• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RT logo has been removed 'The Medium' (Up: Bloober confirm RT 100%, logo removal a 'mistake')

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Together with Halo not having RT out the door - will it ever? Something funny going on.

XsX RDNA1 confirmed!

nNGvyzx.png

Handy Fake

If... IF... there's an issue with the IO, maybe it's leaning too heavily on the GPU at the minute? The API could be behind schedule or something.

Ratchet is native 4k with rt reflections.
GT7 is native 4k 60 fps with rt reflections.
Demon Souls is native 4k 30 fps with rt shadows.
Spiderman is open world native 4k 30 fps with rt reflections on all puddles.

I think that's how RT is going to be in the future. The developers will only incorporate a few meaningful RT effects and not all of them since it will bog down performance.

This is probably nothing but...

RDNA 1? jk

Let's not joke about this. Both of them are custom RDNA2 chips.

Last edited:

yurqqa

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."
Let's do the math.

If there's no hardware circuits for RT after all, then after Halo RT patch everything except RT will use 12-13=-1 Tflop.

We'll have a black hole with a ray tracing !

byN6RVU.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's how RT is going to be in the future. The developers will only incorporate a few meaningful RT effects and not all of them since it will bog down performance.

Yes, we don't need it to catch steam and have half the forum banned.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
tenor.gif

Bloober isn't a studio i ever considered to be strong on the performance front to begin with and they usually focused on graphical fidelity over frame rate so for them to take it out (if this is true) is surprising. I would figure it would be there no matter what.

tenor.gif

Bloober isn't a studio i ever considered to be strong on the performance front to begin with and they usually focused on graphical fidelity over frame rate so for them to take it out (if this is true) is surprising. I would figure it would be there no matter what.

They're a small team. They're punching above their weight on graphics imo. 343i has absolutely 0 excuse however.

I'm going with what Microsoft and Sony said and it's that both systems have hardware based Ray tracing.

They do. If there are any implementation issues it's probably software related. We'll know soon enough in the months to come. Birdies are everywhere.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Ok Well if that's all true then there might be more to what the Crytek dev said a while back than we were led to believe.

It's not just about having the power, what matters is that the power is easily accessible.

Interesting couple of months ahead. Results over PR.

Entroyp

I say developers shouldn’t bother with raytracing on consoles. With such limited resources it’s just a waste of frames.

Hobbygaming

Yeah I think so too and Mark Cerny mentioned this in the Road to PS5 but he also said he saw a fully raytraced game running on PS5 🤔 I wonder which game it'll be

diffusionx

Gold Member
Am i going to have to resurrect my thread?

I genuinely believe the power of the XSX has been exaggerated. Having a higher flop number is great, but what about how well the rest of the components work together?

I agree that teraflops is overrated but either the system has the GPU and CPU they say it has, or it doesn’t. And if it doesn’t, that’s a problem, although I don’t know why MS would make shit up. I’m not talking about nonsense in the speculation thread about teraflop efficiency, but just the basic numbers.

The one thing I will say is that we are a few months from release and have no idea how AMD is implementing RT as none of their PC Cards do it yet. If this was Nvidia we would know. So I do think WRT ray tracing, it’s a good question just what to expect from these consoles.

Last edited:

Area61

The 120fps really got 'em. Next thing you would know that they are proud to run Halo Infinite in 240fps and raytracing in glorious 1440p.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I expect next gen consoles to use RT very, very sparingly indeed because it’s ridiculously expensive without using something like DLSS 2.0 to soften the blow.

You can see the tricks already like the RT reflections in GT7 are just 25% of native resolution and that’s just for a single use of RT. I doubt we’ll see many AAA games use it for techniques such as GI which is a real shame considering how great Metro Exodus looked with RT Global Illumination.

A combination of RT GI and RT reflections is a generational leap even with current gen poly counts, textures and effects imo.

Control is another one that looks superb and on another level with all it’s RT enabled.

You thinking anything shown in that PS4 presentation is more "complicated" than running a fully pathtraced game to a GPU is a silly notion.

And it's a silly notion to assume that Minecraft's ray tracing can be applied to those games shown at the PS5s presentation.

If complicated next gen games could do it would have been demoed on them.

Just saying that it's unrealistic to expect that level of Ray tracing in vastly more complicated titles.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

He was talking about Xbox and PC. Look how high end PCs struggle with HZD. DirectX takes its toll.
Yep I remember a rumor (take it with a grain of salt) that said Sony's software stack is way easier to use for the PS5 and Sony updated their GNM and GNMX APIs for the PS5

And it's a silly notion to assume that Minecraft's ray tracing can be applied to those games shown at the PS5s presentation.

If complicated next gen games could do it would have been demoed on them.

Just saying that it's unrealistic to expect that level of Ray tracing in vastly more complicated titles.
And it's not worth. Not always realistic illumination wins. There are shaders with RT for Minecraft Java that look far better than what MS has shown because they are authored in some way.

Berger

Banned

Ratchet is a 2021 game
GT7 doesn'T have a release date
Demons Souls doesnt have a release date

Spiderman is using PS4 assets, so not really a complete new game.

Tell me a single NEW PS5 (not a standalone dlc game) launch game that uses RT on PS5.

Top Bottom