• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Super Paper Mario

fart town usa

Gold Member
iu

Picked up Super Paper Mario on the Wii U eShop last weekend. I owned it back when it first released on the Wii but didn't remember much, I never finished it back then either.

I'm having fun with the game but there's a few things that are really annoying.

1. No sound options, I like the music but it's low in the mix and usually gets drowned out by the lengthy text box sound effects or the level sound effects.
  2. No run button. Mario is pretty slow and it's frustrating not being able to actually run. Also, Peach has a higher jump than Mario which just seems wrong.
  3. The accuracy in jumping, the accuracy in the jumping mechanics is really awful. It hasn't prevented me from making progress but it's noticeable. Considering the game is a platformer, the jump mechanics in this game are pretty pathetic.
  4. Art Design, this game has so much empty space. The graphics are downright ugly and feels like the game wasn't even finished in that aspect. Which is weird too cause the game was supposed to be a GCN title. The lack of detail really shows off how underwhelming the visuals are.
large.jpg
iu
iu

1. Not enough combat, the levels so far don't really offer much in terms of combat or level grinding. You literally just jump on enemies, and most are dead within 1 or 2 hits.
That being said, the story is interesting enough and the gameplay is engaging enough to keep me coming back. It's a pretty easy game and the levels are relatively small. Some of the puzzles can be fun too but again, it's pretty entry level stuff and seems designed for children (not surprising).

Looking at gamefaqs, the critic reviews are quite high which is surprising to me. Maybe it was due to the fact that it was on the Wii and something worth playing.

I know there are extremely dedicated Paper Mario fans out there. I've never been a huge fan of the series even though I've played alot of the games. The biggest annoyance for me is the dialogue. Sometimes it just goes on and on and on, most of the time it isn't entertaining. It's just there and lasts far longer than it should.

So what say you Gaf? Big fan of this game, did you hate it? Is it worse than that Sticker game on the 3DS that everyone hates?

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
One of my favorite Nintendo games off all time. I don't own a Switch, but I'll seriously consider one if they ported SPM. (I no longer have my Wii or Wii U)

I might be crazy, but I think the first 4 annoyances you listed are actually some of the reasons why I love it. lmao
-I liked how the weird audio mix gave it an otherworldly feeling.
-The graphics and art design were absolutely beautiful imo. It's kinda like Minimalist Art.
-I felt that the no-run and weird jump added to the RPG-ness of it.

I really love this game. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I remember two things about that game.
The good:
The last stage or so was awesome! There’s this guy that pretty much satirized internet culture when it came out and then
everything goes white as the world disappears.
The bad:
I really hated the hamster wheel.
QVW2UJM.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
I remember two things about that game.
The good:
The last stage or so was awesome! There’s this guy that pretty much satirized internet culture when it came out and then
everything goes white as the world disappears.
The bad:
I really hated the hamster wheel.
QVW2UJM.jpg
Ha, literally did that part last night. I legit fell asleep for a few seconds while running in the wheel. Woke up and was like "WTF am I doing with my life..." Lying in bed with the wife and dogs, playing a fucking Wii game, lol.

Good times.

Bakkus

Ha, literally did that part last night. I legit fell asleep for a few seconds while running in the wheel. Woke up and was like "WTF am I doing with my life..." Lying in bed with the wife and dogs, playing a fucking Wii game, lol.

Good times.
You are not supposed to do that. You're supposed to exit it and get enough money from other places in the level.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You are not supposed to do that. You're supposed to exit it and get enough money from other places in the level.
I know that, I got past it last night and beat the boss.

I wasn't trying to rack up a million rubees via the hamster wheel but you do have to get 10,000 in order to get the password to the safe.

I am curious what would happen if you did get the full million via the hamster wheel. You could just tape the control pad down and leave the system running for a day, ha.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Have fun bro. If it ever comes to Switch or the following Nintendo console I’m doing a RTTP as well. I’ll be following this thread

It’s kind of a game that I wonder if either wasn’t paying close enough attention or missed anything. Super Paper Mario disappointed me, but many people love it. I’m curious to hear what your overall thoughts will be at the end when you’ve completed everything

How do you feel about Mario’s partners where you’re at now?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Have fun bro. If it ever comes to Switch or the following Nintendo console I’m doing a RTTP as well. I’ll be following this thread

It’s kind of a game that I wonder if either wasn’t paying close enough attention or missed anything. Super Paper Mario disappointed me, but many people love it. I’m curious to hear what your overall thoughts will be at the end when you’ve completed everything

How do you feel about Mario’s partners where you’re at now?
I have 3 pixels, the throw, bomb, and slim ones. They're fine, not much you can do with them outside of the puzzles.

