• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

Lanrutcon

26 hours into Atelier Ryza and I am completely addicted to this game. I am still under half way through the game. I moved the switch to a 27” IPS monitor and the texture issues with the shadows are rarely noticeable now.

I can say without a doubt this is my favorite JRPG in a while. I am digging how vibrant and performant this game runs on the switch too.

I think I will be purchasing all the US DLC which seems to work on the Euro physical edition.

I am really hyped about part 2. The forgiveness of dying feels right and lack of a time attack for quests is what really make this a pleasure to just get that slice of life plus alchemy game play perfect IMO.

How's the crafting aspect? Been looking for an RPG with a heavy focus on crafting, material gathering, etc.

How's the crafting aspect? Been looking for an RPG with a heavy focus on crafting, material gathering, etc.
Fantastic IMO. It’s easy to get into and the in game help is great. However, once you are about 30+ hours in and the story gets about half way then you have to really have a grasp on how to build to get your team geared right.

Also, your Atelier grows with you and resource gathering gets pretty interesting in a game that could easily have Not put as much into it. Because there is no time attack nature to this game, where you can fail in previous titles, you can lean really hard into crafting and collecting.

I just completed the monastery portion of the main quest line in Kingdom Come Deliverance, where I had to infiltrate/join a monastery, identify someone who assumed a new identity and then either assassinate him, let him go or bring him to justice. It was a little tedious going through the daily monk schedule, with only a few hours each day to do some detective work, but it was a totally unique RPG experience, for me anyways.

I had a feeling this quest would be tedious, so once I confirmed that online, I looked up who he was and short-circuited the whole thing: refused the tour, immediately accused the faker, beat him with my bare hands, stole the dice, and finally spent 8 days in jail until I was released in Sasau. The guards confiscate anything you take except for quest items apparently :messenger_winking:

I'm normally a purist about playing things the way they're intended, but my gaming time is limited and I can't tolerate busywork. I liked the idea of the quest though.

Last edited:

VidKid369

I just beat Chrono Trigger, just a few minutes ago lol. It's been awhile since I last played it, and I seem to always get the same exact ending everytime I go to re-play this game. Go figure.

I'm really excited about what I'm going to play next but for tonight, for the time being, I'm going to take a break and celebrate. I always do this when I finish an RPG lol.

Good luck in your RPG adventures y'all!

ROMhack

I've been playing a lot of FFXII: TZA recently and it's pretty damn awesome.

I've never played an MMO before but I really like the gambit system, which largely plays itself but provides enough room for me to give input and feel like I'm having some say in what's happening (e.g. using magics/items).

Love the story and characters. No idea why people seem bothered about Vaan and Penelo (something I've heard).

Quality of Life features in the remaster are simply awesome - makes me wonder why all RPGs don't have x2 time.

So far, I'd probably rank it as my second favourite FF game (behind VI).

GeorgPrime

Banned
Hope you dont mind guys... just a heads up:

In Like 5 hours Rabbit & Bear Studios will stream the last "4 Hours of the Eiyuden Chronicle Kickstarter" campaign :) Maybe you are just curios and want to join Twitch to watch it.

If you are an RPG Fan and you didnt realize it .... there is a spiritual Successor for Suikoden coming out. Helmed by Murayama (Writer of Suikoden 1, 2 and 3) and some of the important Core Team from Suikoden 1-5.

Its a great thing for J-RPG fans because we pushed it into the Top 3 of Most Funded Videogame Kickstarters of all time and it has the highest amount of japanese backers on a videogame kickstarter ever. We made our voice heard that J-RPGs are still a great thing. (Around 15.000 new backers that never pledged to a project before)

Special Guests for the closing stream so far are:

- Kenji Akabane (Super Robot X-Ω, Dragonball Legends, and Fate/Grand Order)
- Michiko Naruke (Music Composer for Wild Arms)
- Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill Composer)

You can even check out the OT that i started:

Or visit the Kickstarter if you dont want to miss the chance to back it :)

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I summon you, O all mighty CRPG players ! Grant me your wisdom !

I am interested in getting into the Baldur's Gate serie but I am conflicted. I avoid as much as I can PC games and there is the nice bundle BG 1/2 enhanced on PS4 but I really think the Mouse/Keyboard is superior for these games. (and actually playing on PC would be part of the charm for me even if I usually more likely to drop the few games I try to play on PC)
Any feedback about the PS4 Version ?

