• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: GTA Vice City - The Definite(ly shit) Edition

nowhat

I wasn't really interested in PS+ Premium, but as I already upgraded to Extra to get Stray (it was cheaper than buying the game), upgrading to Premium later on wasn't that much more. When my annual subscription renews in March, I don't think I'll opt for for either tier, but for now I have the additional tiers of "free" games, so why not take them for a spin.

Which is why I'm typing this rant. I played the original way back on PS2, and probably wear nostalgia glasses thinking back about it, but some things still work. The radio stations are terrific (although I want more talk radio, the NPR clone is just hilarious) and I'm a sucker for that 80s vibe. What doesn't work that well is the mission design, which is very simplistic, but you have to account for how old the game is.

But those were features of the original game - how does this "Definite Edition" change things? Not for the better. I'm not playing the game at launch, the game has received several patches, and if this is the state that Rockstar considers "fixed", I have little hope for GTA6. I'm not trying to completely downplay the game, so let's start with the positives. Driving around at night can look nice at times. Not good, not great, just nice.

...and that's pretty much it. Everything else though, holy fuck this is a stinker. The environments look just so sterile and lacking detail. I don't think the added resolution does the game any favors, despite (or because of) the AI-upscaled models and textures. The character models and especially NPC animations range from hilariously bad to nightmare fuel. The controls are really sluggish and floaty (I suppose this is a Rockstar tradition). The checkpoint system remains as-is, which is to say non-existent.

And the bugs, oh the bugs. I didn't bump too much into invisible objects, but frequently you see cars just flying in to the scene randomly, NPCs behaving really strange, animations glitching and such. Two bugs really stood out to me. First, there's a mission where you have to go to a location with Lance to start it. And no dice, I try driving over the marker, going over it on foot, restarting the mission several times but it just wont trigger. Was about to give up, but googled it. Turns out, the game requires both the player and Lance to be close enough to the marker, so you need to be on a bike for the quest to trigger (this is the "fixed" version according to Rockstar).

The second very memorable bug I encountered was a mission where you have to dress up as a rival gang member and infiltrate a gang funeral/kill the gang leader. The leader and his companions escape on a hearse, and will throw coffins at you from the back of the car. I can't remember if in the original game the amount of coffins was unlimited, but this seems to be the case here, so I really spent my time just chasing the hearse and watching those coffins fly by. Eventually got bored and killed the target. But what happened afterwards was that all those coffins remained in the game world, still do when I reload the game. I can't collide with them, but they just exists sprinkled all over the city. Which is kind of amusing but also infuriating.

I'm almost at the end (some properties to buy and then the two final story missions), but I don't know if I'll make it. I've been "hate-playing" (like "hate-watching" a series) this pretty much from the start. I paid nothing (well, specifically for this game anyway) and still feel ripped off.

Drew1440

Gave up on it on one of the missions where you have to ram several trucks and collect the dropped boxes. My car kept clipping through them and was unable to progress further.

Main issue I have is they delisted all the original games that were available on digital storefronts, so your stuck with these knock-off versions.
Well almost all of them, the Android versions are still available but Vice City and Liberty City Stories are broken on Android 11+ (Tested on an Nvidia Shield, Nokia T20 tablet and Sony Xperia 1 IV, all crash upon opening and Rockstar hasn't provided an update for years.)

Best off getting a PS2 or Xbox copy if you want to have the full Vice City experience.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
4E0sKGW.png

calistan

I gave up on this on PS2 back in the day, it was always incredibly janky. I can't remember exactly what it was, some mission where I had to protect ice cream trucks from gangsters in helicopters, or something like that, while everything kept exploding and the framerate tanked to the mid-teens. It was just unplayable. I can excuse a lot of things from GTA, but honestly, screw this game.

Similar thing happened on the PSP 'Stories' edition. My last functioning save was halfway between two loading points, and crossing either loading point meant I failed the mission. So I could make no further progress. For me, Vice City will be forever associated with cheapness, bugs, and maximum jank, so at least the Definitive Edition sounds like it's true to the original spirit of the game.

Finished the game also.

Glad I did not buy this crap.

Even after eight months this game is still a bugy mess.

Why the hell do you call this definitive If you remove a few iconic music tacks from the radio stations??

You could also compensate the customer and replace the missing tracks and add other 80s tracks. But not for a shitdev like Grove Street games. That would add some costs and research time.

Quick comparison with the original PS2 game.

It has the full soundtrack, better
audio(listen to a few dialogues, less bugs, better physics, better AI.

The definitive edition is just a shiny turd with better graphics.

A few bugs I encountered:

Got arrested why the cop was lying under my wheels, got arrested while I enter a car on my own property.

The whoopy missions are also bugged.

Can't sell some people something they are like standing forever have in front of your ICE truck.

The promised GTA V shooting mechanics are trash and look horrendous while aiming and running arround.

If you want to see how the developers took care of the game just visit the airfield.

Flying cars and a lot of traffic included.🤣🤦‍♂️

The hands in the cutscenes look like they put hands on sticks.

Animations could at least like in GTA IV but I know this would at least require some effort.

And let's not forget the texture streaming issues.🤦‍♂️🤣

Drew1440

Finished the game also.

Glad I did not buy this crap.

Even after eight months this game is still a bugy mess.

Why the hell do you call this definitive If you remove a few iconic music tacks from the radio stations??

You could also compensate the customer and replace the missing tracks and add other 80s tracks. But not for a shitdev like Grove Street games. That would add some costs and research time.
Actually one of the original bugs in the definitive edition was the 'removed' tracks would randomly play if you left the radio station running. Which meant the music itself still existed in the game but was sloppily patched out. Rockstar quickly addressed that.

Shame on you Rockstar. Given how ugly and shitty this release still is to this day, they should've been patching it on a monthly basis to right the wrongs of this thing. The fact that they stopped after just a couple updates is pathetic. I bought it on sale just so I have a way to play these games at 60 fps on console and they run smooth but look awful. Mostly the character models holy shit they're so bad

Fuck you Rockstar and also where tf is a 60 fps update for Rdr2 on console? What an awful, awful developer/publisher combo!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sadly it does not matter, how much effort you put into remastering them, those games are shit anyways. They should have been let in their time, where it was nothing like it.

Quasicat

I have this on PS3 and was seriously looking at the Switch version being on sale. Thank you for posting this and saving me $30. If I want to play this and just cause mayhem with the tank, I can fire up my PS3.

Top Bottom