Peach is the only other character I have and she's fine too, switching between pixels and characters is nice and seamless.

I'm definitely enjoying the game but it just comes off as unfinished. The other games seem to have so much more going on in terms of level detail, that's one of the things that sets this series apart, the level design is usually super inventive and creative. Super Paper Mario just seems insanely barebones compared to 1k Year Door, the N64 game, and Color Splash.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
iu

Picked up Super Paper Mario on the Wii U eShop last weekend. I owned it back when it first released on the Wii but didn't remember much, I never finished it back then either.

I'm having fun with the game but there's a few things that are really annoying.

1. No sound options, I like the music but it's low in the mix and usually gets drowned out by the lengthy text box sound effects or the level sound effects.
  2. No run button. Mario is pretty slow and it's frustrating not being able to actually run. Also, Peach has a higher jump than Mario which just seems wrong.
  3. The accuracy in jumping, the accuracy in the jumping mechanics is really awful. It hasn't prevented me from making progress but it's noticeable. Considering the game is a platformer, the jump mechanics in this game are pretty pathetic.
  4. Art Design, this game has so much empty space. The graphics are downright ugly and feels like the game wasn't even finished in that aspect. Which is weird too cause the game was supposed to be a GCN title. The lack of detail really shows off how underwhelming the visuals are.
large.jpg
iu
iu

1. Not enough combat, the levels so far don't really offer much in terms of combat or level grinding. You literally just jump on enemies, and most are dead within 1 or 2 hits.
That being said, the story is interesting enough and the gameplay is engaging enough to keep me coming back. It's a pretty easy game and the levels are relatively small. Some of the puzzles can be fun too but again, it's pretty entry level stuff and seems designed for children (not surprising).

Looking at gamefaqs, the critic reviews are quite high which is surprising to me. Maybe it was due to the fact that it was on the Wii and something worth playing.

I know there are extremely dedicated Paper Mario fans out there. I've never been a huge fan of the series even though I've played alot of the games. The biggest annoyance for me is the dialogue. Sometimes it just goes on and on and on, most of the time it isn't entertaining. It's just there and lasts far longer than it should.

So what say you Gaf? Big fan of this game, did you hate it? Is it worse than that Sticker game on the 3DS that everyone hates?
Hated it really...3d mechanic was kinda fun but it strays from the core rpg battling mechanics of a true paper Mario and there's that point where you need to do some ridiculous grindy task I can't remember to which i exclaimed F-this!...I stopped playing at that point.

Last edited:

NeptuneCL

I agree, the game is not as fun as de N64 or Gamecube iterations.

Too bad, the franchise was born like "Mario RPG 2" with good history, gameplay mechanics and music, but now is just a "another Mario game", and not a good one.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The game is just barely passable. Coming after the masterpiece that is TTYD makes it trash tier instantly.
It’s baffling how much the quality dropped from TTYD to SPM, some areas in the overworld of SPM were actually depressing to explore. And not because it was intended, it’s because the area was so barebones and lacking anything of interest. The NPCs were mostly vapid buffoons as well from what I can recall back in 2007

fart town usa

Gold Member
It’s baffling how much the quality dropped from TTYD to SPM, some areas in the overworld of SPM were actually depressing to explore. And not because it was intended, it’s because the area was so barebones and lacking anything of interest. The NPCs were mostly vapid buffoons as well from what I can recall back in 2007
It is kinda funny how often I'll be like, "Oh crap, forgot to switch perspectives in that room, let me go back and check for something......yup, ain't shit here..." lol.

Bridges

I really loved the story and the writing but did find the gameplay underwhelming. I wanted another RPG as I'm sure a lot of people did. Still, I found it very much worth playing at the time and I remember it being really funny. I've tried to go back and play it again a few times but always fall off rather quickly, sadly the mechanics just aren't fun enough to get me through the story a second time which is a shame because like many others I consider it to be the last good Paper Mario.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
In hindsight I think this game deserved more praise, it was just in the impossible position of following The Thousand Year Door.

And this right here has been the problem for the past 20 years

I’m considering firing this up just because of that Mario RPG/Wonder combo coming this Fall. SPM seems like a cool trippy way to prep for em.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
lol, forgot I made this thread.

Reading my first post, I feel like I'm being pretty harsh but it does bring back memories of the issues I had with it.

It's still a cool game though, I need to get back to it and finish it once and for all.

Top Bottom