Then about PC version.
I was surprise to see that the BG1/2 bundle enhanced are not available on PC (have to buy them separately).
I red a bit about these enhanced edition and looks like many bugs (fixed by mod on the original) were carry over.
Any feedback on these Enhanced edition ?

I could also go for the originals and the corrective mods. But the reason I avoid PC gaming, is because I want something simple. Are the mods difficult to install ?
Which mods (corrective only, nothing that implement new stuff) would you recommend for a newcomer ?

So to summarize : Which is the best version to get the "original" experience of Baldur's Gate without too many troubles ?

drganon

Been playing tokyo xanadu lately. Its a pretty sweet action jrpg. Also bought caligula effect overdose and the valkyria chronicles bundle because they were on a pretty decent sale on psn.

Lanrutcon

I summon you, O all mighty CRPG players ! Grant me your wisdom !

I am interested in getting into the Baldur's Gate serie but I am conflicted. I avoid as much as I can PC games and there is the nice bundle BG 1/2 enhanced on PS4 but I really think the Mouse/Keyboard is superior for these games. (and actually playing on PC would be part of the charm for me even if I usually more likely to drop the few games I try to play on PC)
Any feedback about the PS4 Version ?

Then about PC version.
I was surprise to see that the BG1/2 bundle enhanced are not available on PC (have to buy them separately).
I red a bit about these enhanced edition and looks like many bugs (fixed by mod on the original) were carry over.
Any feedback on these Enhanced edition ?

I could also go for the originals and the corrective mods. But the reason I avoid PC gaming, is because I want something simple. Are the mods difficult to install ?
Which mods (corrective only, nothing that implement new stuff) would you recommend for a newcomer ?

So to summarize : Which is the best version to get the "original" experience of Baldur's Gate without too many troubles ?

Grab Beamdog's versions for the smoothest experience. It's got some additional content that people are divided on, but it's your best bet for no technical issues, ease of use, etc. I have no idea how you play these games with a controller, but I am curious!

Nehezir

Banned
when I'm not playing FFXIV, I tend to hover between my backlog and Monster Hunter. Both Iceborne and Generations Ultimate. Excited for the next title since we should be expecting an announcement on it soon.

I do need new games for my switch, though. Bad news is I want a multiplayer RPG for it and getting the Crystal Chronicles is on hold for a month or two.

Lanrutcon

Bought Wasteland 3.

Severly unimpressed.

The downgrade from the initial reveal is so dramatic I just don't want to play anymore.

Edit: gave it another shot and that will be the end of it. It's ugly, the stat backend is basic and make no sense, 99% of the quirks are useless/not worth it, you can't shoot who you want, detection is STILL not LOS based, engine runs like crap, can't make your character look like their portraits and combat is boring as fuck. I can't go from a professional product like PF:K or D:OS to this.

Last edited:

Labadal

I'm playing Wasteland 3. I've focused each character on one weapon and two non-combat skills. I'm early on, but I hope that my builds don't bite me in the ass. I'm on the second highest difficulty and just reached Colorado.

DelireMan7

Last week I started Baldur’s Gate on PS4… Wow ! I haven’t had so much pleasure playing a game since a long time (aside of Souls game). A true wonder. I am only in chapter 3 but I love everything about it.

A bit confused at the beginning since it’s my first game of this kind but now I am in love.

I went for a Shaman and currently having Branwen, Raasad, Imoen, Dorn and Neera (the last 2 will probably get replaced soon, I don’t get “attached” to them).

Havoc2049

I’m going old school and playing Wasteland Remastered. It’s my first Wasteland game. I was an Atari 8&16-bit computer user back in the day and Wasteland was never released on those platforms. The design is old school and there is no hand holding, but they added cut scenes and voice acting to the major events in the game. Once I’m done with Wasteland, I’ll tackle Wasteland 3.

VidKid369

Hey, guys! Thinking about trying to attempt getting through the Breath of Fire series, I started the first one today, since I have all five games anyway!

Any Breath of Fire fans here? I, for one, love the series growing up.

Hey, guys! Thinking about trying to attempt getting through the Breath of Fire series, I started the first one today, since I have all five games anyway!

