• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Bloodborne (PS4 Pro)

Nymphae

Banned
This is one of the few games that I tried to get into multiple times, always giving up in the first area. I'm more of an action combat kind of guy, and while I did enjoy Demon's Soul's a bit, this was just throwing me for a loop, I couldn't "get" how I was supposed to play it.

Eventually after years of my friend hounding me to play it, it finally clicked, and I had a blast. Best part was discovering the Lovecraftian story, it's really fantastic and I love how it is all conveyed. It was a wonderful surprise, considering I felt the DS games had pretty throwaway narratives and wasn't expecting much with BB in that regard.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
You are so lucky to being able to play it the first time ! Enjoy and explore.

EDIT: Yes, it was not your truly first time. Just first time on a real PS4. :p
yes in a big way it feels like my first time! never before has the game felt so vivid to me. streaming is fine if you have no other way to play but it is no substitute.

I kinda want to replay now as well. I really want to twink a blood build but getting to a blood weapon is even more of a chore than getting an elemental gem

I love this game! This was the game that got me into Dark Souls. I actually had Dark Souls before this, my brother got it for me. I tried multiple times to get into it and I could not. Then I got bloodborne, beat it, and went back and beat Dark Souls 1, 2, bought 3, beat it, Sekiro, etc. This game is the gateway drug for Dark Souls.

One of the best Halloween games to play, next to SNES Clocktower!

ggerowqlsie6cyygeaur.gif

Clover904

Put me down as a non-Souls gamer, but I'm a diehard Bloodborne fan. This was my first Soulsborne game, and I knew it would be difficult. After HOURS of dying over and over again just in the first damn area, i felt defeated. But also determined. I got a little further each time...
Long story short, i loved it. I tried Dark Souls 3, and felt like I was just going through the motions. Bloodborne is just another beast that drew me in with every creature, every area, and every piece of lore. I really hope Sony has some plan of taking Bloodborne forward with a sequel.

VGEsoterica

Sony doesn't seem to do nearly as much with the Pro model as Microsoft does with the X.

You have OG Xbox games getting 4K emulation on X, where Sony and the Pro barely incorporate the advancements in any game that didn't support it at launch.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah Pro has been really nice. a few drops here and there but otherwise looking the best it's ever been. i played on streaming before, and the fog and atmospheric effects really lost a lot in translation to streaming video. here they look so badass, it only enhances the atmostphere.

right now i'm in Hemwick Charnel Lane, and I think this is my favorite area in the game. just this desolate, spooky Halloween-style forest, with gravestones and ruins everywhere, and howling witches doing weird dances. the forest areas of Dark Souls III are far less evocative by comparison. there is a lot of variation here, despite it bunch mostly a bunch of woods, and excellent use of fog.

tumblr_p5e2geGiB71wji6xto6_400.gif

another of my favorite spots is yet to come. Upper Cathedral Ward has this hazy dreamlike baroque charm to it. look at the use of fog here, this is some master class shit. yall other game studios taking notes?

tumblr_nodmk5VORM1t6xtc8o4_540.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i took some time out from fighting bosses to explore the Forbidden Woods and grind 10+ levels in around 30 mins. Bloodborne has a really nice leveling system, u can really quickly level up if you want to, and it feels like it doesn't take as long as other games.

then i came back to the dark forest and found the secret entrance to Iosefka's Clinic, and the optional area unlock it contains. aside from the rare brainsucker this is the first time u really see anything truly post-human. that large skulled alien looking dude, stumbling around a messy victorian science lab in the dark, so spooky! so good!

right now, i am playing through the very lovely Forsaken Cainhurst Castle. this area is so great, the frozen exterior sets the right atmosphere while the inside has really cool art design to it. this feels like a real castle, it feels very regal. where other areas have giant coffins littered about, this has giant classical statues, which IMO gives it all a mythical feel. the graphics here really took me away replaying this area, compared to PC streaming PSNow they look way more impressive. i especially love the shininess of the marble castle interior. this game has tons of great looking levels and this is one of the best.

