• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooted: An Upcoming Survival Game Powered by Unreal Engine 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A team of five Game Developers has announced that it is working on an upcoming survival game inspired by The Last of Us. The game is called Rooted and, according to the developers, utilizes MetaHuman and Unreal Engine 5.

As for right now, the game is at its earliest stages, so not much can be said about the plot and the gameplay, however, we can already start speculating about the game's mechanics, as the team has already shared some behind-the-scenes videos, showing some of them.

Feels like an UE5 library asset-flipping demo with nothing else going on to me. But of course I might be wrong. Someone please correct me if so.
I 100% agree with this. Reeks with basic assets, no triple AAA quality and just kind of looks janky. Well it is made by only 5 people, so not really interested.

Not a fan of indie games huh. . .
I like indie games, but not the ones who use base assets and use the latest engine and make the games look trash when the engine is far more capable than that.

Playing Tunic right now and I think its great. I also really enjoyed Death's Door, Transistor and Hades.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Played enough DayZ to just not give a shit about these types of games anymore.

You wouldn't be interested in a AAA DayZ? That games still doing good on steam and I couldn't believe how bad the onboarding and jank was when I played it a few months ago.

This looks nice (for a 5 man team), but I have a feeling it's going to have a tough time in the market when it eventually releases.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The Last of Us II looks better than this. And that's a terrible game with archaic game design. Someone please explain to me how is this incredible.

CamHostage

Feels like an UE5 library asset-flipping demo with nothing else going on to me. But of course I might be wrong. Someone please correct me if so.

Yeah, it's going to be harder to tell the game projects that are really games versus ones cobbled together to attract some attention in the early days. These developers who use existing assets may be working in earnest, and sometimes they actually make good games, but fans should be leery of hype for just clean graphics these days. Particularly when you see "UE5" in the headline, we've got to get over that being a point of excitement (and hopefully will subside once some professional or top-tier studios start really using the tech.)

Maybe we'll get to the point where every game has solid graphics, and it'll just be gameplay we get hyped for? Probably not...

The Last of Us II looks better than this. And that's a terrible game with archaic game design. Someone please explain to me how is this incredible.

It's a BlueDrake. This is what he does when he gets access to a game early; some truly are incredible tech demonstrations, some are just avatar skins and asset drops.

Last edited:

Fbh

Perspective, man. TLOU2 is a game with a budget of several dozen millions and which involved the work of over 2000 people.
This is an indie project made by 5 people.

The game itself isn't impressive (at least yet) but it's just another example of how UE5 seemingly allows even small teams to make some pretty nice looking stuff. It's exciting both for the future of inide games as well as what we'll get when bigger studios with big budgets start working with this engine.

ksdixon

I'm here for TLOU story/gameplay infused games.

The Day Before looks like TLOU x Division.

Another one called Abandonned, I think, looks interesting with the exploding apartment block.

TLOU2 Factions is supposed to still be coming.

TVexperto

they are literally using the new tree forest asset from the unreal marketplace...there is no gameplay, just showing some character walking through this paid asset

Maybe we'll get to the point where every game has solid graphics, and it'll just be gameplay we get hyped for? Probably not...
If only...

AnxiousHandsomeAustralianshelduck-mobile.jpg

If the bulk of gamers cared about gameplay first, the industry would look pretty different. (AAA industry anyway)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The survival genre has boomed considerably over the last decade, thanks to smash-hit releases of the genre including but not limited to Minecraft, Rust, and Valheim among others. Most of these smash hits have originated from small development studios, which have gotten the appropriate platforms to shine with the advent of indie-friendly programs like Steam Early Access. Additionally, streamlined and readily available development tools such as Unreal Engine or Unity have also helped in creating compelling experiences with a high level of polish and varied content without having to dump copious amounts of capital as would be required for any modern AAA title.

Of course, the popularity of the genre isn't waning down anytime soon, and the future holds a ton of interesting and captivating experiences for fans. In this feature series, we have highlighted many such experiences such as the likes of DERELICTS and PROJEKT Z among others. Today, we will be shedding a light on yet another excellent-looking survival game - Rooted. It's a complex game with many moving parts and inspirations, and to that end - we ask, what the hell is exactly Rooted?

Top Bottom