• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP/LTTP: The (Mostly) Entire Canon of Resident Evil (on-going)

Isa

Gold Member
Whoa yeah what happened to Raymond and Jessica, its been a while since I played 5-6 so those are on my to-do list. I was thinking it might've been resolved there. Man they could go all out on the fanservice with having Ada and other beloved characters for a Revelations 3. It could help tie up some loose ends, or even just have a satisfying separate narrative.

Aldynes

Whoa yeah what happened to Raymond and Jessica, its been a while since I played 5-6 so those are on my to-do list. I was thinking it might've been resolved there. Man they could go all out on the fanservice with having Ada and other beloved characters for a Revelations 3. It could help tie up some loose ends, or even just have a satisfying separate narrative.
We could have stuff that involves the new Hound Wolf Squad of RE 8 that could be neat.

Isa

Gold Member
We could have stuff that involves the new Hound Wolf Squad of RE 8 that could be neat.
Good point, and it would be a nice tie-in. Like the OP mentioned in their RE0 review it'd be nice to see these characters fleshed out more, RE0 was a missed opportunity and I had hoped to see more of Bravo Team. Instead it got kind of a
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

For the few moments they were there though I thought Hound Wolf Squad were cool. Could be fun seeing them on different ops. My only fear is if they did focus on anything in direct relation to the 7-9 trilogy(assuming it is a trilogy), it'd be first person again. I'd gladly take whatever to get back to a 3rd person perspective, weird bits and all. Especially if it plays like 2, but with the game design of 1 lol. But I'm just fantasizing. I'll play 'em all.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
---Resident Evil 5---

You's twos are just in time for the fireworks. BOOM! Hahahahahaha

Resident Evil 5. Capcom top seller. Career Luigi to RE4's Mario. One of my favorites, fight me. Played the good ol' OG PS3 version.

Chris Redfield, an accomplished agent of the BSAA's North American branch, volunteers for a mission in the Kijuju Autonomous Zone in Africa, where intel points to a deal notorious bioweapons smuggler named Ricardo Irving is planning to make. To help ease tensions, fellow BSAA agent, native Sheva Alomar is recruited to accompany Chris to the deal coordinates. Along the way, however, things are complicated by a new bioweapon collectively named Majini, and hushed whispers of a doomsday product named Uroboros. To get to the bottom of this mysterious plague, Chris will have to revisit two people from his past he thought were long dead.

I love this game. It took the direction RE4 went in and ran full speed. A lot of people say this is the point where RE lost sight of It's Survival Horror roots entirely, what with it being a third person shooter Co-op action game taking place almost entirely during the day in open environments against opponents who eventually utilize automatic firearms against you with the introduction of a cover system and....I'm not making a good case for myself here, am I?

I guess now is as good a time as any to discuss my interpretation and why this shift never bugged me so much. I like to look at long running, single storyline game series as just that, part of a continued narrative. Starting with RE0/REmake really hammered this home for me. The stakes start pretty small. You have a field medic for a police department in a single city and an escaped prisoner wandering through the woods, essentially. There's a grander tale, but it's largely irrelevant to the characters. The primary motivation is "escape without dying," it moves onto the next night, where the same police force is trapped in a Mansion. Basically one building, but it extends a bit further into double crossing, corporate evil, stopping an experiment, and escaping without dying. In RE5, we're following Chris Redfield's story. As dictated by the ploy, he's a veteran of this stuff now. The stakes were raised. Narratively, it makes sense that he's faced like nine small environments with zombies successfully before, and a tenth time would just be spinning wheels. For what I feel Resident Evil 5 is, the bombastic nature of it fits. It feels like the end of a saga to me. Like the first leg of Resident Evil has reached it's conclusion. I'll go into why this viewpoint damages later games slightly when I get to them, but moving on.

This game remains pretty crisp. For the generation it came out, it's still a pretty great looking game, and I'd argue it has something visually that Resident Evil 6 lacked. Not sure what. I love the creature designs, I love the stark differences to the main areas -town, swamp, laboratory/tanker. I know this is in the timeframe of the mass epidemic of "blurry, shitty lens flare everything is orange and brown," games, but I feel like RE5 had very distinct color/hues for each of it's primary areas. Orange, green, blue, black/steel grey. It just gelled for me.

I love the gameplay, too. Co-op is ideal for it, but I never have too much trouble playing solo, either. Sheva's AI isn't aging the best, but I've always found that with a bit of proactive work, she becomes manageable. Getting into her inventory and making her the least harmful to your stock works wonders, it's like setting Gambits for her, to borrow a FFXII term. Give her a surplus of white eggs so she'll heal herself but fucks off with the whole "first aid spray for a papercut," thing she loves doing. Give her a vest, a stun rod, and a submachine gun, since those bullets are like pez candies, and you're all set. Until you play on Professional difficulty, but hey.

