• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROLLERDROME |OT| Tony's Jet Set Bloodsport 2030

8BiTw0LF

Banned
k1lPH66.png

Developer:
vyjtrll.png

Publisher:

vSP32oH.png

WcA7iaw.gif

vqmhEM4.png

Rollerdrome is a singleplayer third person action shooter that seamlessly blends high-octane combat with fluid motion to create an action experience like no other. Dominate with style in cinematic, visceral combat where kills net you health and pulling off tricks and grinds provide you ammunition, in this adrenaline-pumping action shooter.

fcIiAFp.gif

The year is 2030. In a world where corporations rule and the lines between reality and performance are blurred, the public are kept distracted by the violence and excess of a brutal new blood sport — Rollerdrome. We play as Kara Hassan, a contender in the eponymous, brutal arena sport organised to distract the public from some shady politics. Grim! Other than working to become the ultimate champion, you'll also be uncovering a mysterious conspiracy.

8WG6xyX.gif

fgpvN30.jpg

53hUURT.png

A third person action shooter like no other – an original hybrid shooter-skater that blends high octane, visceral combat with fluid movement and tricking mechanics into one complementary and challenging whole.

D4kndaN.gif

A test of skill – Take on a unique challenge throughout the Rollerdrome tournament. Establish your dominance in the field with online leaderboards and push yourself to the limit with the unlockable "Out For Blood" mode for the most extreme test of skill and agility.

iHd0DTD.gif

An original identity – An all-new fully original soundtrack that merges iconic era sounds and tones with cutting edge production to provide a heart-thumping backdrop to the carnage, brought to life with a unique comic-book inspired art style.

A dark conspiracy – Discover a mysterious, sinister plot in this distinct retrofuture universe.

cbrSE0I.gif

phCeEgt.jpg

arnsidG.jpg

ic9DbiP.jpg

eQRuzXE.png

Previewers comments:

DHgrjFr.jpg

Out NOW on:

M00kjoM.png

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Rollerdrome difficulty: Developers explain "god mode" assist options​

How hard is Rollerdrome? The developers tell us why they let you make it easy.
Official screenshot of Rollerdrome.

How hard is Rollerdrome? If you're thinking of trying out the game for the first time, you might be wondering quite how much of a challenge you're in for, especially if you've seen the explosive trailers full of fearsome-looking foes and back-flipping skateboarders.
In our experience, Rollerdrome starts off easy and gradually gets more difficult, but most players should be able to complete it with a bit of perseverance. If you fall off the map at any point, the game loads you back in. But if your health bar drops to zero, you'll have to restart that particular match from the beginning.

If you find yourself losing repeatedly, it's worth remembering that Rollerdrome does have a wide array of 'assist' options. These basically allow you to make your own easy mode. Head to the settings menu, find the assist-related section and you'll see that you can give your character unlimited life and ammo (as well as making reflexes less important).
Turning on assists in Rollerdrome will not halt your progression through the campaign, but using these helpful options will stop your scores from appearing on the leaderboard. When we spoke to the developers prior to the game's launch, they explained why these options are in the game.

David Jenkins, Head of Quality Assurance at Rollerdrome developers Roll7, gave us a lot of insight into the thinking behind these optional assists.

Jenkins explained: "For me, playing games when I was younger, I wasn't particularly good at some of them. I found that I enjoyed the game much more, and I could learn much more about the game, experience more of the game, get better at the game, with those sorts of assists on. They allow you to sort of free your mind a little bit, to kind of focus on individual bits and then go, 'OK, right. I think I've got this now. I've got this. I can do this.'"

Baking these assists in Rollerdrome, Jenkins said, "means that if you're struggling with it, you can still experience the whole game, start to finish, without that sort of blocker, basically, that makes you kind of go, 'OK, well I played this game for an hour, and that's all I've got, I can't do anymore. I give up'".

Rollerdrome gets harder as the House Players get stronger.

Rollerdrome gets harder as the House Players get stronger. Roll7
He continued: "Because we've made the whole game, right? We didn't just make an hour of a game, we made the whole thing, we want everyone to play the whole thing if they can. So yeah, the assists were a very sort of conscious effort to try and ensure that as many people as possible can play as much of the game as possible, and enjoy as much of the game as possible.

"And hopefully, as I said, [players can] learn from those experiences and then use things like the god mode to learn those lines to the level without, you know, only getting two thirds of the way through every time and then getting blown up by something or set on fire or whatever.

"So yeah, personally I'm a big fan of that sort of thing in games in general. I think a good part of the game's fun is the challenge, but there's a law of diminishing returns on that where it becomes too challenging and then it's not fun at all. And these sorts of things allow people to adjust that challenge level to whatever suits them."

Bartski

Gold Member
CGMagazine 10/10
Saving Content 10/10
God is a Geek 9.5/10
Gfinity 9/10
GameGrin 9/10
GAMINGbible 9/10
PSU 8.5/10
Worth Playing 8.5/10
Dexerto 8.5/10
Game Informer 8.5/10
Gamespot 8/10
Push Square 8/10
WellPlayed 8/10

Bartski

Gold Member
Playstation just can't get their shit together with the browser. The demo is online, but only if you search it - it's absent from the PS+ Premium trials menu

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thought this looked neat when it was revealed. Forgot it was releasing so soon, but will have to check it out sometime.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I played Tony hawk like every kid did and I didn't had to think twice how to play it.
I launched it last week... oh boy... I can't even finish the first level. I lost all the skill.
Does... this require tony hawk skills ?!

Yamisan

Trial was great fun and even unlocks trophies on ps5. I will be buying this tonight after work. Had no idea it had no MP though, hopefully they'll add it in the future but I doubt it.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I played Tony hawk like every kid did and I didn't had to think twice how to play it.
I launched it last week... oh boy... I can't even finish the first level. I lost all the skill.
Does... this require tony hawk skills ?!
Yes, but different. Dodging and tricks while shooting enemies.

played for about 20 minutes games is a lot more complex control wise than it looks from trailers. Its a lot of fun really trying to nail combos and get high scores.

Once i get a grasp o nthe controls im sure i wont be able to put it down, feels really good so far though

This game is addictive. Lots to manage as you play. Some levels are only unlocked once you complete x amount of challenges from the set of maps available to you (don't like this aspect)

Apart from my minor gripe, it's a good time

Edit:
Just realised that you can turn off the challenge requirements for progressing to the next stage. Awesome!!

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I played for 30 minutes and had to stop because it's too hot to play games in this weather 🥵

I'm already hooked tho' and know this will be one of those satisfactory games when mastering the controls.

Top Bottom