• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I beat Xenoblade 2 last month (amazing game) followed by BotW. I’m currently about 35 hours into Octopath and loving it.

Thinking about DQXI next, but might wait for the Switch version since orchestrated soundtrack is a game changer for me.

SpiceRacz

I'm about 18 hours into my first playthrough of FF7. Game is good and makes me wish I had a PS1 at the time it came out.

I'm already looking ahead and I think I'm going to start either Chrono Cross, Lunar, or Xenogears. Any recommendations between those 3 games?

JSoup

Banned
I'm about 18 hours into my first playthrough of FF7. Game is good and makes me wish I had a PS1 at the time it came out.

I'm already looking ahead and I think I'm going to start either Chrono Cross, Lunar, or Xenogears. Any recommendations between those 3 games?

Lunar is a beautiful series, my vote goes to that.

Mista

Banned
Waiting impatiently for Divinity Original Sin 3. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are by far the most enjoyable RPGs in recent memory. The story is what you make of it, but the skills, character builds, powers and set-piece fights are fantastic!

Couch co-op on Steam using xbox pads = Pure gaming heaven.
DO 1&2 were both great experiences for me. Mind you that I went in blind while knowing nothing about the game. I don’t regret it at all

mcz117chief

Hey, guys. For the past century all the RPGs I played were of Japanese origin or were heavily inspired by them. I am always looking around for any good Western RPGs but there doesn't seem to be any. I really enjoyed the un-enhanced Divinity Original Sin, love Gothic 1 and 2 (finished them a million times already) as well as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Any western RPG out there that is not by-the-book and is more niche and interesting?

Mista

Banned
Hey, guys. For the past century all the RPGs I played were of Japanese origin or were heavily inspired by them. I am always looking around for any good Western RPGs but there doesn't seem to be any. I really enjoyed the un-enhanced Divinity Original Sin, love Gothic 1 and 2 (finished them a million times already) as well as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Any western RPG out there that is not by-the-book and is more niche and interesting?
Not niche but definitely one of the all time greats in the genre and considered my game of the generation so far. Yes it’s The Witcher 3

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really hope we hear something about the next Tales of game around E3... it's been a while since the last one. Although, at this point I'm kinda hoping they just wait and aim for next gen rather than coming out with a new game right at the end of this generation and then using the same engine all next-gen like how they kept using the current engine so long.

DO 1&2 were both great experiences for me. Mind you that I went in blind while knowing nothing about the game. I don’t regret it at all

Me too. My Brother and I purchased the first DO because we remember how fun Divinity was on the PC. We needed a couch co-op game and the rest is history. Over the two games we have 300 hrs logged and 3 playthroughs each.

Lone wolf dual-wield/2handed + archer = Easy win mode

Winter John

I haven't been playing much of anything since I finished Persona 5. I put a few hours into Path of Exile which I've been enjoying a lot. I tried following one of them YouTube builds but they take away the fun of making a character and seeing how it turns out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Getting ready to finish Tales of Vesperia, the definite edition, on the Switch. I've put about 65 hours into it, and I've had a lot of fun getting to know the characters, finding rare synthesis materials, level grinding (all my guys are 90+), fighting big monsters, all that.

Thinking I might replay either Final Fantasy XII or X-2 next. Leaning towards X-2 since I've only beat that game once.

At home, I started playing Lunar Silver Star Story on my PlayStation Classic. Not sure how or why I managed to skip this game when it came out, but I finished the first dungeon and I'm already hooked.

huiboy

Neo Member
I noticed there wasn't a thread for general chat about rpgs so thought I'd make one. I been getting into jrpgs recently. I'd tried a couple out in the past but I didn't click with them. I bought the Dragon Quest game last year, pretty much on a whim. I was going to buy Tomb Raider but it looked average at best so I picked up DQ instead and I thought it was great. The graphics were nice, it had some real funny moments in it but the main thing was I didn't have to grind to finish it. That's been my bugbear with jrpgs in general. I don't like grinding. I gave up on Ni No Kuni after about 10 hours or so because it was getting grindy as hell. Same with the Final Fantasy game I tried.

