• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games RPG Hangout

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
26 hours into Atelier Ryza and I am completely addicted to this game. I am still under half way through the game. I moved the switch to a 27” IPS monitor and the texture issues with the shadows are rarely noticeable now.

I can say without a doubt this is my favorite JRPG in a while. I am digging how vibrant and performant this game runs on the switch too.

I think I will be purchasing all the US DLC which seems to work on the Euro physical edition.

I am really hyped about part 2. The forgiveness of dying feels right and lack of a time attack for quests is what really make this a pleasure to just get that slice of life plus alchemy game play perfect IMO.
How's the crafting aspect? Been looking for an RPG with a heavy focus on crafting, material gathering, etc.

Mar 18, 2018
How's the crafting aspect? Been looking for an RPG with a heavy focus on crafting, material gathering, etc.
Fantastic IMO. It’s easy to get into and the in game help is great. However, once you are about 30+ hours in and the story gets about half way then you have to really have a grasp on how to build to get your team geared right.

Also, your Atelier grows with you and resource gathering gets pretty interesting in a game that could easily have Not put as much into it. Because there is no time attack nature to this game, where you can fail in previous titles, you can lean really hard into crafting and collecting.

Jan 16, 2020
I just completed the monastery portion of the main quest line in Kingdom Come Deliverance, where I had to infiltrate/join a monastery, identify someone who assumed a new identity and then either assassinate him, let him go or bring him to justice. It was a little tedious going through the daily monk schedule, with only a few hours each day to do some detective work, but it was a totally unique RPG experience, for me anyways.
I had a feeling this quest would be tedious, so once I confirmed that online, I looked up who he was and short-circuited the whole thing: refused the tour, immediately accused the faker, beat him with my bare hands, stole the dice, and finally spent 8 days in jail until I was released in Sasau. The guards confiscate anything you take except for quest items apparently :messenger_winking:

I'm normally a purist about playing things the way they're intended, but my gaming time is limited and I can't tolerate busywork. I liked the idea of the quest though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc2049

VidKid369

Neo Member
Jul 3, 2020
I just beat Chrono Trigger, just a few minutes ago lol. It's been awhile since I last played it, and I seem to always get the same exact ending everytime I go to re-play this game. Go figure.

I'm really excited about what I'm going to play next but for tonight, for the time being, I'm going to take a break and celebrate. I always do this when I finish an RPG lol.

Good luck in your RPG adventures y'all!

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I've been playing a lot of FFXII: TZA recently and it's pretty damn awesome.

I've never played an MMO before but I really like the gambit system, which largely plays itself but provides enough room for me to give input and feel like I'm having some say in what's happening (e.g. using magics/items).

Love the story and characters. No idea why people seem bothered about Vaan and Penelo (something I've heard).

Quality of Life features in the remaster are simply awesome - makes me wonder why all RPGs don't have x2 time.

So far, I'd probably rank it as my second favourite FF game (behind VI).

GeorgPrime

Jan 9, 2020
Hope you dont mind guys... just a heads up:

In Like 5 hours Rabbit & Bear Studios will stream the last "4 Hours of the Eiyuden Chronicle Kickstarter" campaign :) Maybe you are just curios and want to join Twitch to watch it.

If you are an RPG Fan and you didnt realize it .... there is a spiritual Successor for Suikoden coming out. Helmed by Murayama (Writer of Suikoden 1, 2 and 3) and some of the important Core Team from Suikoden 1-5.

Its a great thing for J-RPG fans because we pushed it into the Top 3 of Most Funded Videogame Kickstarters of all time and it has the highest amount of japanese backers on a videogame kickstarter ever. We made our voice heard that J-RPGs are still a great thing. (Around 15.000 new backers that never pledged to a project before)

Special Guests for the closing stream so far are:

- Kenji Akabane (Super Robot X-Ω, Dragonball Legends, and Fate/Grand Order)
- Michiko Naruke (Music Composer for Wild Arms)
- Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill Composer)

You can even check out the OT that i started:

Or visit the Kickstarter if you dont want to miss the chance to back it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanrutcon

DelireMan7

May 22, 2019
I summon you, O all mighty CRPG players ! Grant me your wisdom !