tumblr_no7haxOOFo1t6xtc8o1_540.gif

From Software would do several variations on libraries but IMO the best one they ever did was inside Cainhurst. the little goblins holding candelabras, that kind of fantasy is why i'm here, and why I love this game so much.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
The game is absolutely INCREDIBLE but I still think Kos and Maria are way too difficult. It' dark souls 3 ringed city levels of F You. But as a DLC, I treat it as an ooptional thing... Maybe one day I will beat Maria and Kos... did everything else in the game.. wait. I also did not touched chalices. Maybe it's time to return to the game

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
You need any help, feel free to message me, here on GAF. I've completed both the normal game and the chalices without leveling.
Will also sub to your thread, on the notion that this could balloon.

rofif

Banned
You need any help, feel free to message me, here on GAF. I've completed both the normal game and the chalices without leveling.
Will also sub to your thread, on the notion that this could balloon.
Thanks for the offer but I need to start a game anew and complete it all again since I've played it almost 2 years ago. And it's only 2 weeks until Death Stranding so I am not sure I want to start it now :D
The only Souls game where I helped people instead of summoning is DS2 sotfs. I love that game.
It's all more possible than Friede and Sekiro last Boss... holy crap that guy

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Thanks for the offer but I need to start a game anew and complete it all again since I've played it almost 2 years ago. And it's only 2 weeks until Death Stranding so I am not sure I want to start it now :D
The only Souls game where I helped people instead of summoning is DS2 sotfs. I love that game

Was talking to #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# but the offer is extended to anyone, including you. I'm also waiting on DS. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The game is absolutely INCREDIBLE but I still think Kos and Maria are way too difficult. It' dark souls 3 ringed city levels of F You. But as a DLC, I treat it as an ooptional thing... Maybe one day I will beat Maria and Kos... did everything else in the game.. wait. I also did not touched chalices. Maybe it's time to return to the game
Really!? I personally found Maria kind of easy, most of her attacks can be easily parried, this how feel about Ko's first phase as well. With Kos fight I used a rune that every time I do a visceral attack I will get healed so for first phase even when I got hit I didn't bother healing and I just parried most his attacks. Its his second phases that things get much, much tougher, he movements much more crazy and unpredictable.

rofif

Banned
Really!? I personally found Maria kind of easy, most of her attacks can be easily parried, this how feel about Ko's first phase as well. With Kos fight I used a rune that every time I do a visceral attack I will get healed so for first phase even when I got hit I didn't bother healing and I just parried most his attacks. Its his second phases that things get much, much tougher, he movements much more crazy and unpredictable.
Maria felt so cheap to me I couldn't take it. Her attacks were so wide and overwhelming... It is doable but maybe I wasn't in the mood

Quezacolt

Honestly, to me, this is one of the best games i've played, even a year after finishing it, i still think about it all the time, and as soon as im done with my backlog, i plan to go back to it. To me, this experience alone was worth getting my PS4

Danjin44

Maria felt so cheap to me I couldn't take it. Her attacks were so wide and overwhelming... It is doable but maybe I wasn't in the mood
I see, I haven't much trouble on that fight. both Ludwig and Laurence give me waaay more trouble, especially Laurence.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just made it to the lecture building... only to run into spider Patches! so glad to see this guy again hehe

Really love how his game builds up, you start off in the city and go out to the forest where u start seeing all these weird beings. Then u kind of trace them back to these twisted cultish science labs. Then I get to the nightmares and it’s... a damn Frazetta painting come to life!

I remember when this game came out originally. We had people here on GAF powering through it and doing new game plus a few days later while discussing the lore and how magical this game is. Bloodborne is the only reason I still personally keep a PS4 plugged into my tv. It is my game of the generation hands down.

TUROK

Is nice. I like.

Like everyone else, I'd love a Bloodborne 2.

