• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 now has a total of ZERO games in the Nothing status. This means that all known games and applications at least boot on the emulator

AGRacing

I didn’t. I think it’s the first time I heard of that method.
I have an original 60GB that miraculously has not had any issues..

But I also had one I reflowed in 2009.... worked for a few months and died again. I believe I'll be attempting this. It seems like potentially the REAL root cause of the issue.

There are a number of videos where I've seen this method solve the issue. Here's an explanation.

The Misdiagnosis of the PlayStation 3 Yellow Light of Death - YouTube

McCheese

Nobody is asking the real question here - is Noby Noby Boy fully playable yet? The last time I tried it hung once it got in-game despite being marked "Playable" in their database.

I have an OG UK PS3 still, (complete with sixaxis controller) I didn't really use it at the time, I'm tempted to turn it on at 14 years old and see if it still works.

It was the model with half of the ps2 chips removed, so didn't have 100% BC for that, the anouncement of them removing even that reduced hardware made me buy the thing.

Last edited:

stranno

Most games running on FPGA are 1:1
FPGAs are emulation. As good as the implementation gets. Of course they have much documentation nowadays, after 20 years of software emulation, but they're not perfect.

Iirc, Mega SG had some problems with Titan Overdrive demo, while it worked flawlessly on BlastEM.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
FPGAs are emulation. As good as the implementation gets. Of course they have much documentation nowadays, after 20 years of software emulation, but they're not perfect.

Iirc, Mega SG had some problems with Titan Overdrive demo, while it worked flawlessly on BlastEM.
I know FPGA is emulation.
Most games running on FPGA are 1:1 - meaning if you run them side by side they're identical.

Couldn't care less for MegaSG - MiSTer is the place to be.

"Better" with bugs, you phillistine.

FPGA can get it right a lot, but not always, and rpcs3 isn't that.
Some of the bugs from original hardware are fixed.

RPCS3 is even better - cause it can enhance the games - up to 4K, up to 240hz, better lightning, better shades and mods (field of view for example).

From a "purist" point of view - I know it's not perfect, cause tinkering with settings is a no-no. That doesn't change that a lot of games are running better in emulators nowadays.

Rickyiez

I'm torn on if I should play through Demon's Souls on rpcs3 or wait for the PC release of the remake since it was part of the Steam leak and they seem to all get confirmed lately?
Wait for the remake . Demon Souls PS3 still looks very rough even with the resolution upscale due to the texture and lighting (bloom)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
This is absolutely great news. I look forward to the day where all PS3 games can be played in higher res and great 60fps performance.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is there a thread where hardware used to run this is discussed?

Nm, just realized my old PC doesn't have a disc drive.

Banned
I'm torn on if I should play through Demon's Souls on rpcs3 or wait for the PC release of the remake since it was part of the Steam leak and they seem to all get confirmed lately?

the remaster looks way better, but gameplay wise there's not much of a difference, it still runs the original engine to handle all the gameplay relevant things after all.

Last edited:
Wait for the remake . Demon Souls PS3 still looks very rough even with the resolution upscale due to the texture and lighting (bloom)
Seeing that God knows when it's gonna get announced I decided to give it a try on the emulator, other than the missing shield bug, it runs at a smooth 60fps and looks pretty good at 1080p, might play through it since I basically played through all FROM games after Dark Souls lol

stranno

I know FPGA is emulation.
Most games running on FPGA are 1:1 - meaning if you run them side by side they're identical.
If most games are "identical" it is just because the implementation is good enough.

What I mean is that there's nothing inherent to the FPGAs that make it better than a general purpose processor running Windows 10. It's all about how good is the emulation.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
If most games are "identical" it is just because the implementation is good enough.

What I mean is that there's nothing inherent to the FPGAs that make it better than a general purpose processor running Windows 10. It's all about how good is the emulation.
I know...

FPGA is the best emulation you can get (by far) - if you're a purist.

subsmoke

That's cool but a PS3 emulator seems pointless. The point of emulating older games from the PS2 generation and before is that they look terrible on the native hardware which isn't the case for PS3 games.

YCoCg

That's cool but a PS3 emulator seems pointless. The point of emulating older games from the PS2 generation and before is that they look terrible on the native hardware which isn't the case for PS3 games.
This allows games to escape 720p/30fps. There's loads of games that can be unlocked to 60fps or even 120fps and rendering can go up 4k, which for a modern display is a huge benefit.

Shmunter

Imagine how easy this would be for Sony with unfettered access to all things PS3 and low level access to PS5.

Stupid.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is the single most impressive emulator in existence considering how crazy the architecture the PS3 is reported to be,

stranno

Quite normal numbers for emulation. OG Xbox, despite supposedly having similar architecture to PCs, is still behind ps3 emulation after 20 years.
RPCS3, and probably Yuzu, has full-time developers, people that only works on RPCS3, like kd-11 and Nekotekina. That's why it has advanced so quickly.

No one payed XBOX devs until very recently, that Luke Usher (Cxbx-Reloaded and Insignia creator) made a Patreon.

