful hardware? I'm shocked. Completely shocked. Come on, guys. This shit isn't even remotely optimized yet. On release, if it still runs shit on a 2080ti then we can talk again.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are you really pretending you PC game in this thread dude? IIRC you've never even tried to play a game on that rig..

Like WTF Bo.. this shit is some lame console warrior BS thread.

What's your problem though? Why are you so worked up? I said that I don't game on my PC, it's a choice, I can build a 2080Ti PC next to it today if that's my thing.

If you got a problem with the article, you may contact all those journalists:

Last edited:
Odyssey runs like a dream at 4K on an RTX 2080 TI - and the amount of detail is staggering. You’d need over a thousand people working on a game to pull that off.

Very few studios have that clout.

it does? it doesnt look like it can even achieve 4k 60 locked on ultra settings. i wouldnt call that "runs like a dream".

b0uncyfr0

How are some people calling this game good looking? Sure, it has some ok looking scene's but from what i've seen :

- Aliasing is absolute shit! They have TAA on - which is MSAA (i hope it's only 2x) + FXAA and there are still a shitton of jaggies everywhere . Imagine with just FXAA on lower hardware, you're fucked.
- Some character textures look very dated ( extremely blocky/sqaure ). To me, 2 looked better in this area. It seem's there is quite a variety of low res + high res going on. To be fair, it could be the video so ill reserve judgement on that.
- Not even 60 fps but 30 fps with RT on a 2080Ti. They dont even add that much visually. You could crank up the efx/res and make it look much better. RT can fuck right off.
- DF dude mentions pop-in is good - go to 4:53 ( Guard pops in out of nowhere from shaded pixels). Mustve missed that or was it just a one off :| ?
- No mention of DLSS?

Legion looks bad and dont forget WD2 had pretty shit performance. You had to use the upscaling technique ( not native ) to get decent performance out of it at 1440p or above and there was a noticeable visual difference. To me the technique was always lacking geometrically (if that makes sense). Objects didnt have as much depth to/on them compared to using the native resolution.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

What's your problem though? Why are you so worked up? I said that I don't game on my PC, it's a choice, I can build a 2080Ti PC next to it today if that's my thing.

Those articles don't have incredibly childish PC master race memes in them and weren't written by Sony fanboys who have no intention of ever PC gaming.

I'm not worked up; it's just that I actually like you as a poster. If you want that to change, be my guest.. keep making childish pathetic threads.

Also just because crappy web sites write shit doesn't mean their content is valid either. Nor does it really change the fact you are posting about PC gaming when you have no interest in it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Those articles don't have incredibly childish PC master race memes in them and weren't written by Sony fanboys who have no intention of ever PC gaming.

I'm not worked up; it's just that I actually like you as a poster. If you want that to change, be my guest.. keep making childish pathetic thread.s

I saw one guy attacking you, I know why you are angry now but don't get things mixed up. Please, laugh about it and don't take it seriously. It's what's being reported by journalists, googled again for screenshots, and saw 4K screenshots, so your few posts I read make sense that they didn't want anyone missing around with the trailer? I'll post it after this one...

It just sounds too funny at the moment. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Barnabot

lol at this comment in one these articles:

"The amazing new PS5 with it's incredible "game-changing" ssd speeds will surely run this title at 60FPS. /s"

00_Zer0

Does this series sell well? I'm surprised they keep making these games.
When Ubisoft showed the first game in the series I was hyped beyond belief, then they released the game and the graphics and gameplay were plain trash compared to the overly hyped staged demo and the bullshots of supposed in game graphics.

Many Ubisoft games are unoptimized pieces of trash compared to some of the other leading AAA PC games developers. It goes to show which developers take the time to optimize and take advantage of the PC architecture, and which developers don't.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, and I'm not about to let Ubisoft ever fool me again.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Don't worry guys.. thanks to dlss 2.0 we can run this puppy at 320×240 and upscale the crap out of it. 60 fps is just an upscale away!!!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Those character model are like straight out of a mobile game. I don't get how anyone sees anything impressive in those graphics. Looks horrible for a 2020 title.

It's still a cross-gen, and those character models are probably generated by the system? Not sure if they went to make everyone look unique?

ultrazilla

I'm a 2080 Founder's Edition owner and I think a lot of fellow 2080(and up) card owners knew that these next gen systems
touting native 4k, 60fps HDR, RTX games were being a bit misleading. If the current most powerful cards on the market have
trouble running at 4k 60fps with RTX on, there's simply no way the consoles will hit that either. We're going to be getting
a lot of graphics/performance modes for next gen. Simple as that.

I'd go as far to say that almost any game using RTX will probably be locked to 30fps.

IntentionalPun

I'm a 2080 Founder's Edition owner and I think a lot of fellow 2080(and up) card owners knew that these next gen systems
touting native 4k, 60fps HDR, RTX games were being a bit misleading. If the current most powerful cards on the market have
trouble running at 4k 60fps with RTX on, there's simply no way the consoles will hit that either. We're going to be getting
a lot of graphics/performance modes for next gen. Simple as that.

I'd go as far to say that almost any game using RTX will probably be locked to 30fps.
There's a chance AMD's RT implementation will perform better; but we don't exactly have any confirmation or data to suggest that.

Siri

Banned
it does? it doesnt look like it can even achieve 4k 60 locked on ultra settings. i wouldnt call that "runs like a dream".

That benchmark is for an old build, with older drivers. Odyssey, at4k, maxed out on an RTX 2080 TI, absolutely does run like a dream. I’ve been playing it for two weeks now. The game is SO smooth.

I have an extremely low tolerance for poorly optimized games too, I can spot frame-time issues without requiring on-screen metrics. Stutter of any kind drives me insane.

But I guess if you’re going to argue otherwise there’s not much point in discussing this. I can only tell you what I’m experiencing personally.

TheContact

My PC though...

DSC-4133.jpg

Radeon VII, Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB RAM, 1TB 3.5GB/s Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB WD SATA3 SSD, etc. I can buy 2x 2080Ti today if I want to, went for Radeon VII for 16GB VRAM and HBM2 1TB/s bandwidth for productivity not gaming.

Plus all those LEDs is like another 5% output boost

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Ray tracing is the new buzz word but it's too demanding and the rest suffers for it. The worst is that you can barely tell when it's turned on unless you compare side by side.

A waste of resources.

Top Bottom