• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RT logo has been removed 'The Medium' (Up: Bloober confirm RT 100%, logo removal a 'mistake')

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
[/QUOTE]
tenor.gif
Lol Believe

0G1O7r5.png

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Not trying to get crazy here, but do we even have examples of a game, out and running, that has RT GI? I personally have never seen it, but I'm not a PC guy. What I do know is that the UE5 demo looked fantastic. As a simp I just remember seeing that demo and never once did I think about RT, i just thought... wow that looks great. Would it look better with RT? Of course, but do we even know what that would look like?

Metro-Exodus-Screenshot-2019.02.12-12.48.16.24-1440x810.png

Metro-Exodus-Screenshot-2019.02.12-12.48.03.37-1440x810.png

For an example of just having raytraced GI.

I'm also just comparing model and enivronments I render in real time vs ray traced for movies,game etc.
Somtimes the effect can be subtle especially when you aren't creating with raytracing in mind, but extremly often it's super pronounced.
Thanks for these! I really like the subtle difference. When you look at it something kinda just looks "right" about it, It's kind of hard to explain. I think the very flashy examples of RT are great as well, but it's not always going to be super flashy. The subtle differences in those videos are pretty cool!

Edit: I feel like having a monitor/tv with good HDR will do wonders for a title using RT.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Is RT that important for graphics? Can casual gamers really notice the diff?
Somtimes the effect can be subtle especially when you aren't creating with raytracing in mind, but extremly often it's super pronounced.

RT's a complicated thing (I barely understand it, much less the difference of pathtracing or ReShade or all of that,) but the impression I get is that it's less about it being super-pronounced (though you can play that game too, and have mirrored surfaces all over your game if you wanted to do some corny flexing) and more about the subtle simulation of reality that is important to convincing your eyes/brain when viewing CG images. Fake/baked effects can look great in controlled scenarios or for a limited time, but eventually, it doesn't look right and you know it deep down. If everything behaves as it should with accurate simulation, though (which is way easier said than done; the resolution and passes needed to replicate even limited light sources seems to be staggering,) that's more natural for your senses. Once you start dealing with RT, maybe we won't think we're impacted by the difference all the time, but we'll feel it if we had to go back. So, maybe it's important, some day, maybe soon, maybe not?

For me, it seems to have a compounding effect ... if you combine all the effects and have full path tracing, the difference is amazing. Quake 2 looks absolutely fantastic with it all on. It's amazing how 'real' it can look, even with those blocky graphics. I really can't wait until we get modern games with a similar level of RT, whenever that's going to be. Will be amazing.

Right? Its effects on simpler games is sometimes the best illumination of it's overall impact.

One of the top examples we're oohing and ahhing at over RT inclusion so far is Minecraft. 2009's Minecraft.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

RT's a complicated thing (I barely understand it, much less the difference of pathtracing or ReShade or all of that,) but the impression I get is that it's less about it being super-pronounced (though you can play that game too, and have mirrored surfaces all over your game if you wanted to do some corny flexing) and more about the subtle simulation of reality that is important to convincing your eyes/brain when viewing CG images. Fake/baked effects can look great in controlled scenarios or for a limited time, but eventually, it doesn't look right and you know it deep down. If everything behaves as it should with accurate simulation, though (which is way easier said than done; the resolution and passes needed to replicate even limited light sources seems to be staggering,) that's more natural for your senses. Once you start dealing with RT, maybe we won't think we're impacted by the difference all the time, but we'll feel it if we had to go back. So, maybe it's important, some day, maybe soon, maybe not?

For me, it seems to have a compounding effect. Limited RT, like we've seen to this point, is indeed pretty subtle and you mostly wouldn't miss it too much.

But if you combine all the effects and have full path tracing, the difference is amazing. Quake 2 looks absolutely fantastic with it all on. It's amazing how 'real' it can look, even with those blocky graphics. I really can't wait until we get modern games with a similar level of RT, whenever that's going to be. Will be amazing.

Ratchet is a 2021 game
GT7 doesn'T have a release date
Demons Souls doesnt have a release date

Spiderman is using PS4 assets, so not really a complete new game.

Tell me a single NEW PS5 (not a standalone dlc game) launch game that uses RT on PS5.

The Meirl has left the building.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Unfortunately Sony and MS just weren't fully ready for next gen and i'm not gonna blame it on the pandemic. I think they both took too long on their dev kits and tools and first wave of next gen games are going to suffer for it.

Yes some are still going to look great but i feel like they could have been so much better if they had gotten dev kits out a year earlier.
I wouldnt lump ms with sony. Sony has shown more than 24 titles running on ps5 with RT. they r ready 😌

Mentat02

Banned
I wouldnt lump ms with sony. Sony has shown more than 24 titles running on ps5 with RT. they r ready 😌
I am willing to bet money both consoles are going to have a lot of trouble with RT. I am also willing to bet both consoles will get rid of RT all together, even the mighty series X is bowing out this early. not a good sign.

sojuwarrior

For me, it seems to have a compounding effect. Limited RT, like we've seen to this point, is indeed pretty subtle and you mostly wouldn't miss it too much.