Gunplay is tight, has some weight to it, Chris just feels good to handle (oh my) this time around. The expanded melee is fucking awesome, with the player having basically a new move for every part of the opponent that gets stunned. Also, the combo attacks, though a bit finnicky to set up, are really cool when they pay off. I also liked that on larger enemies, you perform your final combo attack automatically. The Gatling Gun Majini are always catching backhands and haymakers, and it does wonders for the machismo fueled adrenaline rush that the last area of the game becomes.

Regular enemies are a lot better than in RE4, I think. There wasn't much difference between Ganados/Illuminados/islanders beyond anesthetic stuff and damage dealt per hit, but here, the Majini behave differently and use differing attacks from the wetlands majini and the base majini. It's never too drastic, but you do have to change up your strategy on the fly between these areas. The sub-bosses are the weak spot, essentially being African versions of the RE4 ones, but even that is somewhat excusable because those enemies were so fun the first time.

I think boss fights were really cool in this one. Uroboros, Ndesu, U8, Popokarimu, Jill and Wesker being standouts, Irving being a low point. A lot of these were super fun in co-op, and it's always nice seeing boss fights in RE games be more than just firing at something until it dies. Same reason I enjoyed the Queen Leech in 0 and Plant 42 in REmake, I suppose. I've come to really enjoy the final fight with Wesker, too. Getting that melee kill in the fight in awesome.

Gameplay moment to moment, I really enjoyed going through these levels. Seemed like every chapter had a little bit of a gimmick, a twist on the arenas, etc. Chapter one had your classic RE4 Cabin siege, your RE4 quick time events, the mine segment where one player had to use the light. The swamp had an "open linear," (thanks Druckman) layout with the boat, then there was the light beam lasers of death in the temple, the Licker hallways, turret sections, the vertical firefight on the giant rotating elevator, good ol' fashioned cover shooter segments, battles on conveyor belts, etc. Just a lot of cool ideas that took what RE4 established with the general gunplay and extended it into scenarios where you had to do different things with it.

I was initially disappointed by the inventory system, because (I forgot to mention this before) the attache case Tetris in RE4 was super satisfying for someone with mild OCD like me, and it almost turned each pause into a little breather mini game. So having 16 slots was a step back for me, but having to navigate the menu in real time give it a little bit of the umph it would have been missing otherwise. I think the decision to nix the Yellow Herb and start each character with max health was a good call, too.

Music didn't do too, too much for me, but the standout tracks, I really enjoyed. The save theme, the Tanker theme, and the ending theme were all great. Everything else was serviceable, but not remarkable.

Storyline and characters, I mostly vibed with it. I LOVED the in depth files that were unlocked as you progressed. I was at the same time kind of disappointed that so much crucial information wasn't relayed in cutscenes, as A LOT of Wesker and Spencer's motivations, and most of Excella and Sheva's characters were relegated to these files. It would have been nice to see some of these elements reflected in the cutscenes. I know that the files have always been a part of RE, but it was always more environmental storytelling than anything. Supplemental details, and not pieces of information that affected your understanding of the main story.

What was in the game though, I enjoyed. This was about as good of a send off for Wesker and the original storyline as I could picture Capcom getting right, and the Stairway to the Sun being the source of the Progenitor Virus nicely tied Umbrella and Spencer to the events in Africa, making this entire game feel less frivolous than 4's very Gaiden feeling. RE5 also managed to tie in the Las Plagas, too, which retroactively made RE4 feel like it belonged more. Too many times has Wesker collected samples of something and put it to no real use, so props there.

The DLC's very fantastic, moreso Lost In Nightmares than Desperate Escape. The riff on the mandatory cabin siege in DE made it worth it. But all of LiN was pretty good. Nice slice of fanservice, and I loved the fixed camera angle Easter egg.

Random final notes: blonde Jill was a mistake. I loved the fight choreography in this game. All of the racist takes are severely overblown, game is a bit tone deaf at worst.

kunonabi

Never finished RE5. AI partner was too annoying and it wasn't worth putting up with for a shitty version of Jill and more Wesker. That said, Chris was finally fun again, not that it lasted long, and it was damn fun to mess around in co-op. The remaster still looks really good too.

bender

What time is it?
Never finished RE5. AI partner was too annoying and it wasn't worth putting up with for a shitty version of Jill and more Wesker. That said, Chris was finally fun again, not that it lasted long, and it was damn fun to mess around in co-op. The remaster still looks really good too.

RE5 was decent enough as a co-op game plus we got boulder punching memes. RE6 on the other hand...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
RE5 was decent enough as a co-op game plus we got boulder punching memes. RE6 on the other hand...