Some people, like Martin Korth (nocash), made commercial emulators and other people asked for donations, but neither of both has nothing to do with a ~2,500 dollars/month Patreon.

Guilty_AI

RPCS3, and probably Yuzu, has full-time developers, people that only works on RPCS3, like kd-11 and Nekotekina. That's why it has advanced so quickly.

No one payed XBOX devs until very recently, that Luke Usher (Cxbx-Reloaded and Insignia creator) made a Patreon.

Some people, like Martin Korth (nocash), made commercial emulators and other people asked for donations, but neither of both has nothing to do with a ~2,500 dollars/month Patreon.
Thats sorta of the point. The most troublesome part about developing emulators is having people to actually do it, which is why it can take quite long. RPCS3 only started 2011-2012, and it didn't have the full team until 2016.

stranno

There is a PS vita emulation?

Yo play my game.... Gravity Rush
Nah. Vita3K is the only emulator and it has been stalled for a long time. It runs some games, but of course not that kind of games. You will probably see the Remastered version emulated on Spine before Vita3K.

If you want to play on PC, PS Now is the closest you can get.

Nickolaidas

Finished Demon's Souls yet again after not playing it for a decade in this emulator. Was on my way to a New Game +. However, when I downloaded one of their daily updates, it installed a file which fucked up the emulator and refused to boot up. Even re-installing it didn't work. It was some kind of file which gets saved on another directory in the Windows folder and deleting and re-downloading the file from other websites didn't work.

Emulator simply refused to work from then on.

I wonder if a newer version fixed that issue.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RPCS3 has been great a while now, played Ninja Gaiden and finished Demon's Souls with no issues a while back.

I wish Xbox emulation was as good. I just wanna play Orta but XEMU has performance issues and some annoying graphical glitches and while CXBX seems much better, if not nearly flaweless, that's only with the experimental multithreading support on which means instability and frequent crashing.

A lot of the ones you mentioned dont have playable status because they drop to the 20s fps in some scenes. Aside from that, they are usually pretty playable.

Has always been the case for emulators. We still dont have a proper Sega Saturn emulator.
We've had proper Sega Saturn emulators for at least a decade, SSF and recently Mednafen/Beetle have been near flawless with just specific games having real issues (so basically on par with any system without its unwarranted "bad emulation" reputation, like PlayStation, if a tad more demanding).

It's a bit trickier if you want to enhance the visuals with high resolution and what not as the emulators with such options, Yabause forks and Kronos, aren't as advanced, but they keep improving too (plus to most cultured folks such old games look better at native settings with CRT shaders anyway).

PS2 emulation with all its hype is in a far lesser state than Saturn, with many more game specific issues, yet it doesn't have that bad a reputation just because people have been posting sweet high resolution screenshots for many years now. Dreamcast has been ace with Flycast and Redream.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Rpcs3 is great, but ive found many games it says worked didnt with the settings they say to use. Some of the games were last tested compatible in 2020. So a recent test may show issues not mentioned.

Its great to see progress and hardworking is improving things. Im certain they will get close to 100% compatible.

Until it can run the uncharted games without crashing, i think it hasn't got close enough yet.

Guilty_AI

We've had proper Sega Saturn emulators for at least a decade, SSF and recently Mednafen/Beetle have been near flawless with just specific games having real issues (so basically on par with any system without its unwarranted "bad emulation" reputation, like PlayStation, if a tad more demanding).

It's a bit trickier if you want to enhance the visuals with high resolution and what not as the emulators with such options, Yabause forks and Kronos, aren't as advanced, but they keep improving too (plus to most cultured folks such old games look better at native settings with CRT shaders anyway).

PS2 emulation with all its hype is in a far lesser state than Saturn, with many more game specific issues, yet it doesn't have that bad a reputation just because people have been posting sweet high resolution screenshots for many years now. Dreamcast has been ace with Flycast and Redream.
I've been eyeing Sega Saturn emulation for Sakura Wars (since it seems to be the only version with proper english translation), but whatever emulator i looked for didn't seem to be able to run it properly.

Though, since that previous comment, this came out 👇

:pie_thinking:

Alexios

Sakura Wars has worked fine for me since the translation was released in both SSF and Mednafen/Beetle with no special instructions required (other than mounting the iso for SSF). YabaSanshiro on Android (because it's less demanding) did have some graphics issues but I've covered that already.

It's better to invest in learning RetroArch as it's then used similarly for all emulator cores instead of stand alone Mednafen with GUI like Mednaffe. Or just go with SSF stand alone which is relatively simpler too (and again, just needed me to mount the game and run as if playing from disc instead).

Last edited:
would love to play demons souls but don't have a PS3

do you need a PS3 console to dump games or could i try find a disc of the game and use a bluray drive to get the game on my PC? that's what i done with all my PS1/PS2 games.

edit: nevermind lol i just saw the price of blu ray drives. i'll wait until i get a PS5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
I've been eyeing Sega Saturn emulation for Sakura Wars (since it seems to be the only version with proper english translation), but whatever emulator i looked for didn't seem to be able to run it properly.

