• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksteady Studios (Developers of Batman Arkham Series) accused of inaction over staff harassment (Holy misogyny, Batman!)

hyperbertha

Im... totally clueless about this take.
“Rocksteady doesn’t have the best reputation for representing women,” she said, citing the highly sexualised design and costuming of characters such as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in previous games. “Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that’s not how women dress.”

llLeonhart

Gold Member
“slurs regarding the transgendered community” and “discussing a woman in a derogatory or sexual manner with other colleagues”, and sexual harassment “in the form of unwanted advances, leering at parts of a woman’s body, and inappropriate comments in the office”.

Daaang, is this what is considered sexual harassment nowadays? Unwanted advances, really? Leering? Jesus Christ the world is going to crash and burn.

Elcid

Banned
Some of the comments in here are disturbing!
200.gif

idrago01

Banned
Indeed. And that the point of my initial post 👍

Hiring the best person for the job is strength. And if that person is a woman, and the person hiring doesn’t give her the job because she’s a woman, then that would make that person a complete fucking idiot.
why would you take the chance knowing that any female can completely f'ck over your company or business at the drop of the hat with any baseless allegation, look at the TLOU2 simps and white knights on here judging in favor of the women already without knowing anything about the case, women can be even bigger arseholes than men and more manipulative, this reflexive "believe all women" attitude and "twitter justice" in the long run is going to be a detriment to females in the work place if things continue the way they are and that's fact

Elcid

Banned
jesus some of you cunts need to go work in an actual office environment with real people, the majority of guys are respectful, the majority of women are fucking normal and not men hating feminists... you get the odd cunt (like a few of you cunts) who everybody just treats like a fucking leper and the world moves on... but as soon as a story raises its head about a woman (oh fucking noes) at odds with SOME of her male colleagues the fucking knives come out and the mudslingin starts, not at the cunts making her feel uncomfortable in the first place like a normal person but somehow its the womans fault... jesus wept
As someone who’s has plenty of direct female reports in the past, I can tell you in general women don’t cause issues at the work place UNTIL someone upsets them. Once they get that taste for blood nothing will stop them from destroying the individual they hate. They will do false assault/harassment claims and whatever else they need to in order to remove that person. In some past cases, me and others were infamously inappropriate and we had zero consequence because they liked it BUT the second one person said something they didn’t like I’d be getting complaints in my office about how I need to get rid of X person. HR escalations, even banging key people (with spouses) to create conflict, etc. Some of us were even side assing these girls and they loved the attention. This has been my experience in 15 years of management. Are all women like that? No of course not, but there are a fuckton like that so this whole victimhood shit is hard for me to swallow. A lot of women in upper management know this all to be true too. That’s the reality, people suck. Both men and women, but to pretend all women are these sacred flowers of virtue is fucking stupid.

Salz01

Why does this come out days before a new batman game is going to be announced? It smells like an agenda to me. I think the next game is going to have all the female characters dressed in potato sacks. I wish this next game was being developed in Asia.

Ellery

Why does this come out days before a new batman game is going to be announced? It smells like an agenda to me. I think the next game is going to have all the female characters dressed in potato sacks. I wish this next game was being developed in Asia.

It is the right thing to do. It goes viral and hurts their bottom line. Otherwise it would be passed into oblivion. It probalby still will.

I think there are a lot of erotic games on Steam that might be up your alley coming straight out of asia.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
As someone who’s has plenty of direct female reports in the past, I can tell you in general women don’t cause issues at the work place UNTIL someone upsets them. Once they get that taste for blood nothing will stop them from destroying the individual they hate. They will do false assault/harassment claims and whatever else they need to in order to remove that person. In some past cases, me and others were infamously inappropriate and we had zero consequence because they liked it BUT the second one person said something they didn’t like I’d be getting complaints in my office about how I need to get rid of X person. HR escalations, even banging key people (with spouses) to create conflict, etc. Some of us were even side assing these girls and they loved the attention. This has been my experience in 15 years of management. Are all women like that? No of course not, but there are a fuckton like that so this whole victimhood shit is hard for me to swallow. A lot of women in upper management know this all to be true too. That’s the reality, people suck. Both men and women, but to pretend all women are these sacred flowers of virtue is fucking stupid.