Anyway, I bought Tales Of Berseria after that. I wasn't a fan of the combat. Halfway through I set it to auto and let the game do it's thing while I made coffee or browsed the net. It was the story and the characters I enjoyed. Like DQ it didn't take itself too seriously and it was a decent game. I didn't do many of the side quests. There were classified zones and demons to hunt which I ignored but I felt like I got more than my money's worth just doing the main story. I'll probably go back to it one day and do them on new game+.

Now I've started Persona 5. I don't know if it's for me. I like the combat and the graphics. The music is great but I don't know if I'm going to like the high school setting but I'll see how it turns out.

I need help getting into JRPGs too. I was in love with Pokemon, and FF Tactics as a kid. Now they just bore me and i can't bear to drag myself through monotonous dialogue. I really want to fall in love with a JRPG again and like you i've bought many titles that caught my eye but haven't got it to stick. I found myself forcing myself to play and enjoy it, but it's not always the most engaging thing. The longest i've played in a series is P5 (60+ hrs) and that's the best of the best; all the classics that i would love to fall in love with like FF and Kingdom Hearts, just don't do it for me. I'm about to give DQXI another try, but months ago when i put it on hold, i remember i just couldn't bear to play it anymore

JSoup

Banned
So, recently started and finished Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion.
Yes, it's an RPG. Just a really simplistic one that also involves a lot of Wind Waker like travel.
Does something I don't see too often these days, there are no inns or save points to recover health. Instead, the game showers you with cash and items, so go heal yourself, asshole. I think I really liked it because it's such a simple game. So many RPGs try to add convoluted mechanics and screwy systems. This is none of that. It's just a straight forward 'go over there, kick that guy in the balls, repeat as needed until the final boss pops up'.

ShadowCloud14

Neo Member
Difficult to keep up with my RPG hobby since I recently became a parent. I have been semi re-playing FF7 on the Switch, which is amazing in handheld mode.

RPG's on my list to play (some day): Xenoblade Chronicles 2, FF9, FFX, and Chrono Cross.

bigedole

Would love if people shared some of the lesser known games they found on the PSN store, I'm always looking out for new RPGs there. Like @Whataburger mentioned, Death End;Re Quest is probably my favorite recent game out of Compile Heart. I definitely wouldn't suggest it at full price, as it is a little light on the content, but the story grabbed me and the mechanics were interesting and a little different. I'm more partial to TRPGs so the Agarest War games will always be my favorite entries from CH probably :p Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story was surprisingly enjoyable. It's hard to explain what it's like, kind of like a SIMS game meets JRPGs. It should be cheap, strongly suggest trying it out if videos on youtube pique your interest at all. I enjoyed my time with it.

I'm currently working on God of War, which I wouldn't call an RPG really, but I picked up The Last Remnant Remastered in the most recent sale and am going to give it a go when I finish GoW. I finished KH3 before that, which I really enjoyed. Before that was Dark Rose Valkyrie, which was good for the heavily discounted price I got it at, and before that was Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales which I really enjoyed. It told a good story and the card combat was really fun for me. There are reports of crashing/freezing problems but the only one I ever experienced was very avoidable without impacting my enjoyment at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for some of the less mainstream games available on PSN? I try to avoid the KOEI games as they're basically just copy and pastes of the same things and the stories in the couple I did play were extremely disappointing. I was considering Romancing Saga 2 but it looked complicated and that and the 16 bit aesthetic kind of put me off. I was also contemplating Secret of Mana since it's finally getting discounted but also heard things about it that make me question whether it'd be worthwhile even at this price.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Would love if people shared some of the lesser known games they found on the PSN store, I'm always looking out for new RPGs there. Like @Whataburger mentioned, Death End;Re Quest is probably my favorite recent game out of Compile Heart. I definitely wouldn't suggest it at full price, as it is a little light on the content, but the story grabbed me and the mechanics were interesting and a little different. I'm more partial to TRPGs so the Agarest War games will always be my favorite entries from CH probably :p Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story was surprisingly enjoyable. It's hard to explain what it's like, kind of like a SIMS game meets JRPGs. It should be cheap, strongly suggest trying it out if videos on youtube pique your interest at all. I enjoyed my time with it.