Though, since that previous comment, this came out 👇

:pie_thinking:

I've been meaning to play that game ever since its translation came out, just gave it a go for 10 minutes on my retro machine (using SSF + ReShade CRT Filter) and it works flawlessly. I don't use Mednafen because my retro machine isn't powerful enough for it, and SSF is nearly flawless as it is and has far lower system requirements.
Sakura Wars has worked fine for me since the translation was released in both SSF and Mednafen/Beetle with no special instructions required (other than mounting the iso for SSF). YabaSanshiro on Android (because it's less demanding) did have some graphics issues but I've covered that already.

It's better to invest in learning RetroArch as it's then used similarly for all emulator cores instead of stand alone Mednafen with GUI like Mednaffe. Or just go with SSF stand alone which is relatively simpler too (and again, just needed me to mount the game and run as if playing from disc instead).

You don't need to mount the ISO imagine, the latest version supports direct play via the emulator.

JLB

Banned
Didnt know that ps3 emulation went so far. Though I guess it still requires monter compuetrs to properly run, its impressive

old-parts

Didnt know that ps3 emulation went so far. Though I guess it still requires monter compuetrs to properly run, its impressive
Nope, if your running the games at original resolution, mid range PC's can handle it fine, there still optimization work to be done for some titles as well which will improve over time.

What you have are people upscaling the games to 4K 60fps brute forcing it with powerful hardware.

Alexios

You don't need to mount the ISO imagine, the latest version supports direct play via the emulator.
It supported that since I tried the game, but for some reason Sakura Wars didn't wanna work without doing that. It's no biggie anyway but good to know it's fixed (or I made the image wrong and that's why it only worked like that at the time). Does the latest SSF also fix the one visual issue I know of, which was in some of the SNK fighting games like Samurai Shodown sprites flickered or disappeared? Not that it really matters since it's best to emulate the arcade versions, which is why I haven't tested them recently, I'm just curious since SSF was basically a software Saturn already other than that one obvious issue. It is cool that it can properly (not wobble filter) deinterlace games so they're full resolution (while still being at native resolution of course) and convert mesh transparencies to real transparencies (though I haven't tested it much to know if it causes issues or can look wrong).

Anyway, the point is Saturn emulation has been great for ages now and it's sad to see misinformation regarding that still spreads online with comments like that and more importantly with videos/threads like VGEsoterica's perpetuating the false myth that there's no good way to play missed greats.

Last edited:
It supported that since I tried the game, but for some reason Sakura Wars didn't wanna work without doing that. It's no biggie anyway but good to know it's fixed (or I made the image wrong and that's why it only worked like that at the time). Does the latest SSF also fix the one visual issue I know of, which was in some of the SNK fighting games like Samurai Shodown sprites flickered or disappeared? Not that it really matters since it's best to emulate the arcade versions, which is why I haven't tested them recently, I'm just curious since SSF was basically a software Saturn already other than that one obvious issue. It is cool that it can properly (not wobble filter) deinterlace games so they're full resolution (while still being at native resolution of course) and convert mesh transparencies to real transparencies (though I haven't tested it much to know if it causes issues or can look wrong).

Anyway, the point is Saturn emulation has been great for ages now and it's sad to see misinformation regarding that still spreads online with comments like that and more importantly with videos/threads like VGEsoterica's perpetuating the false myth that there's no good way to play missed greats.

Yeah, i've tested dozens of games and i haven't encountered an issue or a difference between mounting externally or using the built-in selector. Which is nice, less of a hassle. No idea, haven't checked any SNK fighting game, i'm not a big fan of fighting games in general.

Dunno about SNK arcade ports, but don't generally sleep on Sega Saturn versions of arcade ports! They're usually enhanced in a variety of ways (additional content, tweaks, better graphics, etc.) making the arcade original feel like a bare bones version. Like say, Street Fighter Zero 3 (Alpha 3). There are a million ports of this through various collections and i can perfectly emulate it in MAME. The thing is, every single port is of the arcade version. The Sega Saturn version features all the single - player content that you may be familiar with on the PSX, is a better port than the PSX, and also has some exclusive enhancements and tweaks.

Yeah, i've been using SSF for a looong time. In 99% of cases, it's nearly flawless. Mednafen is getting there (even sprouting some fanboys dissing SSF, lmao), but its compatibility isn't yet as good as SSF. It will be better, its very frequently updated, but i'll stick with SSF for now since it simply works and requires far less powerful hardware which is a plus because i ain't investing any more money in my retro machine.

Last edited:

SNG32

Honestly I’m glad rpcs3 is getting up there on the compatibility scale. PS3 and Xbox 360 are the last few consoles were games weren’t considered as much for a pc port. PS4 has a few games with no PC port but not nearly as much as PS3, PS2, and PS1. Emulation of the holy trinity is that much closer.

Last edited:

Hugare

"The gameplay footage was recorded/played in slow-motion and then the video was sped up in post-production. "

trump fake news GIF

Top Bottom