They could probably do some amazing stuff with non-euclidean geometry.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just met up with and fought Accursed Ludwig and wow that was a glad a great fight. And crazy monster design! Also I appreciated the Souls callback w the Moonlight sword.

DonF

I love Bloodborne! I´ve played every souls game, but this is the only one ive finished! I dont know why cause it aint easy, but the game and its mechanics just grab you. I love it. Fantastic game.

Dark Star

Easily my favorite PS4 game. The combat animations and weapons are smooth as silk. The cosmic horror and gothic victorian atmosphere is extremely immersive nightmare fuel. It's just a magical experience, filled with mystery and uncertainty around every corner of the map. The sound design/score is impeccable, you get this tense feeling walking around, even when there are no enemies to fight. You can just FEEL that there is something lurking. It's a haunted game to say the least.

I never played a souls game before Bloodborne, but when I first played it, lots of the areas reminded me of Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets on the PS2 - the distant castles, creepy dungeons, random treasure chests and quirky side characters, even the Student Uniform you get later in the game is eerily similar to what they wear at Hogwarts.

The game offers replay value, which I like. You can choose a different starting weapon each run, and max the levels to the end. I've done a few speed-runs, but the only boss I just HAVE to "cheese" is Father Gascoigne. It's funny when you run down the stairs, jump to the side, and he will always get stuck side-scrolling on the railing. You just spam attack over and over again from the ground until he's eliminated. The rest of the bosses? Gotta GET GUD.

Last edited:

FMXVII

I just started my first [in earnest] playthrough, myself. I dabbled a bit, about a year ago, when I bought it, but then three or four other things came out which promptly sidelined it. That time I messed with the Cane, getting only just past the bonfire murder parade.

This time, I chose the Axe.

And in about as much time, I have beaten the Cleric Beast, and genuinely pimp-slapped Father Gascoigne so hard, I almost question whether it happened, given what I'd heard about him.

FMXVII

Whelp.

I THINK Old Yarhem is done.

Blood-Starved Beast was kind of a bitch to beat, but I figured out what I needed to do early on - dodge two to three times then get a couple of weak hits in and quickly reposition - but it took a few deaths for me to finally decide to implement said strategy.

I just kind of intinctively want to burst that poison sack of a 3rd form, and had to reverse gut check the impulse.

Right after that, I took down Durja on the second try. He didn't let me heal, but I got a decent position at the end of the fight, and R2 power shotted him and went in for a long R1 kill, and he backed off the edge to his death.

Good times.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
People overreact with fps drops and framepacing. It really is fine. I don't feel almost any problems and I am a 4k60 pc gamer with freesync.
Used to be 240hz gsync too... Bloodborne feels surprisingly snappy for 30fps game I would say
Yup, people love to parrot whatever they read. Sure the framepacing issues are there, and would be great to have it gone, but it's still very much playable. There are other things that people can focus on when it comes to performance, but it's easier to solely blame the game.

Also, stfu with the repeating argument that From Software are not good technically, it gets annoying to read. Their early games streaming the world in real-time and Dark Souls also having very little loading screens back in the days, that shit was impressive and one big reason why the world they created feels connected.

They've been in the business for a long time, they know what they're doing. Some of the shit their employees have created for fun and not put in any games yet are in fact some of the most high quality models ever seen, probably save for next generation hardware.

Next generation From Software will not only be praised for their art. If they actually would want to take the time to "perfect" the technical department. It's about time and budget, focus, workload, development specs...

TLDR: FROMSOFT have the potential to create a technical marvel should they want to.
And because of that, I do not agree that their technical prowess should be argued because of a few issues that many/most games also suffer from.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im in the 2nd big DLC area, the really tall room with the weird Brain Fluid science experiments and the Tower of Latria style staircases. this is cool stuff!

FMXVII

I just beat the Yharnam Three.

Great boss fight.

Great use of the topography.

Scoped a tad of the next area, and, man - those bugs suck.