I don't pretend for a moment all women are innocent otherwise id be hanging with the fucking loons over at Resetera, they're human beings and as such subject to being just as cuntish as men, my point was that as soon as something like this comes up without any evidence to the contrary the overwhelming consensus imo seems to be negative towards the woman

idrago01

Banned
I don't pretend for a moment all women are innocent otherwise id be hanging with the fucking loons over at Resetera, they're human beings and as such subject to being just as cuntish as men, my point was that as soon as something like this comes up without any evidence to the contrary the overwhelming consensus imo seems to be negative towards the woman
because 9/10 times it’s all bullshiet and ends up costing people their jobs/career or money from a company for no reason.

Fbh

So basically.... unspecific and unverified claims of "harassment" and "comments" made ...oh and also their female characters are sexy and the devs don't care about how women actually dress while designing their game about a dude in a bat suit fighting a clown.

THe horror!!!

Bryank75

Banned
They make great games....so just fire all the women and there will be no misogyny.... no chance of sexism etc.

That solves that.

Elcid

Banned
They make great games....so just fire all the women and there will be no misogyny.... no chance of sexism etc.

That solves that.
This is basically what ends up happening, then if you’re forced to hire a woman because of muh diversity you basically isolate the in fear of a lawsuit but then they still sue anyways because they felt discriminated because everyone avoided them like the fucking plague. There’s no way to win these days.

Also slightly awkward for her with all the talk in the video about how she was doing all of this to stand up for or protect the other women at the company.

NickFire

"The signatory said the dismissive attitude towards women had in the past carried over into the company’s output. “Rocksteady doesn’t have the best reputation for representing women,” she said, citing the highly sexualised design and costuming of characters such as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in previous games. “Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that’s not how women dress.”"

I don't understand how someone who seemingly objects to the Margot Robbie type of portrayal of Harley (from Suicide Squad) would ever take a job at a company making video games portraying her. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I feel like the sports equivalent would be a baseball commissioner wanting to make home runs a ground rule triple to protect the pitcher's feelings.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
giphy.gif

All these companies ruined one after the other by false caracterisation or accusation. This is not misogyny and there was no assault or harassement as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Can someone explain to me why false, unsubstantiated or libellous claims are legal in the US? How come those powerful companies don't or won't protect themselves?

Granted there are actual cases of harassements and aggressions, and problems of representation and hiring are real, but about 80% of what I see are false/libellous accusations which in most civilised countries are illegal.

NickFire

Can someone explain to me why false, unsubstantiated or libellous claims are legal in the US? How come those powerful companies don't or won't protect themselves?

Granted there are actual cases of harassements and aggressions, and problems of representation and hiring are real, but about 80% of what I see are false/libellous accusations which in most civilised countries are illegal.
Bear in mind that even if they are not illegal in the criminal sense, they are punishable by civil damages. But companies have to make strategic decisions, including cost, exposure during discovery, and their public image. There is always a blogger masquerading as a journalist who will be more than willing to frame the company's response as further victimization and/or proof they victimized someone in the first place just for clicks from people who want to hear that. And I haven't even mentioned that companies can be found civilly liable for retaliating against people who claimed discrimination, even if the entire claim of discrimination is proven false. No joke. In at least some states someone can falsely say a person sexually harassed me in court, get fired for the false statement made in court, be found to have lied, and still get money for being fired over the false statement.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Bear in mind that even if they are not illegal in the criminal sense, they are punishable by civil damages. But companies have to make strategic decisions, including cost, exposure during discovery, and their public image. There is always a blogger masquerading as a journalist who will be more than willing to frame the company's response as further victimization and/or proof they victimized someone in the first place just for clicks from people who want to hear that. And I haven't even mentioned that companies can be found civilly liable for retaliating against people who claimed discrimination, even if the entire claim of discrimination is proven false. No joke. In at least some states someone can falsely say a person sexually harassed me in court, get fired for the false statement made in court, be found to have lied, and still get money for being fired over the false statement.