I am interested in getting into the Baldur's Gate serie but I am conflicted. I avoid as much as I can PC games and there is the nice bundle BG 1/2 enhanced on PS4 but I really think the Mouse/Keyboard is superior for these games. (and actually playing on PC would be part of the charm for me even if I usually more likely to drop the few games I try to play on PC)
Any feedback about the PS4 Version ?

Then about PC version.
I was surprise to see that the BG1/2 bundle enhanced are not available on PC (have to buy them separately).
I red a bit about these enhanced edition and looks like many bugs (fixed by mod on the original) were carry over.
Any feedback on these Enhanced edition ?

I could also go for the originals and the corrective mods. But the reason I avoid PC gaming, is because I want something simple. Are the mods difficult to install ?
Which mods (corrective only, nothing that implement new stuff) would you recommend for a newcomer ?

So to summarize : Which is the best version to get the "original" experience of Baldur's Gate without too many troubles ?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Been playing tokyo xanadu lately. Its a pretty sweet action jrpg. Also bought caligula effect overdose and the valkyria chronicles bundle because they were on a pretty decent sale on psn.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
I summon you, O all mighty CRPG players ! Grant me your wisdom !

I am interested in getting into the Baldur's Gate serie but I am conflicted. I avoid as much as I can PC games and there is the nice bundle BG 1/2 enhanced on PS4 but I really think the Mouse/Keyboard is superior for these games. (and actually playing on PC would be part of the charm for me even if I usually more likely to drop the few games I try to play on PC)
Any feedback about the PS4 Version ?

Then about PC version.
I was surprise to see that the BG1/2 bundle enhanced are not available on PC (have to buy them separately).
I red a bit about these enhanced edition and looks like many bugs (fixed by mod on the original) were carry over.
Any feedback on these Enhanced edition ?

I could also go for the originals and the corrective mods. But the reason I avoid PC gaming, is because I want something simple. Are the mods difficult to install ?
Which mods (corrective only, nothing that implement new stuff) would you recommend for a newcomer ?

So to summarize : Which is the best version to get the "original" experience of Baldur's Gate without too many troubles ?
Grab Beamdog's versions for the smoothest experience. It's got some additional content that people are divided on, but it's your best bet for no technical issues, ease of use, etc. I have no idea how you play these games with a controller, but I am curious!

Reactions: DelireMan7

Nehezir

Neo Member
Sep 2, 2020
when I'm not playing FFXIV, I tend to hover between my backlog and Monster Hunter. Both Iceborne and Generations Ultimate. Excited for the next title since we should be expecting an announcement on it soon.

I do need new games for my switch, though. Bad news is I want a multiplayer RPG for it and getting the Crystal Chronicles is on hold for a month or two.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
Bought Wasteland 3.

Severly unimpressed.

The downgrade from the initial reveal is so dramatic I just don't want to play anymore.

Edit: gave it another shot and that will be the end of it. It's ugly, the stat backend is basic and make no sense, 99% of the quirks are useless/not worth it, you can't shoot who you want, detection is STILL not LOS based, engine runs like crap, can't make your character look like their portraits and combat is boring as fuck. I can't go from a professional product like PF:K or D:OS to this.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TeezzyD

Labadal

Aug 31, 2010
I'm playing Wasteland 3. I've focused each character on one weapon and two non-combat skills. I'm early on, but I hope that my builds don't bite me in the ass. I'm on the second highest difficulty and just reached Colorado.

DelireMan7

May 22, 2019
Last week I started Baldur’s Gate on PS4… Wow ! I haven’t had so much pleasure playing a game since a long time (aside of Souls game). A true wonder. I am only in chapter 3 but I love everything about it.

A bit confused at the beginning since it’s my first game of this kind but now I am in love.

I went for a Shaman and currently having Branwen, Raasad, Imoen, Dorn and Neera (the last 2 will probably get replaced soon, I don’t get “attached” to them).

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
I’m going old school and playing Wasteland Remastered. It’s my first Wasteland game. I was an Atari 8&16-bit computer user back in the day and Wasteland was never released on those platforms. The design is old school and there is no hand holding, but they added cut scenes and voice acting to the major events in the game. Once I’m done with Wasteland, I’ll tackle Wasteland 3.

• Love
Reactions: ZZZZ