But if you combine all the effects and have full path tracing, the difference is amazing. Quake 2 looks absolutely fantastic with it all on. It's amazing how 'real' it can look, even with those blocky graphics. I really can't wait until we get modern games with a similar level of RT, whenever that's going to be. Will be amazing.

i am just worried that RT turns out to be one of those things where one needs to be a total tech guru with a super high end 4k tv to notice the impact (because I have neither lol) while the graphical jump from ps3 to ps4 is clear for everyone to see no matter how crappy your HD TV is...

Elog

For being a software company, this is really worrying.

If you are a great programmer you do not really work for MS. That is a huge problem for them. I think that they put more or less a standard portion of their Win team on developing the OS with APIs for XSX instead of a team of programmers that are used to work with code much closer the hardware (for maximum efficiency).

I might be talking out of my behind but the above would not surprise me one bit. I guess what I am saying is that MS are big in software but not a great software company.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

i am just worried that RT turns out to be one of those things where one needs to be a total tech guru with a super high end 4k tv to notice the impact (because I have neither lol) while the graphical jump from ps3 to ps4 is clear for everyone to see no matter how crappy your HD TV is...

I think your bigger worry is the widespread dedication to native 4K rendering, which you obviously need a (very big) 4k TV to really appreciate.

Whatever benefit the RT brings, you should be able to see it without a fancy TV.

Hunnybun

Right? Its effects on simpler games is sometimes the best illumination of what it can do.

One of the top examples we're oohing and ahhing at over RT so far is Minecraft. 2009's Minecraft.

Up to now the only really impressive implementation I've seen is Metro's GI, which can make a huge difference in some scenes. But I wonder if that's partly because (IMO) its graphics are so ugly without it.

Modern Warfare I can't notice the difference at normal gameplay speeds. Control looks better but I was still underwhelmed. I guess Watch Dogs's reflections look pretty nifty, but nothing more than that.

Mentat02

Banned
I think your bigger worry is the widespread dedication to native 4K rendering, which you obviously need a (very big) 4k TV to really appreciate.

Whatever benefit the RT brings, you should be able to see it without a fancy TV.
You don't need a very big 4K TV to enjoy the full resolution. I have a 55" C9 OLED and an ASUS 27" 4K HDR monitor and games look good on both.

Up to now the only really impressive implementation I've seen is Metro's GI, which can make a huge difference in some scenes. But I wonder if that's partly because (IMO) its graphics are so ugly without it.

Modern Warfare I can't notice the difference at normal gameplay speeds. Control looks better but I was still underwhelmed. I guess Watch Dogs's reflections look pretty nifty, but nothing more than that.

I agree, Metro looks noticeably different and Control looks semi good with it on...but really, it's pretty meh when I'd much rather have 20fps bump than better reflections and shads.

If MS want to tank performance on their titles using RT they can go for it I guess, but I hope Sony don't follow suit.

Mister Wolf

I agree, Metro looks noticeably different and Control looks semi good with it on...but really, it's pretty meh when I'd much rather have 20fps bump than better reflections and shads.

If MS want to tank performance on their titles using RT they can go for it I guess, but I hope Sony don't follow suit.

That's because Control already had a better more advanced GI solution using Remedy's Northlight Engine than the basic probe based GI(Halo Infinite) used by 4A in Metro Exodus.

Last edited:
That's because Control already had a better more advanced GI solution using Remedy's Northlight Engine than the basic probe based GI(Halo Infinite) used by 4A in Metro Exodus.

Oh really. Surely The Medium's RT solution would be even more basic, given this is an AA game and the dev is tiny.

Mentat02

Banned
Imagine what a new Alan Wake game would look like with the current engine Remedy is using.

Hunnybun

You don't need a very big 4K TV to enjoy the full resolution. I have a 55" C9 OLED and an ASUS 27" 4K HDR monitor and games look good on both.

Well it depends how close you are to the screen. In my experience you want to be nearly as close as the screen size, so about 6 ft from a 55 inch screen.

Barakov

Gold Member
Seems "hot take" is now just code for "I know I'm demonstrably wrong"
I get it. You're all aboard the raytracing train. You wouldn't of singled me out if you weren't. Me personally, I think it looks good in some games and not in others. For those that are good I personally don't think it's worth sacrificing a high framerate(PC) and resolution for.

not launching in 2020, doesnt have a release date, isnt a new IP. doesnt count.
Well, it runs on PS5, it must be at least partially playable now... 2021 is only in 5 months now!... Ms could have shown something of their upcoming games, even 2021/2022 to shut people up (believe me, marketing would do it if they could).

Dr Bass

If you are a great programmer you do not really work for MS. That is a huge problem for them. I think that they put more or less a standard portion of their Win team on developing the OS with APIs for XSX instead of a team of programmers that are used to work with code much closer the hardware (for maximum efficiency).

I might be talking out of my behind but the above would not surprise me one bit. I guess what I am saying is that MS are big in software but not a great software company.

I don't think a lot of people who aren't in the software world understand this actually. That certain companies just don't draw the best talent. Are you a programmer/software eng. by chance?

Vawn

Banned
This generational leap is going to be the least impressive yet. At least the loading times are all but disappearing.

Top Bottom