Prolly gonna farm and level a tad, first.

Maybe take that dude's advice and use the item he gave me, to enter the right of the Grand Cathedral.

With my Samsung SSD and Pro's Boost Mode, liadsare almost nonexistent - 5 seconds, tops.

Best game of this gen, so far, imo.

Best Souls game too, due to how solid and well out together the Metroidvania levels are.

And I prefer the combat, too, but I can be objective and call it tied with Souls's.

Coconutt

I forgot how rage inducing those Winter Lanterns are, I don't even try to fight them anymore, just wait for the chance to parry since the parry window is huge and frenzy I guess doesn't work during that counter animation. Fuck frenzy in general.

SuperGooey

Not being a fan of the Dark Souls games, I bought Bloodborne on a whim just to hold me over for Breath of the Wild (and I needed a new game for PS4). I didn't expect it to become one of my all-time favorite games, and my game of this generation. It's worth buying a PS4 just to play it.

Surviving the opening area of Central Yharnam for the first time goes down as the most exciting video game opening for me. Much like the opening village area in Resident Evil 4, you are immediately thrown into the deep end are expected to learn the game mechanics while being mobbed by enemies that can kill you in just a few hits. By all means, it should be frustrating, but the world, the atmosphere, and the gameplay kept me addicted. I think it's the only game that I have platinum'd both the main game and the DLC; and yes, the DLC is totally worth it.

I still haven't played it on a Pro yet, though.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I'd love to play through it again but I know the online community isn't there anymore for me to reliably get help when I need it.

I got the hunters DLC way too late and never got to play it. Because sadly I can't beat a soulsbourne game without calling for help. I just am not good at that precise, pattern mastering kind of game. I can do ok in the regular game but always find an area or two I need help with but I can only do maybe 1/4 of the bosses on my own. I practice and try but it's just not something I'm good at. Which is frustrating because I love those games a great deal.

Danjin44

I'd love to play through it again but I know the online community isn't there anymore for me to reliably get help when I need it.

I got the hunters DLC way too late and never got to play it. Because sadly I can't beat a soulsbourne game without calling for help. I just am not good at that precise, pattern mastering kind of game. I can do ok in the regular game but always find an area or two I need help with but I can only do maybe 1/4 of the bosses on my own. I practice and try but it's just not something I'm good at. Which is frustrating because I love those games a great deal.
There are A.Is you can call for help.

Grinchy

Banned
I really enjoyed this game and i bought the DLC but i havent touched it yet,
lol yeah same here

I got the platinum after years of coming back to it here and there and still have never touched the DLC that I bought for it. I was making a STR/ARC build specifically for some of the DLC weapons but just haven't gotten far enough in the game to play it yet.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Now fighting the Living Failures for the first time. Damn, From always has the best boss names.

Also total wtf at their cosmic halfway point AOE! Never before have I been so glad to be destroyed by a boss’s 1 shot! I beheld my own destruction from the righteous skybox and it was terrifyingly sublime ☠️

It started and I said “holy shit what is going on? and just looked up in awe and was smoted 👻

Last edited:
In one interview Miyazaki (the creator) said Bloodborne 2 was up to Sony, and Bloodborne 1 is the favorite game he has done. We just have to connect the dots. :p

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dang this DLC is so good! Straight up Castlevania going on here. I’m in this giant gothic academy with towering spiral staircases, where twisted scientists have created horrific human experiments, some of them mere piles of oozing creeping flesh, a cathedral of monsters, and there is a garden outside filled with giant flowers and evil mages. it’s like something out of SOTN. Into my veins!!!

Last edited:
Bloodborne is the game of the generation. Atmosphere, graphics, art design, the game play, all perfect and i'm not even a souls fan.

Best looking graphics goes to the Order:1886, from around the same launch window as Bloodborne.

They could have ended the gen there, I don't think anything has surpassed Bloodborne in what, five years?

Top Bottom