Any Breath of Fire fans here? I, for one, love the series growing up.
One of the first RPGs I played, I had great times with 1 and 2, though I never managed to finish them. Back then I didn't have the internet at home so I couldn't look up guides online.

My favorite is definitely 4, played it around 2004. The graphics and music are fantastic and the battle system a lot of fun with the spell combos.

I couldn't get into 3 as the graphics aged very poorly imo, but I heard a lot of good things about it. I never got around to try 5.

That aside, I recently started Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology and it's as good as I remember it some 8 years ago. The battle system is one of the best in all JRPGs and a testament to the great tactics you just can't perform with action combat. I'm also surprised this port/upgrade/remake/whatever added optional side missions that further explore characters and even give a portrait to an important NPC from the original game. New scenes is something you almost never get in ports and remakes.

VidKid369

One of the first RPGs I played, I had great times with 1 and 2, though I never managed to finish them. Back then I didn't have the internet at home so I couldn't look up guides online.

My favorite is definitely 4, played it around 2004. The graphics and music are fantastic and the battle system a lot of fun with the spell combos.

I couldn't get into 3 as the graphics aged very poorly imo, but I heard a lot of good things about it. I never got around to try 5.
I know, man. Breath of Fire was one of the first RPGs I played too. I'm always playing through them at points in my life it seems but I can never recall if I've actually ever finished one.

My favorite is Breath of Fire III.

I'm planning on playing through Breath of Fire I + II just to see how I like them.

I thought Breath of Fire IV was a little too pastel for me lol. I've barely touched-on V.

sobaka770

Banned
Divinity: Original Sin

Here... we... gooooo!!!!

AFter playing some BG3 beta I have finally committed to rerunning DOS2. 5 hours in - Larian are true Gods of gameplay. Just so much stuff I missed or solved differently just because it's incredible!
You're in for a treat even if the first game is rough in terms of story somewhat.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working my way through Baldur's Gate 1 EE but I really am not doing too well with the combat - does anyone know of any good tutorials for a complete idiot like me that would help me get on track. The manual isn't terribly useful, and for instance I've not even managed to figure out how to use a spell once it's in the spellbook. I'd also like to know how to keep my non-melee guys back away from the fray when shit goes down as I've had some trouble managing that.

Lanrutcon

I'm working my way through Baldur's Gate 1 EE but I really am not doing too well with the combat - does anyone know of any good tutorials for a complete idiot like me that would help me get on track. The manual isn't terribly useful, and for instance I've not even managed to figure out how to use a spell once it's in the spellbook. I'd also like to know how to keep my non-melee guys back away from the fray when shit goes down as I've had some trouble managing that.

So there isn't really an "aggro" system. You typically rely on spells for battlefield control. For a starter player, you can't go wrong with a Fighter. Low maintenance, good survivability, can dish out the pain. Starting off as a spellcaster is hard mode...until later. Spells get insane, but you gotta get a firm grip on what's out there. Depending on what spellcasting class you picked, you need to prepare spells (pick em in your book), and then rest to memorize them. Then you expend them as you cast, and need to rest to fill them up again.

Make sure your party member's AI is set correctly, btw. If you want, turn that shit off, put on a lot of the the Pause When <X> Happens options and do things manually.

The game's start is arguably the hardest part. Once you get some levels and a full party, it becomes a whole different game.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So there isn't really an "aggro" system. You typically rely on spells for battlefield control. For a starter player, you can't go wrong with a Fighter. Low maintenance, good survivability, can dish out the pain. Starting off as a spellcaster is hard mode...until later. Spells get insane, but you gotta get a firm grip on what's out there. Depending on what spellcasting class you picked, you need to prepare spells (pick em in your book), and then rest to memorize them. Then you expend them as you cast, and need to rest to fill them up again.

Make sure your party member's AI is set correctly, btw. If you want, turn that shit off, put on a lot of the the Pause When <X> Happens options and do things manually.

The game's start is arguably the hardest party. Once you get some levels and a full party, it becomes a whole different game.

So I've got a party of 6 at the moment, just visited the mines and found out what's going on there. Tbh I got through it but I'm definitely doing combat wrong. Should I simply bin magicians then until later levels? Also, I've got spells memorised but can't seem to find a button to actually cast the thing. Yes I'm an idiot.