Chris versus the Boulder is honestly one of my favorite moments in the series. I also feel like Chris Roidfield is one of the instances of "Abby worked out constantly to get buff enough to take revenge!" actually making sense. Chris got his ass HANDED to him by Wesker in Code Veronica. It always made sense to me why he'd work out to get that buff.

bender

What time is it?
Chris versus the Boulder is honestly one of my favorite moments in the series. I also feel like Chris Roidfield is one of the instances of "Abby worked out constantly to get buff enough to take revenge!" actually making sense. Chris got his ass HANDED to him by Wesker in Code Veronica. It always made sense to me why he'd work out to get that buff.

I can appreciate the love of the camp. I don't think RE5 is bad or anything but the forced co-op mechanics, much like the rest of the game, just felt disappointing after RE4. If it weren't for RE6, Code Veronica would bely my least favorite game in the series. My favs are RE2, RE4, RE:Make, RE2(remake). I also really loved the opening hour of RE7.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

kunonabi

Chris was kind of a big dumb meat head to begin with so it at least doesn't come out of nowhere as ridiculous as it is. I'll take that over the sad sack, insecure leader crap they saddled him with.

Last edited:

Aldynes

Chris was kind of a big dumb meat head to begin with so it at least doesn't come of nowhere as ridiculous as it is. I'll take that over the sad sack, insecure leader crap they saddled him with.
Yup, Chris got kicked out of the Air Force, used to go in bars/suburbs looking for troubles and was always acting on it's own regardless of procedures, lucky for him his results were good when solving cases for S.T.A.R.S with Barry and co.

Chris is the hot headed badass that get things done his way and then when confronted to his superiors, smoke in their face while being yelled at type of character.

Aldynes

OP are you skipping side RE games like Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles? Amazing games if you have some peripherals (mine is the perfect shot for the Wii) I don't know the consensus on these two but I'm 100% a fan of them, if I just had 4 games to keep from all the RE titles, I'd pick RE 1 Director's Cut, RE 4 wii, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, that way I got classic RE style, RE over the shoulder and 2 games that covers all the story between 1 and 4.

• Thoughtful

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OP are you skipping side RE games like Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles? Amazing games if you have some peripherals (mine is the perfect shot for the Wii) I don't know the consensus on these two but I'm 100% a fan of them, if I just had 4 games to keep from all the RE titles, I'd pick RE 1 Director's Cut, RE 4 wii, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, that way I got classic RE style, RE over the shoulder and 2 games that covers all the story between 1 and 4.

Unfortunately, yes. I have no peripherals, and I don't want to buy Move for two games. I attempted to play both on a standard controller, got to Grave Digger in UC and Mr. X in DC and both made me want to tear my hair out.

It's a shame, because, at least in Darkside, the original framing story with Leon and Krauser seemed interesting enough.

Bartski

Gold Member
Cool thread. Makes me think about beating the only remaining mainline REs I never finished, being 0, CV and 6...

I'm at the bat boss in 0 with not enough ammo which makes it impossible to beat. Playing 2/3 of the game to realize you're screwed just breaks my balls. Not really keen on starting over but maybe someday I will.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Cool thread. Makes me think about beating the only remaining mainline REs I never finished, being 0, CV and 6...

I'm at the bat boss in 0 with not enough ammo which makes it impossible to beat. Playing 2/3 of the game to realize you're screwed just breaks my balls. Not really keen on starting over but maybe someday I will.

Highly recommend CV and 6. 0 is more a person to person deal, I think. But CV is Masterful if you conserve your ammo correctly, and 6 (getting ahead of my thread again) has some of the best controls and depth in a third person shooter I've ever seen.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
---Resident Evil: Damnation---

That is my answer, and your answer.

The second CG film in the Resident Evil canon. This was another "bridging," film between 5 and 6, and as the enthusiasts in the crowd are aware, RE bridging films don't actually contain any elements of the games before or after them to bridge, they're just unrelated self contained plots. But hey, Capcom gonna Capcom.

The Eastern Slav Republic is in the midst of a Civil War. Revolutionaries are battling the established regime to take back what they claim is their country. Rumors of bioweapons being used put a wrench in Agent Leon Scott Kennedy's vacation plans, and he's called to the war torn nation. Upon arrival, his handler, Ingrid Hunnigan tells him the mission is off and he's to return to the states immediately. Leon, never being one to waste a trip, defies this order and continues on. He soon finds himself mixed up with the very rebels planning on usurping political control of the nation with bioweapons, and what follows is a bombastic journey to quell the echoes of the Los Illuminados incident from the already struggling area.