I'm currently working on God of War, which I wouldn't call an RPG really, but I picked up The Last Remnant Remastered in the most recent sale and am going to give it a go when I finish GoW. I finished KH3 before that, which I really enjoyed. Before that was Dark Rose Valkyrie, which was good for the heavily discounted price I got it at, and before that was Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales which I really enjoyed. It told a good story and the card combat was really fun for me. There are reports of crashing/freezing problems but the only one I ever experienced was very avoidable without impacting my enjoyment at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for some of the less mainstream games available on PSN? I try to avoid the KOEI games as they're basically just copy and pastes of the same things and the stories in the couple I did play were extremely disappointing. I was considering Romancing Saga 2 but it looked complicated and that and the 16 bit aesthetic kind of put me off. I was also contemplating Secret of Mana since it's finally getting discounted but also heard things about it that make me question whether it'd be worthwhile even at this price.
Go play Labyrinth of Refrain.

Winter John

My persona experience was a strange one. Played it for 10 hours, didn’t send the calling card in time ... thought it was stupid and dropped it. Completed Witcher 3’s campaign instead.

Came back to persona, started having a good time. The music was catchy. I was having fun.

80hrs later.... WHY WONT THIS GSME F***king END!?

Went back to Witcher and its expansions

PS - During this experience i came to the conclusion that Witcher 3 was the best action adventure fantasy rpg or whatever the hell you want to say it is... ever... still.

That was the same experience I had. The game kept warning me but I thought I had enough time. I deleted it after I failed the first palace because it pissed me off that I was going to have to go all the way through it again. I Picked it up again last year because everything I ever read about it said it was great so I thought I'd give it another shot. I had a good time with it until one night there was some cut scene which seemed to be dragging on. I looked at the clock and realized it'd been going on for 40 minutes. Then it got to this stuff where they all went on holiday. That was when I started to lose my patience and began fast forwarding through the scenes. Then I switched the difficulty down to easy cos I couldn't stand the endless dungeons anymore. I just wanted to see how the story finished. I think of it as the best of the worst rpgs I've ever played. The characters, the music, the art and the story are fantastic but they could have easily cut 40% out of it.

Lanrutcon

So Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

140 hours so far. I'm giving up. I'm in the end dungeon (dear God it better be the last dungeon) and it's rough. Almost every encounter is a rest, full range of buffs and then a few tries before I win. Then I resurrect the fallen and soldier on. Every, single, fight. High level Fey are being used as henchman in encounters. Shit that would be scary in small groups are coming at me in packs, supported by other types of Fey. I don't know if the end game of the tabletop adventure is this crazy but I somehow doubt it. I am pretty sure the end parts of this game were not playtested thoroughly.

But my worst problem is technical: my savegame is huge and quicksaving takes 2 to 3 minutes now. I had to turn off Cloud sync because the savegame is too large. Plus, the game is eating memory like I accidentally opened 100 tabs in Chrome. I can play for about an hour before the game sits at 8gb ram on its own.

DixieNormus

Neo Member
So Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

140 hours so far. I'm giving up. I'm in the end dungeon (dear God it better be the last dungeon) and it's rough. Almost every encounter is a rest, full range of buffs and then a few tries before I win. Then I resurrect the fallen and soldier on. Every, single, fight. High level Fey are being used as henchman in encounters. Shit that would be scary in small groups are coming at me in packs, supported by other types of Fey. I don't know if the end game of the tabletop adventure is this crazy but I somehow doubt it. I am pretty sure the end parts of this game were not playtested thoroughly.

But my worst problem is technical: my savegame is huge and quicksaving takes 2 to 3 minutes now. I had to turn off Cloud sync because the savegame is too large. Plus, the game is eating memory like I accidentally opened 100 tabs in Chrome. I can play for about an hour before the game sits at 8gb ram on its own.
Pillars of Eternity is waiting for you. :)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
After managing to avoid them most of my life (not because I don’t like them, I just thought they were beyond me), I have managed to beat a few JRPGs over the past year. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, to name a few.

I just finished Final Fantasy VII and am about 8 hours into Final Fantasy IX. It’s a gorgeous looking game. I’m digging the aesthetic.

It’s kind of wonderful being able to experience timeless classics for the first time.

PaulBizkit

I started playing FF12 Zodiac Age on Switch, and the enhancements from the US PS2 version almost night and day.