Lanrutcon

So I've got a party of 6 at the moment, just visited the mines and found out what's going on there. Tbh I got through it but I'm definitely doing combat wrong. Should I simply bin magicians then until later levels? Also, I've got spells memorised but can't seem to find a button to actually cast the thing. Yes I'm an idiot.

I don't have the interface in front of me, I'm afraid. There should be a...crescent moon-ish button with stars if I remember correctly?

So you need a Divine caster, pref two. Clerics, my friend. Why? Buuuuffs. Layer that shit like it's going out of fashion. Bless, Protection, Divine Might, Aid, Luck, you name it. A buffed party is a happy party. Arcane spellcasters really only hit their stride at level 5 (level 3 spells). From then on they're handy as hell (a fireball to start the fight, a bit of haste on the front line, who wants some tentacles?). BG is a long-term game. Your character will be doing BG, Sword Coast, BG2 and then the BG2 expansion in that order (with potential Beamdog content somewhere). So you'll be spending like, 100 hours with the dude you make. Just cause he sucks now doesn't mean he'll suck at level 24.

Last edited:

4EZCOOLDART

I know, man. Breath of Fire was one of the first RPGs I played too. I'm always playing through them at points in my life it seems but I can never recall if I've actually ever finished one.

My favorite is Breath of Fire III.

I'm planning on playing through Breath of Fire I + II just to see how I like them.

I thought Breath of Fire IV was a little too pastel for me lol. I've barely touched-on V.

Breath of Fire III is probably the perfect all-around RPG. It might not even be in my top 5 all-time JRPGs, but when I picture the all the classic RPG tropes rolled together into a 5-star game I picture Breath of FIre III. The fishing system is baller. It has a bunch of memorable set-pieces like the journey through the endless desert. Dragon transformation? Dope. There was a fight where you train a really scrawny guy to fight a tough dude and can cheat in the actual fight and that was neat. I liked Breath of Fire 1 back in the day but never played 2.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
RPG friends. I am trying to appreciate more Isometric RPG's and get into them, I purchased Divinity 2 on switch. I was looking at getting into the Pillars of Eternity series too. What are your thoughts on it?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
RPG friends. I am trying to appreciate more Isometric RPG's and get into them, I purchased Divinity 2 on switch. I was looking at getting into the Pillars of Eternity series too. What are your thoughts on it?
Don't get it on the Switch unless you don't mind loading screens every time you enter somewhere.

drganon

Been playing ff15 lately. Its been decent so far. The combat is okay, definitely prefer ff7 remake though.

Last edited:
I assume you mean Original Sin 2.

My opinions on those games:

- Original Sin didn't really work for me too well because it had just TOO MANY mechanics which caused the game to be really really slow paced, the first was basically was just 5 hours walking around town after the short 20 minute intro area, combat was also slow as hell and I hated the ground effects that you had to manually remove after combat each time, game didn't offer any option to turn that off, never got the second game because of that (I asked developer if he removed that and he replied no); that being said, Original Sin 2 is considered one of the best RPGs of all time by many people, so I guess it's just me

- Pillars of Eternity on the other hand was great, I was lucky picking the Monk class because that played exactly how I enjoyed the game, there were a bit many dialogues for my taste, but the settings and exploration was fun, also really liked the DLCs

For people suffering with RPGs like Baldur's Gate, all I can say is that you have to be bold and experiment a lot, and be very judicious with pausing the game in order to plan your next moves. You can customise the AI a little bit, so that your magic-users don't run into battle and things like that. A lot of us managed this back in the day when we were kids, you should have no problems either.

I really don't know what to tell you if you can't even figure out how to cast a spell, however. That makes me think a lot of things...

As for myself, I feel like I've made a foolish decision. I've decided to go through my 3DS collection and have started playing Yokai Watch, and it's a horrendous game to be honest. It has really shit gameplay and is quite exhausting to play after a while. I might drop it. Frankly, I can see why it really didn't catch on much as a series after the first few entries (although I think a remake of the first game is headed to the Switch).

DelireMan7

Also, I've got spells memorised but can't seem to find a button to actually cast the thing. Yes I'm an idiot.
I don't have the interface in front of me, I'm afraid. There should be a...crescent moon-ish button with stars if I remember correctly?

I just did Baldur's Gate EE for the first time last month. A great game really.