So false accusations and libels are legal or protected to some degree. That's madness. That's why these american companies are being destroyed one after the other, now I would wonder why the orange clown hasn't pushed for a law about it, but then false accusations are a great political tool...

thief183

Indeed. And that the point of my initial post 👍

Hiring the best person for the job is strength. And if that person is a woman, and the person hiring doesn’t give her the job because she’s a woman, then that would make that person a complete fucking idiot.
When you hire someone you need to think about everything, expecially in states where firing someone is a pain in the ass. If hiring a woman will expose me and my other ppl to this kind of problem I will gladly avoid it.

You can be the best worker of the planet, but if you make me close I'm fked anyway.

I wander how many of you guys have a business and ppl to pay every month.

Last edited:

There are no problems of" representation and hiring" that I'm aware of.
I guess I would have to hear the facts I'm supposedly overlooking.

(...) r, now I would wonder why the orange clown hasn't pushed for a law about it, but then false accusations are a great political tool...

Congrats.
You did it.
You actually managed to fault the Orange Man in a completely unrelated topic.
No one noticed.
You're so clever.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
YDCResu.jpg

I'd argue that Rocksteady actually showed some restraint with Harley compared to how some "real" women approach the character. I'm not a fan of overly sexy Harley either but a large contingent of her fanbase, male and female, absolutely do.
Hey is anybody else's computer freezing on this post. For some reason, I can't scroll past it and I can't help the sinking feeling that nothing else on this thread matters anymore.

What a hot mess! I’m so sick of cancel culture and SJWs on social media. I’m a millennial, but my generation and the zoomers are generally a disgrace to mankind. I’m even seeing these people put (he/him) in their LinkedIn names. Smh.

It gets worse. Female Rocksteady employee's are now coming out of anonymity to distance and contradict the report. This woman here is a self proclaimed feminist and still made a whole thread against it. Kim Macaskill is starting to look pretty damned right about now. Lady who tweeted said the women felt violated by their source, (Kim) because they didn't want it out and it was only pertaining to seemingly old issues from 2018.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Honestly... coed workspaces are mistake when you're developing fantasy entertainment for a specific gender. And don't give me "women can like Batman games too", because no one is under even the slightest obligation to make something appealing to a group outside the primary audience. If others like it, cool, but they shouldn't so much as a move a single pixel to appease them.

Of course, the real reason that "must have a diverse audience" nonsense runs everything isn't even wokeness per se, it's just this narrow investor kind of thinking that demands the broadest, lowest common denominator audience for everything to gain the most revenue, rather than making excellent content for a more dedicated fanbase.

The signatory said the dismissive attitude towards women had in the past carried over into the company’s output. “Rocksteady doesn’t have the best reputation for representing women,” she said, citing the highly sexualised design and costuming of characters such as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in previous games. “Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that’s not how women dress.

Men don't actually dress up in batsuits either, but thank God for our imaginations and fantasy worlds.

Anyhow, making a Suicide Squad game is an incredibly lame choice, so I don't particularly care what they do with it. Nothing around that property recently has been more than semi-woke trash pushed by various media because they desperately need some kind of female hero story.

Last edited:

koloss85

Neo Member
What a hot mess! I’m so sick of cancel culture and SJWs on social media. I’m a millennial, but my generation and the zoomers are generally a disgrace to mankind. I’m even seeing these people put (he/him) in their LinkedIn names. Smh.
It's so cringe. At my job people also put their pronouns in their work email signatures. But it's this way from the top down. Work and games-No escaping it.

Top Bottom