I'm at Bhujerba, just rescued Penelo

New additions: the job system is great, and the characters feel waaay more different than before, it's worth playing just for that. The speed up feature surprised me on how convenient it ended up being, specially when back-tracking to a save crystal.

Story & characters: the story is simpler than I remember, Vaan's voice is more annoying than I remember, Balthier is just as awesome as I remember. The world is amazing and Ashe, Basch, Balthier and Fran are great as well, I wish Matsuno had the project control he deserved.

Graphics & music: well, im playing on the Switch, so this game doesnt feel TOO disconnected from what I normally see (specially since im also playing and almost finishing Valkyria Chronicles 4), the characters look good but the real beauty are backgrounds and the world itself. The music is better than i remember.

I dont normally replay games, and the only FF games I've EVER replayed were FF7 and 12. Which of course are my favorites, along with 4.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I started playing FF12 Zodiac Age on Switch, and the enhancements from the US PS2 version almost night and day.

I'm at Bhujerba, just rescued Penelo

New additions: the job system is great, and the characters feel waaay more different than before, it's worth playing just for that. The speed up feature surprised me on how convenient it ended up being, specially when back-tracking to a save crystal.

Story & characters: the story is simpler than I remember, Vaan's voice is more annoying than I remember, Balthier is just as awesome as I remember. The world is amazing and Ashe, Basch, Balthier and Fran are great as well, I wish Matsuno had the project control he deserved.

Graphics & music: well, im playing on the Switch, so this game doesnt feel TOO disconnected from what I normally see (specially since im also playing and almost finishing Valkyria Chronicles 4), the characters look good but the real beauty are backgrounds and the world itself. The music is better than i remember.

I dont normally replay games, and the only FF games I've EVER replayed were FF7 and 12. Which of course are my favorites, along with 4.
I’ve just recently played FFVI/FFVII and am halfway through FFIX. For the first time in most cases. Loving it, but I’m really torn whether to play FFX next or just skip straight to FFXII. I’ve never liked the look of FFX, especially the character designs. It looks like a children’s Saturday morning cartoon mixed with top 40 boy band crap. That’s when I lost interest in FF.

PaulBizkit

I’ve just recently played FFVI/FFVII and am halfway through FFIX. For the first time in most cases. Loving it, but I’m really torn whether to play FFX next or just skip straight to FFXII. I’ve never liked the look of FFX, especially the character designs. It looks like a children’s Saturday morning cartoon mixed with top 40 boy band crap. That’s when I lost interest in FF.
Honestly, I think FFX would be the most "important" one to play first. But FF12 is just a whole lot better, specially if you like Monster-Hunter-like quests (go there, kill a big baddie) and world exploration. FFX has a great battle system and a excellent story, but I cant help but prefer FF12

ROMhack

It does seem to be where FF went a bit too Japanese pop-culture (and one should never go full Japanese pop-culture).

Last edited:

bigedole

Go play Labyrinth of Refrain.

Wanted to let you know that I am thoroughly enjoying Labyrinth of Refrain. I just got to the 5th dungeon, Towers of Umbra and I think I've unlocked all of the mechanics now. It's very interesting how the gameplay itself is very simple, but the mechanics behind it are very complicated hehe. It's addictive the way it plays though, thank you very much for the suggestion!

Yugrio1212

Honestly, I think FFX would be the most "important" one to play first. But FF12 is just a whole lot better, specially if you like Monster-Hunter-like quests (go there, kill a big baddie) and world exploration. FFX has a great battle system and a excellent story, but I cant help but prefer FF12

Considering replaying this. It was a classic.

Paltheos

Suikoden 2 is the best RPG ever made. Carry on

It's not even a better game than its predecessor.
Buddy Attack trivializes encounters for the first third of the game, and piling on runes onto the rest of your team goes a long way in destroying challenge otherwise (as a point of reference, S2 allows 3 runes per character as opposed to S1's 1).
The anime artstyle is less distinctive than S1's comicy designs. For Riou in particular, his babyface made him impossible for me to take seriously as a leader.
Army battle's are actual farces - scripted events where the best moves are to just play as conservatively as possible until the sequence ends. S1 let you actually fight.
The game squanders too much time on nonsense. Why is the leader of the resistance army being personally sent into enemy territory to retrieve one guy from the library town? S1's quests sent you to convert whole regions in an ever escalating conflict. Yeah, the script was hokey allot of the time but I always felt like I was doing something important.
Party members are arbitrarily locked out of your team at points in the story. I just want to use Viktor and Flik dammit.