I like this movie. I always enjoy when a series is usually relatively quiet and contained, and has an entry or segment where that's flipped on it's head. This movies setting and general vibe remind me in places of Act I of Metal Gear Solid 4, the Middle East. You have the stealth option and all the usual MGS gameplay, but you have to utilize it I'm a war, with two sides actively trying to kill each other. While a passive form of entertainment, Damnation reminds me a lot of that. Seeing Leon with a combat vest and an assault rifle is something else at first.

Capcom again vaguely touches on issues like the US's place in foreign conflict, the spread of Americana and fascination with Western culture abroad, but it doesn't feel like they're attempting to say anything with it. It's more of an inclusion just 'cause, maybe trying to mask the movie in a façade of depth not present.

It's a good looking movie, despite some stilted animations from the Ganados. J.P., or J.T. or whatever his name was looked especially comical during the reveal that he was infected, with a big camera close up on his face as his eyes got wide and his cheeks bulged before his head exploded. Like, I don't get how this was supposed to look gross or scary, but I might just be jaded. Otherwise, I thought the crumbling architecture looked good. I enjoyed the underground beehive lab. I thought the character designs were much better. Leon and Ada looked like themselves. Monster design didn't do a whole lot for me, but the giant Tyrants were fucking awesome.

The sound design was largely unremarkable. Again, I liked the sounds of the Tyrants footsteps. Shit was intimidating. I don't recall any of the music, except, again, the ending theme. I guess I just like Anna Tsuchiya, who did the ending theme for both Degeneration and Damnation.

The storyline, while not really going anywhere or connecting to anything, was fine. Again, Capcom thinks "man's entire family dies so he decides to get revenge," is the only villain motivation there is, but Buddy's revenge plot isn't the ENTIRE crux of the plot, so it sits a little better among other elements. I enjoyed Svetlana's character, and the CQC battle between her and Ada was finely aged cheese. Leon and Ada stayed remarkably in character, and I'm still amazed at how much chemistry they always have on screen together, be it games or movies. I'm also an Ingrid Hunnigan stan, so any cameos by her are always welcome.

Most of the action scenes hit the mark for me, and Leon's final confrontation where he was about to fight a Tyrant with a knife remains a standout moment for his character for me, so good job Damnation there. As with every title in this era of Resident Evil, it was about as scary as a job interview, but hey, that's what they were going for back then. I thought the idea of "curing," someone with an adult Plaga in them at the expense of being able to walk was a cool idea, too. I wish the last canon appearance of Las Plagas had a little more umph, though.

Didn't have very many thoughts on this, so enjoy a rather shortened entry. Next time, it's Revelations 2.

laynelane

Highly recommend CV and 6. 0 is more a person to person deal, I think. But CV is Masterful if you conserve your ammo correctly, and 6 (getting ahead of my thread again) has some of the best controls and depth in a third person shooter I've ever seen.

I loved the controls/combat system in RE6. It seems like it will be confined to just that one game, though, which is a damn shame. I could be wrong, of course, but so far games that came after have reverted to less mobility and options. That works too but RE6 just felt great to play and I wouldn't mind seeing a return to that in a future title.

kunonabi

I loved the controls/combat system in RE6. It seems like it will be confined to just that one game, though, which is a damn shame. I could be wrong, of course, but so far games that came after have reverted to less mobility and options. That works too but RE6 just felt great to play and I wouldn't mind seeing a return to that in a future title.
As I always say RE6's combat absolutely should have been tweaked and applied to Dino Crisis game.

Isa

Gold Member

Exactly. For me I screwed myself in Code Veronica recently and am not keen on replaying it all just yet. Especially the loading doors. If I could at least skip them on modern hardware, but man playing through 0 and I had to take a break.

Its those moments and some archaic design that makes me really appreciate the gameplay advances in the newer titles. I still need to bust out RE4 but honestly 5 and 6 are really tempting me. I was dorking around in RERevelations 2 with my girl, and we made it up to Episode 2 which is amazing as she struggles hard with camera control. It was so great seeing her get so invested though, she was sweating bullets and so scared haha! God I love the Raid mode in RER2.

Question for the Experts, who is the pretty and sexy bae villainess in a white dress and black hair(some kind of bun)? I'm probably mixing up my games and franchises here, but wasn't she in RE5? Or was she in Dead Rising? I can't recall for the life of me. I see what you guys were talking about earlier with references to Ouroboros and stuff, playing RER2 I'd hear some mentions of it by Barry in regards to stuff in 4/5 and I was like "now's my excuse to fire 5 up" lol.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Well, my Revelations 2 entry was unceremoniously deleted before I could finish typing it, so that sucks. Will give it another go in awhile. Hurray.

Top Bottom