As Lanrutcon mentionned, the button for spells is a Crescent moon with 3 stars in your action bar (if on PS4, square to access the action bar). From there you can assign "shortcut" to some spell to make them appears directly to your action bar to avoid looking for them in the list (but I don't remember exactly how, I find it out by accident late in my playthrough).

Of course spells should have been memorized first (So successfully written in your spellbook, then you select the ones you want to use and then rest).

- Pillars of Eternity on the other hand was great, I was lucky picking the Monk class because that played exactly how I enjoyed the game, there were a bit many dialogues for my taste, but the settings and exploration was fun, also really liked the DLCs

Pillars needed an editor and all the Backer NPCs moved to a remote island you can't get to.

Oh, story overall was below average, but was still better than the sequel story.

VidKid369

Breath of Fire III is probably the perfect all-around RPG. It might not even be in my top 5 all-time JRPGs, but when I picture the all the classic RPG tropes rolled together into a 5-star game I picture Breath of FIre III. The fishing system is baller. It has a bunch of memorable set-pieces like the journey through the endless desert. Dragon transformation? Dope. There was a fight where you train a really scrawny guy to fight a tough dude and can cheat in the actual fight and that was neat. I liked Breath of Fire 1 back in the day but never played 2.
Yeah, breh. Breath of Fire III is one of my favorite RPGs of all time just because I think they just finally get everything right in that one. The story felt epic. The desert was one of my favorite parts, too. I thought all the characters were pretty neat especially Rei who doesn't think he's their all-time favorite character? It's definitely up there for me.

Well, I just wanted to post about how I finally beat the first SNES Breath of Fire last night and I started on Breath of Fire II today,--again, on Super NES. I'm thinking about just trying to beat all five games since I have them all anyway, lol.

I just got done fishing for items in the first town.

VidKid369

Grandia II is pretty good.

So, I beat Breath of Fire II, finally lol.

Does anyone here like Working Designs' RPGs? I'm about to start a re-play of LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX) it's my absolute favorite game/RPG and I always play it around this time every year. It's like tradition.

I'm gonna try to take notes on it this time and write down random stuff.

Paltheos

Grandia II is pretty good.

So, I beat Breath of Fire II, finally lol.

Does anyone here like Working Designs' RPGs? I'm about to start a re-play of LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX) it's my absolute favorite game/RPG and I always play it around this time every year. It's like tradition.

I'm gonna try to take notes on it this time and write down random stuff.

I'm a fan, yeah. Not sure there's a title they've localized that I haven't liked, to some degree. The Lunar 1 and 2 remakes on the PSX are probably the fan favorites of their output (and they're definitely the biggest experiences), but I personally might have the softest spot in my heart for Vanguard Bandits. Growlansers II and III (packed in Growlanser Generations) are also pretty good.

One of these days I'll get around to playing Albert Odyssey. It's the only 90iest RPG they touched that I haven't played and it looks down my alley for a fun nostalgia romp.

VidKid369

I'm a fan, yeah. Not sure there's a title they've localized that I haven't liked, to some degree. The Lunar 1 and 2 remakes on the PSX are probably the fan favorites of their output (and they're definitely the biggest experiences), but I personally might have the softest spot in my heart for Vanguard Bandits. Growlansers II and III (packed in Growlanser Generations) are also pretty good.

One of these days I'll get around to playing Albert Odyssey. It's the only 90iest RPG they touched that I haven't played and it looks down my alley for a fun nostalgia romp.
LUNARs 1 + 2 is definitely my favorites too, yeah. Vanguard Bandits is also pretty good I still have to do all the branches on a single save. I still haven't really played Growlanser Generations though. After I play LUNAR: SSSC this year I'm thinking about giving Alundra a whirl.

Oh, I recently just have played Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean and it was pretty good. You'll definitely enjoy it!

Martian

Man, due to having no nerdy friends, I really want to get into divinity original sin 2 or Baldurs gate 2. But they both seem so daunting. Does anyone have a recommendation to get me started?

Meanwhile, in my 5th playthrough of fallout new vegas
2x4Gd6J.png

Lanrutcon

Getting into BG2 is a thousand times harder than Divinity 2. BG2 requires you to learn the ruleset on which it is built...Divinity 2 is very straight forward.

Top Bottom