I'll give it this though: When the political thriller stuff is firing on full cylinders, S2 is really a sight. The direction, shot composition, pacing are impeccable at its best, which is what I think people remember most fondly about S2. What people forget is that there's allot about the game that just sucks.

Corrik

It's not even a better game than its predecessor.
Buddy Attack trivializes encounters for the first third of the game, and piling on runes onto the rest of your team goes a long way in destroying challenge otherwise (as a point of reference, S2 allows 3 runes per character as opposed to S1's 1).
The anime artstyle is less distinctive than S1's comicy designs. For Riou in particular, his babyface made him impossible for me to take seriously as a leader.
Army battle's are actual farces - scripted events where the best moves are to just play as conservatively as possible until the sequence ends. S1 let you actually fight.
The game squanders too much time on nonsense. Why is the leader of the resistance army being personally sent into enemy territory to retrieve one guy from the library town? S1's quests sent you to convert whole regions in an ever escalating conflict. Yeah, the script was hokey allot of the time but I always felt like I was doing something important.
Party members are arbitrarily locked out of your team at points in the story. I just want to use Viktor and Flik dammit.

I'll give it this though: When the political thriller stuff is firing on full cylinders, S2 is really a sight. The direction, shot composition, pacing are impeccable at its best, which is what I think people remember most fondly about S2. What people forget is that there's allot about the game that just sucks.
Suikoden 1 is one of the most underrated games of all time, specifically perhaps because Suikoden 2 is so praised. However, Suikoden 1 is only equal to 2. It does not surpass it.

You are discussing maxxing in a game to make difficulty easier as a knock against the game. It exists in Suikoden 1 also. Your argument would be like saying Suikoden 1 is too easy cuz Soul Eater can decimate everything in 1 spell pretty much.

That said, Suikoden 1 has the best song of any video game ever in Air Guitar. Is supremely underrated. And I would place it in the top 5 RPGs of all time.

Probably go Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 2, Suikoden, FFVI, and FF7 to round out my top jRPGs I played. (Granted biased to the past and only includes games I have played).

Shining Force 2 would probably lead the charge following that.

Paltheos

Suikoden 1 is one of the most underrated games of all time, specifically perhaps because Suikoden 2 is so praised. However, Suikoden 1 is only equal to 2. It does not surpass it.

You are discussing maxxing in a game to make difficulty easier as a knock against the game. It exists in Suikoden 1 also. Your argument would be like saying Suikoden 1 is too easy cuz Soul Eater can decimate everything in 1 spell pretty much.

That said, Suikoden 1 has the best song of any video game ever in Air Guitar. Is supremely underrated. And I would place it in the top 5 RPGs of all time.

Probably go Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 2, Suikoden, FFVI, and FF7 to round out my top jRPGs I played. (Granted biased to the past and only includes games I have played).

Shining Force 2 would probably lead the charge following that.

Maybe, I don't know. S1 is neat, and I had an ok time the whole time. S2 I had a great time some of the times but more often than not I was frustrated by something or the other.

I don't think the maxxing comment is fair. Buddy Attack is immediately available and almost always kills instantly or cripples the entire enemy party. Soul Eater is a limited use spell that most of the time is also single target. It's been a while since I played S2 but I think just equipping decent runes is enough most of the time to give you an abundance of options. I think the restrictions made S1 more interesting but again it's been a while.

Corrik

Maybe, I don't know. S1 is neat, and I had an ok time the whole time. S2 I had a great time some of the times but more often than not I was frustrated by something or the other.

I don't think the maxxing comment is fair. Buddy Attack is immediately available and almost always kills instantly or cripples the entire enemy party. Soul Eater is a limited use spell that most of the time is also single target. It's been a while since I played S2 but I think just equipping decent runes is enough most of the time to give you an abundance of options. I think the restrictions made S1 more interesting but again it's been a while.
Buddy Attack is available for a character you lose later on in the game. You are choosing to use it. It is a unite for the two main characters of the game. 3 rune slots on characters are only available for a select amount.

Runes overpower Suikoden 1 completely. My first play through, I never even used runes besides the Soul Eater at all and just used herbs and had zero issues.

Suikoden I also has perm deaths for characters in battles which are based on randomness (even if you do all the right things). That is more frustrating than anything. Suikoden 2 had SRPG wars while Suikoden I had rock-paper-scissors ones.

Paltheos

'Choosing to use it' is a crap argument. There are circumstances in which it holds water, situations where you need to go to great lengths to get a superpower i.e. Completing all the esoteric requirements for Vandalier Ash in Vandal Hearts and then bitching that he trivializes the last chapter is dumb, but for the most part if something is in a game and especially if the game's in my face about it, I'm not to blame for using it and finding the experience to lack for difficulty for it.

I'll take your word on the rest. It's been too long since I played. I wouldn't be surprised at all that an old PS1 RPG is easily busted, and I remember S1 having its own fair share of problems.

Last edited:

gamefun_4

Neo Member
I understand that the topic about RPG, but I have a question. Did you try A Plague Tale Innocence? Mostly, I'm not playing such games (actions/adventures), but when I just started, I couldn't stop.
The most interesting thing here is developer was inspired by Last Of Us on PS4.

Just check the first 10 minutes (YouTube Game Play) and let us know what do you think?

Been playing Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii. My characters are around level 77-79. I'm about 119 hours into the game. I'm planning on grinding my characters to Level 99. Doing more sidequests, and been doing the Colony 6 reconstruction sidequest.

B BlueDogAnchorite Xenoblade is the next RPG I'm tackling and I already feel daunted by its massiveness. Gotta finish Virtue's Last Reward first.

ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler I'm loving Xenoblade. So much stuff to do. I love the battle system, music, cast, story and world. I love exploring the world and finding new areas. I would love for Monolith Soft to remake this game in the future with better graphics.

After I beat Xenoblade, next is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I finished Xenoblade 2 and Torna The Golden Country. Those two are my favorite Switch games.

Virtue's Last Reward is a great game. So many twists and turns.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve had a dilemma for a while now. I’ve been tempted to play Xenoblade Chronicles after playing and adoring XC2. The problem is, I have a factory sealed copy of the game on Wii. That fact, coupled with needing to get my Wii out, get batteries for the Wii remote, set up the sensor bar etc, has me holding off and hoping that Nintendo re-releases the game in HD. I don’t want to buy a New 3DS to play that version either. I suppose I could buy it on the Wii U eshop for $26AUD.

Anyone think Nintendo will remaster it?

Seeing the recent avalanche of ports, remasters and whatnot, a Xenoblade remaster sounds plausible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it any time soon. My guess is that games from older generations would be better candidates, as was the case for FFX/XII. Imagine a Skies of Arcadia on the Switch...

If I were you I'd endure the hassle of getting the Wii up and running because the game looks really worth it. Or if you have a Wii U (since you mentioned the Wii U eshop) go ahead and buy it.

Corrik

'Choosing to use it' is a crap argument. There are circumstances in which it holds water, situations where you need to go to great lengths to get a superpower i.e. Completing all the esoteric requirements for Vandalier Ash in Vandal Hearts and then bitching that he trivializes the last chapter is dumb, but for the most part if something is in a game and especially if the game's in my face about it, I'm not to blame for using it and finding the experience to lack for difficulty for it.

I'll take your word on the rest. It's been too long since I played. I wouldn't be surprised at all that an old PS1 RPG is easily busted, and I remember S1 having its own fair share of problems.
I don't disagree with you for the most part. But, again, you are not understanding that Jowy and Riou together are the main antagonist and protagonist. And, they are not together for most of the game.

A good example for what you are talking about is, Xenosaga Episode 1 which I love dearly, but the mechs break the game because they just stomp everything. And, they are there for pretty much the entire game and always and option. Riou and Jowy unite thing was more of a tip to their stories than an OP game-breaking thing. It isn't an option for the most of the game and when the story gets to where it matters.

Top Bottom